How do I handle this situation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CP in CT, MA, RI Tribe forum.

The state of Rhode Island recognizes medical and religious exemptions. I don't qualify for either. My ds will be starting preschool soon and RI basically requires the full motherload of vaxes. So here is my dilemma. My son is on a selective schedule and the vaxes that we're opting out on are polio, chickenpox, hep b, and mmr. The only way my ds can avoid these vaxes is by using the religious exemption (even though we don't practice a religion ). So my question is: If I use the religious exemption, how do I justify that my "religion" condones some vaccines but not others?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-10-2008, 01:55 AM

you don't have to justify anything, just sign the form.

good luck, mama!
#3 of 8 Old 07-10-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration View Post
you don't have to justify anything, just sign the form.

good luck, mama!
:

-Angela
#4 of 8 Old 07-10-2008, 02:57 AM

Just to play Devil's Advocate, what about if the poster claims they have had no vaccines and something happens that requires medical treatment? For example, a deep wound from a rusty pitchfork--they would think the child needed the post-tetanus shot for those without immunity versus the booster (or no shot) for those who have had the DTaP immunizations.
I recently had to submit a consent to treat form to our local hospital that asks for DTaP info. We have had one Td but are claiming a religious exemption. I didn't want to muddy the waters and asked my daughter's doc about it. She told me not to write anything down for the DTaP dates, as if we had never had any of the vax. I think it might be different if you have had the whole course.
#5 of 8 Old 07-10-2008, 03:02 AM

You could have had vaxes before you "found religion"

-Angela
#6 of 8 Old 07-10-2008, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone!!!:
#7 of 8 Old 07-10-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliasward View Post
Just to play Devil's Advocate, what about if the poster claims they have had no vaccines and something happens that requires medical treatment? For example, a deep wound from a rusty pitchfork--they would think the child needed the post-tetanus shot for those without immunity versus the booster (or no shot) for those who have had the DTaP immunizations.
I recently had to submit a consent to treat form to our local hospital that asks for DTaP info. We have had one Td but are claiming a religious exemption. I didn't want to muddy the waters and asked my daughter's doc about it. She told me not to write anything down for the DTaP dates, as if we had never had any of the vax. I think it might be different if you have had the whole course.

Kids play with rusty pitchforks at school?

If you're going to play devil's advocate (which is much appreciated, by the way), at least do so with a realistic scenario. The whole "rusty metal object" thing with tetanus is not an accurate nor likely mode of tetanus infection in this day and age.

This is definitely a "cross that bridge IF you come to it" kind of situation. Vaccines are most definitely NOT emergency medicine, and if a child sustained a serious injury that is at risk for tetanus, THEN you can bust out your child's vax records to figure out what the course of action might be.
#8 of 8 Old 07-10-2008, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
So my question is: If I use the religious exemption, how do I justify that my "religion" condones some vaccines but not others?
You specifically don't want to ever even hint about this, officially. Religious exemptions are only considered valid for the practice of vaccination (all vaccinations for all diseases, no exceptions)--so even though some people have sincere, strongly-held beliefs about specific ingredients/practices of manufacture, these are not considered valid for an official religious exemption.

Like the pp's said, just use it and don't discuss the topic, and if you vaccinate after the date you get the exemption, never mention it, or your exemption could be disallowed. Crummy that parents aren't allowed to choose medical care in this situation like any other, though.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page