Prevnar, Hib, Polio...Q's & Introduction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-11-2003, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay -- first of all, I'm Carolynn & my beautiful baby boy, Ian is a little over 8 months old. He had his 2 month round of shots, and at 4 months had Prevnar -- which had not been available at 2 months & the Dr. assured me was one of the "safest" and most tested ("they regularily give it to elderly") and hardest to keep in stock...blah blah blah... I hadn't intend to give him anymore shots until his 6 month but she talked me into that one. My plan had been that at 6 months I would start taking him in every 2 months for 1 shot. Then 6 months rolled around and he had been sick & was just too little and I said we'd start at 9 months...

Now that 9 months is getting close, I'm inclined to change my mind again -- this time for good! I was pretty much scared to go against the grain (& since my dh hadn't bothered to look into it, he was only inclined to compromise so much...). Now the more I look into it, the more I don't understand why I would EVER want to put this crap into my baby. I'm on the brink of saying @#$%^&$ compromise! I have already told my dh he needs to get serious & help me look into this because it's important!

So now I'm supposed to send him links to read, and books as well. I've got a few earmarked, and I'm going to check ebay then Amazon next for that book goodpapa has recommended repeatedly (forgot the name -- the one that is a quick 150 pg. read).

Now... one to my q's. I just read the big loooooong thread on Prevnar & Hib (with a short mention of Polio, I think). I'm not all that great with medical lingo, and Hilary's quirky sense of humor/sarcasm throws me off sometimes (maybe because I'm going crosseyed from all this monitor reading!), so I want to make sure I'm getting things straight. Kinda "in a nutshell," ya know? From what I understand penicillin-resistant pneumococci is caused/encouraged by the hib vaccine, and hib was worstened by -- polio? So is pneumococci what they developed prevnar for?

Is that right? I'm trying to organize my thoughts & ALL this information so I can coherently explain it. I also see that there is a Hib & DPT thing (with Tetramune)-- but is that something that is done differently in the US -- I thought here there was Hib & DPaT - or something like that - I might have my initials wrong there.

Ugg. I know this is just a couple of the vaccines -- I have TONS left to research! I'm sure I'll make a pest of myself before I'm finished. Oh, and if anyone knows a non-vax friendly ped/family Dr. in the Sarasota/Bradenton, FL area...

Thanks in advance for all the help ladies -- and gents!
#2 of 14 Old 10-11-2003, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
"Okay -- first of all, I'm Carolynn & my beautiful baby boy, Ian is a little over 8 months old."

Congrats, on your little one!

"I'm on the brink of saying @#$%^&$ compromise! I have already told my dh he needs to get serious & help me look into this because it's important!"

Yes. Both of you should be on board on this one.

"So now I'm supposed to send him links to read, and books as well. "

I don't know if you have seen my cheat sheet. But here it is:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=57794

That might help in your reasearching.

also..this is from my state2 thread...

Florida discussion:

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sh...ghlight=florida

more florida discussion:

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sh...ghlight=florida

I'll let others come in on the Prevnar stuff...

good luck

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#3 of 14 Old 10-11-2003, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks trabot -- I have actually found your cheat sheet (although I am only at the very beginning of going through it). And the Florida discussions as well -- told you I was -eyed! It will make it easier having all the links here so my dh can follow them easier.

So here's what my trip to Books-A-Million & the library netted me:

How to Raise A Healthy Child In Spite of Your Doctor (bought this one -- heard so many rave reviews that I thought it must me worth it )

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations by Stephanie Cave, MD, FAAFP with Deborah Mitchell (looks to be middle of the road with a bent towards not vaxing)

Vaccines Are They Really Safe & Effective? by Neil Z. ****** (looks to be pretty good)

Pocket Guide to Vaccination and Prophylaxis (looks like a straightforward definition of each vaccine & some possible side-effects, etc.)

What Every Parent Should Know About Vaccines by Paul A. Offit, MD & Louis M. Bell, MD (After reading the first 3 pages of this I can tell you that it gets what my dh would call a "three plop" rating...ya know .... :LOL -- the first page tells you about the 66,000+ children in the US that vaccines save from death, disablilty, & paralysis every year. : I'm sure it will only get better, :Puke but at least it will be the "other side" of the argument & my dh wanted to see that too.)

Well I'm off to relax, watch some "Hackers," and read my other bargain book tonight -- a highly educational book...The Bride by Julie Garwood. We all need our down time! :LOL
#4 of 14 Old 10-12-2003, 01:27 PM

RE:

"and at 4 months had Prevnar -- which had not been available at 2 months & the Dr. assured me was one of the "safest" and most tested ("they regularily give it to elderly") and hardest to keep in stock...blah blah blah... "

Ugh, another lying dr. Boy, they will say ANYTHING to push a vaccine. Either your dr is a liar, or just plain doesn't know anything about vaccines other than they are to be pushed.

FROM THE PREVNAR INSERT:

FOR PEDIATRIC USE ONLY

GERIATRIC USE

This vaccine is NOT recommended for use in adult populations. It is not to be used as a substitute for the pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine in geriatric populations.

Prevnar was just licensed 2/17/00, so there is NOT a lot of tested history behind it.

The first and only link you will need to send your doc is this,

http://www.wyeth.com/content/ShowLabeling.asp?id=134

The insert for Prevnar. When he has read it, you can tell him,

based on the misinformation you have already given me, I will have to take up my concerns with someone who has more accurate vaccine information.

Guess your doc just doesn't routinely read the inserts for the vaccines he is pushing.

Christine
#5 of 14 Old 10-12-2003, 01:31 PM

Quote:
What Every Parent Should Know About Vaccines by Paul A. Offit, MD & Louis M. Bell, MD
in my opinon, you can set this one on fire and throw it from a moving vehicle.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#6 of 14 Old 10-12-2003, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
I agree with an occasional book burning but please don't throw burning books out of moving vehicles!

Cheers,
Deborah
#7 of 14 Old 10-12-2003, 02:37 PM

-
#8 of 14 Old 10-12-2003, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Hilary
T :LOL

On Guy Fawkes night.

Hee, hee, hee! I am not sure that many of the US non-vax'ers even know what Guy Fawkes night is!!!

Deborah

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#9 of 14 Old 10-13-2003, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Nope -- no clue who Guy Fawkes is... sounds familiar, though!

Ya'll make me laugh with your book burning & Paul Offit *ahem* dislike . :LOL

Amnesiac -- very succinct -- thanks for that! I thought that was what I was getting, but it's nice to have it reinforced.

Suschi -- why should my Dr. research things when the gov't says it's fine -- after all, they would never lead us wrong! : And thanks for the insert -- especially since I'd never seen one before...or had one offered to me -- surprise, surprise. All I got was a "What you need to know" paper the CDC puts together. Hmmm.. I see now that is has a "How can I learn more" section that says you can ask for the insert, or call the CDC or health dept. immunization dept., etc.

Quote:
It's the only thing that prevents me going round the bend.
Hilary -- and without it I would have been falling asleep trying to assimulate all that data!

Hmmm...well I'm off to start laughing & : at Offit...hey -- would you say he's "offit his rocker?"

:LOL wow..it is definitely past my bedtime :LOL
#10 of 14 Old 10-13-2003, 10:05 AM

....at least.

Jamie Murphy's "What Every Parent Should Know About Childhood Immunization"

No more Child Sacrifice!

Ray
#11 of 14 Old 10-13-2003, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Don't worry goodpapa -- I'll get it! I just need to order it off Amazon -- the library & Books A Million didn't carry it -- actually, I think I bought/borrowed ALL the books on vaxing that they did carry/have in stock! Kinda pathetic, huh.
#12 of 14 Old 10-13-2003, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

K -- I had to google this Fawkes guy... NOOOOOOWWW I GET IT!! Here's the link, if anyone else is curious.

:LOL Now I can laugh too... roast incumbent...wine cellar...

Hilary -- you mean you haven't heard about how arrogant Americans are? And lazy... we can hardly be bothered to learn our own history!
#13 of 14 Old 10-13-2003, 12:58 PM

American Flag with a lil' bit o' history!

http://www.foundingfathers.info/stories/gadsden.html

Ya say ya wanna revooluutioonn...we-ell ya know...

Ray
#14 of 14 Old 10-14-2003, 12:55 AM

AHEM....*clears throat*

Remember, remember, the fifth of November,
Gunpowder, treason, and plot!
I see no reason
Why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!

Not every Amurican is completely iggerant, ya know....

I'd be happy to roast the current incumbent US Resident in effigy in honor of Guy Fawkes Day. Or throw a burning book under a minivan with Offit, the Resident in Chief, the Veep, and Rummy....

But back to the original topic. Since my baby is a) breastfed and b) not in daycare I see absolutely no reason for Prevnar or Hib. I'd rather keep him healthy through my diet and his than alter his bacterial flora on the off-chance it might protect against some relatively rare causes of meningitis.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page