April HBers - Check in here! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So what birth kits are y'all planning on getting? Last time I got the nice deluxe kit from Baby Birth and Beyond, but I still have the mattress bag from last time, and can't think of any reason not to reuse it, so I think I'll get the basic kit instead.

Last birth I bought a bunch of the dirt cheap towels at Walmart, in navy blue. I'll just reuse those. I also bought the cheapest navy sheets I could find, for on the bed after birth, so I didn't worry about any staining issues on my nice sheets.

My DH made food while I was in labor last time... scrambled eggs and toast, french toast, and I think smoothies. I remember sitting in the living room chatting with the midwife and us all eating french toast. Of course, with a 25 hour labor, there was plenty of time for making and eating food. When our families showed up to see baby, they brought food too.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
OMG I am glad I am not the only person who has ever had this experience. I always thought I was just some sort of disgusting person. (and, I am laughing so hard I am crying....)

oh good. if you aren't the only one, it means i'm not the only one either. whew! lol.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:29 AM

Hmmm, last birth I didn't get a 'kit', I just bought the individual things I needed.

I bought:
really thick maxi's
flexable straws
15 blue underpads
peri bottle
rubber bed sheet (actually this was given to me)

I think I spent around $15 for everything, and I just followed to list the MW's gave me...so I don't think you actually need a kit if you don't need everything in it.

This time I need to buy:
10-15 blue underpads
peri bottle
I'm going to buy some Depends this time
A few shower curtains for around the house (because we have carpet this time)

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 01-23-2009, 12:24 PM

So, what is everyone doing at this point to get ready?

I haven't read the replies yet but I wanted to reply and sub.

This is our 3rd child, 2nd HB with the same midwife (and her new partner). I'm still feeling the nesting urges just as strong this time, though!

Last night I made a birth plan to give to all of our support team (my sister and a friend will be here to help with our two kids) and I also made a hospital transfer plan (mostly copied from one posted on MDC!)

I bought a new diaper bag and am packing it for in case of hospital transfer and leaving it in the car.

I need to start assembling my birth kit or buy a new kit from the midwives, and leave that in my room. I've started washing, folding and putting away baby clothes and diapers already

And of course we've been talking to the boys and preparing them for the baby's arrival. They are going to stay here since we have extra people to take care of them, and the older one at least wants to be present for the birth, so we're working out a plan for that. Everyone is very, very excited!
Old 01-23-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjefita View Post
[B]

I bought a new diaper bag and am packing it for in case of hospital transfer and leaving it in the car.

You ladies think of everything!!!

Im reading a book about maternity in the US and so my only instruction to dh and mw if transferred is NO CYTOTEC. Holy cow, that stuff is awful! Otherwise, I DID make a rough list the other day and Im going to wait til week 28 to really get to work. (In about a week and a half)

wife. dd1 : dd2
Old 01-23-2009, 02:46 PM

Did I already ask this? How many of you use cloth pads for yourselfs? I honestly cant remember how much I bled, but will an "long, overnight" style cloth pad do the trick? I have several.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Last night I made a birth plan to give to all of our support team (my sister and a friend will be here to help with our two kids) and I also made a hospital transfer plan (mostly copied from one posted on MDC!)

Smart! I should do that... I hadn't even thought about hospital transfer. Although you'd think I'd be all prepared for that with my being worried about PTL... guess I'm just an optimist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
Did I already ask this? How many of you use cloth pads for yourselfs? I honestly cant remember how much I bled, but will an "long, overnight" style cloth pad do the trick? I have several.
I haven't had a period since I learned that cloth pads existed. I plan to buy some, though, and the same ones that were recommended for over night were recommended for post partum, so I would think those would work for you. And if not, someone suggested prefolds for the first couple of heavy days.

Bri: mom to K: and M: at 27 weeks and 33 weeks :
Old 01-23-2009, 07:06 PM

It didn't even occur to me last time to pack a hospital bag, oops. Good thing I didn't need to transfer
I don't think I want to pack one this time either though, I think I just want to have it in my head that everything will go smooth and I'll stay home.
Plus if I DO require a transfer I trust dh or my mom to bring a toothbrush and change of clothes for me.

I love my Lunapads and even worked for them briefly a few months ago, but I refuse to use cloth for afterbirth blood for the first couple of days. I only own the regular sized pads anyway and can't afford the expense of buying over night pads.
I like to get the thick disposable pads, add some water and put in freezer for a wonderful feeling after the birth

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

Old 01-23-2009, 09:08 PM

I just remember with my first that it didn't take long before I was so sick of the gross super thick pads we had and ran out for the ultra thin night time ones. It was worth it to change them more often. Also, they were scented. EW! I thought a lot of it was just post labor smell, but when I had my first period a year or so later I realized that a lot of the smell I remember was actually those pads. I had to throw them all away immediately. Funny, huh? Don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but I liked using pads that had been soaked in water and witch hazel after the fact to help with healing. They're frigid but felt great.

And wow, I haven't planned a thing yet you guys! At least I'm due late in April. Now my brain is going....

Quote:
Old 01-23-2009, 09:22 PM

has anyone here had a previous homebirth with a baby who was posterior? dd1 was, and so far this little booger is too most of the time. i can tell because im getting so many jabs straight out front. i had dd1 in the hospital. i didnt get my epidural until i was at 10 cm, and i did fine with the labor, so im not as worried about that part of the birth. its the pushing im worried about. i could not feel myself pushing at all (which was super frusterating)- so i dont know what that part of it was like. i just remember the ob telling me that he had given me an episiotomy because i was starting to tear ( thanks for asking doc!). has anyone done it at home and made it through? i have a feeling that no matter what the pain, as long as i know im at least close to giving birth i will deal. but i would like to at least be a bit prepared. thanks!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
Old 01-23-2009, 10:58 PM

Ds went from anterior to posterior at 38 weeks and at 40 weeks I went into labour. It was a 9 hour labour with tons of back pain. He ended up turning back to posterior about an hour before he was born just like the MW's told me. They got me to have a contraction while standing with one foot on a stool and he turned posterior in about 3 seconds, it was pretty crazy!
So no, I didn't push him out posterior but I defiantly had a posterior labour.

This baby is mostly posterior but I'm not worried. THey can turn at the very last second.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

Old 01-24-2009, 12:07 AM

I had back labor with my son and we were pretty sure he was posterior, but if so he turned at the end of labor. I spent a lot of the end of my labor on hands and knees to get him in a better position. (I spent most of the beginning of my labor walking around and in the shower). I gave birth with a midwife at a birth center that time, no mention of epidural or anything. I've never heard anything about it being a problem to deliver posterior though, like, not a reason for a transfer (it was a hospital-based birth center and they are pretty quick to transfer too).

My second stage ("pushing") was very fast, 20 minutes total. I tore (no episiotomy) and had to have stitches afterwards. I am actually hoping its not quite so fast next time, it was a little overwhelming, and I literally felt "stuck" in the hands-and-knees position- he was coming out so fast I felt that I couldn't really move.

My son had bruising all over his face which the midwife thought was due to the posterior labor (face hitting my pelvis). The bruising might have lead to him having pretty bad jaundice, so that was really the only negative of it all (other than the back pain during labor).

All of this would have been handled just the same at home as far as I can tell.

dissertating mom to three

Old 01-24-2009, 12:34 AM

My daughter spend 90% of her time posterior from about 30 weeks until the day before she was born. I tried everything to turn her, spent way to much time being stressed about her position (thanks to an overzealous midwife who kept harping about optimal fetal positioning).

The morning before she was born I woke up and she was anterior. And stayed that way until the birth. This time I refuse to worry about position, since I was the biggest source of unwarranted stress last time

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 01-24-2009, 12:36 AM

thanks for the stories. i forgot that they can turn at the last second so that is a bit reassuring. either way, i know ill make it through. i think my fears of doing this without meds are starting to emerge. actually, im not *that afraid if giving birth- its just the unknown. right now i have this weird mix of anxiousness, excitement, and fear regarding this birth. its so weird! my last birth was not thought out. it was just the way my baby got here and i just wanted it over with asap. now that i am more focused on the birth and making the most of it, everything is totally different!

Old 01-24-2009, 11:43 PM

I may just do that, Dawn... thanks! I was looking at the kit, kind of thinking, OK, why do I need another one of those silly blue and pink hats?!

Quote:
Im reading a book about maternity in the US and so my only instruction to dh and mw if transferred is NO CYTOTEC. Holy cow, that stuff is awful! Otherwise, I DID make a rough list the other day and Im going to wait til week 28 to really get to work. (In about a week and a half)
What book are you reading? I'd be curious to read up on Cytotec. After my last birth I bled...and kept bleeding...and kept bleeding... not a lot, from what I understand, just not stopping like it should've. I ended up with several shots of Pitocin and a few doses of Cytotec, if I remember accurately. This next time I'd prefer trying some placenta, but since part of the bleeding was before the placenta came I don't know that that will be all I end up needing.

One thought I had was that if you ARE transferred, it may be for a PP hemorrhage, in which case (at least for me) I would figure it was emergency level enough to have them use everything and anything. A friend of mine had a very severe PP hemorrhage, which was life threatening even after transfer, because they still couldn't stop it for quite a while.

But anyway...I'm interested in learning more about it. I know it isn't designed for pregnant women, and that it shouldn't be used for inductions, but not much more.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

Old 01-25-2009, 02:34 AM

Marsden Wagner's book talks a lot about cytotec
It's a great read- if not completely disturbing at times.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2sol View Post
Marsden Wagner's book talks a lot about cytotec
It's a great read- if not completely disturbing at times.
Yes! Thats the book!! Born in the USA. It is completely disturbing and I kept stopping my dh playing video games to read him stuff from it. After the first chapter I made DH swear he would ask about the drugs and listen for the word Cytotec very carefully if I was transferred. It really seemed like most of the problems with that drug are the misuse of it but I dont care either way, it seems horrible!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 04:58 AM
acp

My previous birth wasn't a home birth, but it was an all natural birth with a posterior baby - it could easily have taken place at home without complications (though it was definitely a lot longer and more painful than I was expecting - I'm hoping for a non-posterior baby this time around...).
I don't think there's a reason for posterior labor/birth to be more complicated at home than in the hospital.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnatty View Post
What book are you reading? I'd be curious to read up on Cytotec. After my last birth I bled...and kept bleeding...and kept bleeding... not a lot, from what I understand, just not stopping like it should've. I ended up with several shots of Pitocin and a few doses of Cytotec, if I remember accurately. This next time I'd prefer trying some placenta, but since part of the bleeding was before the placenta came I don't know that that will be all I end up needing.

One thought I had was that if you ARE transferred, it may be for a PP hemorrhage, in which case (at least for me) I would figure it was emergency level enough to have them use everything and anything. A friend of mine had a very severe PP hemorrhage, which was life threatening even after transfer, because they still couldn't stop it for quite a while.

But anyway...I'm interested in learning more about it. I know it isn't designed for pregnant women, and that it shouldn't be used for inductions, but not much more.
Cytotec (also known as misoprostil, if you're watching for other names) should not be used for inductions or during labour, but it's risk of hyperstimulation of the uterus is exactly why it can be a very good drug for postpartum hemorrhage. It's not as fast acting as injected meds, but can be a great second line of defense with a hemorrhage. I don't think there is any research showing risks or harm of use postpartum. In fact there has been some research recommending it's use in remote areas and third world countries because of it's effectiveness against hemorrhage, long shelf life and low-tech (no needles) use.

I know there is a lot of anti-cytotec information in the literature, it can be useful in certain situations. I saw Ina May Gaskin speak about cytotec, and she basically said the same thing. I know the hospital here doesn't use it for induction, but I have seen it used postpartum sometimes (I worked in L&D here for five years).

As for birth plans, maybe you could say "If induction/augmentation necessary, do not use cytotec".

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 01-26-2009, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky leeuhhh View Post
has anyone here had a previous homebirth with a baby who was posterior? dd1 was, and so far this little booger is too most of the time. i can tell because im getting so many jabs straight out front. i had dd1 in the hospital. i didnt get my epidural until i was at 10 cm, and i did fine with the labor, so im not as worried about that part of the birth. its the pushing im worried about. i could not feel myself pushing at all (which was super frusterating)- so i dont know what that part of it was like. i just remember the ob telling me that he had given me an episiotomy because i was starting to tear ( thanks for asking doc!). has anyone done it at home and made it through? i have a feeling that no matter what the pain, as long as i know im at least close to giving birth i will deal. but i would like to at least be a bit prepared. thanks!
I did and lived to tell about it! She was our first (and only so far - this baby is #2). I had a lot of failure to progress because of her position and spontaneous pushing (before getting fully to 10cm). So, my cervix swole up. My midwife successfully iced it down (saving me from a hospital transfer). Once the baby was crowning, I remember them saying, "we see eyebrows!" I was like, surely that is not it. For what I'm feeling, you better be seeing full body in a nanosecond! I did have a 5.5 hour pushing phase, horrible back labor, labored in every position imaginable, tore and everything and she just didn't turn until after her head was out.

Then she shrugged her shoulders and had double shoulder dystocia.

And she was 9lbs.

Anyway, all was well except for the tear I was too swollen for the midwives to see that, therefore, did not get stitched, and started to come open 4 days later. Can you say, "ouch!"

So, that is why with this pregnancy, I'm doing all of my back exercises (I worked out regularly at the gym during her pregnancy) and was seeing the chiro 2x weekly, but have graduated to 1x weekly. Hopefully, I'm not one of the few women whose pelvis will just hold (and birth) a baby in this position.

If I am, I know I can get through it.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
Old 01-26-2009, 06:54 PM

Two of my three babies have come out the wrong way, and I'm a tiny person with small hips (who wore size 1 jeans in high school).

My first was a forcept delivery, and he ended up coming out sideways, not up or down. But my labor was still amazingly fast at less than four hours from my water breaking at home to complete delivery.

My third baby, who was an all natural hospital birth, came out elbow first. She was a six hour delivery, three hours at home and three hours at the hospital.

Did I have back labor or was it more painful? I don't know, my labors feel like I'm being torn in two...maybe it's because all of my babies come so fast down the shoot, even turned all different ways...who knows.

But I'm not too worried about the position of this next baby, because I obviously have enough pelvic space to deliver them in what ever position they choose to come out with.

Oh, plus my babies are in the 6lbs range, so that probably makes a difference too. Good luck to everyone out there!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I just talked to my friend last week who filled me in on her birth that was supposed to be a home birth. After 24 hours of active labour she pushed for three hours before being transferred to the hospital. She said she found that labour didn't really hurt that much!! THEN she had to not push for two more whole hours while the epidural guy finsihed a surgery so she could have an epidural in preparation for forceps. Then she had to wait another hour for the OB to do an emergency c-section. Sheesh. Talk about natural home birth gone bad - she has a great attitude about it, though. I couldn't imagine not pushing - that urge is beyond controllable in my books. With ds2 my water broke and I did four pushes and he was out while my m/w was telling me not to push because the other m/w hadn't arrived yet... there was no stopping me!

Anywho, I'm just thinking that I maybe shouldn't have written that horror story. It turned out great, though

we read 'Welcome wiht Love' for the first time last night. The boys were so inquisitive. Ds2 got it out again as soon as he woke up this morning and sat on the floor looking at the picutres. He told me that he doesn't want me to scream because it will scare him - I'm a real serious birth screamer, so I'm not sure what he'll think. I think I want at least ds1 to be there if he's up for it. Knowing that this will be our last, it makes it that much more important. I think it would something very special for him to share with his new brother.

Otherwise, status quo.... ho-humming along at 28 weeks.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:11 AM

Well sometimes it happens, to be honest. I know of one other homebirther, who was really dedicated to the idea, very well-read and young and healthy, who also had a 24+ hour labour that ended in hours of pushing in the hospital and then a c-section. So did second attempt (at a v-bac). It DOES happen, sadly. While it's true we'll never know if "natural" birth was just around the corner, or if the midwife would have tried one more trick not in any of her books, or if it was surpressed thoughts, or whatever, at that point, there was a big risk of damage.

What makes me SO HAPPY, though, was that she did have her kids after trial of labour, she did have them totally safely (because the midwife was monitoring her gently and knew when to transfer), and she always knew that she had done absolutely everything to have her children as naturally as possible. She can at least feel really satisfied that the medical help she received was help, and not just someone trying to get off their shift.

There is no use denying that even in the best of cases, some women, very few, need a lot more help than can be provided at home. That is just denial and it's not helpful. What is helpful is to know that you can still have a homebirth and know that you are not risking your life or your baby's life or health in doing it.

So I think these are actually positive stories.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 01-27-2009, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreen View Post
I'm a real serious birth screamer, so I'm not sure what he'll think.
Me too! My labors are so fast, and so terrible, that I just seriously loose it. With this homebirth, my mom is in charge of the three kiddos, and since she only lives three blocks from here, can take them to her house if the need arises. I'm afraid my kids will be scared, seeing mommy crying and screaming...so if it gets crazy, I'm glad to know that I can be myself during labor and not scare my kids either.

I'm trying a water birth, and will be able to move better than my other natural labors in the hospital's birthing bed, so hopefully the combo of those two factors will slow my labor down a bit and make the pain more manageable. One can hope, right?
Old 01-27-2009, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm not planning any calling anyone to watch my kids this time. DH annoys me while I'm in labor, I prefer just to be alone, so if he is on child duty then hopefully it will keep him out of my hair. My mom is 20 minutes away so if we do end up having to call then she can be here somewhat quickly.

DD1 was almost 4 last time I gave birth and she did really well with it. She sat in the kitchen with grandma for a couple hours making cards and letters to the new baby. I called her into the room when I started pushing because she had said before she really wanted to see the baby born. She was unsure and started to back out then then DD2 was born and DD1 was in love. She felt that the baby couldn't be in the water without a rubber ducky, so she ran to get one and tried to give it to DD2.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 PM

We have "Welcome With Love"! We love it! The boys were so interested in how/where the baby comes out. I thought I had explained it enough, but I didn't realize that the little one still thought the baby was going to "break my belly" and come out my belly button. So when we got to the birth illustration in that book, he said, "Oh, so it comes out your butt" LOL It does look like that in the picture! It's a sweet book, though. My boys are so excited about the baby's birth.

My 5 yr old, who was here (in another room) when his brother was born almost 3 yrs ago, asked me what room I think this baby should be born in. I asked him what he thought, and he said, "In that bathroom" (where brother was born.) It's funny because I think it's a good a place as any, easy to clean up anyway!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
She felt that the baby couldn't be in the water without a rubber ducky, so she ran to get one and tried to give it to DD2.
That's absolutely precious!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
We have "Welcome With Love"! We love it! The boys were so interested in how/where the baby comes out. I thought I had explained it enough, but I didn't realize that the little one still thought the baby was going to "break my belly" and come out my belly button. So when we got to the birth illustration in that book, he said, "Oh, so it comes out your butt" LOL It does look like that in the picture! It's a sweet book, though. My boys are so excited about the baby's birth.
lol. I noted in the weekly chat that ds2 (3) thought the birth would be stinky. When I asked him why he showed me that picture in the book and I realized he thought she was pooping the baby out and he thought the baby was going to stink like poop!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:58 PM

I love the idea of sharing some home birth books with my kids before the big day arrives. I checked to see what my library carried, and they don't even have an Ina May book on hand, let alone a home birth book for kids. Could you ladies give me some suggestions?

Someone just mentioned WELCOME WITH LOVE, what else can you recommend????

Thanks Mamas!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 PM

check out my book thread

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

User Tag List