Amanda Peet on vaccines - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 07-11-2008, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
" What does concern her is the growing number of unvaccinated children who are benefiting from the "shield" created by the inoculated—we are protected from viruses only if everyone, or most everyone, is immunized: "Frankly, I feel that parents who don't vaccinate their children are parasites"

whoa...

-Cookie Magazine latest issue

#2 of 50 Old 07-11-2008, 06:11 PM

http://www.cookiemag.com/entertainme.../07/amandapeet

I'm just going to bite my tongue.
#3 of 50 Old 07-11-2008, 06:17 PM

Well... I never figured she knew much about vaccines or vaccine injuries. She's more than welcome to take risks with her own child's health and she seems to be taking full advantage of that right.
#4 of 50 Old 07-11-2008, 06:18 PM

I can get on the website but I'd rather send her a note. Well big point here is she may have the right to her opinion but why the nasty name calling? Guess as an actress she is an expert on vaccination though....:
#5 of 50 Old 07-11-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
She began calling her older sister's husband, a Philadelphia pediatrician, "every five minutes" with all kinds of questions, especially about shots.
Quote:
Eventually her brother-in-law arranged a series of phone calls between Peet and his own mentor, Paul Offit, M.D
I think this explains everything!

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#6 of 50 Old 07-14-2008, 02:27 AM

^^^^ Exactly...because talking to Paul Offit is DEFINITELY doing some real, unbiased research. If she's going to be spouting things like "parasite," she needs to...do more research (trying to not make a UAV!!). That really got me steamed. : But really, we can do without the name calling...

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#7 of 50 Old 07-14-2008, 06:22 PM

I just read this in the issue I got in the mail today...I ran right here to see what everyone was saying!

I haven't heard of this Every Child by 2 campaign...I'm already so annoyed at the NYS anti-cosleeping service announcements. Now I have to add this in the mix.

I knew I didn't like her and now I know why!
#8 of 50 Old 07-14-2008, 06:31 PM

what stinks is that so many people really take heed in what a celebrity says. If I hear my mom tell me one more time what some movie actress said on Oprah about a vaccine or medication, etc etc.... I might lose it.
#9 of 50 Old 07-14-2008, 06:33 PM

I was pretty honked off too until I re-read the paragraph and saw where she got her information. Of course if she gets her information from a "pro-vaccination" source, she's going to have pro-vax opinions. I hope anybody reading it will see that.. at least they were sure to hint that she didn't know crap, then took on her opinion after discussing it with one source.

Oh well. I'm not a fan of Cookie anyway, the fact that you have to pay for a magazine with what, four articles in the whole thing (the rest being advertisements)... yeah. My MIL gifted the subscription to me, and DH reads them. If I get it, it goes right in the trash.
#10 of 50 Old 07-14-2008, 06:35 PM

Cookie magazine began appearing in my mailbox a few months ago, I never ordered it and I just canceled it today. I also wrote them a note explaining why...unfortunately, some new mom will read this garbage and think because Amanda Peet said to vaccinate and called non-vaxers parasites, it must be the right thing to do. Argh!!!
#11 of 50 Old 07-14-2008, 09:22 PM

How can she call talking to two peds (one a mentor of the other) "research." She must have done other research, no? I hope.
#12 of 50 Old 07-14-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california_mom View Post
How can she call talking to two peds (one a mentor of the other) "research." She must have done other research, no? I hope.

Most likely not, the vast majority of sheeple consider that research.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#13 of 50 Old 07-14-2008, 09:59 PM

I read this too but stopped once I saw where she got her info from. Obviously she would think that if she was misguided by a completely bias md. I have never heard of this campaign either but tis sad. I was never vaxed and we have only done 2 vaxes for dd. I do not consider myself a parasite.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#14 of 50 Old 07-14-2008, 10:01 PM

lovely...
#15 of 50 Old 07-14-2008, 10:55 PM

Ummm..... Let's be realistic here. Asking Mr. Offitt what he thinks you should do about vaccines is like asking a drug dealer if you should try out some crack.... :.
#16 of 50 Old 07-14-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterbug1999 View Post
Ummm..... Let's be realistic here. Asking Mr. Offitt what he thinks you should do about vaccines is like asking a drug dealer is you should try out some crack.... :.
That...

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#17 of 50 Old 07-15-2008, 12:52 AM

Frankly, I don't care about her opinion on vaccinations one way or the other, I don't even know who she is. So for me the point is moot, I make my choices for my children on my research and my comfort levels with my decisions.
#18 of 50 Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 AM

I ordered this mag from my neice who was selling magazines for school. I haven't liked it anyway but called today and cancelled the subscription because of this article!
#19 of 50 Old 07-15-2008, 10:11 AM

I was wondering who said this. Iclicked a random entertainment link about Jessica Alba the other day where she says she is anti vax and not vaccinating. The article said stay tuned to fined out what actress said nonvaxers are parasites. Now I know who... blech.
#20 of 50 Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 AM

eta never mind, wrong celeb LOL
#21 of 50 Old 07-15-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterbug1999 View Post
Asking Mr. Offitt what he thinks you should do about vaccines is like asking a drug dealer if you should try out some crack.... :.
: laughup I'm keeping that one in my quotes file, if you don't mind!

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#22 of 50 Old 07-15-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicavocado View Post
I was pretty honked off too until I re-read the paragraph and saw where she got her information. Of course if she gets her information from a "pro-vaccination" source, she's going to have pro-vax opinions. I hope anybody reading it will see that.. at least they were sure to hint that she didn't know crap, then took on her opinion after discussing it with one source.
It sounds to me like she is parroting what Offit is saying. Anything out of his mouth is now her POV.

But I don't think people will see a "bias." Most people (who do not follow this topic) might be "impressed" that she as a celeb, has "access" to the "best" in the field (pardon me while I hurl) and that's the info she got. I'm not surprised either.

He's a patent-holder of a vaccine. He is hardly unbiased. Of course he has a vested $$$ interest in making sure people get their babies vaccinated. (And for the lurkers - the rotavirus vaccine was pulled off the market for a few years because it injured babies and young children - life-threatening twisting of the intestines.)
http://www.*********/a/offit.html

But Dr. Offit $.$. will swear up and down to anybody wants to listen that vaccines are safe. And there is no association... blah, blah, blah.

Yeah, OK.

But most people won't see that. They see M.D. & pro-vaccine and take that as gospel.

Like someone said, like me asking a drug-dealer if I should try crack. (That was hilarious.)

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#23 of 50 Old 07-15-2008, 03:03 PM

Baaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!

You know, it'll be a damn shame when Amanda Peet needs to be counseled by other celebrities. Namely Holly Robinson-Peete and Jenny McCarthy, to name two. Maybe then she'll be calling her doctor friends parasites. Until then...

Interesting about Jessica Alba! Who knew she was so SMART!!!
#24 of 50 Old 07-15-2008, 03:36 PM

Age of Autism has a great post about this, it includes contact information for Peet's publicist and manager, if you want to send her a message.

http://www.ageofautism.com/2008/07/f...l-of.html#more

Publicist:
Stephen Huvane
PMK/HBH Public Relations
Email: Stephen.huvane@pmkhbh.com
Phone: 310-289-6200

Manager:
Eric Kranzler
Management 360
Email: ekranzler@management360.com
Phone: 310-272-7000

Or, you can write directly to the Cookie Editor HERE http://www.cookiemag.com/contact/emailEditor

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#25 of 50 Old 07-15-2008, 04:38 PM

I couldn't help myself and sent this to the FLAKY COOKIE editor!

I hope Amanda Peet doesn't regret her statement one day and have to turn to other celebrities like Holly Robinson Peete and Jenny McCarthy.

You DO know that Mr. Offitt is a vaccine patent holder and hardly unbiased? Does she know that? Do your readers? You owe your readers more information so they can make a truly informed decision, not blindly follow what Amanda Peet and her money-hungry patent-holding "friend" tell her what to do.

How about a profile of Jessica Alba and why she chooses to selectively vaccinate?

Remember when smoking while pregnant was ok? No one questioned it? It's TIME to question why we're pumping our kids full of shots. Wake up!
#26 of 50 Old 07-15-2008, 09:26 PM

OH MY WORD.

I seriously keep trying to write an email, and keep getting too upset to write it!!!

Seriously. What kind of research is that, and how DARE that magazine publish such biased NONSENSE. What are they thinking?!
I really hope Ms. Peet has a chance to meet with some vaccine-injured children before she starts walking around calling people PARASITES.

I think this is a fairly new magazine, and I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason they published was to get their name 'cookie' out there to some new readers.

Garbage.
#27 of 50 Old 07-15-2008, 10:35 PM

WOW, what else can I say: I get Cookie, got a free sub from ordering something at Amazon for DD. I'm not really a big fan. . .it's a little too Vogue (consumerist, $300 for a child shirt, etc) for kids and their rich parents for me.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#28 of 50 Old 07-15-2008, 10:44 PM

All I have to say is - Amanda who? Hopefully nobody will care one way or another about this woman. She's a poor actress trying to revive her career. Bah!

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09
#29 of 50 Old 07-15-2008, 10:49 PM

I'm happy to report that Mothering is now the ONLY magazine I subscribe to:

Dear Pilar,
I first came across Cookie magazine in a doctor's office well before I was even pregnant. I was enchanted with what I saw--stylish baby gear and clothing, beautiful mothers and children--and I thought to myself, "what a great magazine, kind of like InStyle for moms." So when I recieved a subscription offer in my mailbox after my son was born, I happily paid the fee to receive Cookie at home. Sadly, I soon realized that I have very little in common with your target audience--I hardly spend thousands on my child's wardrobe and don't envision European travel in our near future. But still I enjoyed flipping through the pages for they might not represent real life, but they sure were fun to look at. However, I don't find anything amusing in your magazine anymore--I find it downright offensive. Namely your article on re-circumcision in the Oct/Nov 2007 and your most recent discussion with Amanda Peet on vaccines have left me so utterly upset and disgusted by your magazine that I will be contacting your subscription department to cancel my subscription immediately.

I imagine Ms. Peet's publicist is having a field day dealing with all the "parasites" she's enraged and that her agent will be begging all those "fluffy" hollywood-types to work with her again.
#30 of 50 Old 07-16-2008, 08:01 AM

I've never heard of this magazine until now....

BUT...

any "parenting" magazine that features the cost and fashion detailing of the outfits of the interviewees in more detail than the facts and research of their articles would be a BIG red flag for me.

Ummm... WHY exactly do I need to know who made her clothes and how much they cost when reading this? Do they do this all the time in this magazine?

I am crawling back in to my hole now.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page