Any non-vaxers get flu shots? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2003, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious if anyone here won't vax their kids but gets flu shots for themselves? Or, does anyone at all get flu shots?

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2003, 08:03 PM
Banned

Naaaa! Once I started reading all the icky stuff that goes into vax's I don't want them poking around with my immune system either! :LOL I'd rather risk getting the flu.

(flu doesn't scare me, but the funky junk that's in their vax does.) :Puke
Old 10-13-2003, 09:18 PM

Nope, but my inlaws think we get one every year, so shhhhhh.....
Old 10-14-2003, 07:31 PM

um no.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Old 10-14-2003, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
gawd no.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Old 10-14-2003, 09:43 PM

Used to work in a grocery store, found how effective the flu shot is. Most people who came through my line with the flu said "I just got the flu shot how can I have the flu?' It started my thinking. Hmmm if that vaccine doesnt work how many other dont?

My m/w furthered our anti vaccine stance by telling us her sons experience with a reaction.

So long story short, No flu shot for us.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:22 AM

I'm 9 mo. pregnant and my OB told me (half laughing) that I'm supposed to get the flu shot....give me a break.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No way. Our ped said he doesnt even recommend the flu shot because it still contains mercury. (but then he threw in "but I still go along with the AAP" in a quiet voice) :LOL

Desiree

Old 10-15-2003, 02:44 PM

Nope, nope, nope.

Got it once at my high school when 15. It didn't work...maybe because the vax doesn't protect you, maybe because the vax wasn't for the flu strain I got exposed to. Whatever.:

Decided that was a waste of time.

Later on decided vaccines were not the miracle cure they were touted to be.

The rest is history.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:47 AM

No. None of us do. I don't see a reason for it.

I've never had the vax. DH had been vaxed pre-vax awareness. My brother was vaxed last year (I couldn've killed him myself!) and got a VERY bad case of the flu. My dad's side of the family always gets vaxed.:
Old 10-25-2003, 05:10 AM

no way, i would rather have the flu!!!!
having the vax is just not worth it, besides, don't many people get sick from the vax itself (flu like ysmptoms?)

no thank you!!!
Old 10-25-2003, 09:27 PM

Oh no! We do NOT get the flu shot!!! Why would I want to inject me or my kids with something like that? ESPECIALLY when it's not even effective! How many people actually GET the flu after the shot? TOO MANY! No thanks. I'll take my chances with the "real thing"!
Teniece
Megan 8.10.99
Jacob 10.22.01
Old 10-25-2003, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
No, we never got any flu shots.

I remember working for a catering service and every autumn wedding I worked at, the old people were not there because they were sick after having their flu shot. Go figure.

MY MIL, of blessed memory, was proud to tell me she was going to get her physical one year and get her flu shot at the same time. She was not a healthy person, but the shot put her immune system in a tailspin that she never recovered from. She was sick Christmas and died finally on Mother's Day. It was a long and miserable death.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 10-25-2003, 10:39 PM

My Grandma got the flu shot once. She got sicker from it then she would have if she had gotten the flu naturally. She never got the shot again, and neither will I or my children.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:59 AM

Quote:
I remember working for a catering service and every autumn wedding I worked at, the old people were not there because they were sick after having their flu shot.
When I was in nursing school, we trained in the nursing homes right before flu season. The week before we came all the residents got their flu shots. The week we were there, something like 6 residents died. That was unheard of! Even then, before I knew anything of a vax controversy, I felt in my gut those deaths were related to the vaccines those poor old folks were given.

lisa

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
Old 10-27-2003, 06:32 PM

I was just talking to my 36-week pg friend today on the phone and she told me she just got her flu shot. She plans on not vaxing her baby and I just don't understand why she got the shot. I asked her why and she said "because they told me I needed it". She had walking pneumonia a couple months ago--they said she was higher risk. ????? I'm very disappointed in her decision.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:47 PM

No way man! The flu shot is a way for pharms to make money off people afraid of the flu. We know how to take care of our bodies so that they are strong enough to fight off diseases, including the flu. My babes are healthy, and so are dh and I!
Old 10-30-2003, 01:49 AM

well, there are a lot of factors that influence which person gets sick, and who doesn't- my first son has ecxema and catches everything under the sun, my second son is almost always healthy and if he does catch stuff it fizzles out soon, and they were both exclusively breastfed forever... my dd who was mostly bf but had some formula time with her grandma (before i got militant) never gets sick.

same diets, same environment. different genes. the flu can be nasty stuff, so i have a healthy respect for it, no pun intended.

great living conditions no doubt help keep us healthy, but are not going to keep everyone from dying from a really nasty virus that happens along... that said, no way do we inject (or inhale : ) that crap into our bodies. never had one, never will.

suse
Old 10-30-2003, 02:12 AM

No way.

I think I got the flu when my DS was a baby (6 months) it was a real drag (aches, pains, tired) but I'd rather have the flu than get the stupid shot.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 10-31-2003, 03:29 PM

We will vaccinate our daughter, just not yet. I get flu shots, I have pretty severe asthma and have been hospitalized all 3 times I've gotten the flu...so I try to avoid that. Last year I made DH get a flu shot too, since we were denying the synergis shots for our daughter (who was just barely pre-mature) I thought us getting flu shots so she wouldn't catch it was a good plan...not sure if it worked or not since she didn't catch the flu, but she did get RSV at the tail end of the season, but she didn't get all that sick...it was bad, but not bad enough to be in the hospital...

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
Old 10-31-2003, 10:37 PM

last two years since they still contain mercury
but one has an exemption

My late MIL poor thing they made her get one every year and every year she got the flu!!

User Tag List