Do most pediatricians try to pressure you into vaccines?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. Well my DD is 2 months old and I am suppose to take her in for a 2 month well baby visit. I know that they give vaccines on this visit.. Heck it seems like almost EVERY well baby visit. Anyway, I definitely dont want her to get any vaccines whatsoever. My son has autism and I am not taking that chance with her by giving her the vaccines. So, this is one of the reasons I have been putting off making her appt. My mom and my husband are both pressuring me to go to the appt just to see how she is doing and track her development. I think this is important, but I dont want to go there and have them pressure me to get vaccines or tell me I am being irresponsible. There is no way I would cave in and get them for her but I just would rather avoid the situation altogether..Then maybe just take her in if she is sick.. I guess I am just curious if you all who dont vaccinate experience pressure from your pediatricians.. Or if they will usually be fine with it and just have you sign a waiver. I appreciate any advice!

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 12:23 PM

Do your mother and husband think that there's something wrong with your daughter? The only reason for every 2 month appointments is for the vaccine schedule. If you don't plan to vaccinate and you know that, then there's no reason to go more than every 6 months. If your baby is happy, the soft spot on her head is of good size, you notice good growth and eating/elimition, then relax and don't go to the dr.

Has your child had vaccinations so far? How did those visits go if you consented or refused vaccines?

We've been so trained. It's crazy to be so worried over taking a healthy child to the dr. I avoid taking healthy children anywhere near a dr's office.LOL I'm afraid of what they'll catch.

I found a naturapath who doesn't pressure us to vaccinate and we went every 3 to 6 months the first 2 years and then every year and now, just when the're sick. The only reason that I took my child every 3 months was to combine a visit so that insurance would pay more. For example, if I had a concern, then I'd schedule a well-child visit because those were covered better by my insurance.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#3 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They will pressure you in most cases, but you have the right to say no. I have gone to all the appointments, but it took me a long time to find a doctor who respects our choice to delay vaccines.

You might try going to Finding your Tribe to see if anyone in your area on MDC knows of a doctor who is friendly with delayed or no vaccines. You can also look for a DAN! doctor on their website, or you can check Dr. Sears (Robert, I think--the son, not William, the father) website to see if you have any doctors in your area willing to delay or not vax.

The other thing you can do is to find a FAMILY doctor. Usually they are more okay with delaying or selectively vaccinating.

We are delaying INDEFINITELY at this point. We found a pediatrician who is okay with that, but again, it took a lot of searching.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#4 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 12:50 PM

*Most* peds seem to pressure on vaxes. There ARE exceptions, but you have to shop around.

We don't do WBV.

-Angela
#5 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Banned

No pressure at all. I told him initially that I was delaying and then at a year I said that we weren't going to be getting any anytime soon and he didn't say a peep about it.
#6 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 01:22 PM

My first one did. Said that we were putting our baby at risk and that he was going to die if we didn't get them. Needless to say we found a new one.

Stand your ground mama.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#7 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I really depends on the doctor. I took mine in initially because she was HBed and I wanted someone other than the midwife to look at her. I got a list of peds that was being circulated amond the HB MWs in my area. He never said a word to us at that visit but I haven't done any wbv.

You might want to check out the book How to Raise a Health Child in Spite of Your Doctor. The author was a ped for over 30 years, chairman of the medicial licencing board of IL, and taught med school. He recommends against WBVs and says that he never diagnosed anything at a WBV. He says they are money makers for peds.
#8 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
Do your mother and husband think that there's something wrong with your daughter? The only reason for every 2 month appointments is for the vaccine schedule. If you don't plan to vaccinate and you know that, then there's no reason to go more than every 6 months. If your baby is happy, the soft spot on her head is of good size, you notice good growth and eating/elimition, then relax and don't go to the dr.
I totally agree. Our ped really pressured me and DH and even tried to get DH on his side and against me. He made us feel stupid and irresponsible. That was at the 2mo and 4mo visit, which was the last time we saw him. DD hasn't seen a doc since and is totally unvaxed at almost 19mo now. When she's sick we take her to the chiropractor and use natural remedies at home.

Wife to Daryl 5/98, Mama to Eve 2/07, Lilie 11/08 and Victoria 10/10 --- Our First Water Homebirth. New blessing, Mathias, arrived 8/12 --- Our Second WaterHomebirth. Waiting to welcome baby #5 in May 2014.

#9 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I am glad Im not the only who feels that she doesnt need to go to the dr for the well baby visits. I agree its just set up so they can give them the vaccines. I really dont want to be pressured and let them make me feel bad that I am not giving vaccines. I guess my mom is so set on me taking her to the appts because she works with kids with disabilities and also my son has autism, so she wants me to go to the dr to make sure she is developing normally, but I think I can tell that myself, and I dont really want to stress about it. She is smiling, making eye contact, and making little noises at 2 months, so I am not that worried about it. So, I guess the next question is, how do I explain this to my mom?? She told me she doesnt want me to be like some of the parents of children she sees who never take them in for the well baby visits, I think mainly because they are low income though, so its a little different. I love my mom and really do value her opinion and we get along great, but sometimes I just dont want to be pressured about things. As for my husband, he bugs me about it, but not quite as much I guess. Even after all I have learned about vaccines (and told him) he hasnt said that hes totally against vaccines..If he doesnt want to see the truth, that is his problem, but I wont let him be swayed by the pediatrician and make it look like I am the one who is wrong. Anyway, sorry this is so long! Vaccines are a major issue to me. Thanks again all!
#10 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 08:22 PM

How do you explain it to your mother? How about "I'm my child's mother and rest assured that I'm looking out for her very best interests." and add "Things are different now than when I was a child and I would hope that you would have done for me what I'm doing for my children."

It's your own mother, you should be able to tell her to back off without too much stress. Good luck

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#11 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post

It's your own mother, you should be able to tell her to back off without too much stress. Good luck

It's always worse when it's your mother
#12 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 08:38 PM

Personally, I quite enjoyed the well-baby visits. I liked my pediatrician, I liked seeing the weight gain, talking about any issues, etc.

Once I told the dr. (firmly) that I was delaying vaccinations until further notice, I never heard a peep about it at the visits except now and then, "Oh, and since you don't vax, there won't be any shots this time, everything looks good."
#13 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 08:53 PM

On WBVs in general: I personally think that the three most important reasons for wbvs are 1) they are educational for first time moms (like me!) who otherwise don't know exactly what to expect/what to look for 2)sometimes as mothers we don't see the "obvious" problems that an outside/hcp might see and 3) to develop a relationship with your hcp (and between your dcs and their hcp) in case the child actually does develop a serious health problem.
The first two reasons are debatable; I think the third is very important. You need to like and trust (within reason) your ped so that you can have the advice/care of a good hcp should your child ever *truly* need one.

On the vaccines, I felt a lot of pressure from the first practice. I was having doubts, and they bulldozed right over them. The nurse told my sobbing DD, "Your mommy did it because she loves you," and I realized right then, "Wow, no, that's not the reason-- it's because of social pressure." That was when I began my researching in earnest. All future DC's will be vaxed on a significantly delayed/selective schedule. Our current ped is more holistic and is completely on board. It's worth it-- well worth it-- to find a good hcp.

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
#14 of 17 Old 09-09-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Well I am most likely going to make the appt. This pediatrician sees alot of special needs children, which is why I chose him since my son has autism. So I would hope that he would be understanding about not wanting to give vaccines because I would imagine he gets alot of parents who dont want to vaccinate their kids, especially if they have autism. Thanks again

Jen
#15 of 17 Old 09-09-2008, 12:48 AM

mine used to give me flack about it but the last wbv i went to i said the magic words "religious exemption" and nada........

hth
#16 of 17 Old 09-09-2008, 04:11 PM

"I avoid taking healthy children anywhere near a dr's office.LOL I'm afraid of what they'll catch."

Me too! Ever since we stopped well baby checks, my children have been soooo much healthier. I think vaccine super-bugs hang out around ped offices.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#17 of 17 Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 PM

I've taken my DD to 2 WBV's. The nurse asks if we will be taking shots during the visit at the beginning, like while I'm undressing DD to be weighed. I tell her no. She says OK and that's it. Then the ped comes in the room and one of the questions she asks is if we will be taking shots. Again the answer is no, and that's it. The ped does offer me 'info' on vax and the diseases they aim to prevent. She also offers information on what VPD's have been recently seen in our region. She's not at all pushy, I have specific concerns that I have discussed with her about DD and vax because we have a unique multicultural traveling situation and so I do ask for her advice on that. So far though, DD is 100% vax free. : We live in Oregon so I'm sure I'm not her only parent not vaxing.

I agree with the PP's who mentioned that they won't take a healthy child to a doctor/hcp. I have to be really sick before I'll go to one myself. I do think that those offices can hide lots of unfriendly germs. The only reason I am taking DD to these visits is so there will be some medical record showing her health and development jic one day she actually needs to see a ped. I want to ensure that the ped treating her in illness is someone I trust and was able to evaluate during a less stressful time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page