Weekly Chat - Dec. 27 to Jan 5 2009! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2008, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy new week to all!

I've got a sick kiddo, so we're just laying low today, and I'm tired from being coughed on all night long.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 12:35 PM

I was about to start a new chat- I just noticed that we're a day or two behind!

We're home after three days in our hometown visiting family. I need a week of very healthy eating and exercise to recover from the various aches and pains of car travel, strange beds, and holiday junk food!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 12-29-2008, 01:15 PM

On the contrary, I'm finding the holiday yummies to be hitting the spot. NEED MORE! :

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
Old 12-29-2008, 01:25 PM

*Amy*, sorry to hear about your sick kiddo, hope she feels better soon, and you get some sleep.

I never want to see another piece of fudge or a cookie again. Blegh.

Nesting instinct in full effect! DP and I rearranged the living room last night, which required rearranging our bedroom and affected the dining room, so we have a whole crazy new living arrangement. I was full-steam ahead on it for a few hours, ran out of energy at about 9 or 10 but it was good. We are having our house appraised this week and it needs to look decent. We are either refinancing or selling, not sure. Our house is only 865 sq feet with 2 small bedrooms, 2 big dogs, a cat, DP, DD, and I, and baby-to-be. It's getting rather tight. We have thought of moving to a rural area where we can get more house for the $$, the cost of living is less, we can raise our own milk goats and chickens, and have a bigger garden. We are not optimistic about the economy and DP's business has fallen flat (he is a self-employed carpenter). It's a big decision. I want to move out to the country. But thinking about moving and all of this is pretty overwhelming at 24 weeks.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbanmama View Post
I want to move out to the country. But thinking about moving and all of this is pretty overwhelming at 24 weeks.
I agree. We had our house on the market this autumn and had verrrry few lookers despite pricing it below what it's appraised at. I finally got to the point where I decided it just wasn't worth it to move this late in pregnancy, and I'm really glad we took it off the market. Our house is big enough for all of us thoug (plus new baby) and is comfortable and fine, so we'll likely wait until the spring after this coming one to try to sell it again. It's just such a hassle!!

Old 12-29-2008, 04:09 PM

Yuck, i've moved with both my previous pregnancies and it is not fun!

Well, im amazed im going to be 23 weeks this week. Seriously, this pregnancy is flying lol! I'm not complaining. Our week is slow. My oldest is off for another week and we are thinking about going back home for the new year to the bay area. But i know it will end up making me want to move back there lol!

Otherwise, not much else new. Off to call a friend to see if her son wants to come over and play with the girls!

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
Old 12-29-2008, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi Everyone!

Another week!! My husband has been sick (as many of you know via my venting last week - thanks for listening) and I have generally been around plenty of people who are sick recently. I have been so amazed at how healthy I've been staying but I've been feeling pretty crappy the last couple days, especially today. I just feel like my ears are clogged and my nose is extra stuffy. I'm trying to drink as much water as possible to help clear me up! I also spent the whole weekend cleaning out our old apartment so we can do a walk through with the owners today. It was cold in there and I was shampooing the carpets and had wet feet and I just knew that if I was already close to being sick that that would do it. Oh well. I just hope it doesn't get bad and I can get over it quickly!!

I am so sick of eating junk food as well!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
Old 12-29-2008, 04:57 PM

Ugh, Im around sickies too!! I work for a very small non-profit and the people in my little building are HORRIBLY sick, but we dont make much so people come in when they look like zombies. I actually ran into a sickie today at work and said "Stay away devil!!!" It seriously flew out of my mouth. We had a good laugh over it but then I doused myself in disinfectant!!

I got a little nesty too! I took down all our xmas stuff and folded 7 loads of laundry. My mom bought me a new vacuum for xmas to replace our crappy one and I swear, on the first run around the house, the dirt was up to the "full" line in every room!!! At first I was SHOCKED but then i just kept vacuuming til there was NO dirt and it felt GOOD!! It might be psychological but the carpet felt so much softer and cleaner!!

Im feeling GREAT in my preg right now. Besides the backaches and the inability go get a good nights sleep, I feel like I look awesome right now and my DH thinks so too and TELLS me so!

Im also in the moving boat wiht you guys, I dont really want to but we are in a 2 story townhouse and its going to be a tight fit with the baby. (and a pain with the stairs and a homebirth)

Have agreat week everyone!!:

Whoops, one more thing. After being called by a "clinic midwife" (not my primary mw) and her telling me she wants to send me to ANOTHER perinatalogist for better pics of the brain (cause I wont go back to the original), Ive finally said ENOUGH!!!!! I was seeing 4 diff docs for the slew of problems that werent there and Im SICK of being told to go here and there so Im just going to trust that everything is ok and stick with my amazing primary mw(who is also on my side about avoiding any more appts). Phew!

wife. dd1 : dd2
Old 12-29-2008, 05:04 PM

Oh man, I'm sending healthy vibes to everyone :

Lindsay, good for you! Sometimes saying "no" can be so satisfying

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:52 PM

This pg has been going by fairly quickly for me as well. This baby has been hanging out sideways and I'm not liking it. Baby has changed positions a few times but just goes back to transverse up high and pushed way out. My fundus is just about at my ribs so it's rather uncomfortable

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 12-29-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial View Post
This pg has been going by fairly quickly for me as well. This baby has been hanging out sideways and I'm not liking it. Baby has changed positions a few times but just goes back to transverse up high and pushed way out. My fundus is just about at my ribs so it's rather uncomfortable
How far along are you? That seems like it would be SOO uncomfortable! Did you read that tip on one of the other threads about putting some frozen veges on the place you think the babys head is, making it want to move!

Old 12-29-2008, 10:31 PM

Totally off topic, but its how my mind works these days.

Lindsay, i just noticed you were in Sacto. I'm outside of Sacto up in the foothills almost! Are you planning another homebirth or will it be birth center?

Old 12-29-2008, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'm listening to DH give Brynn a bath, and they are singing "Doe, a deer" from Sound of Music.

So after all of that stressing about whether the name Owen is too trendy, and then deciding it wasn't, we've realized it's not really the right name after all. I went with it for a few weeks but it always seemed . . . not authentic, if that makes sense. At the moment, we are both agreeing on William Riley, which makes me feel like this: : (Even though it is kind of funny that William is in the top 10, and I didn't want a "popular" name at all! But it just really seems like who this babe is, so . . . whatchya gonna do!?)

Old 12-30-2008, 02:27 AM

Just got home from vacation today. It was a nice reprieve to be away from my BIL's...The other night the baby kicked so hard we could see my stomach moving! It was SO NEAT!

Ugh, vent time. My brother is in the US Marine Corp. He finished with basic training right before Thanksgiving. I got some friends together WELL IN ADVANCE to throw him a little party...not everyone could show up...including him. So, much to my dismay, DH and I went to spend Thanksgiving with my family. My family and I are very very estranged. My parents are toxic and abusive. BUT, because I love my little brother to death, we went and spent a few hours. My dad ignored us as usual and everything else was fine. DH and I tried AGAIN later on to get my bro to come visit us. No dice...much of his time was spent perusing the mall for girls with a friend of his. We ended up going to the church my dad pastors in order to visit him the day before he left. Yeah...He got to come home on Christmas Eve and he's only here until Jan 5th. I basically told him today that DH and I wouldn't feel like driving out there (DH is leaving for military in 2 weeks so we're doing a lot of visiting on our end) and asked if he could come visit us. He told me he has SO MUCH planned and when he started listing it I realized several days were going to be spent with the same friends from before. Dont' get me wrong, I think friends are important...but I'm his only other sibling. My mother called later to invite DH and I out for New Year's Eve...she said, "He's kinda running short on time this time and got lots to do so not sure if he's going to make it your way this time or not." And then proceeded to list all the things they were doing together. I KNOW I"M BEING SELFISH. But, for my mental health, I cannot spend time with my parents. I get anxiety and bad feelings that can take at least a day to get over. I'm just hurt because I feel like I'm taking backseat...and for awhile he and I were getting really close.

Anyway...

I haven't felt like nesting...I've felt like being LAZY!!! I have laundry sitting in the dryer from earlier this evening and I can't bring myself to fold it.

Anyone else getting Braxton Hicks? At least, I think that's what that crampy feeling is...it feels like I do the week before my period.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 12-30-2008, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I was lazy last week, recovering from traveling I guess, but this weekend and today I've been on a roll. We painted the huge master bedroom this weekend and I've been decluttering like a madwoman today. My 2y is potty learning which is so nice, I really didn't want 2 in diapers. I had been planning on getting together with a MW that I know to discuss if she would take me as a client if I decide to go with a MW, but I just can't seem to make myself contact her. I feel at peace right now with continuing to to UP and I just don't have the desire to speak with her yet. That may change, we'll see, but I figure I have more then enough time left.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:13 AM

I forgot to add...apparently I have another yeast infection. The doctor didn't mention it, but the symptoms are there. Maybe clearing it up will make sex less painful before DH leaves.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 12-30-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka mommy View Post
Totally off topic, but its how my mind works these days.

Lindsay, i just noticed you were in Sacto. I'm outside of Sacto up in the foothills almost! Are you planning another homebirth or will it be birth center?
IN the foothills?! Were planning on (eventually) moving to Nevada City!! We love those darn foothills!

This will be my second homebirth with Tosi and first with her partner Rachel, from Birthstream!! Are you doing a hb too?:

Old 12-30-2008, 06:33 AM

OMG!!! You wouldn't believe what I woke up to today??? I was staying in bed, nursing a little headache, while ds was still snoozing next to me, but both little girls were up playing. My little one (she's two) came running into the bedroom, and I opened my eyes to see that her sister had CUT HER HAIR all the way down to the scalp!!!! Well, there were some longer pieces mixed in too, but most of it is less than 1/2 inches long. AHHHHH!!!!!

So I got up and hollarded (sp?) for my 4-year old to come upstairs (not my proudest moment) to see that her lovely hair was chopped down to less than shoulder length. I didn't spank or yell further, but did send the 4-year old to her room so that mommy could calm down.

We have our (late) Christmas photos scheduled for Sunday.

I kept repeating to myself...this too shall pass...and...it's only hair; it will grow back (in like two years)!

Hubby came home at lunch so he could hold me while I sat on the couch and laughed and cried about it at the same time.

I can tell you...my headache didn't improve much...it actually got worse as the day went on...

Then to finish the day...ds got kicked HARD in the nose (thought it was broken for a while), dd#1 cut open a finger on a knife while cutting a brownie without help and bleed a lot for a few minutes, then she walked into her bunk bed ladder and the bump on her head turned black right away, and then I coughed suddenly (still recovering from flu symptoms) and peed in my own bed! What a day!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Wow Michelle - listening to your day makes me feel :, I cannot imagine how you feel! I hope it all goes over well. I'm sure a hair dresser can make dds' hair look beautiful!

Amy - I love William Riley. Kuddos for thinking of keeping Riley as a boy's name I love that name and I guess like it for either a girl or a boy and I am pretty sure it is originally a boy name, but now I feel it sounds too girly to be a first name for a boy. Maybe not though, I really like it! Will you call him Will? I love that name!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
Old 12-30-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
How far along are you? That seems like it would be SOO uncomfortable! Did you read that tip on one of the other threads about putting some frozen veges on the place you think the babys head is, making it want to move!
26 weeks. I can get the baby to move by pressing my hand firmly on it's bottom but within a few hours baby goes right back. This baby seems to hate being touched poor little thing freezes or tries to run away if it feels more than a light touch

I'm thinking that baby is prefering transverse because I sit all day which compresses my already short torso. Last night I ate too much and went in the recliner very reclined and baby swooshed to diagonal. I'm going to try and keep an eye on it

Afwife on the family situation

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 12-30-2008, 01:43 PM

baby was definitely transverse last night. It's the first time I was 100% positive of her position. I was getting kicks/punches near both hips.

scraphappy-Red
- . OMG. That is an awful, terrible, no good, very bad day. I really, really hope today is better. It sounds like the little one's hair is so short . Cute hats for the picture? Know anyone that has a thing for wigs? Take care.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
IN the foothills?! Were planning on (eventually) moving to Nevada City!! We love those darn foothills!

This will be my second homebirth with Tosi and first with her partner Rachel, from Birthstream!! Are you doing a hb too?:
We are at the very bottoms lol, not all the way up in them YET. But i hope to one day move up there and get a few acres. We are in EDH's for the time being.

I've heard wonderful things about Birthstream! My midwives were going to refer me to them because they were going to be on vacation for this birth, but they wont be now! I'm with One Heart Midwifery, they were with us for my last dd's birth too!

scrappyhappy -Red, im so sorry for your miserable day. Hopefully the rest of the week is MUCH better.

My last dd was transverse for quite awhile, it was rather uncomfy. But i much prefered it to when she finally flipped and dropped at 34 weeks to 0 station and engaged.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:03 PM

Well, baby is back to kicking (or punching?) me in the colon today. Hooray .

I'm nesting. I need to clean the rest of the house, but find myself stopping frequently (and for long periods of time) in baby's room. I put up a shelf, sorted her shoes (all the way up to size 8! Gotta love hand-me-downs, of course there are some sizes missing), washing prefolds, broke a piggy bank (woops!).

Of course, the same laundry has been on the couch since before christmas, but the baby's room is starting to look good!

Old 12-30-2008, 06:27 PM

LOL! It's great hearing how everyone is nesting. DH thought i was insane because ive been nesting, but we dont have to prepare anything for the babe since it wont be with us lol. So we overhauled our downstairs living area into a playroom for the girls for christmas, repainted and everything. Next on my list is to finish the picture wall in our living room, get a new sectional and paint the accent wall and hang curtains. At least this energy is getting put to good use!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:01 PM

It's amazing how instinctual it is! You're going to have an awesome house by the time you're done with your surrogacy .

Old 12-30-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka mommy View Post
We are at the very bottoms lol, not all the way up in them YET. But i hope to one day move up there and get a few acres. We are in EDH's for the time being.

I've heard wonderful things about Birthstream! My midwives were going to refer me to them because they were going to be on vacation for this birth, but they wont be now! I'm with One Heart Midwifery, they were with us for my last dd's birth too!
You have got to be joking, I grew up in EDH!!! (right by jackson elementary) What a small world!!
I have heard nothing but great things about One Heart. In fact I think tons of people on the Sacto MDC have been with either them or Birthstream!

Old 12-31-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
You have got to be joking, I grew up in EDH!!! (right by jackson elementary) What a small world!!
I have heard nothing but great things about One Heart. In fact I think tons of people on the Sacto MDC have been with either them or Birthstream!
That is crazy, really is a small world!!!

I believe that i learned about One Heart here on MDC! :

Old 12-31-2008, 02:55 AM

My partner started nesting this evening- big time. He's been through all his drawers and the bedroom closet, was walking around with the measuring tape plotting shelves, cleaned one of the bookshelves and made an enormous pile of stuff to take down to the crawlspace. I'm excited about a decluttered house :

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 12-31-2008, 03:01 AM

Awesome! I've got the nesting bug. DH is just glad I'm cleaning the house

DH has to fast for 12 hours tonight. We'll see if he can make it. This is like his 12th try. Last night he made it until after midnight. I got up this morning and he said he ate a cookie and I said he could probably still do it and then he said he actually ate 4 cookies. He would not be a very good religious ascetic .

Old 12-31-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraphappy-Red View Post
OMG!!! You wouldn't believe what I woke up to today???

Wow, wow, wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanders4 View Post
Wow Michelle - listening to your day makes me feel :, I cannot imagine how you feel! I hope it all goes over well. I'm sure a hair dresser can make dds' hair look beautiful!

Amy - I love William Riley. Kuddos for thinking of keeping Riley as a boy's name I love that name and I guess like it for either a girl or a boy and I am pretty sure it is originally a boy name, but now I feel it sounds too girly to be a first name for a boy. Maybe not though, I really like it! Will you call him Will? I love that name!
My little cousin is named Riley, he's just over 1, and he really suits the name. Not too girly at all

When baby get in a weird position (especially when it kicks my colon) I do this fast hip movement and I think it spins the baby and moves the feet away from my sensitive areas. Does anyone else do this? Dh thinks its hilarious when he sees me do it. Maybe baby will come out with whiplash

I haven't started nesting yet but I am trying to figure out some storage baskets for diapers. We have a smallish 3 drawer dresser big enough for clothes and blankets. On top will be a contoured change pad. But there's no room for the diapers (they take up 2 drawers all on their own)
So I'm thinking a small 3 level shelf with some large Ikea baskets for the diapers...we can used these for toys eventually. I'm all about buying things for multiple purposes

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

User Tag List