April HBers - Check in here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2009, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After seeing a few of us on the HB forum, I thought I would start a thread here!

We are planning our first HB. DD was a 33 week preemie so she was born in an OR. We were planning an unmedicated hospital birth this time around, until a few weeks ago, when my gut started telling me that I shouldn't go that route. We met with a MW this week and are starting to make preparations for our HB!:

So, what is everyone doing at this point to get ready? I'm planning on doing the DONA Birth Doula training in February, so I've already been into their reading list which is helping a lot (currently reading "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth"). My OCD-tendencies are making me want to go out and buy all of the supplies, prepare a bunch of frozen meals, and have everything set up already. I'm trying to fight those urges though, and instead have started making tons of lists - what to do, what to read, what to buy, etc. I know April will be here very soon, but it seems like forever away!

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 06:58 PM

We ar hoping for a hb like our first but things happen so Im NEVER planning for something!!

My mw give me a list of the necessities and I purchase them at 30-32 weeks. Im going to make a list this week of who to call when, just in case shes early. Not just emergency numbers but violin teacher, school, etc.
Oh and a recipe menu for some frozen food and then planning on asking several freinds and relatives to bake something for us too!!

We are hoping to move soon so Im trying not to plan on doing too much in this house but I guess I need to plan that just in case!!:

wife. dd1 : dd2
Old 01-10-2009, 07:21 PM

We started Bradley classes this week, and I'm reading everything I can get my hands on! I'm very excited to go see our hb mw tomorrow (it's one of the highlights of my month).

Yay hb!

Loving life with my amazing DH , luminous DD ( March 2009), and two crazy .
Old 01-10-2009, 09:09 PM
LL7

I just finished Ina May's Guide to Childbirth... it's great! That and The Natural Pregnancy Book have given me so much confidence that I can have a natural birth at home. I feel like it's the right thing to do. I knew that I wanted to do that before I got pregnant, so when the test was positive, the first thing I did was call a midwife. This will be my first baby so I have no experience, but luckily I have several friends who have home birthed.

I haven't done many preparations yet other than reading and watching videos. And getting totally excited.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 PM

Checking in. I only started this week to be prepared. I just went through DS infant cloths (as we have unisex ones because we don't find out the sex before the birth) and took out all the ones I can use, then separated his cloths from 0-12months and 12-24months incase the baby is a boy then DH will wash them.

Other than that nothing, last year wasn't the best for me and I feel like I neglected this pregnancy I am now snapping back to reality that I only have about 12 more weeks :

I need to start excersising more and just taking care of my body better again. Not to mention we just moved this Oct. to a different apt.

Our bedroom is suppose to get some new things. Like a platform bed (right now we just sleep on the floor on a sleeping bag) and a twin platform bed for DS in our room, not sure how that is going to work. I am worried about having him in the bed w/ the baby he sleeps crazy and once in a while will get up at night and lie ontop of me. I don't want him to end up on the next side where the baby will be.

I need dresser drawers, new cloth diapers and covers, have to think on the rest, I am writing a list.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurilj View Post
I just finished Ina May's Guide to Childbirth... it's great! That and The Natural Pregnancy Book have given me so much confidence that I can have a natural birth at home. I feel like it's the right thing to do. I knew that I wanted to do that before I got pregnant, so when the test was positive, the first thing I did was call a midwife. This will be my first baby so I have no experience, but luckily I have several friends who have home birthed.

I haven't done many preparations yet other than reading and watching videos. And getting totally excited.
WELCOME! Glad to see you did some reading up, I read the Ina May book also. My first was also a homebirth and now I am doing the 2nd as a homebirth also. It is nice to see you have friends and people to support you and encourage you. I guess "experience" will come when labor starts, it kind of did for me. I just went with the flow and didn't think to much of anything, DH said seems like I went into a trance for a certain part because I cannot remember saying the stuff he said I said and I had no idea until about 2 months ago what really happened.

Hope everything turns out good for you.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:33 PM

hahaha, nice to see you again fridaxsky! i am planning on a hb. we were going to do a birth center birth, but i think with pain meds out of the picture, i will do much better in an environment where i am totally comfortable. we have nothing prepared for a hb yet i have just started buying some cloth diapers, baby clothes.... picked up some bfing items today. i would like to read some more books, and will hopefully be able to start my hypnobabies class within the next month. i should get my hb supply list from the mw at my next visit and then we can start picking up those items as well. im super excited! the thought of not having to go anywhere when this little one decides to make an appearance is wonderful.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:47 PM

We're planning a homebirth too-- though I had a great unmedicated midwife-attended bc birth with my first, things got very medicalized afterwards (lots of anxiety about baby who was fine in the end but it was very stressful and we were in the hospital for 4 days, fortunately with me rooming in with him but still!). I just really want to be together as a family for this, can't imagine my 4yo really feeling "at home" even in the relatively kid-friendly birth center.

I am not doing a lot to prepare, at least not stuff-wise. I don't have the time, money, or desire to do a lot of shopping. We've already gotten handed down two very nice infant carseats. My son was born about 2 weeks before his due date and we literally had nothing other than diapers, some clothes, and a carseat, and a sling. Well-- that was fine! turns out babies don't actually need much stuff. I will need to rebuild the diaper stash. I may use 1-2 packs of disposible diapers at first anyway, in the poop-every-hour stage. Planning to sew up a big stack of recycled-fabric dipes with another pregnant crafty friend, but not until I pass some big exams in mid-March.

As for reading- I plan to borrow some books from my homebirthing friends, but I also don't have the time or money to pay for classes (and a babysitter, sheesh, and my husband often works 6 nights a week so I am not sure WHEN we could go anyway!).

I am a full-time student and I am trying to finish a lot of work before baby is born! That will hopefully go well and will be my main "preparation". We live in a modest apartment with a normal-smallish freezer, so I can't really go crazy with cooking ahead anyway. If baby is early I will count on my many great mom neighbors to help out with that sort of thing, I am sure they will. I'm due April 23 so I'll try to be sure I am as "ready" as possible by the first week of April, in case I am a repeat fast-gestater (totally took me by surprise the first time around! I expected a late, gigantic baby and a odyssey-like labor like my mom... instead just had a wee little 8lb6oz 38-weeker after 12 hours of labor from no dilation to birth...).

Good luck mamas, I am excited to read your HB stories in April!

-Emma

dissertating mom to three

Old 01-10-2009, 11:09 PM

Hi! I'm planning a homebirth. This is baby #4 for us, and after a normal natural birth at the hospital last time around, I'm ready to have this one here at home. So far we haven't done much to prepare, though now that I am officially 3rd trimester I am starting to think of all the little details I want to remember! Our midwife wants us to purchase a birth kit, so I'll be getting that and our blow up baby pool soon...I want to do some bigger projects like organizing my basement where the laundry is (so my sister and my bff don't have to deal with a mess when they do laundry) and make meals for PP. I'm in the process of getting all my newborn clothes back from the various relatives that I lent them out to, so hopefully soon I can go through all of those and make sure I am set.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so excited to see so many HBers here! It will be great to read all of these birth stories in a few months!

What kind of tubs/pools is everyone using? Our MW has inflatable pools to rent, but we also have a big old claw-foot tub in our upstairs bathroom. I'm thinking the bathtub will be too shallow to be comfortable, so I'm thinking we'll go ahead and rent the pool.

Lydia - Where in SE MI are you? We just moved out of the Toledo area - came further east in Ohio, near Sandusky. In Toledo, I was part of some of the Toledo-area AP groups (babywearing, cloth diapering) and there were lots of SE MI mamas. I also went to a few Birth Circle meetings at Mother's Own in Temperance and actually, Linda will be our MW!

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

Old 01-11-2009, 01:51 AM

My mw gives you a rubbermaid tub for the birth. Its a horse feeding trough size and she steralizes it for birth and then hauls it away!!

wife. dd1 : dd2
Old 01-11-2009, 01:56 AM

HB mama here too Haven't done much yet to prepare... other than seeing the midwife who I had w/ my HB w/ dd & just taking good care of myself in general. After a loss in between dd & this pg, I'm hesitant to get out the baby clothes & put together my birth kit until I get closer to term.

Good luck to you all as you prepare :
Old 01-11-2009, 02:09 AM
jmo

We're planning an HB too. DD was born in a birth ctr but she came really fast and was almost born in the car on the way there so I'm looking forward to staying put this time! I haven't done much to prepare for the birth yet. My mw is supposed to bring me the list of required stuff next visit (in 2 or so wks). We're going to use her tub (just an inflatable fishy pool) but I think she said we needed to get an RV hose to fill it with. Pg brain can't remember anything these days.

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
Old 01-11-2009, 02:10 AM

our MW likes to use a pool that she says is usually between $40 and $60. Blow-up, stiff sides. But one of my friends was literally in her pool for 5 minutes or something and I guess she hated it in labor, so I think I can borrow hers. I think I can purchase a liner? I will also try to round up things like hose, electric pump, so I don't have to buy it all. I have a feeling I can get those loaned between neighbors and other local HB moms. I *think* I'd like to have a waterbirth, but I have yet another friend who hated the pool too! (I was too quick at the BC with my son... by the time they FINALLY got it filled up I was already having him! Over there were weren't "allowed" to push the baby out in the water anyway, so it would have just been for pain management during labor)

dissertating mom to three

Old 01-11-2009, 02:24 AM

HB here. We are planning our 2nd homebirth, but its not our babe. IM is started to get excited ( i think lol). right now im just focusing on getting things ready for the birth slowly.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
Old 01-11-2009, 03:42 AM

I had a 27 week preemie. We've been planning a home birth for this baby since before conception.

Bri: mom to K: and M: at 27 weeks and 33 weeks :
Old 01-11-2009, 04:17 AM

Hi Everybody!

We're planning our first hb for baby #4 due April 2nd.

I'm officially in my third trimester now so my appointments are every two weeks already.

At my last appointment, we talked a lot about a water birth (hoping it will slow my labor down enough to be manageable...my babies come shooting out!).

Our MW needs to email us the purchasing list and the website for the tub...so we haven't purchased anything yet. Although I did buy a super-cute sleeper from Target the other day (clearance rack for $2.98) and I have new purple sling on its way from Maya Wrap.

But because my babies do come so fast, and my MW lives/practices in Denver (100 miles south of here) she is planning on leaving one of her emergency kits here with us, just in case DH ends up catching the baby!

Otherwise...I'm just starting to get really excited and hoping these last 12 weeks fly by (especially since I hate this time of year...cold, windy and miserable in Wyoming).
Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 AM

Planning a homebirth here! We haven't done much to prepare for the actual birth yet. I think my midwife will tell me what we need to get at our next appointment. I am so excited!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Old 01-11-2009, 03:46 PM

: So many HB mamas!

This will be our second HB. I haven't done much to prepare yet, I'll start collecting supplies in Feb. I prefer to labor and birth on land so no pool We switched bedrooms a few weeks ago from the smallest one in the house to the biggest one so there will be more room for the babe, that's about the extent of the excitement here so far.

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
Old 01-11-2009, 09:35 PM

Were planning a HB here too but, like many of you, we haven't done a lot so far... I've been seeing my MW from the start but we haven't really talked yet about what we would need... Lately, I added a pool and some bed pads to our registry (which I also use as a reminder list of what to buy) but that's about everything I've done so far...
Actually, I feel so confident about the whole concept that i don't feel like I should prepare anything...
Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 PM

Hi All! We're planning an HBAC. This will be baby #2, HB #1 for us. I am doing the original "Hypnobirthing" program and possibly doing a waterbirth. My mws said the biggest reason for transport was pain relief, so I'm making sure I have lots of natural options there. I'm trying to find some good sitters (college age, preferably) and maybe someone to clean the house once in awhile post-baby.

I am mostly worried about sleep. DS#1 still doesn't sleep through the night without a visit from mommy or daddy (and usually one of us ends up sleeping part of the night with him). I think we may have to get creative about sleep arrangements.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:10 PM

We'll be doing a HB too. As a new HB MW myself, it would have been an odd choice to not do one! I think my family would have done the opposite thing that most families do by saying "Why WOULDN'T you have your baby at home?"

Anyway, we are just having fun collecting baby supplies since this is our first. As far as freezing meals, getting the house ready, etc...I feel that I have loads of time. I won't start that until March. I have a friend in town who is also the birthtub rental source, so I will be getting one from her. it's the big Aqua Doula one, which I think will be very nice. Otherwise I was just planning to use the bathtub, but I will be happier with the freestanding tub, so DH can also get in with me. I'm excited about labor. After attending 100+ births in MW schooling, I am so happy that in a few months it will be my turn! And I just can't wait to meet the baby girl that is inside me.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
Old 01-11-2009, 11:18 PM
acp

We're also planning a hb. Baby #2, HB #1, like a few others on here. So far, I haven't really done much at all.
The things on my list that I'd like to do over the next few months:

- get a list of supplies from my mw, have them on hand

- line up people for different times who can be on call to watch DD when I go into labor (I"m really hoping I go until my due date or later, since then my mom will be here, and she's by far my preference, but I figure I need some back-ups in case I go earlier. I'd love to have DD witness part or all of the birth if she's interested, but have no way of knowing ahead of time what her interest will be, and in any case figure I need someone whose sole job is watching her. Ideally that will be someone she is comfortable with and who I don't mind having in the house while I'm in labor. My mom is the only one who *really* fits those, but I need to come up with the best alternatives in case she can't be there, and then make sure they're OK with it/available.

- Go through DD's infant clothes and cloth dipes and get some of them ready for this next baby.

- Figure out if there are any things we need (infant car seat I'm hoping to borrow from a friend, ring sling I've been wanting, etc).

Are there any other things beyond getting certain supplies that I really need to do differently for a home birth than for a hospital birth?? I don't really know, since this is uncharted territory for us...
Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato2boys View Post
: So many HB mamas!

This will be our second HB. I haven't done much to prepare yet, I'll start collecting supplies in Feb. I prefer to labor and birth on land so no pool We switched bedrooms a few weeks ago from the smallest one in the house to the biggest one so there will be more room for the babe, that's about the extent of the excitement here so far.
This is me too. I prefer "on land" for some reason the pool/tub never really appealed to me.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:41 AM

This is my second baby, second homebirth. I have various getting ready for the baby stuff to do (pull baby stuff up from the crawlspace, freeze meals, etc.), but nothing that I want done right away- especially with regard to clothes and diapers that I don't want or need cluttering my space until closer to the end.

And as for actually preparing for the birth, I know I'll need some pads and other supplies, but I'm waiting a little while still. My mattress cover is currently on the boxspring, and my old sheets are already in the closet. And I feel pretty emotionally, spiritually and psychologically ready for the birth. At least I think I do.

I need to chat about the labour and birth with my husband and see if he wants to go over anything again. In particular I've been thinking about precipitous birth stuff, in case he needs to help if the midwives don't make it.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 01-12-2009, 01:58 AM

Hi! I'm new to the forum. Baby boy #3 due 4/18. I am reading this whole thread trying to get everyone's stories lol. We are "planning" (baby decides) a home birth. I try not to plan anything I have no control of but my last baby was a 3 hour labor in a hospital with a midwife (who didn't show up on time because the staff told everyone I was not in labor). I figured if I did it alone then I could do it at home no prob!
I did hypnobirthing with my 2nd after a traumatic and horrible 1st birth experience and this will be my 2nd hypnobirthing baby.

Glad to see all the other HB mamas! Good to know I'm not the only one!
-CM
Old 01-12-2009, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
This will be my 2nd HB, we are undecided if there will be a MW there or not though. I haven't done too much this pg for this baby, but I'm still feeling confident. I have a friend that is due just days after me and she is also considering not hiring a MW so we've been chatting frequenting, it is nice to talk with someone IRL.

I'll get together my birthing supplies when it gets closer, and I need to get a tub again, I've love the water with my last two labor/births. I am meeting with a MW that I know next weekend to feel things out, because I am starting to feel that I need decide one way or the other soon!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 AM

DH and I are UC HB'ers! To get ready I have already ordered my birthing supplies, organized my preemie and newborn items, and have my dipes in order. I have to check our La Bassine tub for holes and such. Other than that, I am a total clean freak, so I am cleaning everything, 24/7.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:08 PM

This will be HB #3 for us... my fifth baby. Wonderful midwives, who promise to be very hands-off unless they have to be otherwise, which is nice. No pool... I wish, but we rent, and I don't want to chance it. I've never done a water birth, and this will be my last... but oh well! Other than that, I haven't done a thing to get ready for the actual birth itself, aside from trying to remember if it actually hurts as much as it looks like it does...

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
Old 01-12-2009, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
: 3rd child, Second HB, hopefully 3rd waterbirth. I was in and out of the water with both my other births, moving around, changing positions, moving labor along - I will birth whereever I am at the moment.
This is our last pregnancy, so I'm trying to make the most of it.
I don't plan to focus on baby prep until at least March. I'm due 4/19, BUT my first pregnancy was 8 days past EDD and second pregnancy was 16 or 17 days past EDD, so I don't want to make myself anxious.

I want to focus on just being pregnant for as long as I can. As another Mama here mentioned, the first parts of my pregnancy have been hectic - with birthdays, holidays, etc. and I feel it's time to shift gears.
SO, I am taking more belly pictures and starting a pregnancy journal. My last pregnancy journal is hopefull still in the archives here on MDC from my previous DDC. This one will be in my hands. Exercise is another area that needs my attention! Especially kegals & squats.

So nice to see so many other HBers in our DDC.
ETA: We will have the AquaDoula birth tub again. There is a link to Raley's homebirth story with photos if you want to see what the tub looks like in action.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 

User Tag List