Sposies and Wipes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-08-2009, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those mamas NOT cloth diapering..... what do you plan on using?

If this is not your first child, what have you used in the past? What didn't work well for you?

I want to be sensible with my choice for disposable diapers without breaking the bank (I'd like to use a more natural and biodegradable type) but there is so much mixed feedback on which absorb best and fit the best. I'm just a little weary or the "sensitive swaddlers" by pampers which many swear are great - but from what I read have "lotion" in them, yuck.

Also, for wipes, reading ingredients on the outside of packages for the popular brands leave my head spinning. Even for the sensitive, fragrance free kind.

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#2 of 24 Old 01-08-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2be_k View Post
For those mamas NOT cloth diapering..... what do you plan on using?

If this is not your first child, what have you used in the past? What didn't work well for you?

I want to be sensible with my choice for disposable diapers without breaking the bank (I'd like to use a more natural and biodegradable type) but there is so much mixed feedback on which absorb best and fit the best. I'm just a little weary or the "sensitive swaddlers" by pampers which many swear are great - but from what I read have "lotion" in them, yuck.

Also, for wipes, reading ingredients on the outside of packages for the popular brands leave my head spinning. Even for the sensitive, fragrance free kind.
Okay, no experience with sposies here, but a mom I know whose kid had like the most sensitive skin in the universe said they get the "green" brand from Toys'r'us b/c it's the best price there.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#3 of 24 Old 01-08-2009, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

oooooo - interesting.

A generic brand? or do you mean the package was green (in color)?

FWIW - I wish my DH was on board to CD. I just can't convince him that washing diapers is any better for the environment than throwing them away. Sigh. Your stash is totally cute Kate!

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#4 of 24 Old 01-08-2009, 08:02 PM

When I had DS, we were living on a military base overseas with few diaper options. I bought either Pampers or Huggies, whichever was cheapest. Now that we are in the US, I buy big cases of Huggies at Costco, and they are the cheapest non-generic diapers I have found. DS never had a reaction to diapers or to wipes. For wipes, I still buy whatever is on sale, and these days, it is the cases of Huggies Aloe wipes from Costco.

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#5 of 24 Old 01-08-2009, 08:26 PM

I did Seventh Generation for a short while before changing to cloth and doing EC.

I ordered from drugstore.com because at the time, it was the only place I could get it. The free shipping helped. Now you can find it in more places.

Though alter I found that even Seventh Generation has the bead things in them and Tushies didn't. I leanred that at

http://www.thediaperhyena.com/disposableanatomy.htm

This was almost 5 years ago so things may have changed with disposable lines.

HTH!
A.
#6 of 24 Old 01-08-2009, 08:55 PM

We use sposies at night and have found Huggies to be the most absorbent for our little super-soaker. I prefer the cheap Huggies, the ones in the white package, but DH just bought a big box of the red package. They work well but they are more expensive and I think they're ugly! lol They are very colorful and cartoony. I buy Target brand unscented wipes but I also really like the Costco brand wipes.
#7 of 24 Old 01-08-2009, 10:08 PM

With both girls, I used Pampers Swaddlers, and I'll do the same with Aiden. We also used either Pampers Sensitive Wipes or Parents' Choice Sensitive cloth wipes. Anything else gave the girls a rash.

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#8 of 24 Old 01-08-2009, 10:16 PM

I am planning on cloth diapering this child, but have much experience with sposies as well, and what I have found (as far as containing leaks go) is that we like the pampers for when they are little bitty, and when they get a little bit older, we switch to luvs. For some reason, I don't like the way luvs fit newborns, and I don't like the pampers on older babies.
#9 of 24 Old 01-08-2009, 11:38 PM

Experiment w/ store brands... a lot of people have good luck w/ the brand that Albertsons/Acme sells, CVS pharmacy, Target, Wal-mart's White Cloud, Costco's Kirkland.

Pampers & Luvs are both fragranced, which really turns me off, but a lot of people swear by them for no leaks.

For wipes, most store brands do a good unscented one for sensitive skin. We really like Costco's Kirland brand wipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2be_k View Post
FWIW - I wish my DH was on board to CD. I just can't convince him that washing diapers is any better for the environment than throwing them away. Sigh.
Not passing any judgement here (we use sposies when we travel & now overnight on dd), but does he take into account not only the dipes in landfills, but also all of the water & energy that goes into the PRODUCTION of sposies?
#10 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 12:47 AM

We'll be CDing again but we've been taking a break from CDs with DD until the new guy arrives so I can definitely appreciate the convenience of sposies!

DD was in the NICU for 3 weeks at birth and was too tiny for her cloth for the first few weeks. We used Pamper Swaddlers then and they fit great even on her tiny, 5 lbs. tush. Now, we're using Seventh Generation dipes and wipes and we really like them. Her skin is so sensitive that even the unscented, sensitive skin Pampers wipes made her red. No blowouts or leaks with the SGs so far!

Not sure what you have nearby, but we found that our Big Lots carries Seventh Generation dipes for about $8 for a pack of 40. I'm not sure how much other dipes cost, but friends of ours with twins said that was a lot cheaper than what they were paying.

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#11 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 01:47 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot about Pamper's Swaddlers! Those are the BEST for newborns! They are SO soft! Not as soft as cloth, obviously, but much softer than other sposies.
#12 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 09:37 AM

we'll use pampers swaddlers probably w/ riley as a newborn. but i've found that pampers isn't good for babies w/big bellies. which mine have. the rise is too long if you have to put it below their buddha bellies. LOL so after about 6wks i'll switch to something else (prob. huggies).

this is all if i decide not to do a CD service, which i haven't decided on yet. lol
#13 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post
Experiment w/ store brands... a lot of people have good luck w/ the brand that Albertsons/Acme sells, CVS pharmacy, Target, Wal-mart's White Cloud, Costco's Kirkland.

Pampers & Luvs are both fragranced, which really turns me off, but a lot of people swear by them for no leaks.

For wipes, most store brands do a good unscented one for sensitive skin. We really like Costco's Kirland brand wipes.

Not passing any judgement here (we use sposies when we travel & now overnight on dd), but does he take into account not only the dipes in landfills, but also all of the water & energy that goes into the PRODUCTION of sposies?
we went through a super debate recently on this topic... he dug up tons of research on (closed, out of commission) landfills, and how the methane from these landfills is converted into electricity. Blah, blah....
He feels like it's a step back in time, and too much work to be worth it. I've tried many angles! Right now, I'm looking to find a somewhat affordable brand that uses few chemicals and biodegrades easier than the big name brands. Anyone have experience with -

Earths Best .26 (I think these are made by the same company as Tushies)
Tushies .27
Tender Care .24
Seventh Generation .24
Nature Babycare .26
Pampers Swaddlers .23

#14 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The second time around, we partially used sposies and partially cloth. Seventh Generation worked wonderfully for us - not one leak, even overnight! They also make wipes. *Our second dd had ongoing issues with yeast and we switched to sposies and stripped her cloth dipes every time she had a new irritation develop. Sposies helped her clear up most quickly.
We still use the 7th Gen. trainers for our 3yo overnight.

We order our Seventh Generation dipes from wholesale.frontiercoop.com - I started a buying club with two of my friends. Between our 3 families, we easily spend the minium $200 on natural products at least every other month. (This gets us FREE shipping.)
They also sell them at natural/healthfood stores, Target, Babies R Us, grocery stores, etc. I don't keep up with who has the best price.
Pampers swaddlers never fit my newborns - but they were 9+ & 10+ lb at birth, so that's probably why. Huggies Supreme worked best for us for our older daughter. My sister loves her pampers, but they are scented and it is overpowering to me!

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#15 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Huggies from costco and the kirkland (unscented) wipes. That said, I made a command decision and we'll be CD'ing this time around, at least initially (dh and I have had the same landfill vs water use debate; last time, he "won" by default, because I didn't prepare properly for Cloth diapers and was a little overwhelmed anyway).

Different brands do fit differently. I think we tried several, before settling on the huggies.

Mom of two girls.
#16 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Maybe gdiapers ( www.gdiapers.com) would be a good compomise? It is a cloth cover with a disposable insert.
I only have limited experience with them, my nephew is in them and I've been babysitting him occasionally. They are really cute and as easy to change as a disposable. You can flush, compost or thow away the insert. I don't know how they compare cost wise, though.

We used mainly disposables with out older 3 because I didn't have a washer and dryer. There were a few generic brands that were horrible, but most of them were fine, so I would try them out. My kids had sensitive skin, but most of them were not a problem. We didn't use wipes, we used wet washcloths instead. If we were out, I'd just put some paper towels in a ziploc bag with some water, and they worked well too.
#17 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 04:34 PM

I am not in your ddc, but wanted to chime in and recommend making your own wipes. I do this with a roll of paper towel (bounty works best, but the target brand works well) some baby wash, warm water, and baking soda. YOu just cut the roll of paper towels in half, mix 2 c of warm water, 2 tbs of baby wash and baking soda. Poor mix over towels and boom you have wipes for less than a dollar...and they last long too!

For diapers, I do like Pampers at first, but then later I have found wm white-cloud and walgreens to work just as well as name-brand. THough I do cd full-time, I do keep sposies on hand for outings, babysitters, etc.
#18 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smocklets View Post
Maybe gdiapers ( www.gdiapers.com) would be a good compomise? It is a cloth cover with a disposable insert.
I only have limited experience with them, my nephew is in them and I've been babysitting him occasionally. They are really cute and as easy to change as a disposable. You can flush, compost or thow away the insert. I don't know how they compare cost wise, though.

We used mainly disposables with out older 3 because I didn't have a washer and dryer. There were a few generic brands that were horrible, but most of them were fine, so I would try them out. My kids had sensitive skin, but most of them were not a problem. We didn't use wipes, we used wet washcloths instead. If we were out, I'd just put some paper towels in a ziploc bag with some water, and they worked well too.
I actually started a thread here (that got moved... lol) asking about gdiapers. I looked into them pretty deeply and thought that it was a great idea! DH remained defiant.

#19 of 24 Old 01-18-2009, 06:15 PM

We used Pampers Swaddlers for DD2 for a couple of weeks when she was born. She was 7lbs 14 oz (or was it 11? haha I can't remember) and they worked well.
I've tried cloth with both DDs and we always ended back using sposies...mostly because DH was never totally on board and I returned to work or college and found them overwhelming with all the other household duties.
#20 of 24 Old 01-18-2009, 10:07 PM
acp

We use sposies at night, and we use Nature Babycare. I get them from Diapers.com. THey've worked great, and I like that they're a lot more environmentally friendly than most diapers. We only started using them when DD was about 11 months old, so I'm not sure how they are on newborns. I know a lot of people swear by pampers swaddlers for newborns in terms of containing poop, though honestly, we had horrible luck with them when we used them while traveling (when DD was 2-3 months) - it made us really miss our cloth dipes.
I've also used 7th Generation, and liked them too, but I like Nature Babycare better - we seem to have fewer leaks, and they seem a bit better environmentally.
#21 of 24 Old 01-19-2009, 02:51 PM

Dd was allergic to most sposies, hives just from touchi g them, we tried the seventh generation and no reaction and they worked fine. She was cd'd but we used sposies for her some after the twins were born.

The twins have been in sposies for awhile now and we've been fairly happy with luvs. When we buy them at bj's the price is very close to generic, sometimes less, and they work well. The purfime is terrible though but for the price and fit I've learned to deal with it.

Pampers work well too and the ourfume is less but they're more expensive. Sometimes they'll be on sale and well have cupons and then I'll get them. Huggies even the "cheap" ones are too expensive.

Generics, mixed bag. I've found they're fine for the start of a size but they have way less stretch than the nambrands so baby needs to size up sooner. A can wear size 4 luvs no problem but needs a 5 sometimes 6 generic. D wears a size 3 with the tabs overlapping (he can fit into a 2 but the rise is too short, not good for a 2yo with chronic diorrhea) with his weird build we can't find a generic that contains everything

As for wipes. We use face cloth or cloth wipes. We just wash them with the towels. We only use sposie wipes when were out, and eventhen we're more likely to wet a papertowel if there are any.

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#22 of 24 Old 01-19-2009, 04:33 PM

Just piping in to say that although we did not use many sposies, Tushies were a disaster. I still have like, 20 from a bag of 24. They were SO not absorbent- it was like having a plastic bag with toilet paper rolled up in it. Horrible. And we EC so it was not like this was not working for two or three hours. They did not hold ONE PEE. Plus, they have tape that gets stuck to baby's skin.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#23 of 24 Old 01-20-2009, 12:03 PM

I am also using Nature BabyCare. Just started using them last month on 20 month old DD. I have tried pretty much all the sposies out there and I really like these the best. My only complaint is the sizing...DD is too small for size 3 but size 4 seems to big...seems this a common issue with this brand (first 3 sizes run small, and 4+ run large) That said, I have had no problems with leakage of any sort (we are using size 4) and we have had some really messy poops as of late with DD not feeling well. Also, I have noticed that her skin just looks so much better now that she is wearing these diapers. The Seventh Generation are nice...and never had a problem with them, but they always left a crust on DD that seemed to irritate her. Same thing with the gel in the big name brands. Tushies were a leaking disaster for us as well.

When she was a newborn, I had her in Huggies as the liner in the Swaddlers would stick to her and make her miserable. After that we were solely 7th Gen until I got the Nature babycare. I plan on using Nature Babycare for sposies for baby #2 as well. I will not go back to another brand of diaper...HTH. I get them from Amazon...with the subscription program and the free shipping they aren't that much more expensive that the other brands.
#24 of 24 Old 01-20-2009, 01:31 PM

DD1 was a major spitter, so b/w all that laundry, and the fact we were living in an apartment where the coin-op teeny tiny washing machine required going outside... I didn't CD with her.

And I have a hard enough time getting DH to do more than 'token' contributions, so CDing a newborn just isn't feasible for us. Though I will hopefully switch.

Anyway, we really like the Pampers Swaddlers (though not any of the other Pampers). Once she outgrew those, we switched to Huggies. For wipes, I prefer the Pampers Sensitive. With that combination, we have only had less than a handful of diaper rashes.

My suggestion: it'll mean more trips to the store but... get small packs of a new brand to see if you like it. though don't get too many at once (unless you're good about bringing returns back) in case you find the 'right' fit early on.

(Also ditto-ing that regular Pampers and Luvs have a strong (IMO) fragrance, even though they're supposedly fragrance-free.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page