If there was a vaccine for AIDS... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to make a simple argument for not vaxing for Hep B. Could I compare the disease to AIDS, in the sense that it's a sexually transmitted disease?

For example, assume I'm talking to someone thinking of the Hep B vaccine for their baby: "If there was an AIDS vaccine available right now, would you inject your baby with it, like we do with Hep B?"

kwim?

Is there something I'm missing? Can Hep B be transmitted more easily than AIDS? Is there any reason on this green earth of ours why a baby needs to be vaccinated for Hep B?
#2 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I suspect that a lot of people would JUMP at the chance to use an HIV vaccine, and would get it for themselves and their newborns if they thought it would protect them from AIDS.

No, there's no reason why babies need to be vaccinated against Hep B, but I think you're going about this the wrong way. Somebody who hasn't yet challenged the "vaccines are wonderful" paradigm isn't going to be convinced because of another fictional vaccine. The people who would say "um, maybe vaxing for AIDS is a bad idea" are the ones who are already questioning Hep B.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#3 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california_mom View Post
I'm trying to make a simple argument for not vaxing for Hep B. Could I compare the disease to AIDS, in the sense that it's a sexually transmitted disease?

There is a pretty big difference as far as transmission goes...Hep B can live outside the human body for quite a while...therefore people can use the casual contact argument. The HIV virus has a very short lifespan outside of the body.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#4 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
There is a pretty big difference as far as transmission goes...Hep B can live outside the human body for quite a while...therefore people can use the casual contact argument. The HIV virus has a very short lifespan outside of the body.
Oh. Ok. Thanks.

Crap. Guess I better keep thinking...
#5 of 11 Old 07-18-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to make a simple argument for not vaxing for Hep B.
I'd go with "The chances that my baby will catch Hep B before reaching adolescence is close to zero."

Nuff said.
#6 of 11 Old 07-18-2008, 01:18 AM

yeh, i think alot of ppl would LOVE to get a vax against AIDS. omg i cant even imagine the adverse reactions to that one.
#7 of 11 Old 07-18-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
yeh, i think alot of ppl would LOVE to get a vax against AIDS. omg i cant even imagine the adverse reactions to that one.
The Washington Post ran an article about 4 months ago on the latest AIDS vaccine. It was the third such vaccine to go to trials. The lead researcher/developer of the vaccine requested that the trial be stopped immediately when it was discovered that the vaccine actually caused HIV. The AIDS vaccine has been in the works for 25 years and billions of $$ have been spent and the lead researcher actually admitted that they needed to go back to square one.

If the Post has archived articles, I'll try to find it and post.---Just checked, the Post doesn't have the full articles but I did find the dates and the writer. Two stories written by David Brown that ran on March 21 and March 26, 2008 if anyone can figure out how to get the full articles.
#8 of 11 Old 07-18-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
I'd go with "The chances that my baby will catch Hep B before reaching adolescence is close to zero."

Nuff said.
:

The fact that this vax was created for iv drug users and prostitutes and the reason (admitted) that they give it to babies is that they are a captive audience is more than enough of an argument for me. I believe there is also a question as to how long immunity will last and that it may be waning by the time sexual activity is likely to start too.
#9 of 11 Old 07-18-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the replies! : I wish I posted before my bff let her baby get the hep b vax
#10 of 11 Old 07-18-2008, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
Last I heard, it was a live virus vaccine. Soooo you can imagine the repercussions of using this vaccine world wide.
#11 of 11 Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
Last I heard, it was a live virus vaccine. Soooo you can imagine the repercussions of using this vaccine world wide.
oh my...this is just scary . what a crazy world we live in ...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page