What do you do if you travel to third-world countries? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-08-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First off, let me say this is not an attempted attack. I'm just curious and am honestly seeking information.

I'm new to the concept of non-vaxing, and as a world traveler (Europe, third-world Africa, and middle-east), I wonder what would you do if you were taking your DC to a third-world country? I mean, our daughter travels everywhere w/ us, and we've been in some pretty harsh conditions, definitely ones where diseases that she's been vaxed against are NOT obsolete and hospitals are bad.

Would you just not travel to these places? Or would you vaccinate based on what the risk is?

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#2 of 13 Old 07-08-2008, 11:09 PM

I would probably wait to travel with her until she is much older (10-11 years old?), and the vax for what is really necessary, maybe polio and mmr- thats what I would do.
My husbands family is from greece, and i wont even go there until my son is older becuase I have no idea what he can catch and I dont want him to be young and possibly more vulnerable.
#3 of 13 Old 07-08-2008, 11:15 PM

We've been to cental american countries(Panama, Mexico, Dominican Republic) with ds and he's 3 1/2 and vax'd up till the age of 2. I do not worry at all. We also live in Mexico about 6 months out of the year. Have free range chickens and you name it all around us. The hospitals do scare me. However i have no fear of his lack of vax's. If we were to go to a country that has certain fevers or diseases i would think about getting vax'd as a family. Africa and parts of India. Again it would depend on where we are going too.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#4 of 13 Old 07-09-2008, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsirris View Post
I would probably wait to travel with her until she is much older (10-11 years old?), and the vax for what is really necessary, maybe polio and mmr- thats what I would do.
My husbands family is from greece, and i wont even go there until my son is older becuase I have no idea what he can catch and I dont want him to be young and possibly more vulnerable.
what exactly would he catch in greece that he wouldn't get in the US?

http://www.who.int/vaccines/globalsu...cfm?C='grc'

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationGreece.aspx

we almost booked a vacation there this year. i'm not seeing any strange and unusual diseases...you know? it's not exactly a "risky" country.
#5 of 13 Old 07-09-2008, 11:27 AM

I would have no concerns about traveling as long as we had access to clean food and water. And I would not travel with a young child where we did not- vax status would not be an issue.

-Angela
#6 of 13 Old 07-09-2008, 06:15 PM

I would be more worried about intestinal parasites then from a VPD.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#7 of 13 Old 07-09-2008, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

And the other thing I'm wondering is if she's been vaxed against something, how can I find out if that is the same "strain" as what's where I'm going? Is there anyway to know for sure?

I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#8 of 13 Old 07-09-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
And the other thing I'm wondering is if she's been vaxed against something, how can I find out if that is the same "strain" as what's where I'm going? Is there anyway to know for sure?
That's going to depend totally on what diseases and vax you're talking about. In *theory* most vaxes should protect against any strain.

-Angela
#9 of 13 Old 07-09-2008, 11:58 PM

we vaxed with our first until she was two, once with our second and we haven't been in yet with our third (not vaxxing).

That said, we would get some shots if we were traveling to countries that had a high incidence of disease, myself included. we wouldn't do it before five years old though...

As much as I'm against routine vaccinations, I do feel that they have there place, sometimes.

(flame away)

mischievous.gif
#10 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemamato View Post
As much as I'm against routine vaccinations, I do feel that they have there place, sometimes.

(flame away)
Thank you for admitting this. To be honest, yesterday was the first time I opened the Vaccinations forum since I joined MDC. Crazy, huh? I'm just good at avoiding things that will make me uncomfortable, especially since I've vaxed my DD so far. But I think I fall into the catagory of sorta needing some for my DD and future DC's b/c of where we have to travel (for dh fam) and unfortunately, the young age thing cannot be compromised.

I want to cover all the basis; how would you decide which ones?

#11 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
Thank you for admitting this. To be honest, yesterday was the first time I opened the Vaccinations forum since I joined MDC. Crazy, huh? I'm just good at avoiding things that will make me uncomfortable, especially since I've vaxed my DD so far. But I think I fall into the catagory of sorta needing some for my DD and future DC's b/c of where we have to travel (for dh fam) and unfortunately, the young age thing cannot be compromised.

I want to cover all the basis; how would you decide which ones?
I would consider some depending on plans and such.

I would decide by looking at what diseases are prevalent where I'm going, how they're transmitted, if I'm comfortable treating them and if I'm comfortable with the risk/benefit from the vaccines.

-Angela
#12 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know where to find diseases that are still active in foreign countries?

#13 of 13 Old 07-11-2008, 06:13 PM

My DD has been vaxed on schedule up till now (she's 10 mo). She's due for her 12 mo shots, but I'm planning to delay them all (I can to the whole delayed/selected vax thing late, otherwise I would not have followed the schedule). Anyway, I took her with me to India & Nepal in May (she was 8.5 mo) and I didn't do anything special re: meds or vax. She is still BFing (along with solids) and she was fine! Check the CDC Travelers Health site for disease risks in specific countries: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/default.aspx

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page