April HBers - Check in here! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 332 Old 03-20-2009, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm busting in here at nearly 38 weeks. We recently decided to have a home birth and have been scrambling around at the last minute getting everything ready.

We have the pool and all the stuff that goes with it, and the birthing kit. The linens are washed and set aside.

The fish net is to fish out stuff out of the pool (fecal matter).

Casey
Mama to DS 2/22/06 and DS 3/27/09 :
#242 of 332 Old 03-20-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitLady View Post
I'm busting in here at nearly 38 weeks. We recently decided to have a home birth and have been scrambling around at the last minute getting everything ready.

We have the pool and all the stuff that goes with it, and the birthing kit. The linens are washed and set aside.

The fish net is to fish out stuff out of the pool (fecal matter).
Thats really cool!

When did you decide on a homebirth?

Great choice I'd say but I'm also an advocate for a women to choose where and how she wants to give birth and hope she has the birh she really wants. Felt it necessary to throw in that disclaimer, sorry

Personally, I'm terrified of hospitals, but thats just me.

Just ordered my birth pool today too!
I hope I get to use it this time. Last time I got out at the last minute and kicked myself for it for a long time afterwards.
#243 of 332 Old 03-20-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPai View Post
I need bendy straws, too!!! (So much more convenient in case you try to drink while lying down)
Last time I didn't buy bendy straws, despite them being on the list and being advised to have some. I had a great water bottle, and couldn't see needing them. Until I was pushing on hands and knees, and couldn't get the angle to work right. I actually changed positions for the birth to sidelying just so that I could drink while I was pushing. This time I've stocked up!

I bought the last of the supplies, and have everything pretty organized. I put the stuff for the birth/midwives (chux, flashlight, tissue, receiving blankets) in a tote, packed a bag for postpartum with clothes for baby and I, and put pads, peribottle, mesh panties and postpartum meds all in one place in the bathroom.

I'm feeling ready!!! And I'm 37 weeks and "legal" for homebirth tomorrow

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#244 of 332 Old 03-20-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

I'm feeling ready!!! And I'm 37 weeks and "legal" for homebirth tomorrow
: YAY!!!:
#245 of 332 Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
Thats really cool!

When did you decide on a homebirth?

Great choice I'd say but I'm also an advocate for a women to choose where and how she wants to give birth and hope she has the birh she really wants. Felt it necessary to throw in that disclaimer, sorry

Personally, I'm terrified of hospitals, but thats just me.

Just ordered my birth pool today too!
I hope I get to use it this time. Last time I got out at the last minute and kicked myself for it for a long time afterwards.
I've always been very interested in home birth but DH wasn't comfortable with the idea the first time around. After some crazy shenanigans started happening at the practice I was with I was feeling more and more anxious about who would attend our birth and how it would turn out. Finally I talked to DH about having a home birth and he was really open to the idea this time around! : We made the final decision around 34-35 weeks. I feel so much more at peace with staying at home.

Casey
Mama to DS 2/22/06 and DS 3/27/09 :
#246 of 332 Old 03-21-2009, 12:39 AM

Congrats on your decision :: Better late than never, right?

#247 of 332 Old 03-21-2009, 12:45 AM

okay the bendy straws are actually to be a straw... not some other mysterious function...

my son will be delighted if I get a whole box of bendy straws and only use a couple for myself...

dissertating mom to three

#248 of 332 Old 03-21-2009, 10:30 AM

I need to get a fishy net too! I think other than that, I've got everthing I need.

I had my blessingway last night (which was amazing) so Jason and Brynn headed south to a state park about 2 hours away to sleep in a cabin and go hiking and play today. The house is filled with wonderful feminine birth energy right now, so I am going to enjoy the day just puttering around and getting everything sorted and organized (all the birth supplies are just in a big box in the baby room), folding baby clothes, and breathing in all of the goodness and love that my friends blessed me with.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#249 of 332 Old 03-23-2009, 10:07 PM

Hey mamas, I found out something interesting today. Apparently coconut water (not milk) is great for restoring electrolytes, and a lot of people recommend it for pregnancy/birth.

Here's a little article about it. And one more.

So this might be a good alternative to sports drinks that have HFCS!

#250 of 332 Old 03-23-2009, 10:11 PM

I'm 38 weeks, I'll be 39 on Wednesday and I'm sooooo ready!
Birth tub is all set up and supplies are in place, now we just need labor to start! I hate this wait... I'm feeling so huge and getting so sleepy in the late afternoon.
I want my baby!!!!!!
#251 of 332 Old 03-23-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
But I didn't find the chux/bed pads. Do you think I need to go to a drugstore? Sheesh, its something I've never bothered to buy before. Maybe I can get them at a pet store when I get the net? I remember someone saying they sell them for puppies being housebroken??
yes, when you were @ Target, did you look w/ the pet supplies? I know my Wal-mart has them.
#252 of 332 Old 03-24-2009, 12:24 AM

We set up and tried out the fishy pool over the weekend. LOVE it! I actually prefer it to the AquaDoula I had for my last HB. Course now every time the toddler walks into the bedroom and sees it she asks to go swimming.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#253 of 332 Old 03-24-2009, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Hey mamas, I found out something interesting today. Apparently coconut water (not milk) is great for restoring electrolytes, and a lot of people recommend it for pregnancy/birth.

Here's a little article about it. And one more.

So this might be a good alternative to sports drinks that have HFCS!
Thanks mama!

It's funny - one of my 'guilty pleasures' is reading gossip rags/blogs and I read on one of them that Rebecca Romijn swore by coconut water when she was pregnant with her twins. I hadn't thought much about it until I saw your post! I was trying to figure out an alternative to have on-hand - sports drinks make me gag and I'm already worried about puking during labor

As for the Chux pads, we couldn't find them at Target or Meijer, but our MW said that they are usually in the aisle with incontinence (sp?) items - sort of on the bottom shelf. I haven't gone back yet to check though. We did get a resusable mattress pad and plastic mattress cover at Target but I know from last time that I will probably go through a few packs of the Chux during those few first hours/days.

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#254 of 332 Old 03-24-2009, 10:13 AM

Do you buy coconut water, or just buy coconuts and drink the water out? I'm familiar with the coconut drinks that are sold in Thai/Vietnamese restaurants and in all of the asian corner stores, but they're *really* sweet.

I just baked a loaf of bread in the bread machine with the timer last night. I hadn't used it in ages, but I'm thinking it would be amazing to set up in early labour and have fresh bread after the baby is born. I had the same thought last time and totally forgot about it, though...

#255 of 332 Old 03-24-2009, 02:53 PM

I found chux pads at CVS in the incontinence aisle. (across from the "feminine products", I'm surprised they don't just put the baby diapers there too and make it the aisle-of-fluid-control...)

So far no luck on buying one of those pink rubbery hot water bottles though.

Coconut water sounds interesting. I can't stand sports drinks or vitamin water or all that. I thought I might just go ahead and make that "laboraide" b/c I do like lemonade and I have calcium right now that is powdered inside the caps- I think I could open a few up and stir them in.

On another note- one of my good friends due a month after me has decided on a HB! She lives in Rhode Island and says I got her thinking about it in the first place. I am not surprised - she is a very self-sufficient and do-it-yourself kind of person. I think she and one of her sisters were born at home in England, so its more "normal" to her, but I guess she found the one MW in RI who can be covered by her insurance to do HB. Yay for her!

#256 of 332 Old 03-24-2009, 03:09 PM

Hey, my little one arrived at home yesterday after a very smooth and easy labor and a quick hands & knees delivery.

Completely complication free (as expected!), not even a tear (despite nuchal arm!)

Now baby and I are just resting and getting to know one another while my sweet busy husband takes care of the rest of our world. I'll post again when I get the birth story posted to my blog, for anyone interested.

--Kate, home/unschooling mom two three girls (6, 3, and Tiny)
#257 of 332 Old 03-24-2009, 03:36 PM

:

Yippie, that's great news! I'm hoping I'll be really soon..... 39 weeks tomorrow! Come on baby!
#258 of 332 Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
: Congratulations, simplymother!!!:

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#259 of 332 Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 PM

Congratulations!! It's so wonderful to hear our first lovely HB story!

Mel, for the coconut water, you can either get your own coconut (green, not brown) and hack the top off, or you can get the packaged kind. My store sells just plain old coconut water, not flavored or sweetened, and then some sweeted with mango, peach, (but nothing else - no sweeteners) etc. I got one of each to see which one I like. Actually, think I'll go try one now!

sip sip sip.

It's pretty weird. I am drinking the peach one. Definitely salty. And peachy.

#260 of 332 Old 03-24-2009, 08:28 PM

Congratulations. Sounds like everything went wonderful :

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplymother View Post
Hey, my little one arrived at home yesterday after a very smooth and easy labor and a quick hands & knees delivery.

Completely complication free (as expected!), not even a tear (despite nuchal arm!)

Now baby and I are just resting and getting to know one another while my sweet busy husband takes care of the rest of our world. I'll post again when I get the birth story posted to my blog, for anyone interested.

Michelle : wife to wonderful hubby mama to Jude (10/03) Annika (4/06)
Zane (3/09): : : :
#261 of 332 Old 03-25-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:

Congratulations :::
#262 of 332 Old 03-25-2009, 12:45 AM

Congrats Simplymother :

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#263 of 332 Old 03-25-2009, 12:58 AM

Simplymother, that is wonderful! Congratulations!

#264 of 332 Old 03-25-2009, 08:59 AM

Congratulations, simplymother!!!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#265 of 332 Old 03-25-2009, 12:53 PM

congrats simply! woohoo!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#266 of 332 Old 03-25-2009, 06:52 PM

Congrats!! :

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#267 of 332 Old 03-25-2009, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Congratulations!! Glad to hear you're getting some rest.
#268 of 332 Old 03-26-2009, 09:14 PM

Hi All!

Congratulations Simply, I'm glad your birth went so well!

The coconut water sounds really good! I have a question about laborade--can it be frozen after you mix it together?
#269 of 332 Old 03-26-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:

W00T!!!! : Enjoy your babymoon!!!

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#270 of 332 Old 03-27-2009, 03:45 AM

Thank you ALL so much! I finally posted the whole story here: http://simplymother.com/2009/03/26/third-birth-story/

I can't wait to read all of yours! I LOVE birth. I am so happy about how everything turned out for mine and I am sure all of yours will be just as wonderful. There is no comparison between home and the hospital!

--Kate, home/unschooling mom two three girls (6, 3, and Tiny)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page