My child has had the measles 2 2.99%
I know someone who has had the measles. 45 67.16%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How big a deal is the measles? They sent my ds home with a letter about an outbreak in our area. Should I be concerned about my dd (28mo) contracting the measles? Of course the memo is really scarry to read. Has anyone here had a dc get the measles? Good question I am going to do a poll.
applejuice likes this.
#2 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 12:54 PM

None of the above for me. I was vaccinated as a child, and MMR is one of the only vaccines DS did NOT have, I put my foot down on that one and DH wanted the rest of them (not my choice).

The media/letters tend to be scaremongering. If you do think your child has been exposed, the best thing to do would be to support their immune system. I've read Vit C/SA and Vit A are good for measles.

There is also measles in my area so I'm seeing the scaremongering already and there are only 1-2 cases so far.

These might help:

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/?p=65
http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/?p=149
applejuice likes this.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#3 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 01:42 PM

I was fully vaccinated and have had both measles and mumps. No big deal...I'm just p!ssed that my mother injected me with poison to protect me from diseases that I got anyway!

I also show no immunity to rubella.
applejuice likes this.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#4 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 01:46 PM

Both my dh and I and both of our children have had measles. My dd when she was 7 mos. Rest, fluids, cod liver oil.
applejuice likes this.

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
#5 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 01:48 PM

I never had them. I was vaxed as well. My children never had them, and they have not yet been vaxed. (we are very much delaying that one)
applejuice likes this.
#6 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 03:58 PM

my DS is almost 7 years old and has not been vaxed for MMR. I chose not to do this one because of what I have read about the measles vaccine residing in the gut and possibly being linked to neurological and digestive issues. but now I am freaked after reading the paper today. in the article in our Minneapolis, Mn paper they stated a statistic that 1-2 in 1000 children infected by measles will die. is this true? if so then it does seem like a very dnagerous disease but i for some reason had heard, anecdotally that its not much worse than chicken pox.
applejuice likes this.
#7 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 04:12 PM

My parents, in-laws, aunts and uncles have all had the measles. They said "no big deal".
applejuice likes this.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#8 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 PM

I grew up in the 70's and I had it as a child. Honestly, in our generation we children were looking forward to getting it, because it meant staying in bed for a few days and be allowed comic books, coca cola and pretzel sticks. That was the usual treatment. I never heard of a complication or a scared parent. Ds won't get MMR, but I'll reconsider it when he reaches puberty and hasn't yet caught any of it.
applejuice likes this.
#9 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Most of out parents and all of our grandparents had measles, even if they don't remember it.
It's not usually a huge deal, but it is about 4 or 5 times deadlier than chickenpox.
applejuice likes this.
#10 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
I had mealses, and was not vaxed. No biggie.
applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#11 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 06:49 PM

There's still outbreaks in AZ? Interesting I haven't heard about this, I guess if it dosn't involve Pima County I don't get to hear much about it down here lol.

My mom had mumps and measles and I'm not sure what else. Same with my dad. Somehow they are still alive amidst this deadly disease.
applejuice likes this.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#12 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 07:47 PM

I was talking to my grandmother about vaccines, and told her we're not doing them.
She said her sister is deaf in one ear from the mumps, but she said all of these disease are mild, and even knowing someone that had a disease complication she still would never give a baby all the shots. She said 'we all had the measles, you guys had the chicken pox, I dont understand what the big deal is"

So to answer the question my grandma had them, and her sisters.

I've had the mumps, and I'm vaxed.
applejuice likes this.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#13 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 PM

My grandmother is the same way, she said everyone got the measles and it was just not a big deal.
applejuice likes this.
#14 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 09:30 PM

My mom had measles, mumps, and polio; her brother had mumps and rubella. I assume my dad had them as well since he was born around 1923. Not sure about my sister (she's 15 years older).
applejuice likes this.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#15 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismama! View Post
my DS is almost 7 years old and has not been vaxed for MMR. I chose not to do this one because of what I have read about the measles vaccine residing in the gut and possibly being linked to neurological and digestive issues. but now I am freaked after reading the paper today. in the article in our Minneapolis, Mn paper they stated a statistic that 1-2 in 1000 children infected by measles will die. is this true? if so then it does seem like a very dnagerous disease but i for some reason had heard, anecdotally that its not much worse than chicken pox.
Perhaps if you included the incidence of measle around the world where adequate food, clean water, and vit A treatment is not available, but that stat would not be accurate in Western countries; I'm trying to find better info.

Anyhoo...

Here is the information on the Switzerland Measles outbreak:

http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ew/2007/070726.asp

483 cases total for November 2006- July 2007.

Quote:
Six percent of the 445 cases for whom a detailed questionnaire had been submitted were vaccinated against measles (18 with one dose and nine with two doses), 87% were unvaccinated, and the vaccination status of the remaining 7% was unknown. There were 43 cases (10%) requiring hospitalization. Among 445 cases for whom information about complications was available, four cases were reported with encephalitis (1%), all among children, 29 cases with pneumonia (7%, median age 10 years), and 31 cases with otitis media [earache](7%). No deaths were reported.
http://www.eurosurveillance.org/edit...8/080221_1.asp
Switzerland Measles Outbreak - From Nov 2006 to Feb 2008:

"1405 cases
1319 cases for which detailed information available**

Hospitalizations** 104 -- 7.9%
Pneumonia** 63 -- 4.8%
Otitis Media (ear aches)** 62 -- 4.7%
Encephalitis** 6 -- 0.5%

The proportion of vaccinated patients has been low for all ages (Figure 4). There were 104 cases (8% of 1,319 cases for whom information about hospitalisation and complications were available) who required hospitalisation. Six cases were reported with encephalitis or suspicion of encephalitis (0.5%), all among children. No deaths have been reported." The average age is eleven.[/quote]

Measles "is generally looked upon as one of the most harmless diseases"according to Kurt Elsner, M.D. in 1908

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...619C946997D6CF
applejuice likes this.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#16 of 39 Old 08-07-2008, 11:30 PM

My Dp had it at three years-old and would be considered immune-compromised. No complications, no one worried.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#17 of 39 Old 08-08-2008, 12:31 AM

i had it as a child, under 7. no biggie atall. was just a little off, and spotty, for a few days.

there was a case a year or two ago in the uk (where i grew up) about a boy who died from the measels. the media mostly left out the important part -he was severely immunocompromised
applejuice likes this.
#18 of 39 Old 08-08-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismama! View Post
Here it is:

Quote:

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/...s-roug-eng.php

Quote:
Measles encephalitis occurs in approximately 1 of every 1,000 reported cases and may result in permanent brain damage. Measles infection causes subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE), a rare but fatal disease. In developed countries, including Canada, death is estimated to occur once in 3,000 cases.
Quote:
http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/?p=65

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/?p=149

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...ses&deaths.pdf

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pic...2&blobtype=pdf

Quote:
The overall ratio of deaths to measles notifications was 1-5 per 10 000, but for children under 1 year it was 4-8 and for those aged 1-2 it was 2-3.

HTH!
applejuice likes this.

#19 of 39 Old 08-08-2008, 03:54 AM

My titers say I'm not immune anymore. I had the shot when I was 17.

My mother contracted measles when she was pregnant with me.

I'm deaf because of it. 20% in my left ear and nothing in my right ear.

So, I caution anyone who is pregnant to stay away from anyone who is infected. Especially in your first and second trimester.

:
applejuice likes this.
#20 of 39 Old 08-08-2008, 04:09 AM

My younger brother had measles that he contracted from the vax. I was exposed to it and I had the mumps at 10mo and still got the MMR shot :
applejuice likes this.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#21 of 39 Old 08-08-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
My titers say I'm not immune anymore. I had the shot when I was 17.

My mother contracted measles when she was pregnant with me.

I'm deaf because of it. 20% in my left ear and nothing in my right ear.

So, I caution anyone who is pregnant to stay away from anyone who is infected. Especially in your first and second trimester.

:
Thank you for sharing your story. This is what concerns me. Now I realize that your story involves your mother, who may or may not be old enough to have not had a measles shot. But it has implications for the future. What happens when immunity from measles vaccine wears off and women get pregnant without knowing they are no longer immune and then they get the measles? This is exactly what bothers me about vaccines (well one of the many things). If we were all just allowed to get measles as children and thus be immune for life, we wouldn't have to be nearly as worried about this happening.
applejuice likes this.
#22 of 39 Old 08-08-2008, 12:11 PM

I had measles when I was 9 and was pretty sick. I remember needing a dark room and getting really skinny.
However, that said, I am very relieved to have had it now that I am a mum and I can pass on immunity through breast feeding. I have understood that measles can be more serious for infants and for older people (adolescents through adulthood), so it makes sense for children to have the disease and be done with it. I think I would prefer my DC to have measles and be done with it rather than be dealing with vax and not sure if he is immune or not and getting all tangled up when he is older and more in danger of complications. But, I also know that it is a serious illness and requires proper treatment (full bed rest, appropriate diet, darkened room if needed and soothing remedies for fever and rash). It is not a disease to sweep under the carpet with fever suppressing medications and hoping the child will be OK.... Anyway, that's just my opinion
applejuice likes this.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#23 of 39 Old 08-08-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM99 View Post
Thank you for sharing your story. This is what concerns me. Now I realize that your story involves your mother, who may or may not be old enough to have not had a measles shot. But it has implications for the future. What happens when immunity from measles vaccine wears off and women get pregnant without knowing they are no longer immune and then they get the measles? This is exactly what bothers me about vaccines (well one of the many things). If we were all just allowed to get measles as children and thus be immune for life, we wouldn't have to be nearly as worried about this happening.
I just got off the phone with my mom to get the facts straight.

It was her second time having measles when she was pregnant with me. Then they gave her the "shot" [her words, didn't think to ask if it was MMR] when I was born.

She had it 4 times in her life so far.

The first time when she was 3.

2nd time was she was carrying me.

The third time in her thirties.

The forth time I was 11 yrs old and had to take care of her. She couldn't move. Her whole body cramped so badly in the bathtub, freaked me out - she could not move. I had to fetch neighbors to help me because I thought I wasn't going to be able to get her out of the bath tub. I drained the bathtub before getting help tho, don't worry. The neighbors took her to the hospital.

So, from her testimony, each time she had the measles, the worse it was.

And she is completely immuned to the shot.

I never had them tho I was exposed at least two times, a third time if you count the pregnancy.

I never had the chicken pox either and I'm not vaxed. I was exposed to that many times too, trying to get it.

There is a connection, if the offspring who was exposed to the measles in utero they're born immuned to chicken pox.

Where I read that, no idea. So, I could be mistaken. But I'm pretty sure its legit.
applejuice likes this.
#24 of 39 Old 08-08-2008, 12:38 PM

I selected the third option.

My grandmother got measles when she was pregnant (in the 50s) and it caused her to have a stillbirth.
applejuice likes this.
#25 of 39 Old 08-08-2008, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
I just got off the phone with my mom to get the facts straight.

It was her second time having measles when she was pregnant with me. Then they gave her the "shot" [her words, didn't think to ask if it was MMR] when I was born.

She had it 4 times in her life so far.

The first time when she was 3.

2nd time was she was carrying me.

The third time in her thirties.

The forth time I was 11 yrs old and had to take care of her. She couldn't move. Her whole body cramped so badly in the bathtub, freaked me out - she could not move. I had to fetch neighbors to help me because I thought I wasn't going to be able to get her out of the bath tub. I drained the bathtub before getting help tho, don't worry. The neighbors took her to the hospital.

So, from her testimony, each time she had the measles, the worse it was.

And she is completely immuned to the shot.

I never had them tho I was exposed at least two times, a third time if you count the pregnancy.

I never had the chicken pox either and I'm not vaxed. I was exposed to that many times too, trying to get it.

There is a connection, if the offspring who was exposed to the measles in utero they're born immuned to chicken pox.

Where I read that, no idea. So, I could be mistaken. But I'm pretty sure its legit.

Are they sure it was measles? How was it diagnosed?
You're really not supposed to be able to catch measles more than once. Is there a chance that it was re-activating cytomegalovirus instead of measles?
applejuice likes this.
#26 of 39 Old 08-08-2008, 01:49 PM

I was vax against measles (MMR) when I was 14 months old. I caught it at 18 months old. My sister got it at 11 (also vax'd) and it was no big deal. In fact, my measles were mild enough that my father didn't remember me having them... we were waiting for me to get spotty!
applejuice likes this.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#27 of 39 Old 08-08-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
Are they sure it was measles? How was it diagnosed?
You're really not supposed to be able to catch measles more than once. Is there a chance that it was re-activating cytomegalovirus instead of measles?
Yes I'm pretty sure it was a confirmed dx all four times.

Maybe this is similar to contracting chicken pox more than once. I'm told that once you get it, once, you can't get again. If you do then its the shingles. But there is a difference between shingles and chicken pox. There are rare cases of people getting the chicken pox more than once.

"re-activating cytomegalovirus" - never heard of that. I'll research it tho.
applejuice likes this.
#28 of 39 Old 08-08-2008, 11:25 PM

I had it when I was an infant and my mother says I had no trouble gettinng thru it
applejuice likes this.
#29 of 39 Old 08-09-2008, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I had the measles

My sibs had the measles

My youngest son now 16 had the measles.

NO big deal.
Mirzam likes this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#30 of 39 Old 08-09-2008, 06:21 PM

None of the above for me, so I can't vote.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page