Religious exemption for flu shot? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-22-2008, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My children, 20 mo and 7 mo, are basically fully vax'ed. The only two shots I don't "do" are the flu shot and chicken pox. Both of my chilren are in a state-certified home daycare.

My husband drops the children off and said that the sitter told him there's a free flu shot clinic, we should take the kids, she needs it for her paperwork....or something like that. He was incredibly vague, but was saying that the state required the kids to have it.

I'm pretty sure that's bullsh*t (I just check SD's vaccine law on the SD website, and it says nothing about the flu shot), but in the event that it is and I need to claim a religious exemption, IS there a specific one? For the chicken pox vax, I can point out that it was created from aborted fetuses and as a good Catholic, I cannot condone that vaccine. Is there any such "out" for the flu shot?
#2 of 9 Old 10-22-2008, 04:26 PM

From what I have read on here religious exemptions are usually an all or nothing sort of thing.
Does your state have philosophical exemptions? That might work somehow.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#3 of 9 Old 10-22-2008, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Sadly, SD is not a philosophical exemption state.

Perhaps I need to move to MN :
#4 of 9 Old 10-22-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFashionedGirl View Post
Both of my chilren are in a state-certified home daycare.
Here are the state requirements for school and early childhood programs in SD - which I would assume covers a state-certified daycare. Flu vax isn't mentioned.

Quote:
in the event that it is and I need to claim a religious exemption, IS there a specific one? For the chicken pox vax, I can point out that it was created from aborted fetuses and as a good Catholic, I cannot condone that vaccine. Is there any such "out" for the flu shot?
Religious exemptions are all or nothing. You must state opposition to the practice of vaccination in order to claim a religious exemption ... if you claim opposition to certain vaccines only (even for religious reasons), that is considered philosophical exemption; and it is disallowed in your state.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#5 of 9 Old 10-22-2008, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The only state that "mandates" the flu shot is NJ and that is only very recently. As for religious exemptions you cannot pick and choose. You either vaccinate or you don't.
But you don't have to get the flu shot and if this person is telling you it's mandated they are full of it. Ask them to show you your states law that "mandates" flu shots. That should shut them up.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 9 Old 10-22-2008, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Some people get out of flu shots in general since they use eggs... so if your DC have egg allergies...
#7 of 9 Old 10-22-2008, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Sadly, no egg allergies (who ever thought I'd preface that statement with "sadly" ?)

I didn't know that religious exemptions were all or nothing. Well that sucks.

I better go tell DH that we're moving to MN....LOL.

At any rate, it's good to confirm that the flu vax is not mandated.
#8 of 9 Old 10-22-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFashionedGirl View Post
Sadly, no egg allergies (who ever thought I'd preface that statement with "sadly" ?)

I didn't know that religious exemptions were all or nothing. Well that sucks.

I better go tell DH that we're moving to MN....LOL.

At any rate, it's good to confirm that the flu vax is not mandated.
Justed wanted to add you can have a religious revelation at any time and stop vaccinating completely at any time.

Good Luck.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#9 of 9 Old 10-22-2008, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameXCupcake View Post
Justed wanted to add you can have a religious revelation at any time and stop vaccinating completely at any time.

Good Luck.

I do think my religious revelation will be occuring shortly. I'm going to allow my daughter to get vax'd through 12 mo. (MMR shots seprately, no chicken pox) and then I will become extremely religious.

Just a premonition I have

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page