When WOULD you give/get the flu shot? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2008, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The other flu vax thread got me thinking - my 4-year-old has reactive airway disease (pneumonia 3 times and bronchitis twice in 3 years), born at 31 weeks and on a vent for a week, and is in daycare 40 hours a week, should he get the flu vax? I'm staunchly anti-vax, he hasn't been vaccinated since he was 6 months old and my new baby hasn't had any, but I'm getting myself all worked up and need to be talked down. Every friggin' little cold goes straight to his chest and way overstays its welcome and it literally just now hit me that "duh, the flu is a respiratory illness" (well, I've known that fact for years, but it just now turned into an "a-ha!" moment).

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 06:37 PM

I would think it comes down to whether you're comfortable risking an adverse reaction to the flu shot (which is not entirely uncommon) for the sake of maybe protecting him from three or four strains of the several that go around each year.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with the risk:reward ratio, but you have to do what is best for your family. Inside Vaccines has a really good collection of hard flu shot data. Its efficacy doesn't seem very good to me, but you might feel differently. Good luck.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Old 11-03-2008, 06:38 PM

Me, personally? Never. I don't think the benefit outweighs the risk. I think there are far safer, more effective methods of avoiding the flu.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
Me, personally? Never. I don't think the benefit outweighs the risk. I think there are far safer, more effective methods of avoiding the flu.
:

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 11-03-2008, 06:54 PM

Never. :

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post

Ditto!!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 PM

I'm not entirely anti-vax. With that said, I have found anecdotally that people have very mixed experiences with the flu vax. Some say they never react, never have "flu-like" symptoms, and never catch the flu with the vax. Others always get the flu (or, "flu-like" symptoms) right after getting the vax. I believe both sets of people. At this point we're not even talking about the more alarming reactions of the flu vax.

I'd be extremely adverse to exposing any sensitive or immunocompromised person to the flu vax. I think the chances are pretty high - say, 50-50 - that the person would at least get a "flu-like illness." To actually inject this and not just take my chances just seems like bad odds to me. I'd rather just wash hands a lot, try to stay away from sick people during the flu season, etc.

For myself, I had the flu vax once, and came right down with "flu-like illness." Nurse said "aren't you glad you had the vax and didn't actually get the flu?" :eyeroll: Hence, I'd rather take my chances - I don't really care if it's technically "the flu" or some other reason that I developed a fever and spent 3 days in bed.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:34 PM

I haven't read the other posts, but my first thought is, if his immune system is already compromised and he's had a fight, I wouldn't dare give him the [ineffective] flu shot and add another attack on his body.

I'm sorry your little guy gets sick so much . I think there are many other safe and effective measures you can take before resorting to the flu shot (washing hands, Vit C, Vit D, good nutrition and sleep).

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 11-03-2008, 07:45 PM

Never. I understand your fears but I believe the flu shot is nothing more than a toxic placebo (especially for children under 2 years old). My 70 year old father got it last year and immediately got sick. I was shocked when he and my 65 year old mom told me last week that they were both going to get it this year. I guess the difference is that they are adults and can make their own decisions. When it comes to my two sons (3 1/2 years old and 15 months old) my husband and I are the ones who make the decisions. There is NO WAY we would allow them to get the flu shot.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:57 PM

Never!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:00 PM

I'm with the everyone who said never.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:00 PM

I suppose I will allow it after I am dead. It would be just as effective then as it is now.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaxmomof2 View Post
Never. I understand your fears but I believe the flu shot is nothing more than a toxic placebo (especially for children under 2 years old). My 70 year old father got it last year and immediately got sick. I was shocked when he and my 65 year old mom told me last week that they were both going to get it this year. I guess the difference is that they are adults and can make their own decisions. When it comes to my two sons (3 1/2 years old and 15 months old) my husband and I are the ones who make the decisions. There is NO WAY we would allow them to get the flu shot.

My gramma gets the flu shot every year. Every year, she gets the flu. Hmmmm. I tell her not to get it, but the medical community has her convinced if she doesn't get the flu shot, she'll get the flu really bad and die

I agree--your LO's immune system is already compromised. I wouldn't risk the shot.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlneub View Post
I suppose I will allow it after I am dead. It would be just as effective then as it is now.
you are an insane optimist!

find some peer-reviewed research on the efficacy of flu vaccines on the deceased before you make any proclamations, please!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
you are an insane optimist!

find some peer-reviewed research on the efficacy of flu vaccines on the deceased before you make any proclamations, please!
I bet they'll show that it's 100% effective in the deceased- of the corpses receiving the vax, none got the flu!

Back to the OP: I'd do a careful risk/benefit analysis of the flu shot. What are the risks of him reacting to the flu shot based on his medical situation? How likely is the shot to actually prevent flu transmission? How would you treat the flu if he caught it? What would you do if he had a bad reaction and then got the flu anyway- could his little body handle that kind of double-whammy?

Personally, I can't imagine any situation in which I'd be comfortable administering the shot, but do your own research and your own risk/benefit analysis.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 11-04-2008, 12:44 AM

NEVER. Not even after death.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
NEVER. Not even after death.
Gitti, you are really serious about this "no junk in my bod" vibe, aren't you?

Now, now, don't be a fanatic.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:11 AM

I bet Gitti does not want her zombified corpse to get sick with all those toxins. It would interfere with her chasing the pharmasellouts. After all, zombies don't move that fast to begin with and toxins slowing her down would make it really hard to catch them.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:20 AM

I say NEVER. Never ever, ever.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:35 AM

In agreement with all the NEVERS. Especially not in someone with immunity or health issues. I would be doing other things, however.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:41 AM

Recent studies show the flu vax to be ineffective under 5:

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/...d-age-bracket/

http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...ull/162/10/943

The first is an analysis of the report, which is the second.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacesmum View Post
Recent studies show the flu vax to be ineffective under 5:

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/...d-age-bracket/

http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...ull/162/10/943

The first is an analysis of the report, which is the second.
WHY exactly do they go ahead and make these recommendations when they don't have solid research to back it up? I just don't understand.

Thank you for the link.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:42 AM

MONEY MONEY MONEY! It disgusts me when I can't pass by a CVS or a Walgreens or even a PUBLIX without Flu Shot signs everywhere. Every year it's the same old tired song and dance about how it's going to be the worst flu season ever so EVERYONE MUST get the flu shot. It's really nauseating.

I personally wouldn't want the toxins in my corpse either LOL!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, thanks for talking me down! You all just reaffirmed what I already knew, I guess I just needed a little knock upside the head Peainthepod, that website RAWKS! Hard data dumbed down, exactly what I needed!

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Old 11-09-2008, 02:18 AM

I was a thrift store a few weeks ago and overheard to older ladies talking. One has weak/damaged lungs so she got the flu shot so she wouldnt get pneumonia.

Guess what she was hospitalized for 3 days after she received the vaccine?

Yup. pneumonia.

Another story of a older lady who received the flu shot and then came down with something, the drs couldn't figure out what she had, all sorts of test where run Couldn't be the flu because she had the shot. Anyway the poor gal was sick as a horse for a month.

No I wouldn't get the flu shot doesn't work.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:09 AM

"The vaccine analyzed was the inactive vaccine, in years when the antigen match was very poor"

THAT is my problem with that article. I understand completely that it is an inherent risk of the flu vaccine every year that the match is a pure shot in the dark. But within a few weeks, we'll know from the reports that start circulating whether this year's vaccine is a good match or not. I want to see research done when the match is a GOOD one.

Here's my thing...I don't like the ingredients in the flu vax, I don't like that it has to be repeated every year, I don't like the number of reports of it causing flu-like symptoms despite my research that has told me that should be an impossibility. In fact, I think it's more likely that people are picking up a little bug at the dr's office when receiving the vaccine, not that they're actually getting the flu FROM the vaccine, but I can't prove that, and I can't overlook contracting mild flu as a possible side effect of the shot. I'm very concerned by some sources suggesting that repeated yearly infection may be increasing autoimmune diseases, and I've been looking for more research on that fact.

Taking all of that into account, I also can't overlook the fact that my son's airway is MALFORMED. Yes, flu scares me. It does not scare me in the slightest for Ian, myself, or my husband. If I thought that Connor's immune system would mount an appropriate immune response to the flu vaccine, and if I found out that this year's match was a good one, then I think that I just might give him the vaccine. It appears that this decision has been taken out of my hands, though, because after careful lab testing and discussion with his pulmonologist, neither of us thinks that he'd mount an immune response anyway.

We can practice flu prevention techniques at home, sure, and we can keep Connor out of large public places as much as possible. But I still have to go to work, hubby still has to go to school, Ian still has to go to preschool, and we still have to do things like grocery shop.

I don't think many of you understand how scary it is to know that something like the flu can KILL your child. Every cough, every sniffle, every fever scares me because I've been the one holding him when the ER dr says it's pneumonia and admits him, when they bring in the vent to have by his bedside, just waiting for his lungs to fail... That will sure change your perspective on things. Those of you who DO understand this, I'm sorry that you do. No mother ever should.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Old 11-09-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
But within a few weeks, we'll know from the reports that start circulating whether this year's vaccine is a good match or not. I want to see research done when the match is a GOOD one.
Me too. But, the push for this shot begins long before the antigen match is even tested. It's mid-November, how long have we been hearing about the flu shot? If the raft of anxious questions from mothers came AFTER the match was established, in a "good" year, that would prompt a different discussion.

Your situation sounds very challenging, and not one to be taken lightly. I don't believe there is ever true impartiality in analysis - your filters are certainly valid, and highlight the profoundly individual nature of vaccine decisions, even under the assumption that a particular vaccine is statistically effective.

One more reason why top-down social engineering is highly alarming.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacesmum View Post
Me too. But, the push for this shot begins long before the antigen match is even tested. It's mid-November, how long have we been hearing about the flu shot? If the raft of anxious questions from mothers came AFTER the match was established, in a "good" year, that would prompt a different discussion.

Your situation sounds very challenging, and not one to be taken lightly. I don't believe there is ever true impartiality in analysis - your filters are certainly valid, and highlight the profoundly individual nature of vaccine decisions, even under the assumption that a particular vaccine is statistically effective.

One more reason why top-down social engineering is highly alarming.
THANK YOU! for understanding. I find this board to be very informative, but like you said, everyone has their filters, and 99+% of the posters on this board are filtering that their chidren are healthy and can handle these diseases.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Old 11-09-2008, 01:52 PM

My 20 month old dd has asthma and she's never had a flu shot despite MUCH pressure to do so, "especially" because of her asthma.
But its that same reason makes me even more adament about not doing it.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:20 PM

never.
the flu vax is a total crapshoot, too-they don't know if the strain of flu that is in the shot is the same one that will be going around. plus it has thimerosal in it.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!

User Tag List