well, for us, we thought HIB was stupid as our child was breastfed and not in group care.
Hep B, totally not at risk for.
MMR, IPV and Varivax all have antibiotics in them so those are out as my entire family is allergic to them.
Prevnar, too new.
so all that left was DTaP. I did email a guy at the CDC and asked about delaying vaxes and how that affects the doses. with DTaP, they get 4 or 5 doses regardless of age. with HIB, they only need one dose if you wait until they are 2, and 2 doses if you do it after 12 months.
this is the link he sent me: http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/pink/
(check the chapter on each disease).
my daughter is now 2 and we haven't vaxed her yet and i think we'll be putting it off until she's 6 or 7, if we do it then. at first i was like you and thought we'd start at 6 months and do one shot per visit and have at least one month in between. but after perusing the CDC site, i decided we could wait quite a bit longer than 6 months to start if we start at all. my main concern was the antibiotics in the injections. i'm just not willing to risk an allergic reaction like i've experienced in my baby, KWIM?
when i thought i would sel. vax, my plan was to do DTaP starting at 6 months, 12 months, 2 years and 4 years, and get HIB if she went into a group setting at some point.
i hope that was a little helpful. i hate that this is even an issue. we should not even have to agonize over our babies' health.