whooping cough "outbreak" HELP NEEDED! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PLEASE, someone help me to find documentation of the danger and ignorance of mass antibiotic "prophylaxis" to whole schools filled with children, due to a three cases of whooping cough in fully vaccinated children. This is occurring today in our school and in a neighboring county school with nine children infected and 830 children and staff being REQUIRED to take antibiotics by our local health dept!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/edu...ry/242833.html
http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/...s-10092008.htm
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/14344594/detail.html

I want to contact the local health dept and or journalist with informed research. Anything from the CDC about causing broad-spectrum antibiotic resistance desired!!

Thanks, Pat Robinson

I have a blog.
#2 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

They are recently requiring the Tdap for all sixth-grade students this year, could this live virus vaccine be causing the "outbreak" in fully vaccinated children?

Any documentation of this risk? I want this published in the local newspaper!!

Pat

I have a blog.
#3 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
They are recently requiring the Tdap for all sixth-grade students this year, could this live virus vaccine be causing the "outbreak" in fully vaccinated children?

Any documentation of this risk? I want this published in the local newspaper!!

Pat
The Tdap isn't live.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 03:51 PM

Was it confirmed whooping cough and how was it confirmed?

Could it be an allergic reaction to the pertussis vaccine?
#5 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 04:02 PM

#6 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
Was it confirmed whooping cough and how was it confirmed?

Could it be an allergic reaction to the pertussis vaccine?
The insanity of it all is astounding. I've been reading about how pertussis is diagnosed and it is very complicated, specific timing from exposure, specific method of collecting, specific storage of the swabbed bacteria, specific type of swab, time to grow (2weeks+) and examine it, agar specifications, etc. So, I frankly DOUBT the accuracy of the diagnosis of those three children.

Furthermore, the criteria/definition for "close contact" who "require" antibiotics DOES NOT include EVERY CHILD in the school. And the duration of the antibiotic treatment is not even as the CDC recommends!

I've sent an email to Mary Tocco, the woman coming here to do the presentation "Are Vaccines Safe?", to see if she can help with documentation and education of the media, "health dept" and school system here!

Pat

I have a blog.
#7 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is awful. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. It is ridiculous!!! I hope you are able to fight it.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#8 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 05:55 PM

Sorry I can't help but...

Is the antibiotic an injection? How would they enforce that you actually take it?

I hope you get some good advice here...
#9 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCChanel View Post
Is the antibiotic an injection? How would they enforce that you actually take it?
Sorry for my lack of clarity. I meant that "our school" is a local one, so it is an issue of concern throughout our county. I agree, folks can choose not to take the antibiotic. My desire is to educate the "health dept" with references and information. I'm searching myself, but the informed ladies here are such a resource.

Pat

I have a blog.
#10 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
PLEASE, someone help me to find documentation of the danger and ignorance of mass antibiotic "prophylaxis" to whole schools filled with children, due to a three cases of whooping cough in fully vaccinated children. This is occurring today in our school and in a neighboring county school with nine children infected and 830 children and staff being REQUIRED to take antibiotics by our local health dept!
I'm pretty sure that there are threads here with info documenting that antibiotics can actually make pertussis much worse. I'll do some searching and come back.

Quote:
Just want to reiterate that the DTaP vaccine is NOT live.
Pertussis is easily spread through contact with infected persons, even amongst those vaccinated.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#11 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 08:10 PM

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=332284

And here's another that may be of interest:
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=395582

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#12 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 08:22 PM

#13 of 18 Old 10-16-2008, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies so very much. I'll read those with bright, rested eyes in the morning!!

Pat

I have a blog.
#14 of 18 Old 10-17-2008, 02:48 PM

um - wow. good for you trying to educate the 'health' department. Everyone has lost their minds. i would certainly keep my kids home during the 'antibiotic' period. just wait until someone comes down with chicken pox. they will have to burn down the school.
#15 of 18 Old 10-18-2008, 12:13 PM

#16 of 18 Old 10-18-2008, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

In school outbreaks, prophylaxis is recommended for "close classroom and team contacts". (according to forth link from CDD)

NOT providing prophylaxis to whole classroom of classmates! (according to the third link)
CONSIDER
providing chemoprophylaxis to specifically identified children in close adjacent proximity in classroom, etc. There are specific identifiable questions to risk in and risk out classmates!

It recommends to refer them for testing first!!

Amnesiac, your links are exactly what I was seeking!! MT's were mostly narrative and theorizing. ~ Depressing and scary s*hit, but I needed research based resources for the health dept. Hallelujah!! :

These indicate a lack of knowledge and overzealousness on the part of the health dept. We have access to a health reporter, and we've discussed addressing the broad spectrum antibiotic drug resistance concerns with "everyone gets antibiotics" mandate. I'd love some links to indicate the statistical risks associated with unnecessarily giving erythromycin to 1000+ children without evidence based indication.

The forth link was also very helpful about the procedural aspects of actually making a *correct* diagnosis, not just 'symptomatic' confirmations indicating prophylaxis indication.

I haven't even gotten to the first two links (I read backwards, lol). These are gems!! Thank you so very, very much!!

Pat

I have a blog.
#17 of 18 Old 10-19-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:

It recommends to refer them for testing first!!
Whats interesting if one reads the Pink Book one finds the tests really aren't all that accurate.
#18 of 18 Old 10-19-2008, 02:45 PM

Thats really odd. When my kids had it 2 were in school, the same school and I know they got it from a 3rd student in kindergarten. So at least 3 cases in 1 school and no one but the kids with it "had" to have antibiotics. Which means I got the script filled and didn't give it to them. But I had the health dept breathing down my neck, threatening my dr if I didn't get the rx, threatening in the school. So I know they are not easy to work with. I hope you can do something about this. THats awful.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page