Surgery and Nonvaxers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-11-2003, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to share that my ds yesterday had a hernia surgery. And yes, my ds is not vaxed (although everyone here knows that) anyway, just to go over the pertinent issues for this forum..

DS had his original appointment with his surgeon about 3-4 months ago. The intake nurse asked about shots and I said he had none that we were delaying.
Nothing more was asked.

Then earlier this week he had an appointment with his ped (required by the surgeon) and the peditrician filled out the paperwork for the surgery team...weight, height, good health etc. and there on the paper work it did say, "parents refused all shots."
I loved the word refused.. but so, what.

then yesterday we went to the outpatient hospital. and again we were asked one more time by nurse shot status. I said, "We're delaying."
The end.

No one said anything else and ds had his surgery. It lasted less than an hour. He was home within a couple hours and by late afternoon he was his old self.

We survived the nonvax surgery hospital scene pretty unscated.

by the way, my girlfriend's daughter who is completely unvaxed had heart surgery and no one even asked about her vax status. she had her surgery at 4.

just wanted to put this thread out here because I know this topic comes up periodically.

by the way, Hilary was very helpful for me, with some beatuiful homeopathic suggestions which I followed.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#2 of 5 Old 10-11-2003, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Trabot-

I am glad the surgery went well for your DS. I hope he continues to heal well.

I have a younger sister who had an injury at birth - none of us were ever vaxed...

- the right side of her neck was bruised in a fast l breech delivery which necessitated some repair at a later date ...

...she had surgery at the age of five to correct some residual problem at Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital in 1967....

No problems... she is still alive today to tell the tale...

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#3 of 5 Old 10-11-2003, 06:00 PM

Congratulations on getting through a very stressful situation. My son had hernia surgery in December at 8 months old and it was much more stress going into it than was probably necessary. We had pretty much the same vax experience -- asked several times, but no pressure.

I just found a copy of a post I wrote after the surgery. So here was my experience:

I haven’t posted much lately and never did post about a surgery Frederick had to have (scrotal hernia). Part of that is because I was trying to keep my depressed mind off of the event. But the fact is, I have been planning for this date for a long time. I finally made the switch to cloth diapers back in August because I knew the wound would heal faster, now we’re cloth diaper lovers. I have been on a strict diet and have been taking supplements to help in liver function (recommended by the chiropractor – another advantage of bfing).

The surgery was Wednesday. We went to a regional children’s hospital which is a top-ranked facility. But we are in a very depressed area, so I was worried about his exposure to diseases while there (thus the diet and supplements). They took his vitals and such, we changed him into some very big hospital pajamas, and discussed the procedure. Their policy is that right after surgery before they come out of anesthesia, they are in a first recovery room without their parents. We did our best to convince them that I should be in there. They didn’t budge. Part of the intake questions included “does he drink juice.” I said “why do you ask if he drinks juice? If I get to join him as soon as he wakes up, why do you need to know about juice?” They assured me that he wouldn’t get juice or formula, but kept using conditionals (“he shouldn’t get a bottle”). I nearly threw a fit. I told them that formula would mess up his intestinal tract and would lower his immune response, that the sugar in the juice would do the same thing, and that both would lead to thrush. I wanted a guarantee that he would get no supplements. I don’t know what kind of secret codes they put on the charts, but I think they had someone sprint to bring us into the recovery room when he woke up and then they put us in a private room away from the madness of the other children.

In the recovery room, he nursed vigorously and fell asleep for about an hour and we were able to take him home. He slept for about an hour and a half on the way home and then has been his normal self ever since.

So it is clear that this episode was much more of a trauma for the adults around here than for the baby.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#4 of 5 Old 10-12-2003, 01:59 AM

Trabot,

I'm so glad to hear that everything went well for you. I hope your ds has a quick and wonderful recovery. I'm sure you're breathing easier, now that it's over.

I think it's great too, that when you said you were delaying the vaxes, they left it at that and didn't hassle you.

#5 of 5 Old 10-16-2003, 04:42 AM

Glad to hear everything went well!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page