Travel & Vax? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-06-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question for non-vax (and delayed/ selected but I thought I would start here) families...

Do you travel with your non-vax kiddos to developing countries (I'm not talking Europe, Australia, etc) and if so how do you reconcile with the myriad of illnesses more prevalent there than here?
Or do you not plan to travel in developing nations with your kids?

FWIW - we selected/ delayed with DS and are now at the age where we are having to play catch up. It's been very difficult for DH and I, we very much see both sides of this coin. But I think the clincher is that in 2 years we're be traveling full time and DS will be in mostly developing nations for many years where not only will the regular USA requirements are suggested but so many more. :

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-06-2008, 01:56 PM

Here is my opinion on this:

The less compromised and immune system the more efficient it will work in times of need.

Every vaccine injection tricks the immune system for a short time. The effectiveness is waning soon after receiving it.

To rely on vaccines is taking a chance. To rely on an intact immune system is playing it safe.

That goes for anywhere in the world.
#3 of 8 Old 07-10-2008, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
Here is my opinion on this:

The less compromised and immune system the more efficient it will work in times of need.

Every vaccine injection tricks the immune system for a short time. The effectiveness is waning soon after receiving it.

To rely on vaccines is taking a chance. To rely on an intact immune system is playing it safe.

That goes for anywhere in the world.
:
#4 of 8 Old 07-14-2008, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

It is a good point, but doesn't really answer the question.

I am wondering about the issue of travel with non-vax (or delayed/ selected) families. Has anyone been to a developing country with their non-vax kiddos? Did anyone decide to vax b/c of travel? Have you decided as a family to avoid places where disease is more widespread that the good ol usa?

I am not looking for a debate, just wanting to hear how others have handled the issue. Thanks!

p.s. MODS - maybe this should be moved to the general vax forum?

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#5 of 8 Old 07-19-2008, 02:00 AM

As we begin our vax research, we're wondering the same thing. We love to travel and seem to holiday in S.E. Asia most years as well. We plan on travelling in the majority world plenty once our babe reaches 12 months.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#6 of 8 Old 07-19-2008, 12:06 PM

I'm not sure if this helps but DS is 3 1/2 and had all his vax's up till he was 2. That when i decided not to vax anymore..never. We have traveled to Panama, Dominican Republic, and currently live in cental Mexico about 6 months out of the year. All places we have been are far from tourist areas. So we are in the countries so to speak. DS is still bf so i rely on his immune system to fight off what ever his little body comes in contact with. I will not lie that sometimes i do get scared what he may come in contact with. Right now we have horrible mequitos with all kinds of bad diseaes going around. He has a crouping cough with fever. But the croup is viral so there is nothing we can do. I'm also very very hesitant about taking him to any docts here in MX as they are super duper injection and antibiotic friendly. Unless we have a broken bone i will not go to any doc here. I would keep a stash of homeopathic remedies on hand for the just incases and have fun.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#7 of 8 Old 07-19-2008, 05:30 PM

So we selective/delay(now, but not from the start...I think at 9 months we kinda did this?)...here is something I wrote on another post about it yesterday...

"I'm currently living in Mali(West Africa). DS, thankfully, did not need to get the yellow fever because he was under 1 when we came here. BUT if you are over 1, you need it to get a visa and enter the country(there is a man in a white coat at the airport who will vaccinate you on the spot if you do not have proof of vaccination. Most places you can only find when you go to their embassy web site looking for a visa.

We too are a travelling family who go to far corners of the globe sometimes far from adequate medical care. I've seen kids who can't get to a Dr. fast enough, its not pretty, with some things and thats why we delay/are selective. Not only for now, but also realizing that this is a lifestyle for us and will be for DS for a while, most likely his whole life. Some folks think even travelling you don't need them. I agree, good hygine and nutrition play a big role, but even those things aren't always a given. We've found ourselves in villages where all of us have had no protein for a week, after seeing chickens brought for our consumption disappear. We all got sick that week....

I think you have to think about the life you lead and the one your dc will be a part of and see if anything important jumps out. I was confused too, perhaps I still am, because I know things are always more complicated than they seem on any side of an argument. There is always a scary story for either side that is always an extreme. I wanted/still want someone to just tell me what to do sometimes! But as a parent, I have to do what is right for us, and that is selective/delayed."

And I decided that we would follow the Dr. Sears selective schedule. What I like about it is it weighs the benefits/risks for local AND travel vacs...ok, doesn't do like yellow fever or anything.

Its such a hard thing when you travel places where hygine and nutrition are harder than people realize sometimes, where you see the diseases around...I will say this, when we are here and eating well, well washed and sleeping good, we are all healthy. The minute that is comprimised someone gets a bad cold/giarrdia/ameobas, etc, kwim?

. This is hard for travelling families. Good luck in your decision. I will say, I have not met a family who lives in the developping world not at least do some vax. I'd be interested as well in knowing if they are out there.

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#8 of 8 Old 07-20-2008, 12:00 PM

Moving over to the main forum.

You might also like to read some of these:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=241
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=811936

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page