April HBers - Check in here! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my second baby, second homebirth. I'm really excited about this one, as I was single and struggling against the biodad with my first pregnancy. Was living with friends and didn't have room for a tub which I know would have eased my 30 hour labor as I am instinctively drawn to water. This time, I have my dear hubby by my side, we own a home and I can fill it with as much water as I want!

All things considered, dd#1's birth was wonderful and I'd do it all over again, but am expecting to feel a little more in control of my life and emotions during this one. My first midwife was great - couldn't have done it without her considering the whole situation. I have moved since and have a different midwife, and she is wonderful as well.

I haven't bought any supplies yet. I have 3 more months to get that together and we are still trying to reorganize our tiny 865 square foot home to make room for one more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latenightanarchy View Post
I try not to plan anything I have no control of but my last baby was a 3 hour labor in a hospital with a midwife (who didn't show up on time because the staff told everyone I was not in labor). I figured if I did it alone then I could do it at home no prob!
I did hypnobirthing with my 2nd after a traumatic and horrible 1st birth experience and this will be my 2nd hypnobirthing baby.
It's great to hear there's another person using hypnobirthing. I did hypnosis (not really hypnobirthing) during my induction last time and b/c I was so serene they kept turning up the pitocin :. It was as though they were purposely trying to break me like a prisoner of war. I'm soooo relieved to be protected from that twisted environment this time (mws will be there for me even if we transport).
Old 01-12-2009, 03:54 PM

Just lurking here as we are not HBing. I'm wishing we were but DH is not at all comfortable with it and I have to respect that... we do have a great birth support team to have another natural non medicated non intervention hospital birth. So I'm living my wish through all of your posts!

Thought I better add this part to explain our plans: We had a Great non intervention, non medicated natural birth with DD at the hospital and loved it! But we are in a different area this time, the midwives are a little more on the medical side and they don't do water births, but aside from that they have assured me I can have the birth I want...we are armed with a great group of midwives, a wonderful doula, a descriptive but readable birth plan and the knowledge of what we had last time. A home birth would have allowed for the water birth but DH has to be comfortable too, and I know with the grace of God it will be a wonderful birth!
Old 01-12-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
Just lurking here as we are not HBing. I'm wishing we were but DH is not at all comfortable with it and I have to respect that... we do have a great birth support team to have another natural non medicated non intervention hospital birth. So I'm living my wish through all of your posts!
I am reading "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" and just got through one of the birth stories about a hospital birth she attended back in the '70's. They referred to it as a Homebirth because, with proper support from the MW and nurse, they were still able to have the normal childbirth - intervention free - that the woman had wanted. I hope you get the sameagain.

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

Old 01-12-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridaxsky View Post
I am reading "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" and just got through one of the birth stories about a hospital birth she attended back in the '70's. They referred to it as a Homebirth because, with proper support from the MW and nurse, they were still able to have the normal childbirth - intervention free - that the woman had wanted. I hope you get the sameagain.
THank you! I needed to hear that...I know that it doesn't matter what others think but it's so hard for me when I do EVERYTHING else on the natural side and to have to say to "traditional moms" I'm having a hospital birth, they just automatically assume I'm doing it the way the norm is, drugs, OB, nurses, monitering...I always want to inform them we are just at the hospital to be safe for DH sake and we are not doing any intervention, drugs etc...but it just isn't worth saying. So I guess I can start calling it a hospital home birth.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:39 PM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridaxsky View Post
We had DD at the hospital, and it was probably as close to a home birth as it's possible to get there. Had a GREAT midwife, who put no pressures on me for interventions of any sort, despite a long labor (and water breaking well before labor), posterior position, etc. I labored a ton in the tub, walked around everywhere (including outside the hospital, where I'm sure some people were surprised to see a woman so obviously in labor walking around!), had a lot of time with no one in the room with me except DH, etc. Didn't get an IV, never had anyone offer me an epidural, had no problems declining the procedures after DD was born that we didn't want, no problems about rooming-in, lots of support for BFing, etc.

I know that's not the way hospital births always (or usually) happen - just wanted to let you know that it is indeed possible! The most important factor, I think, is having a midwife or other support (doula, for instance) that you love and who is in synch with your desires. Beyond that, being informed yourself and knowing what you want helps a lot (and having DH ready to advocate for you and back you up too). Obviously, it's impossible to have total control over what happens, and sometimes interventions are needed- but it's nice to have the information to try to avoid getting pressured into the unnecessary ones.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:09 PM

Being a homebirth midwife, yep... I'm planning a homebirth.

As far as preparing, I'm doing what I can to try and get out of my head and de-midwife myself for my own pregnancy and birth. I want to be able to be "just mom" birthing, and not overly-midwife myself.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp View Post

I know that's not the way hospital births always (or usually) happen - just wanted to let you know that it is indeed possible! The most important factor, I think, is having a midwife or other support (doula, for instance) that you love and who is in synch with your desires. Beyond that, being informed yourself and knowing what you want helps a lot (and having DH ready to advocate for you and back you up too). Obviously, it's impossible to have total control over what happens, and sometimes interventions are needed- but it's nice to have the information to try to avoid getting pressured into the unnecessary ones.
We had a Great non intervention, non medicated natural birth with DD at the hospital and loved it! But we are in a different area this time, the midwives are a little more on the medical side and they don't do water births, but aside from that they have assured me I can have the birth I want...we are armed with a great group of midwives, a wonderful doula, a descriptive but readable birth plan and the knowledge of what we had last time. A home birth would have allowed for the water birth but I know with the grace of God it will be a wonderful birth!

Now I don't want to say too much about hosptial births so the HBers don't kick me out!!! LOL!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catemom View Post
b/c I was so serene they kept turning up the pitocin :. It was as though they were purposely trying to break me like a prisoner of war. I'm soooo relieved to be protected from that twisted environment this time (mws will be there for me even if we transport).
Seriously, what is wrong with these people? They did the same to me with my first. The lady kept saying "oh you'll need that epidural, better just get it now" as she kept coming in every 15 min and turning it up. Finally I was in such horrid pain I was crying and dh was just like get it please before you go insane... How sad. They want moms on drugs so their job is easier (mom confined to bed, can watch monitors from nursing station, don't have to actually stay with patient to guage progress - the machines do it all for them they think.)

I'm with you, thank goodness I can relax and just let my body work (I did have hosp birth last time but lol, nurses so busy they paid no attn to me - I was not "progressing" -yeah rite, I don't have to be screaming my head off for drugs to not be progressing.) fooled them. And I was better off for it.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
hey good for you, it's totally possible!!! Good nurses and laid back docs are hard to find but if you can get one then you're golden! I did hypnobirthing as you can see all over this forum, I am a huge pusher! lol, how ironic... pusher.... very funny. Anyway, I really found it helpful to relax and let my body work. I really encourage other moms to try it to get their goals of natural childbirth.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latenightanarchy View Post
hey good for you, it's totally possible!!! Good nurses and laid back docs are hard to find but if you can get one then you're golden! I did hypnobirthing as you can see all over this forum, I am a huge pusher! lol, how ironic... pusher.... very funny. Anyway, I really found it helpful to relax and let my body work. I really encourage other moms to try it to get their goals of natural childbirth.
Thanks...we had a wonderful "hospital homebirth" with DD and I hope to recreate that even though it is a different hospital with different midwives. Our midwives assure me that I can have the birth I want and we have a great Doula, and took bradly classes last time around! A natural/non intervention childbirth is definatly the goal no matter where it happens...
Old 01-12-2009, 08:27 PM

Hi! Nice to see so many homebirthers.

We are planning our third homebirth- could be April or maybe March.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:32 PM

Another HBer here! This will be our first HB & hopefully 2nd water birth. We haven't done much to prep except make arrangements for the tub. I need to sort clothes, buy new clothes, & get the apartment together. Really excited though!

Gina ~
mommy to E & K and #3 due 7/2011homebirth.jpg
Old 01-13-2009, 04:49 PM

1st hb 5th baby :

We're thinking about a waterbirth but live in an old house so not sure if the floor can hold a birthpool. We really haven't started to get ready at all. I even forgot to ask the mw last visit about supplies well I suppose it'll all work out in the end

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 01-13-2009, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
We're planning a homebirth! Ds2 was a home water birth and it was incredible. I'm not doing anything at this point. I'll probably order a new pool in a few weeks (the other one got slashed). I've still got some supplies from my last hb so I don't have much to get.

Just cruising along right now. This pregnancy is just so simple (other than the awful m/s I had through to 20wks)... been there done that. ho hum.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:53 PM

2nd baby, planning 2nd hb...

All I really feel like I need to do soon is order the birth kit so we have all that good stuff on hand. I'd also like to buy another inflatable bath pillow for my back so I can really relax in the bathtub during labor. And maybe some candles, although last time I had a special candle I was going to light and I never even thought of it during labor.

When we get to like 35 weeks or so, closer to birth, I'll start doing other stuff, like
- washing receiving blankets and 1st outfits, big towels, washcloths for massage, and dark cheap sheets and drying them all twice in the dryer and packing them in paper bags.
- corralling trash bags, a small crockpot, unopened olive oil, etc, into one place so my DH or the assistant MW can find them easily.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Second baby, second homebirth here, too.

With 12 weeks left, I figured it's time to start "training" for this birth! I was working out when pregnant last as it was part of my pre-child lifestyle. Um, yeah, not so much, now. So, I need to get in shape for this!

I've been building the baby's diaper stash and knitting for him. Now, I need to dip into my knitting time for my Bradley refresher. Just reading the book. I also was given a book New Active Birth which looks pretty good and will be reading that.

I've been trying to prepare dd who will be present for as much as she wants to experience. We've been looking at pictures of her birth (no crowning shots, so, I've had to rely on birthing books for that) and talking about it (so much so that she has announced to people outside of the family on 3 occasions that the baby will "come out Mommy's 'gina!") and getting a feel for what she'd like to do. Besides recommence nursing herself, she'd like to cut the cord. She'll be 3.5 when the baby is due.

We're supposed to be moving and have moved much of our belongings, including our bed, to our new home. So, if that is not a full go by March 1, I'm headed to Ikea to get everything I need to make the space workable again. And I'd like to rent a tub this time since having my dh and cousin take turns pouring water over my belly wasn't really doing the trick for taking the edge off of my posterior labor with dd.

When my midwives give me the list of supplies again, I'll get whatever is on there. And that'll pretty much be it! Except for finding a great list of affirmations I'd found last time. Hope it's still in my favorites on my home computer.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
Old 01-14-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post
I've been trying to prepare dd who will be present for as much as she wants to experience. We've been looking at pictures of her birth (no crowning shots, so, I've had to rely on birthing books for that) and talking about it (so much so that she has announced to people outside of the family on 3 occasions that the baby will "come out Mommy's 'gina!") and getting a feel for what she'd like to do. Besides recommence nursing herself, she'd like to cut the cord. She'll be 3.5 when the baby is due.
Funny, I've also been talking about it with my son (who will be 4 1/2) and recently he gave me a very detailed description of the whole process- (that my cervix and vagina will have to stretch open to fit the baby's head, etc) including delivery of the placenta- "a sort of slobby thing that comes out afterwards", and I was thinking that he may know more specifics about birth than many adults!

dissertating mom to three

Old 01-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
Funny, I've also been talking about it with my son (who will be 4 1/2) and recently he gave me a very detailed description of the whole process- (that my cervix and vagina will have to stretch open to fit the baby's head, etc) including delivery of the placenta- "a sort of slobby thing that comes out afterwards", and I was thinking that he may know more specifics about birth than many adults!
It's hard for them to deny that they've heard other things we've said when they can give such detail about these sorts of things, huh?

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
Old 01-15-2009, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post
It's hard for them to deny that they've heard other things we've said when they can give such detail about these sorts of things, huh?
Ah yes- but selective hearing and even more selective memory seem to be a well-honed skill by the time kids are 4... and yeah, any talk of vaginas or whatnot is extremely memorable...

Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 PM

Wow that is great to see there are so many others planning homebirths. This will be my 2nd. I can't say I've done any planning but I didn't last time either. I'm sure there will be a few things I will want to plan for but as long as my sister and midwife are there I'm good (oh yeah and hubby too ).

Michelle : wife to wonderful hubby mama to Jude (10/03) Annika (4/06)
Zane (3/09): : : :
Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 PM

2nd homebirth/waterbirth for us.

We need to buy the pool still. We had borrowed a friends fishy pool last time but we are going all out and buying a cushy one specifically for waterbirth.

We need a couple more supplies as well. I luckly found our rubber sheet for the bed so I don't need to get shower curtains for that purpose.

It's very different planning your second home/waterbirth because we did so much research last time around. Each midwife visit is so incredibly boring because we don't have a zillion questions like we did last time around

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 01-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
2nd homebirth/waterbirth for us.

We need to buy the pool still. We had borrowed a friends fishy pool last time but we are going all out and buying a cushy one specifically for waterbirth.

We need a couple more supplies as well. I luckly found our rubber sheet for the bed so I don't need to get shower curtains for that purpose.

It's very different planning your second home/waterbirth because we did so much research last time around. Each midwife visit is so incredibly boring because we don't have a zillion questions like we did last time around
Exactly! Ds1 was a hospital birth with my regular dr. But last time around (home water birth) with ds2 I soaked up every minute of my appointments with the midwives because there were so many questions and so much to learn. My appts now, too, are now so boring and usually end quite a bit short of the alloted time.... except for my appts with one midwife in particular at which we yap constantly but about nothing baby-related . lol.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Everytime I see how long this thread is getting, I feel so :.

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

Old 01-17-2009, 02:16 AM

ok you all- are any of you planning to have some food ready for your mw's to munch on? and if so, what? im going to go search the hb forum too, but thought id ask here as well.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
Old 01-17-2009, 04:14 AM

We got a whole handout on birth supplies when we first hired our midwife. Very specific, no mysteries. They make a home visit for week 36 and want to have all this on hand at that time, so I wasn't going to worry about it yet anyway.

On it she just says to have "your refrigerator well stocked with plenty of nutritious food" starting at week 36 (I mean, I aspire to have that be the case anyway, so its not like a big shift for us). I don't think they expect us to cook for them or anything and I surely don't plan to. If I have a long enough labor I'll probably cook at the beginning anyway, since I find that a very relaxing and enjoyable activity, so depending on the timing of it all we might have some nice hot soup and muffins or something, but I'm not counting on it!

I figure we'll have plenty of fruit, veggies, breads/cracker, eggs, cheese, nuts, milk and juice, box cereal, stuff like that... easy to make foods I'd want around for post-partum anyway (or, frankly, for my hectic life as a student mom...)

I'd assume that any MW with a really restrictive diet will bring her own food anyway- people like that usually do.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky leeuhhh View Post
ok you all- are any of you planning to have some food ready for your mw's to munch on? and if so, what? im going to go search the hb forum too, but thought id ask here as well.
I am but have no idea what exactly. I'd love to hear what others are planning on having around the house!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Old 01-17-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
As a midwife, the stuff I like best is bottled water, and easy to grab finger foods...not a sit down meal. Fruit, veggie tray, cheese and crackers, nuts, granola bars, muffins, yogurt.... anything quick and easy that I can grab and snack on between your contractions.

For my own births, I also make sure to get some really good OJ for after the birth. To me, I still remember how amazing that first glass of OJ is after birthing a baby. Ahhhh..... pure bliss.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:55 PM

Hi, this will be my 3rd birth--2nd unmedicated, 1st at home.

Thinking I might start feeling the need to get ready SOMEtime soon My midwife gave me the list at my last appointment.

I'm still not sure what to do about a birth pool. The MW's will bring one, and charge us and extra $100. But we already have a hottub (a smallish, 4 person one, a free gift from an old employer) that would surely be more comfortable to labor in, with it's seats and jets and all. But I don't know if it'd be safe with all the chemicals you have to keep in it.

I don't "need" to have a waterbirth--I haven't even read up on it enough to have a strong desire to do it or anything--but I definitely want to be in deep water for the laboring part. And I know last time I was really annoyed to have to get up and move because the hospital wouldn't let me birth in the tub. I remember wanting to just sort of lift up or something, but they made me get out and move in to the bed. I guess lifting up wouldn't really work so well anyway!

I don't understand how you get enough warm water in a birth pool that quickly though. It takes forever to get our hottub filled up, and getting the water warm enough involves boiling pot after pot of water and dumping it in. For hours. My labors are not that long. At least, they haven't been. I know each is different, but I can't count on having all day to get a birth pool set up. I'm gonna want to get in water right away, you know?

I'm a little concerned about the timing also because my mw's are almost 2 hours away. I saw someone said her mw is going to leave her emergency kit just in case--I wonder if mine will because I feel like there's a good chance they could miss it. (Though they say they've been delivering babies here for 20 years and only missed twice, and that because the moms just didn't call.)

Still considering hiring a doula, but the one here is $600! Is that normal? Probably, and all that she does, it is definitely worth it. I just can't really afford it ya know? But at least she lives in town and could get here right away.

I also really need to get on to practicing relaxation/hypnobirthing. I wish, wish, wish I could take a refresher course, but no one around here offers it.

In short, I am lazy and procrastinating everything. But excited nonetheless. Maybe I'm trying not to get all busy doing it because I don't want to get all ready and then . . . Oh wait, still 3 more months!

Anyway, thanks for reminding me of all the things I need to do.

Oh, and my mw did put "a coke for your midwife" on the birth kit list. We never have soda, but I'll probably find out what they like ("coke" here seems to be a generic term for soda of any sort) and keep a few on hand. I'd like to have some munchies available for everyone involved.

--Kate, home/unschooling mom two three girls (6, 3, and Tiny)
Old 01-17-2009, 03:06 PM

simplymother, I wonder if you could get a birthpool liner to go inside the hot tub for clean water sake? I'm not sure if you'd want the jets on?
With ds's waterbirth I was in the shower for over an hour while they (doula and dh) got the pool ready, and yes it took lots of boiling big pots of water throughout my labour.
$600 for a doula is average, I've heard more and I've heard less depending on experience and different training.

I never even thought to have food for the midwives last labour well at least they were only there for 5 hours or so, so not too long.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

User Tag List