April HBers - Check in here! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2009, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
katiedidbug, hope you are having a peaceful day today.

Anyone doing anything to encourage labor? Dh and I have thought about DTD but haven't found the time or energy LOL.

I can't find the time to get on my hands and knees, either, and don't remember to use the birth ball until bedtime. I sit and rock and bounce on it, then lean on it, while I'm waiting for the kids to fall asleep at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjefita View Post
katiedidbug, hope you are having a peaceful day today.

Anyone doing anything to encourage labor? Dh and I have thought about DTD but haven't found the time or energy LOL.

I can't find the time to get on my hands and knees, either, and don't remember to use the birth ball until bedtime. I sit and rock and bounce on it, then lean on it, while I'm waiting for the kids to fall asleep at night.
I've been drinking about a quart of RRL tea a day and sticking 4 capsules of epo into the vaginal canal every night as close to my cervix as possible.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
Old 03-30-2009, 05:38 PM

I've totally forgotten about RRL tea!! I've got some at home, I just need to start making it. I'm going to be making the pregnancy tea from Aviva Jill Romm's book.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 PM

I started drinking RRL again once I reached full term (I was nervous with all of the contractions before that). Nothing else to encourage baby and I'm happy to let him/her decide when to come. I'm just trying to eat well, get regular exercise and enjoy these last moments

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 03-30-2009, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm not doing anything to encourage labor. Last pg I had a difficult MW situation, she had taken time off from her full time job around the time we guessed baby might make an appearance. No baby despite trying everything like sex, walking, and on and on. Baby came the first day she went back to work. I've decided it's hopeless, baby will arrive when it's ready, not when it works for me!

That being said, I'm 37 weeks, and baby really can come out now if it would like to. I'm just tired, I'm not sleeping at all, and I don't know how many more weeks I can go on this exhausted. I can deal with all the normal pg issues, but dealing with them on no sleep day after day is a bit much. Considering that I've yet to have a pg last past 38 weeks, I'm hoping this baby won't decide to cook longer then the others ones have.....

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:40 PM

I'm also trying to be zen about the whole thing and enjoy the moment. Not doing anything to encourage the contractions, except visualize and talk to the baby. I have to say, whenever I have a few stronger ctx in a row, I get SO excited and start praying for more. I'm all "bring it on, I'm ready for this!" LOL. Good thing I don't actually remember what real labor ctx feel like.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial View Post
If my bathtub was deeper we wouldn't have gotten a birthpool. Ours is only 13" deep it just covers my pubic area I don't mind it being small. I never moved when I labored in the water before. I was actually looking for the smallest birthpool
My first daughter was born in a garden tub. Not NEARLY deep enough to immerse my ginormous belly. Also didn't maintain temperature so I kept getting cold. : But then, it was December in a hospital ...
I'm looking forward to having the aquadoula again. :

Nightly cleaning blitzes, Mamas??? I wish our home stayed organized enough for 10 minutes to make it presentable. Getting to that point is my goal for this week. I'll be 38 weeks next weekend and won't be able to relax until everything is clean.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
Old 03-30-2009, 11:56 PM

would the rrl tea help encourage my labor to pick up now that my water has broken?? im starting to get annoyed. lol.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:55 AM

RRL can't hurt :

There's also nipple stimulation, and acupressure, too, for easy DIY things to try.

Good luck- I'm looking forward to your story soon!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 03-31-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky leeuhhh View Post
would the rrl tea help encourage my labor to pick up now that my water has broken?? im starting to get annoyed. lol.
It couldn't hurt. Try drinking a ton to have the maximum effect, though.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
Old 03-31-2009, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
After buying all my homebirth supplies over the weekend I was reminded of just how much I am saving our healthcare system (Canada). I can't believe that midwives, and homebirths specifically, are not universally endorsed across the country. If I birthed in the hospital and stayed a total of two days, I'm sure my bill would be well over $6000. Crazinesss...

It's like I'm making a $6000 donation to our healthcare system
Old 04-01-2009, 01:23 AM

Lilgreen The health care 'system' in the US is SUCH a train wreck. I can't believe our crappy insurance pays so little of the home birth costs when I'm not going to be costing them much (I have a $2000 deductible!! . If we ever get universal health care going here, I think homebirthers should at least get a thank you note from the president for saving the country a few bucks. Home birth could be like victory gardens--victory births!

So, does RRL really help bring labor on? I'm only 38 wks, but am getting a little worried (I was induced unsuccessfully at 42.5 wks. last time) and extremely uncomfortable. I am popping a EPO capsule up in there nightly (and doing the usual thing when DH and I aren't too tired), but maybe I'll try two capsules. Other suggestions?

Have a happy hump day ladies!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:11 AM

nevermind

aka: wannabeamamamia
SLC vegan mom to 2 boys- &
Old 04-12-2009, 02:10 AM

No one has posted here for a while, I was wondering if any of the hb mamas had their babies? And maybe wanna share stories? I looked through the announcement page but I've been AWOL so long, I can't tell who's who. We had a hard semester at school (me, the kids and dh) so it's just been hectic and then I fall into bed at night. But now I just want this baby to come and so I sit up and worry, lol.

The cleaning thing is right on. I do that at night too, just in case! Plus, we don't have the tub. We will have to set it up when things start cuz MW is bringing it with her. That may not work well with short labor but ah well. Right now labor would be great, forget the tub!

I'm due the 18th but figure I'll go late again. Anyone else a tad apathetic about being prego? On a bright note, had a great massage today and my back isn't killing me. So wonderful.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:40 AM

Mine is here!
Lucas

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 04-12-2009, 03:29 AM

YAY you are both so beautiful! Welcome Lucas! What a nice hb story! Sounded like a wonderful experience, I'm so happy for you!
Old 04-12-2009, 03:50 AM

RRL does not start labour. It is just full of vitamins that help strengthen the uterus for contractions and healing. Can't hurt but I would not use it in lieu of other "natural" inductions if you really want to get things going. I learned that vitamin C, huge amounts, such as the kind found in Emergen-C, can lead to contractions but if you aren't dilated that is not what you want!

****WARNING- theoretical birth loss mentioned ahead!!!*****

Quote:
If I birthed in the hospital and stayed a total of two days, I'm sure my bill would be well over $6000. Crazinesss...
:blink: Oh, wow, $6,000 Canadian, that sounds like just a bit less than what I'm paying OUT OF POCKET for a homebirth here in the U.S. because my insurance charged me three deductibles for one birth: one for me for 2008, one for me for 2009, and one for baby (anticipated) 2009. I was like, so if the baby doesn't make it out as expected, then would that just be TWO deductibles, then or do you charge a deductible for the stillborn child as well? The lady on the phone was just like, "Um..." I was calling to cancel coverage. And that was pretty expensive coverage, too.

Thank God we are now covered by DH's TriCare. At least if I have to go to the hospital, they can't deny us.

Not to sound flip but $6,000... I bet most people here dream of a $6,000 bill from the hospital!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 04-12-2009, 05:05 PM

Our insurance covered most of our midwife cost ($4500) and we paid 1k out of pocket, didn't include bloodwork, medication (I'm RH- and hormone therapy), ultrasounds or consult (for possible gallbladder issue). So we really ran up the bill this year.

But I'm with you, I was SO MAD last pg b/c my son was born in a hospital and NO ONE was there when I delivered. We shouted for a nurse to come and she got in there in time to catch. That's it. No checks, no hearttones, not even a blanket to wrap him in when he was born (in triage). We were there 2 hours and they just told me to go home. This would have all been fine (since it turned out well) but then I saw the bill. $10,000. I didn't even have a room or a doctor or a midwife there to make sure me and my baby were safe and well (which is why I chose the hospital!) TEN GRAND??? For what? for them to tell me to leave (and I did 24 hours after delivery - because they had no rooms - I was sharing with another woman who was having a party all darn day with 30 people in a tiny recovery room that was not big enough for our 2 beds).

I was very happy with my birth experience, and I had a healthy strong baby. But that bill was highway robbery. Luckily, insurance paid most of it, and they waived our part (which was like $100) Still ridiculous.

We chose the homebirth this time in hopes that it will still be a good experience for me and baby and we WILL have the safety and security of having a professional midwife to be there with us. And yes, sadly it's costing us WAY more financially this time.

*CHEERS* to beautiful healthy births! They are worth it, imo.

:
Old 04-12-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latenightanarchy View Post
Our insurance covered most of our midwife cost ($4500) and we paid 1k out of pocket, didn't include bloodwork, medication (I'm RH- and hormone therapy), ultrasounds or consult (for possible gallbladder issue). So we really ran up the bill this year.

But I'm with you, I was SO MAD last pg b/c my son was born in a hospital and NO ONE was there when I delivered. We shouted for a nurse to come and she got in there in time to catch. That's it. No checks, no hearttones, not even a blanket to wrap him in when he was born (in triage). We were there 2 hours and they just told me to go home. This would have all been fine (since it turned out well) but then I saw the bill. $10,000. I didn't even have a room or a doctor or a midwife there to make sure me and my baby were safe and well (which is why I chose the hospital!) TEN GRAND??? For what? for them to tell me to leave (and I did 24 hours after delivery - because they had no rooms - I was sharing with another woman who was having a party all darn day with 30 people in a tiny recovery room that was not big enough for our 2 beds).

I was very happy with my birth experience, and I had a healthy strong baby. But that bill was highway robbery. Luckily, insurance paid most of it, and they waived our part (which was like $100) Still ridiculous.
Wow! Your hospital experience is nuts!

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 04-12-2009, 06:21 PM

hospitals are crazy and sometimes I think highway robbery would be nicer

I'm terrified of hospitals. Having the twins and all that went along with that just made it 100x worse
That's the big reason we're having a hb. Dh was pushing for another bc birth but because I'm a vbac it risked me out to the hospital. He said it's worth the $$$ just to keep me out of hospital

Our hb is costing $2700 bc or hospital birth would be $0 so that's a big difference

When my twins were born a guy got paid to watch, just stand there and watch the surgery nothing else, $750 PER BABY!!! $1500 just to hang in the or for 20-30 minutes. He left before they closed me up. The bill said it was "presense at high risk delivery" so I don't know if he would have gotten paid more if he had to do something or what that something would have even been. It was "high risk" simply because there were two babies

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 04-12-2009, 09:17 PM

Yeah an uncomplicated vaginal birth with a less than 24-hour stay and NO medical interventions is around 10K here. I would be covered 100% though except for $15 copay for each office visit and the $200 deductible for the year that I already used for something else anyway. Instead my HB is around 4K and I will get covered at either 60% or 80% (if I can convince for an in-network exception, which I'll try for). I'm okay with it (obviously). Its worth it to me. I'm actually feeling fairly lucky that in CA they have to at least cover it at all!

I haven't had the baby. Sigh. Am going to take a long walk tonight and have a date with DH, since I might not get to do that for a while (mom is here). I have had some intermittent painful contractions (like one woke me up in the night...) but nothing regular yet.

I have all my supplies, had my home visit, tried out the pool, mom got here, I even baked the layers for the baby's "birthday cake" and put them in the freezer. So, we're as ready as we can be.

Good luck mommas! Can't wait to hear about your HBs.

dissertating mom to three

Old 04-12-2009, 10:38 PM

OMG! I was reading back to some of the posts I missed and I saw the one about supplies and stuff and all I can say is I'm going to try to post some links to stuff that are AMAZING. I have my birth kit, baby clothes, towels etc all ready. I use cloth pads but if you just get like 3-5 of THESE, they are AWESOME! It does have a chemical inside -twist or squeeze it to activate, so gotta keep away from littles, but if you alter them with cloth over the first 24 hours and just use one every 4 hours or so, the swelling and soreness are about 1/2 as without (I know from experience!) My MW looked at me sideways when I showed her, and she said something about wanting to avoid unnatural stuff and I just said, I know but I just need these. And you don't wear them constantly. Just a few as a cold compress/pad. They are really very very nice.

Also, I am getting a nice diaper bag custom made from Etsy and can let everyone know how that is when I get it. Also my mama pads were from Etsy as well and I'm really satisfied with them - I haven't used them yet for PP obviously but tested them with water and they could hold what I considered a pretty good amount, they are good quality. Here's the link to that seller: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5130820

I also bought washable chux pads (which are great too with a cosleeping CD baby!!!) so I do not have to worry tooooo much about if my pad leaks in the first few days.

Hope this can help someone!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:52 AM

dawncayden, Congratulations! Sounds like a wonderful birth! I'm glad you are both doing well.

-Kate

--Kate, home/unschooling mom two three girls (6, 3, and Tiny)
Old 04-15-2009, 05:07 PM
acp

Just wanted to update with my birth story - it was a successful home birth (my second natural birth, first one at home) and there were a few reasons I ended up being really glad I did it this way.

The main one is that I developed a very slow leak in my waters a couple days before my due date, and labor didn't start. Even at my old (hospital) midwife practice, which was pretty laid back, I know they would have had me come in for an induction after 24 hours. My home birth midwives were fine with waiting - just checked every day to make sure baby was still good, had me take it easy, stay home, etc.
Three days after the leak started, I finally went into labor. It initially didn't progress fast at all (2 cm when mw arrived, still 2 cm over 2 hours of VERy painful contractions later), but then they suggested leaving me and DH alone and having him help with nipple stimulation - immediately the contractions got longer and more intense, and in about an hour and a half I had gone from 2 to 9 cm, and was pretty much ready to start pushing.
I pushed in a variety of positions (I labored in my big tub, but we hadn't gotten a birthing tub), and DS was making progress, though somewhat slowly. My water finally broke for real near the end of pushing, and there was meconium in it. My midwives instantly switched into a more intense gear, and told DH he wouldn't be doing the catching - they were totally calm and not nervous about things at all, but I could tell they wanted the baby out, and they helped me find an even more effective position.
A few minutes after that his heart tones were going down a bit, and it was clear the cord was wrapped around his neck and pinched - which is almost certainly what caused the mec. I was getting his head out at that point, but his shoulder was stuck, and my midwife reached up and dislodged it easily. He was totally healthy, and had apgar scores of 8 and 9.
Despite his size - 9 lbs 10 oz - and huge head (over 38 cm!), and the fact that my midwife had to reach in to free the shoulder, I didn't tear at all.

Honestly, I think if I'd been at a more traditional practice at a hospital, they would have induced me with pitocin and then AROM soon after I developed the leak, and that might very well have aggravated the situation with the cord around his neck and led to more interventions and likely a c-section. Despite the few tense minutes, I always felt like my midwives were perfectly in control, and they were SO competent, and worked with me to get him out in the way we needed to.

Plus, it was just really nice to finish and be in my own bed, in my own room, able to snuggle my son between DH and me, rather than being in a strange hospital room with lots of disruptions.
Like last time, it was a hard, painful birth that pushed me at times to the limits of what I could bear, but I woudln't do it differently for any reason, and am so glad he was able to come into the world the way I wanted him to.

A great first homebirth experience...
Old 04-15-2009, 05:09 PM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
Yeah an uncomplicated vaginal birth with a less than 24-hour stay and NO medical interventions is around 10K here. I would be covered 100% though except for $15 copay for each office visit and the $200 deductible for the year that I already used for something else anyway. Instead my HB is around 4K and I will get covered at either 60% or 80% (if I can convince for an in-network exception, which I'll try for). I'm okay with it (obviously). Its worth it to me. I'm actually feeling fairly lucky that in CA they have to at least cover it at all!
This is virtually the same for me, except that I'm still not sure if my insurance will even cover it at all (they claim they don't cover home births... I'm hoping my mw can get around it. At the least they need to cover prenatal and postpartum). Makes me so mad that I'm saving them SO much money, and yet it will be significantly more expensive for me in the end.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:05 PM

We have private insurance so no maternity coverage, all of my births have been out of pocket. DD1 was a hospital birth, the rest have been home births. The hospital fee in my area is either 8 or 9K, I can't remember which now. The MW, testing, everything is separate. This birth is an complete bargain for us. I'm not doing prenatals, just paying 2K for the MW to attend the birth if I want her to. That would include Rhogam if I want it, and several after appointments as well.

And ACP, great birth story! CONGRATS!! :

Old 04-15-2009, 09:31 PM

ACP, thank you for sharing your birth story

Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 PM

awesome birth story acp. Thank you for sharing

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 04-16-2009, 03:18 AM

Oh, I know its getting awfully late as April is halfway over and our births are all planned or have already happened... but I just borrowed "welcome with love" from our MW to read to my 4yo son and HE LOVES IT. Absolutely identified with the main character (its told from the POV of the older brother). He's been quoting from the book, it just seems to have really clicked for him. So... we decided to order it for him-- even though it might not get here before baby (who knows), but figuring he may want to read it afterwards as well, and share it with his sibling, etc. Apparently its out of print? We got a copy used on Amazon, anyway, a little pricey but such a lovely story, beautiful artwork, and just seems very child-focused. Accurate but still gentle. Maybe all you enlightened MDC mommas already knew this book but I'd only heard of it- never actually seen it.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:20 AM

I love Welcome With Love! It wasn't out of print with my last birth so I got it then, I was sad to hear that it is no longer made.

User Tag List