Oral Vit K? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-10-2003, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read the previous posts regarding vit. k (thanks Insider and Hilary for your helpful info.), but haven't found some specifics I'm looking for - wondering if any of you can help.

I just received the pkg. insert from for Phytonadione (Vit. K) and found that the product contains aluminum(!) We're definitely not giving this shot at birth - although it's the law here in IL - should be a fun battle with the nurses apres birth.

My question - does anyone have experience with administering vit. K orally to their newborns? And if so, where do you find the product?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-10-2003, 07:32 PM

Vit k isn't typically needed. But what I did this birth was take Shaklee Alfalfa pills..which are high in Vit k and then the baby would get it through the breast milk. Vit k is used to blood clotting and typically unless you have a hard birth or circumcise you shouldn't need it, as I understand it.

As far as you law goes..it is just about law everywhere in the states..but typically they dont' fight you about it..they just make you sign a waver stating that you refused it.
#3 of 4 Old 10-10-2003, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My friend, who is an MD, does oral Vit K with the same injectible stuff. The mw I apprenticed with used to get tablets of Vit K, then quarter them. We'd then grind it down, add a bit of warm water and administer it that way.

If you do oral Vit K, supposedly you have to give it more often than just once at birth.
#4 of 4 Old 10-16-2003, 04:34 AM

Quote:
As far as you law goes..it is just about law everywhere in the states..but typically they dont' fight you about it..they just make you sign a waver stating that you refused it.
I just wanted to mention that I live in Nevada and Vitamin K administration is not "law". In fact, there was no "permission" form for that or the antibiotic eyedrops, like there was the Hepatitis B vaccine. In fact, my hospital didn't have waivers for any of the above.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page