Babies are here! Small update post # 40! Pics #62 Update #83 and #93 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 102 Old 02-27-2009, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
EEEEEE!

well, congratulations first of all if i didn't say it already (i think i did LOL) but also - can we see some pictures please??????
#92 of 102 Old 02-27-2009, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IncaMama View Post
EEEEEE!

well, congratulations first of all if i didn't say it already (i think i did LOL) but also - can we see some pictures please??????

There are beautiful pictures in post #62!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#93 of 102 Old 02-27-2009, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

GREAT news. I nursed today! Emaline latched on pretty easily. I haven't had my lactation appointment yet. (It's tomorrow) but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. I had no idea what I was doing, but apparently she did. It was awkward at first, but I eventually got my nipple into her tiny little mouth. She kind of sat there at first, but I jiggled my breast a bit and she started to suck. She'd suck a few times, then stop, and I'd jiggle again. I don't think she actually got anything, but I'm just so excited that she latched on!

Next time I'm going to express a bit until the milk is flowing and to extend the nipple a bit so that she gets a bit more instant gratification. She's still not quite there on the suck/swallow/breathe thing. Usually she forgets to swallow, but occasionally she forgets to breathe, which is a bit scary.

Also, I've moved to pumping every 2 hours with a 5 hour break at night. I'm also pumping for 3-5 minutes after my milk stops coming out, rather than the 20 minutes that the lactation counselor told me. I'm going to shorten the night one soon. I'm already seeing great results. I'm getting an ounce and a half to 2 ounces on each side per pumping. That's an increase of 8 oz per day from the day before!

One more great update. They are both getting exclusively breastmilk, no fortifiers or anything. Just straight mama milk all day long.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#94 of 102 Old 02-27-2009, 11:14 PM

Oh that is wonderful news!! : Congratulations, Mama! I was smiling through your whole post, thinking about what a wonderful moment that was for both of you. And hooray for no supplements!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#95 of 102 Old 02-27-2009, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post
GREAT news. I nursed today! Emaline latched on pretty easily. I haven't had my lactation appointment yet. (It's tomorrow) but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. I had no idea what I was doing, but apparently she did. It was awkward at first, but I eventually got my nipple into her tiny little mouth. She kind of sat there at first, but I jiggled my breast a bit and she started to suck. She'd suck a few times, then stop, and I'd jiggle again. I don't think she actually got anything, but I'm just so excited that she latched on!

Next time I'm going to express a bit until the milk is flowing and to extend the nipple a bit so that she gets a bit more instant gratification. She's still not quite there on the suck/swallow/breathe thing. Usually she forgets to swallow, but occasionally she forgets to breathe, which is a bit scary.

Also, I've moved to pumping every 2 hours with a 5 hour break at night. I'm also pumping for 3-5 minutes after my milk stops coming out, rather than the 20 minutes that the lactation counselor told me. I'm going to shorten the night one soon. I'm already seeing great results. I'm getting an ounce and a half to 2 ounces on each side per pumping. That's an increase of 8 oz per day from the day before!

One more great update. They are both getting exclusively breastmilk, no fortifiers or anything. Just straight mama milk all day long.
That is such great news!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#96 of 102 Old 02-28-2009, 12:13 AM

That's fantastic! I can't wait to nurse. I'm so happy for you!
#97 of 102 Old 02-28-2009, 07:41 AM

I am so happy for you!!!

Your kiddos are beautiful and they look so healthy!!!

Thank you for all the updates and the pictures.: Truly makes my day.

Congratulations mama! You have incredible instincts!!!
#98 of 102 Old 02-28-2009, 11:57 AM

Thanks for taking the time to share your positive news with us. It sounds like you are doing a terrific job! Enjoy every moment!:
#99 of 102 Old 02-28-2009, 12:38 PM

What lucky babies!! Congrats! ::

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#100 of 102 Old 02-28-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Update:

Emaline is in an open crib. She's maintaining her temperature, digesting feeds, and on two bottles a day. I get to start "practicing" nursing tomorrow! She's well on her way to moving to the 7th floor, which is the "transition" nursery. She'll have her own room and I can stay with her all day and just feed her and cuddle her.

Ben's a bit slower, but that's expected with boys. He's off oxygen, and will practice maintaining his temperature tomorrow. If he maintains his temperature and keeps his oxygen up all by himself, he'll move to an open crib tomorrow or the next day. I told him he better catch up cause his sister is kicking his butt!

They're both just as beautiful as can be in completely different ways. Emaline is dark haired, with a small, delicate little face and features. Ben is blonde as can be with the chubbiest little cheeks and a puckery mouth and a big round belly. Emaline likes to be all snuggled up in her baby burrito, but Ben stretches out like a cat every so often and likes to sleep all sprawled out. It's so cute!
How exciting to see their differences between them already! So glad they are doing so well health-wise :

Quote:

What wonderful news! : Both for your babies & for you to have that kind of success is fantastic! :

Re: pumping, I haven't had the NICU mom experience, but I was a pumping student mom from the time dd was 2 weeks old (part-time). I never had any supply issues & was never trying to build my supply... I was lucky enough to let-down very easily on the pump & would get tons of milk for the first 5 or 10 mins & then it would slow to just a drop here & there. So as long as your supply is in good shape (I think pumping every 2 hrs is fantastic!) I think your intuition is right about not feeling obliged to pump for the full 20 mins. Does that make sense?

I bet your freezer & your neighbor's will be overflowing w/ your frozen milk before you know it!
#101 of 102 Old 03-01-2009, 07:09 AM

Way to go, Mama!!!!!:
#102 of 102 Old 03-01-2009, 06:06 PM

Yay! It sounds like you are doing a great job of figuring out how to keep up with their needs :. I'm glad to hear Emaline latched well!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page