Man paralyzed by flu shot - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,443725,00.html

If this has been posted I apologize. Saw it this morning. Thought I'd share since we're in the throws of the flu proroganda season.
#2 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 12:15 PM

I make a point anytime this comes up to tell my story, My grandmother was also paralyzed by the flu vaccine and never regained any function. My 10 year older grandfather had to spend the rest of his years taking care of her. It was heartbreaking and happened because they were trying to do the right thing. I am will to answer any questions anyone has about it because I am a real face of someone that this happened to.

She would have rather died from the flu than live the last seven years of her life the way she did.

:Retro Mommy to Viv 5/14/04 and my little Bam-Bam Hank 5/16/08 and wife to my electric and electrician hubby Justin: Proud Vegetarian Homeschooling Hippie Freaks!::
#3 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 01:01 PM

DH's 18 yo cousin paralyized from Guillain Barre Syndrome end Aug this year. We almost lost him. He spent 3 weeks in ICU and is now is outpatient rehab - recovery will be at least a year and they really don't know how long it will take. What's even sadder is that his case will probably not even get reported to VAERS as nobody has linked it to the 2 shots he got in the summer. I didn't know the flu shot could also be a trigger. Thanks for posting.
#4 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 01:06 PM

I've had people accuse me of flat out lying about the cause, but this was 10 years ago, happened within week after she got the shot, and the doctors knew immediatly what had caused it. without a doubt it was the flu shot. How it has gone on so long without anyone knowing it is a possibility floors me, its why I try to talk about it whenever I can, although its so frustrating when people who know you and your character refuse to believe it.

:Retro Mommy to Viv 5/14/04 and my little Bam-Bam Hank 5/16/08 and wife to my electric and electrician hubby Justin: Proud Vegetarian Homeschooling Hippie Freaks!::
#5 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 01:10 PM

That is so sad

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#6 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 01:36 PM

After foolishly getting a flu shot a couple of years back, I was immediately sick with fever and whole other set of "flu" symptoms. A month later I started getting neurological problems that were not going away and a few more months later I was dx'ed with MS. Coincidence? I think not as I was only 25 and rarely did I ever get sick with anything and no family neurological/immune issues.
Please, research beforehand!
#7 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 02:43 PM

Thanks for sharing, this hits so close to home for me, so I just have to share my story.

Last year my OB recommended that my hubby and I both get flu shots. We had never had them before, but my dr. insisted that we needed them. I was fine, but my husband got Guillain-Barre. I was 34 weeks pregnant when all of this happened.We were in the hospital from Christmas Eve to New Years Day.

It was a terrifying experience, and there were times where I thought I would lose him. We were very lucky, and he has had a complete recovery (although he still has some minor problems). His dr told us that he would be in a wheelchair at my daughter's birth so we were prepared for that possibility, but he was standing and walking (with a cane) when he left the hospital! I know how lucky we are and I'm thankful every day.

My sister in law brought us some research when he was still in ICU about the link between the flu shot and GBS, I showed it to the doctor, and they admitted that it was likely the cause. They said it just happens so rarely, and it's such a small risk that they cannot discourage people from getting the flu shot. NO ONE in my family will ever get a vaccine again!

Thank you all for letting me share.
#8 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 PM

Thanks for posting this!

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
#9 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 09:37 PM

An older man (over 70) that my dad swam with every morning also got GBS from the flu shot. If I recall that was about 5 yrs ago. He never fully recovered and is no longer swimming.

My grandparents blindly get the flu shot every year...ugh. I wish they would just research it. But to them, doctors could never do any wrong. I worry about them and what it will do as they are just reaching their 80s.

Thanks for starting this thread. Everyone just needs to know.....
#10 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 01:01 PM

My mother couldn't move her arm for a time after getting the flu shot. She has slowly regained movement in it. It took over a year for her to be able to lift it above her head.

blogging.jpg

#11 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 04:25 PM

Scary......The shot is crap.My arm still feels heavy and tingly since the Monday Shot I got out of stupidity
#12 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
The CDC said most people who develop the disease from the flu shot recover completely, while some have lasting nerve damage. In very rare cases, it may result in death.

In addition to pain, Ryan also suffered from numbness and breathing problems. He spent 10 weeks in the hospital, including three weeks in intensive care, cbcnews.ca reported. One year later he remains heavily medicated, unable to work, and has memory problems.
Counting Polio cases BEFORE the vaccine, this case and all the others mentioned here, would have been added to it.

This is what they counted as Polio. There is no difference except the definition was changed.
#13 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 05:44 PM

My dad suffered temporary paralysis due to transverse myelitis due to the flu shot. http://www.myelitis.org/ Fortunately he's otherwise pretty healthy and was able to recover with PT.
#14 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 05:54 PM

Things like this scare me to no end. My dh is military and has no choice but to get any and all shots they want him to have. I worry so much that something like this will happen to him.

I wish these cases were talked about more and publicized more. Personally, I would rather take my chances with the flu than some stupid shot.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#15 of 18 Old 10-25-2008, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mothers neighbour was paralyzed after a vaccine. Iam pretty sure it was the flu shot, but I cannot say for certain.
It took her a full year of therapy to re-learn speaking, and moving. She still moves a little oddly.
She is vehnemtly against all vaccines. She thought to shock me by saying she was trying to convince her grandaughter not to vaccinate her newborn, adn I told her I agreed adn dd was not vaccinated. She looked very surprised then said "and there is nothing wrong with her is there?" , she then started sending her granddaughter my way for walks and chats.
I don't know what the girl decided to do in the end, hopefully she researched the idea and came to an informed choice.

Decluttering 500/2010
#16 of 18 Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 PM

What a side effect!

I would rather have the flu than be possibly paralyzed. Not like I think the flu shot works anyway.
#17 of 18 Old 10-27-2008, 09:20 PM

Wow all these stories are just so scary. I really wish my husband didnt have to get this stupid shot. This makes me worry soo much since every year he ends up sick to his stomach afterward.

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#18 of 18 Old 10-28-2008, 01:21 AM

mama2peyton...your story brought me tears. My brother got GB from the flu shot at age 4. It's an awful thing to watch someone go through. He's now 21, and doing great. He was never supposed to walk again, but he went on to pitch for his high school team's state championship

Still, I can't see how it could ever be worth that to someone. GB is a horrible, horrible disease

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page