S/O: The "Too Weird" Baby Names Thread! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AFWife's thread got me thinking...

We have also been getting the "that's too weird"/"why are you doing this to your child?" comments on our name choice from most people we know.

From the looks of it, lots of us in this DDC are choosing names that are a bit outside of the norm so I decided to start a thread where we can share all of the cool, uncommon names we will be using. If our family and friends IRL can't appreciate our name choices, let's appreciate each others'!

DS will be named:
Oz Steven Bradley (LastName)

For fun, our DD's name is:
Ezri Mae Bradley (LastName)

So bring on all of your the great names that will apparently "scar your child for life!":

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#2 of 62 Old 01-21-2009, 09:08 PM

I got a lot of those comments for Keagan ... which I find to be a very normal name. I've had a few people act like Eden (baby on the way's name) is odd, but I don't care. We had a ton of comments on our choice for a name for our angel-baby, Titus. People really didn't like that.

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#3 of 62 Old 01-21-2009, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

DH LOVES Eden for a girl and we both talked about Titus for a boy.

Great names, mama!

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#4 of 62 Old 01-21-2009, 09:16 PM

Our girl is Eden Aileen. I thought I was being so original . But it's stuck, she is Eden and I think she picked the name herself. So, there you go.

Everyone loves Eden, but my mom, at least, had a harder time with Aileen. She would mispronounce it on purpose when I talked to her on the phone. She's gotten used to it, I think. She didn't like my Nephew's name before he was born and now she thinks it 'so original'

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#5 of 62 Old 01-21-2009, 09:18 PM

DDC Crashing... only because I think my sons' names belong here.
DS1 Aristotle Ashley Allen <last name>
DS2 Raphael George Douglas <last name> (less original but still gets looks)
DS(?)3 is as yet unnamed. We can't decide on a name which is suitably original and we both like.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#6 of 62 Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 PM

Franklin Gaudelio Lea [last name]

We were going with Kathrine Assea Lea [last name] had it been a girl

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#7 of 62 Old 01-21-2009, 10:00 PM

We're thinking of naming our girl River (but haven't decided for sure yet). I stopped telling people what names we like because I got tired of people's reactions.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#8 of 62 Old 01-21-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
We're thinking of naming our girl River (but haven't decided for sure yet). I stopped telling people what names we like because I got tired of people's reactions.

river was one of the names we considered for either a boy or a girl. i love it for either sex. we decided on gwyneth because it went a little better with dd1's name, and its also a family name.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#9 of 62 Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 PM

My dd is Kimari Elizabeth (our terribly unique last name) and our son will be Mathias David (last name)

Bri: mom to K: and M: at 27 weeks and 33 weeks :
#10 of 62 Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 PM

ooo I love these names you all have picked for your children!!!

With dd we had Magnolia on our list (nn maggie) and Cimmaron. if first one was a boy we liked Dante. It was a never ending negative comments about all those names from both sides of the family.

This time they all were all upset when I said i'm not telling them what we were thinking of. Which techniccally wasn't a problem seeing as we don't really have many or any we liked when they asked. I reminded them of their reaction last time. And told them if they didn't like the name we picked, they'd get over it.

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#11 of 62 Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

These are some great names!:

With our DD, Ezri was our very first choice. We mentioned it from the beginning and almost everyone we knew was horrified.: We kept bouncing around different names to avoid the bad reactions, but we still kept going back to Ezri for her. DD had a twin sister that we lost at 27 weeks. We named her Lili - a form of the name Lila which is Hindi for "free will of God". After that, we decided that it didn't matter what anyone else thought. Ezri is Hebrew for "strength" and "my help" so we just went with the name that DD had clearly chosen for herself! It suits her so well and now everyone loves it.

This time, we decided that no matter what people's initial reactions, we were going with the names we liked and everyone else could just get over it. Oz is also a Hebrew name meaning "strong" and "courage". We came across it the night before we found out he was a boy and both LOVED it - but we were convinced he was a girl! He definitely showed us and we've been calling him Oz ever since!

#12 of 62 Old 01-22-2009, 12:19 AM

Mine are Riley, Torin, Cael . . . and new babe is Ebba.

We didn't get any flack for our name choices--not to our faces, I'm sure there was lots of eye-rolling and talk amongst the family with each weird name we've chosen. Though my dad didn't like the name Riley at first, but that's because he knew someone with that last name and wasn't much of a fan of that person. He also made the suggestion of Kale at that time, to which I responded incredulously, "Like the vegetable? Why don't we just name him Broccoli or Rutabaga?" We teased my dad mercilessly about that name for months, then again the teasing was refreshed during my pregnancy with DS2. When I was pg with DS3, we could not find a boy name we liked at all and DH came across the spelling Kael, which I liked but not starting with a "K" because our last name starts with "k." So I looked up Cael and just loved the way it looked, the spelling, and had definitely grown to like the "vegetable name." My dad was thrilled (vindicated!) when we named him Cael.

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

#13 of 62 Old 01-22-2009, 01:12 AM

I got the mispronunciation on purpose too... my MIL would call Keagan "Kegel" when he was in the womb :

She's also acted really funny about Eden..."That's interesting, how do you spell that?" Um like the garden?

I forgot all we got for our possible name for a boy this time around. Kai. Everyone had a problem with it.

BTW, I thought Eden was really original too... and here it is three times on one thread! Oh well!

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#14 of 62 Old 01-22-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokimari View Post
My dd is Kimari Elizabeth (our terribly unique last name) and our son will be Mathias David (last name)
Oh Mathias...I LOVE LOVE that name!! That was going to be the middle name if this had been a boy. Would have been Rocco Mathias.

wife. dd1 : dd2
#15 of 62 Old 01-22-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmk View Post
Mine are Riley, Torin, Cael . . . and new babe is Ebba.

We didn't get any flack for our name choices--not to our faces, I'm sure there was lots of eye-rolling and talk amongst the family with each weird name we've chosen. Though my dad didn't like the name Riley at first, but that's because he knew someone with that last name and wasn't much of a fan of that person. He also made the suggestion of Kale at that time, to which I responded incredulously, "Like the vegetable? Why don't we just name him Broccoli or Rutabaga?" We teased my dad mercilessly about that name for months, then again the teasing was refreshed during my pregnancy with DS2. When I was pg with DS3, we could not find a boy name we liked at all and DH came across the spelling Kael, which I liked but not starting with a "K" because our last name starts with "k." So I looked up Cael and just loved the way it looked, the spelling, and had definitely grown to like the "vegetable name." My dad was thrilled (vindicated!) when we named him Cael.
I actually know a Riley, Torin AND Cale!! They are all amazing people too!!!

#16 of 62 Old 01-22-2009, 01:58 AM

Im sorry (to the people who dont like the names) but I love every single name you guys posted. Oh man, such beautiful, unique names.

Our new dd is going to be Sophia, and its currently number 3 on the top 100 list, but my dh spent a long time thinking of a name he really liked (AND that went with Isabella dd1) and to me, that overshadows the stupid top 100!

The middle name? Its all mine, but I cant decide! With dd1 I picked Tallulah for her middle name because I loved it and it means Leaping Water and she was a homebirth so voila!
Im getting some great ideas from this thread though!!

#17 of 62 Old 01-22-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
Oh Mathias...I LOVE LOVE that name!! That was going to be the middle name if this had been a boy. Would have been Rocco Mathias.
I'm glad to hear it. We love it too. If DD had been a boy she was going to be Connor Mathias. But Connor was so popular around here between then and now that we decided not to use it this time. We bounced around a few other ideas (most of them keeping Mathias as the middle name... Noah, Merlin ) but we decided if we loved the name so much, why not make it his first name? I'm not sure what we would have done if the u/s said he was a girl. We had a few things we liked, but nothing was perfect like with the other names for our kids.

Bri: mom to K: and M: at 27 weeks and 33 weeks :
#18 of 62 Old 01-22-2009, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Our former neighbour's daughter's name was Spitfire. Thankfully she lived up to the name and it suited her perfectly
#19 of 62 Old 01-22-2009, 06:55 PM

My sister's hairdresser is named Sunshine Day, and it fits her personality perfectly. I love the name Eden btw.

DH dislikes most of the names I bring up, but his dad snorted when I said "Felix" and said it would be a good name for a cat, but not a boy. : We're trying not to discuss potential name choices with other people because I think it might taint the process. Well we also want to see what fits the baby or which name the baby takes to.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#20 of 62 Old 01-22-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
I actually know a Riley, Torin AND Cale!! They are all amazing people too!!!

WOW!! And here I thought we were being original . . . (Good to know they're amazing. My boys are for sure!)

We had picked Riley without knowing it was getting popular or that it was being used as a girl's name. I just loved it from the moment I found it. It's so very much a boy's name to me, though. And it suits him perfectly. But I really like to have unusual names.

I love all the names everyone's thinking about and/or picked too. What a great batch of names we have in this DDC.

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

#21 of 62 Old 01-22-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenie View Post
I forgot all we got for our possible name for a boy this time around. Kai. Everyone had a problem with it.
really? I don't think of that as a weird name at all! slightly "original", but certainly not odd.... I first heard it when I was in high school and LOVED it...

So, we named our first son Killian (traditional irish name) - but call him "Kai" (although we spell it Ki, to be more like his full name). We get a lot of odd looks about his full name, but never his "nickname"...

People also love being "clever" with suggestions for #2 - like Hennesey or Guiness

I guess our name choices this time are a little different as well, but not too much... Maybe Breckin for a boy, and either Auden, Afton, or Dillon for a girl.

I love Eden as well, but DH doesn't like the biblical connotation...

loving Mama to Killian (6/07) and Breckin (3/26)
#22 of 62 Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 PM

our son is Rowan David and our daughter is Ava Michele. At first i didn't love Rowan because that was the last name of my former boss (great woman, but... LOL)...but it grew on me and is now my favorite name in the entire world. and then, about 2 months after he was born, Brooke Shields named her daughter Rowan. grrr.

with Ava, it was just a classic name we both loved. a runner up was Nora or Norah. we thought NOBODY was naming their kids Ava, we didn't know any. well, now there are 938420938402934 of them around. LOL

this baby will be Riley Grace. We had settled on Riley for either a boy or a girl. no matter what this baby is, it's Riley. She chose her name herself, pretty much. but it took a while to settle on a middle name. we felt most strongly about Grace, but had wanted a family name (which it isn't). Rowan's middle name is DH's name, and Ava's middle name is my name. but Riley Grace is all her own. LOL
#23 of 62 Old 01-22-2009, 07:52 PM

My friend's kids are Avalon, Eden, and new babe is Cambria.
#24 of 62 Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 PM

where do you find the "top 100" list, by the way?

I am not particularly looking for a too-weird name, just curious. But we've both wanted to look for names that are not too common- his first name is Andrew and my last name is Johnson... so we've spent all our lives with these annoyingly common names, there are just ALWAYS so many others with them. My name is Emma, when I was growing up I literally never once met another Emma other than my grandmother, for whom I am named, but now, sheesh, Emma Johnsons are a dime a dozen. So, even a "unique" name can change fortunes very quickly.

My son is Oscar, which isn't weird but not too common either. And not confusing or hard for people to understand (though many remember it as "Oliver" for some reason, or occasionally mis-hear it as Arthur). I was also angling back then for Jasper or Caspar, and for Roger (after my dad) but my husband didn't like them. And now, I don't want kids with rhyming names, so I think that Jasper would be off the table- too close to Oscar.

Anyway, I don't know if we're having a boy or a girl, and I am not planning to name ahead of time, just come up with some general ideas.

dissertating mom to three

#25 of 62 Old 01-22-2009, 10:50 PM

Love the names you've all chosen--none are "too weird" IMHO. I tried to get DH on board for "River" or "Ocean" but he wasn't crazy about them.
#26 of 62 Old 01-22-2009, 11:18 PM

I like Sijah

Its a cross between Simon and Elijah
#27 of 62 Old 01-23-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
where do you find the "top 100" list, by the way?

Here... http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#28 of 62 Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM

And then if you want the "top 100" by your specific state:

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/namesbystate.html
#29 of 62 Old 01-23-2009, 07:25 PM

thanks for those links.

dissertating mom to three

#30 of 62 Old 01-25-2009, 03:48 AM
acp

We're thinking of Finn for this baby, which I actually don't think is very weird (in fact, its getting to be somewhat trendy), but I know my family does. They'll get used to it, though, if that's what we decide on. We're also considering Jude.
DD's name is Willa - I get lots of comments about it being unusual, but none of them negative, probably because it still has a very traditional feel to it.
I like a lot of the names mentioned on here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page