Mothering Forum banner

Weekly Chat: *March*1 - *March*7

4K views 154 replies 32 participants last post by  ShineliketheSon 
#1 ·
Here we are in MARCH! omg! What's up with everyone?

#127 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
I don't think she realizes that amazons like me don't have to poke out so far because of our vast internal expanses.

You mean your extra roomy pelvis
? I'm much bigger this time than last, and I get still get small comments. Neela was under 7 lbs, but most people guessed she'd be even smaller. I chalk it up to a huge roomy pelvis where she could hide

I was planning to work for two more weeks (I'm not quite 35 weeks now), but TODAY WAS MY LAST DAY OF WORK
:
:

I saw my midwife today, and with her encouragement decided to finish work. My co-workers quickly got me a cake, and I had the chance to call and make plans with the last few clients and families on my caseload. I've been gearing up for this all week, so it wasn't too hard to arrange things to leave. And I got to go to the parent-infant drop-in group that I facilitate one last time, and it was great to get to say goodbye to the mamas and babies that I've been watching grow for the past several months!

I think I often don't realize how much I'm contracting, but when I told the midwife that I had three contractions on the not-quite 15 minute drive over from my office she suggested that I need more rest. I'm also going to increase my calcium supplement and cut out my rooibus tea to see if that makes any difference. Other than the contractions, things feel remarkably the same as last time and I'm really not expecting the baby to make an early appearance. Neela was born at 39 weeks with me expecting another couple of weeks of pregnancy. And once again I'm expecting to be about 41 weeks...

#128 ·
Melw YEEEESSS!!! Yay for last days of work!

I know this sounds REALLY dumb but I have been thinking that Im either not that big or WAAAAYY too big all day every day. I started showing at like 10 weeks and I had been hearing "having twins/triplets?" from the very early months, and now I feel like Ive really grown into my belly and Im not really THAT big.

But then, I see myself in a full length mirror the other day and poor DH has to talk me down off a ledge!! I lost it!! I was feeling so good from the waist up with the boobs and the belly, but didnt realize how wide my butt and hips have gotten!
I think its just the reality that even though Ive done this before, its weird not to recognize my own body!! Its ok though, I havent had many body issue days this preg, so Im letting myself have a couple!!

On a VERY positive note, Its supposed to be sunny all weekend and Im gonna pick up the babys dresser on Sat!
:

One more thing, I was at a friends house tonight and she has a sister who first had twins, 4 weeks premature, vaginally, one was 7.3lbs, the other was 6.12 lbs. Then she had another kid 5 yrs later, vaginally, 10.8 lbs!!! Makes me grateful we have the power to strrrreeetch!

#130 ·
Lindsay i keep getting the "sure its not twins" comments and I feel small
I keep thinking this is only going to be a 7lb-er or smaller. I saw myself in the full length mirror at the chiro on wednesday and yeah maybe I'm not as small as I thnk

lilgreen, duedates with later u/s aren't very accurate. In later u/s babies gestional age is all about size, baby is the size over and avg X-week and they calc the due date by that. At this late in the game I would be extremly surprised if your brother's partner's new dd is accurate.
As an example, when I was pg with the twins, because one was smaller than the other they u/s machine (not the tech the machine does it automatically) would come up with two different due dates
of course no one went by them. Same thing if they had a growth spurt or very little growth, differnt dd than the last scan. DH was very fascinted by the u/s in the beginning so he asked a lot of questions and we had the same tech for what felt like 10,000 scans

Sorry about your foot Peony

mamamccloud, good luck on the nesting, knowing when must be very exciting and very scary all at once

#132 ·
Is anyone else craving ice chips? I started to about 2 weeks ago and remember ding it w/my other pgs but don't know what it means. My irons not low (just was tested and in was 12 something) so its not that. But can't get enough of it! I have to crunch it too!
I drink about 3 cups of water at least a day just to eat the ice out of it! lol

#133 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
Is anyone else craving ice chips? I started to about 2 weeks ago and remember ding it w/my other pgs but don't know what it means. My irons not low (just was tested and in was 12 something) so its not that. But can't get enough of it! I have to crunch it too!
I drink about 3 cups of water at least a day just to eat the ice out of it! lol
I love to chew on ice anytime, but I did have some yesterday and really enjoyed and am about to go get some now!!

#134 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MelW View Post
You mean your extra roomy pelvis
? I'm much bigger this time than last, and I get still get small comments. Neela was under 7 lbs, but most people guessed she'd be even smaller. I chalk it up to a huge roomy pelvis where she could hide

yeah, roomy pelvis and nice wide, long torso. congrats on your last day of work!!!
:

peony, sucks about your foot and dd's tummy
. get better soon, everyone!

#135 ·
Thanks everyone. Still definitely limping around but the throbbing is less today, so far anyway. Course now between the stomach bug, now my foot, and somewhere even though we barely went out this week, DD2 also managed to pick up a cold, my children are going insane from boredom, driving me nuts in the process!
:

#136 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peony View Post
Thanks everyone. Still definitely limping around but the throbbing is less today, so far anyway. Course now between the stomach bug, now my foot, and somewhere even though we barely went out this week, DD2 also managed to pick up a cold, my children are going insane from boredom, driving me nuts in the process!
:
Hey, just a thought. If you've got a chance to put your foot up today and happen to have a green cabbage lying around, put a cabbage leaf on your foot. We were just at a bf class last night and they were talking about cabbage leaves and apparently they're not just effective against engorgement, but any type of swelling. who knew?

#137 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
Hey, just a thought. If you've got a chance to put your foot up today and happen to have a green cabbage lying around, put a cabbage leaf on your foot. We were just at a bf class last night and they were talking about cabbage leaves and apparently they're not just effective against engorgement, but any type of swelling. who knew?
I made a call to a client at Christmas, and she was using brussels sprouts leaves for engorgement. She said it was a pain to pull the leaves off and arrange them in her bra, though

Peony, I hope everyone is feeling better soon!

I like ice chips, too, and am also not anemic. They're just refreshing

#138 ·
I want ice chips too. Something strange has happened to my teeth, though. They don't fit together anymore. And they're very tender. It's hard to chew anything, especially small things with elasticity like these spring rolls I was trying to eat last night. My teeth won't close all the way down to tear up the rice paper, so it sort of gets pressed but stays intact. So.. no ice chewing for me :\

#139 ·
Just had another BBP US and finally he showed us his profile! He has a nose! I was slightly worried (the dr was not the 1st tri screening came back good) about it and the fact that an absent nasal bone was a sign of TS21. So yea he wanted mommmy to know today!

#140 ·
36 weeks today!! Whoo-Hooo!

Having mildly crampy contractions down in my cervix/along the bikini line each night and in the morning. Regular ol' tight all over, but painless BH during the day.

This afternoon, my husband and I are headed over to be interviewed for a TV show on midwifery care and natural childbirth.
: As the president of our local midwifery organization, I've been working with the producers for about a year on this TV series concept, and it looks like it's coming to fruition!!! They very well may come video our homebirth to show on the series as well. Which is both very exciting, and a little weird all at once.

Having maternity pictures done here in the next week or so... Have to finalize the date with my photographer.

And my BIL (who I've known since I was 16 and who introduced me to my husband) and his wife decided that they are likely going to switch to me for their birth. So, I may get to catch my own nephew this summer!!!!! How amazing would that be?!?!?!?
:

And my youngest turned 5 this week. I can't believe how fast it's gone by!

And my husband (also self-employed) just received a check from a project his been working on that we've been waiting on to buy stuff for the baby. So, now that the check is here, now we get to shop!!!

It's been a great week.

#141 ·
Wow! So much going on with everyone today - I can hardly keep up! I'm 35 weeks today and definitely starting to feel excited/anxious and all of that. I'm ready to get through the next few weeks and actually be holidng my babe.

Mel, congrats on your last day of work!

As for the twin comments, Lindsay, I posted a bit of a rant on my blog about stupid stuff that people say to pregnant women!

Tomorrow is my baby shower, and I have mixed feelings about it because I feel so awkward being in a position where people might feel obligated to give gifts.
: I asked the hostess to specifically say on the invitation that we prefer hand-me-downs, but I still feel weird. I'm hoping it will be fun!

#142 ·
Hi everyone! I'm feeling so big and tired and do not know how I am only 33 weeks! The baby's kicks and movements are painful sometimes now! Anyone else?

It's not that I think the baby is big... I guess it could be, but I have gained 20 lbs. less this time than my last two pgs. But it does seem like the baby has run out of room in there!

#143 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MelW View Post
I made a call to a client at Christmas, and she was using brussels sprouts leaves for engorgement. She said it was a pain to pull the leaves off and arrange them in her bra, though

I'm picturing this. very funny.

#144 ·
just woke up from a little nap....got rather scolded by the mw today for choosing curtain-making over sleep
. I feel much better and I think I'll have a cuppa joe and indulge in some nesting. We're having a "last hurrah" party tomorrow...last party before baby comes and the house is a little messy!

#146 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by scraphappy-Red View Post
Ooohhh! Wobblykate, you are a naughty girl
. Ha-ha! I bet the curtains are just lovely!

Yes, as long as you don't look too close and see that they're not exactly the right length, or even the same length, heehee. DH made me take a nap today, so I had lots of energy to finish putting things together in the nursery. I just have a few things left to do. I need another photo frame for the pic of my mom and dad. We have pictures of all the grandparents and great grandparents in the baby's room. Also want write the baby's name in rope and hang over the crib...like this. I think what I'll do is get some rope and bailing wire and tie the bailing wire to the back side of the rope with fishing line. This is of course, at the bottom of the priority list

I washed my homemade fitted dipes for the first time today and they held up really well, but boy howdy fitteds take a looooong time to dry! Even my store-bought kissaluvs seemed to take forever! I wonder if I switched the dryer back to regular heat after I dried some delicates...worth looking into. My brain is not what it used to be.

#147 ·
Alright so I'm feelinf almost all set for this lo. Only have 2 things left to do!

Back the bag for the hospital- too early still but did get my toileteries bag done.

And am just waiting on my CDs but I did a big custom order and they won't be here till the very end of march.
Then will have to wash them all.I am almost as excited to see them as I am to see lo!lol

I do have a ? about washing them and yes I asked in the diapering forum but baby brain is so bad I can't remember anything I was told. Sorry but I hope some one can help and this time i promise to write it down!

-What should i wash them in?
-Can i wash them w/the few used ones I've found?
-Is there anything special I need to do to the used ones?
-Ok and how do I wash them? Regular wash on warm or hot? 2 rinses and air dry them or can i dry them on say med? My high is really hot- seems to shrink even regular clothes.
-Is there anything I've forgotten or need to know about washing?

Thanx to anyone who can help! I'm kinda a newbie in this area and feel a little insecure about it all!

#148 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fairymom View Post

-What should i wash them in? I used Tide with DDs FB but I'm looking into using Charlies Soap, Planet Detergent, or 7th Generation...Most I think use the Charlies Soap and like it but I've heard for all these it's best to use them on everything so your washer doesn't get build up from non natural detergents...I'm still up in the air about this.

-Can i wash them w/the few used ones I've found? If you got any hemp you'll have to boil the new ones and wash seperatly a few times to get them ready. I will probably wash my new ones for the first time seperate from the used ones I bought just to make sure things don't cross over...but it may be fine to wash them together.
-Is there anything special I need to do to the used ones?As I said above, hemp you do have to prep...It takes a while...I think I boiled them 3 times for 5-10 min each and then washed them twice. The others I just washed them in the normal cold rinse, hot wash, cold rinse cycle.
-Ok and how do I wash them? Regular wash on warm or hot? 2 rinses and air dry them or can i dry them on say med? My high is really hot- seems to shrink even regular clothes.I did a cold rinse with baking soda sprinkled, hot wash with 1/4 tide and 1/4 oxiclean, (take out wet bags and hang) cold rinse with baking soda sprinkled, then dry wet bags and dipes on med/high. The oxiclean was recommended for our DDs Fuzzi Bunz when we had a smelly problem by the FB company but I won't use this on the other dipes as I'm not sure it'd be good for them...this will be more difficult figuring out with all the different types of dipes we have this time, last time it was only med FB since DD was 14 months. But I'm excited about trying new dipes!
-Is there anything I've forgotten or need to know about washing?It may take some time to get used to your routine...every babies urine is differnet so if you have smelly problems it may take time to figure out how to get them out, ie vinegar, baking soda, oxiclean(?), differnet detergent etc. But once you get it down you'll be smooth sailing...so don't give up!!!

Thanx to anyone who can help! I'm kinda a newbie in this area and feel a little insecure about it all!
All my responses are in red...I was frustrated when we couldn't figure out DDs sitation with leaking and smelly but like I said once I got that figured out (probably a few months) then I LOVED my CD! I could have done sposies for this one till she fit DDs FB or till she fit the OS pockets I bought but I just love it so much I want to cloth her from birth (well after the meconium (sp?) is gone). HOpe you enjoy it as much as I do! I know some others who read this will think I'm crazy but CDing can be a fun and addictive activity-in a good way
!

#149 ·
Now I have a question... Is it too late to start hypnobirthing? Are the Cds expensive and where is the best place to get them? I'm thinking I might want to do this...I liked in another post that someone mentioned breathing the baby out instead of pushing the baby out. I did bradley last time but i think I could use some hypno help too, I pushed for an hour last time and tore alot...For those who used Hypnobirthing before what did you like about it and really what is it? Thanks!!!

ETA: Forgot to mention..I"ve had what feels like a swollen throat the last 4 days. I'm not sure if it is a pregnancy thing, weather change thing(it's getting cooler again here in Iowa after our 70 degreee heat wave
) or from the 3 times I vomited with this flu bug a few days ago. It's just uncomfy but doesn't hurt...any suggestions on natural soothers?

#150 ·
Thank you Shine. No I don't have any hemp diapers but thank you for the info.I'll keep it case I need it for later. I've already become a little addicted to CDs- look for them whenever I'm shopping and check Craig's list almost daily.I am even tempted to buy a sewing machine so i can make them mysefl.Dh is all for this cause if I get good enough I could sell them and any income helps at this point! Most of my diapes are from a WAHM I found on the net- I ordered OS of pockets (12) and AIOs (24).Dh wants them dummy proof (this is his 1st babe and 1st time w/cds also I have older dcs that will be helping out alot and want them to be able to use them too.). But I did find some newborn fitteds Kissiluvs and sm.wraps and some Lg. FB pockets (no inserts
) at a 2nd hand store for $4.50 ea.I will be making some inserts and doublers.

I did Cd my dd 7 and ds4 but when they were older.So I am trying to relearn things here.

I've never used hynobirth sorry I can't help you.And I hope you feel better soon.Have you tried drinking OJ for your throat? I always found that helps me- just can't drink any juice right now because of the gd!

#151 ·
ShineliketheSon, I hope you're feeling better soon!

Pregnant_Midwife, I hope the interview and show go well! Let us know if we can watch it online

My husband and daughter have gone to visit MIL for the weekend, so I have some time at home alone! The US taxes are almost finished and I've started on the Canadian taxes, I sewed a pair of recycled wool longies, and am generally getting stuff done! (But still on "increased rest" for the contractions- so resisting the temptation to move furniture and deep clean).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.