Planned hospital birther's thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 102 Old 04-21-2009, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm nervous about it as well. That's why I made up a list of important things to remind my dh about doing and making sure staff does as well.

I'm less concerned now that I an overdue and want baby out. But if I were to get the ob instead of the midwife I'd be concerned again. I don;t like the OB. I'm happy my induction is scheduled with the midwife being on duty. I feel less of a fight with her for things than if it were the midwife.

Unfortunatly, there is no way of knowing what we are up against with all the staff until we run into problems (or hopefully, don;t run into problems).

I hope we all have a smooth and easy birthing and don;t run into any problems where we have to put up a fight about everything. Last time some stuff wasn't quite how i wanted it, but it was either loose focus and go off, or stay in focus and have a smoother easier birth. Hence why I wrote it down for dh and told him he HAS to voice my opinions when i'm in labor because i can't

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#92 of 102 Old 04-21-2009, 01:54 PM

just wanted to tell you i delivered on the 9th at the same hospital and we handed our birth plan over first thing. Every thing went as planned and very smoothly. I was pretty much left alone till it was time to push I just wanted to tell you good luck and I hope your birth goes as smooth as mine did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph12334 View Post
I'm nervous about it as well. That's why I made up a list of important things to remind my dh about doing and making sure staff does as well.

I'm less concerned now that I an overdue and want baby out. But if I were to get the ob instead of the midwife I'd be concerned again. I don;t like the OB. I'm happy my induction is scheduled with the midwife being on duty. I feel less of a fight with her for things than if it were the midwife.

Unfortunatly, there is no way of knowing what we are up against with all the staff until we run into problems (or hopefully, don;t run into problems).

I hope we all have a smooth and easy birthing and don;t run into any problems where we have to put up a fight about everything. Last time some stuff wasn't quite how i wanted it, but it was either loose focus and go off, or stay in focus and have a smoother easier birth. Hence why I wrote it down for dh and told him he HAS to voice my opinions when i'm in labor because i can't

My name is Lindsay I am a full time wife to Nick 10-21-08 and full time mommy to Cadence, Irie and Isis

#93 of 102 Old 05-15-2009, 02:46 PM

So those who had planned hospital births...was there anything you wish had been done different or didn't go as planned due to hospital issues...

I didn't end up laboring at home long as planned, I just didn't feel comfortable with DD1 and my mom in the house, so we ended up at the hospital earlier than I thought but active labor was happening so it didn't matter too much.

My only complaint is the rude nurse I had in the beginning who stayed through the birth though she remained silent as my doula and midwife were in control, I should have asked for another nurse. She had no right to tell me I should have came in right when my water broke and to say I had to have fluids the entire time and then to say "I'm not going to argue with you" about the hep lock. How can you be rude to a laboring women???? Ugh! Other than her we had wonderful nurses, the food was good, and we had time to relax as we had few visitors. DD2 roomed in with us and actually cosleeped with me and we were able to go home early. I would do another hospital birth here but I'd be prepared to ask for another nurse if needed.

One more minor complaint...the ped (not ours) we got to look over DD2 at hospital was soooo pushy about the vit K shot...gave us 3 lectures. We stuck to our guns and did NOT do it. The ped the next day was much better.
#94 of 102 Old 05-15-2009, 04:52 PM

Shine - The maternity triage nurse was a WITCH to me because I refused the "mandatory" gown and hep lock. She actually threw the gown on the counter and said "Oh my GAWD" when she left me in the bathroom.

Every other nurse and doc were amazing and all dramatic parts aside, I had a great hospital birth!
I also went in earlier than I wanted to BUT I was pretty scared of accidentally having the baby at home, so Im glad I went in early. I was NOT expecting the labor to be as...monstrous(only word to describe) so Im disappointed I didnt walk around more! I just laid in bed the whole time!!!

wife. dd1 : dd2
#95 of 102 Old 05-16-2009, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

besides the hep lock being horridly painful (due to me rolling veins) it ws SO much better than i expected!!

Nurses were wonderful with my birht. I think i had more due to it being natural and they kinda hung out with me and my midwife. It was great to be able to have some girl talk and laughing while going through labor. I hope if i have another it can be that great!

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#96 of 102 Old 05-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
So those who had planned hospital births...was there anything you wish had been done different or didn't go as planned due to hospital issues...

Things did not go as planned but was not due to the hospital staff in any way. My baby was in distress prior to labor and pooped and even worse sucked it into her lungs(which doesn't always happen) and so labor was too hard on her poor little heart. I was very happy with my CNM and the OB was even better. The CNM wanted to put the EFM in her scalp as soon as her poor heart rate was discovered and when the OB came in she saw we were a little freaked and calmed every one down but we ended up with it anyway as her heart rate deteriorated quickly and into an emergency c-section we went. The CNM took pictures for us that I was able too look at on the digital camer while they were stitching me up. That was such a blessing and made me feel more contected to the event of birth and was my first glimps of my daughter as she was being intubated instead of being cuddled.

Overall the entire staff were friendly cheerful and very helpful. We had zero probelms declining the vax, eye junk and K shot.

I am still in shock that after having four drug free vaginal deliveries 3 of which were at home and now this. It's been a bitter pill to swallow.
#97 of 102 Old 05-18-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotJabanero View Post
Things did not go as planned but was not due to the hospital staff in any way. My baby was in distress prior to labor and pooped and even worse sucked it into her lungs(which doesn't always happen) and so labor was too hard on her poor little heart. I was very happy with my CNM and the OB was even better. The CNM wanted to put the EFM in her scalp as soon as her poor heart rate was discovered and when the OB came in she saw we were a little freaked and calmed every one down but we ended up with it anyway as her heart rate deteriorated quickly and into an emergency c-section we went. The CNM took pictures for us that I was able too look at on the digital camer while they were stitching me up. That was such a blessing and made me feel more contected to the event of birth and was my first glimps of my daughter as she was being intubated instead of being cuddled.

Overall the entire staff were friendly cheerful and very helpful. We had zero probelms declining the vax, eye junk and K shot.

I am still in shock that after having four drug free vaginal deliveries 3 of which were at home and now this. It's been a bitter pill to swallow.
I'm so sorry, mama. It's a loss, to be sure, of the birth you planned and wanted. HUGS to you.

And I keep meaning to thank you for remembering William and Soren in your signature line. It means so much, and it makes my heart swell every time I see it. :

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#98 of 102 Old 05-18-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotJabanero View Post

I also had a perfect first birth, at home and in the water. This one will definitely take some time getting over. DH and I always joked that this pregnancy was the exact opposite of dd1, so the birth will be too. Boy were we right!!!

Oh, I forgot to mention, the nurses and docs in the NICU have the birth plan tucked into Sophias medical binder still. They still ask me permission or call me before doing things like giving her a bath or trying a pacifier. They really respected all my wishes! (well, as much as they could)

wife. dd1 : dd2
#99 of 102 Old 05-18-2009, 07:54 PM

As I mentioned in the other thread, my birth did not go as planned and ended in a c-section. I am not very happy with the OB on call, to say the least, but then the baby was almost two weeks overdue which conflicts with their policy. However, my birth plan was followed in all other respects; the nurses (except for one who was a bit of a slacker) were great and helpful with the baby and breastfeeding and my emotional turmoils.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#100 of 102 Old 05-18-2009, 09:31 PM

mine was amazing. my midwife had sent my birth plan to the hospital in advance, which was good, as the weren't wild about some things. but she put her foot down and no one gave me grief. i almost got the same nurse whom i had for DD1, but requested NOT to have her.

pretty much the only differences between my hospital birth and a home birth were that I HAD to have a hep lock (otherwise my midwife wouldn't have been able to deliver me and I'd have to go with the on-call OB) and when DD needed oxygen, we had to cut the cord earlier than planned in order to bring her to the oxygen, as opposed to bringing the oxygen to us. (my midwife actually delivered her youngest child at home, so she's VERY natural/unfettered supportive)
#101 of 102 Old 05-20-2009, 10:11 PM

I think my nurse (and all the nurses) was amazing, my doctor was good but surprised me by being VERY different than she was in the office. I labored to 5 cm at home, then to seven cm in the tub, then was begging for the epidural by 8 cm. So, not as I had planned things, but I'm still pretty much at peace with how things went. Its easy to forgive other people for things but I'm kind of having trouble forgiving myself for getting the epidural, but at the time I was pretty freakin happy about my decision. Somehow I ended up with about 12 people in my room, nurses and student nurses and who knows who else was in there, as I was pushing, everyone coaching me- it was surreal. The mirror totally helped me focus and get baby out once I could see his sweet little head, unfortunately it also distracted and somewhat upset me when I pooped on the table. Overall despite all the stuff that did not go as planned, it was a healing experience and each choice was my own, not someone else's, so I got back some of my power.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#102 of 102 Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Dawn View Post
I'm so sorry, mama. It's a loss, to be sure, of the birth you planned and wanted. HUGS to you.

And I keep meaning to thank you for remembering William and Soren in your signature line. It means so much, and it makes my heart swell every time I see it. :
Thank you for your support it means alot. William and Soren really hit home for me and I think of you all daily. My sis lost her 14 yo daughter last year and while it was not my own it is still very painful and watching my sister and her dh is both heartning (they have deep and unconditional faith and love they will see her again) and deeply sad. There is nothing harder than losing a sweet child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
I also had a perfect first birth, at home and in the water. This one will definitely take some time getting over. DH and I always joked that this pregnancy was the exact opposite of dd1, so the birth will be too. Boy were we right!!!)
I haven't been on here much since the babe was born so I had to search out your story. Sounds like it was a bit crazy. I was at a birth of my sisters who had a 11.6 baby and had shoulder dystocia not a bit fun and with heart issues to boot I should not be complaining.

[QUOTE=FischK;13787619]As I mentioned in the other thread, my birth did not go as planned and ended in a c-section. I am not very happy with the OB on call, to say the least, but then the baby was almost two weeks overdue which conflicts with their policy.QUOTE]

I'm sorry it did not go well and c-section recovery sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyN View Post
mine was amazing. my midwife had sent my birth plan to the hospital in advance, which was good, as the weren't wild about some things. but she put her foot down and no one gave me grief. i almost got the same nurse whom i had for DD1, but requested NOT to have her.

pretty much the only differences between my hospital birth and a home birth were that I HAD to have a hep lock (otherwise my midwife wouldn't have been able to deliver me and I'd have to go with the on-call OB) and when DD needed oxygen, we had to cut the cord earlier than planned in order to bring her to the oxygen, as opposed to bringing the oxygen to us. (my midwife actually delivered her youngest child at home, so she's VERY natural/unfettered supportive)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherweh View Post
I think my nurse (and all the nurses) was amazing, my doctor was good but surprised me by being VERY different than she was in the office. I labored to 5 cm at home, then to seven cm in the tub, then was begging for the epidural by 8 cm. So, not as I had planned things, but I'm still pretty much at peace with how things went. Its easy to forgive other people for things but I'm kind of having trouble forgiving myself for getting the epidural, but at the time I was pretty freakin happy about my decision. Somehow I ended up with about 12 people in my room, nurses and student nurses and who knows who else was in there, as I was pushing, everyone coaching me- it was surreal. The mirror totally helped me focus and get baby out once I could see his sweet little head, unfortunately it also distracted and somewhat upset me when I pooped on the table. Overall despite all the stuff that did not go as planned, it was a healing experience and each choice was my own, not someone else's, so I got back some of my power.

I'm so glad to hear things went well it seems for most!!!
Please don't beat yourself up for the epidural. I agree though it is easier to give others the allowance to be human than it is to give ourselves some slack.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page