My child has had the measles 2 3.03%
I know someone who has had the measles. 45 68.18%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 08-10-2008, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the measles and CP and WC... no issues with any and I was given every vax offered in the 70's.

My children:

19 yo has had chicken pox nearly fully vaxed (not vaxed for cp since cp was caught at 4 yo and the vax wasn't marketed then) no complications has been religiously exempt from gardisil and any other vax recommended

16 yo has had c/p and mumps again fully vaxed except for c/p he was vaxed with the MMR and he still had mumps! no complications currently religiously exempt from any further vaccines.

11 yo Nothing... fully vaxed to 5 yo physical - then religiously exempt from any further vaxes.

3 yo nothing... 5 vaxes total suffered a severe vax reaction and we stopped vaxing against or peds recommendations. We filled for religious exemption to keep our child alive. I truly believe my child would be dead today had we continued vaxing. Seeing what I've seen I'm truly more scared of the vaccines than I am of any disease!
applejuice likes this.
#32 of 39 Old 08-10-2008, 11:47 PM

My brother and I both had measles, and so did most of the kids in our neighborhood. We also had rubella and chicken pox. It just involved a little time off school, reading in bed and eating chicken soup and jell-o. I know there must be cases that turn bad, but I never encountered one.
applejuice likes this.
#33 of 39 Old 08-10-2008, 11:49 PM

My mom had "regular" measles and rubella both, and was very sick with rubella, but shrugs off measles as "no big deal." I don't know how much that is worth, though.
applejuice likes this.
#34 of 39 Old 08-11-2008, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Are they sure it was measles? How was it diagnosed?
You're really not supposed to be able to catch measles more than once. Is there a chance that it was re-activating cytomegalovirus instead of measles?
Hilary Butler mentioned in her book (JALP) that her sons got measles twice, in 1985 and then again two years later. She also says that once the doctors saw that in one son's file, they scratched out "measles" and instead wrote "morbili-like illness" saying that lots of other viruses look like measles...even though the child had residual Koplik spots and it was indeed a second bout of measles.
applejuice likes this.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#35 of 39 Old 08-11-2008, 02:58 PM

My mom and dad and all their siblings had it. I have a friend whose mom was pregnant with her when she had german measles. My youngest (just 2 months) may well have german measles presently (trying to figure out that or roseola). (we're staying home till we know so as not to infect any pregnant women)
applejuice likes this.
#36 of 39 Old 08-12-2008, 03:58 AM

DH contracted the measles about a year after he was vaxed with the MMR. His mom (a ped nurse) said it was a pretty bad case but might have been worse if he hadn't been vaccinated:--she's provax though
applejuice likes this.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#37 of 39 Old 08-21-2013, 05:44 PM

There is a measles outbreak in my small town. 9 cases so far. I'm a mom to 6 kids and my youngest are not vaxed at all. Trying to decide if it is a big deal.
applejuice likes this.

LDS, natural birthing,, , mom to 6 super fun crazy kids!
#38 of 39 Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Heads up mommaof5. Your concern may get more responses if you post in one of the current forums and start your own thread. You can choose I'm not vaccinating for support and discussion, mindful vaccination for support and discussion or vaccination discussion and debate to gets uggestions from people on either side but beware. I'm new here too and am still learning the ropes as well.

I'm interested in what the wise Mothering Mamas tell you. Do you mind sharing what country you are in as well?

Best wishes to you and your little ones!
applejuice likes this.
#39 of 39 Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof5 View Post

There is a measles outbreak in my small town. 9 cases so far. I'm a mom to 6 kids and my youngest are not vaxed at all. Trying to decide if it is a big deal.

I can see that you didn't post elsewhere and I hope you got the answers you were looking for! What did you decide?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page