Weekly Chat: *March 8-March 14... - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 170 Old 03-13-2009, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Something so nice about the HB midwives is that they seem to do more by feel than the hospital-based CNMs (and I've never seen an OB so don't know about that...). And, they say they can hear where the placenta is on the fetoscope. Anyway, many weeks ago one of them helped us (DH and me) to feel the head (which was down). That was neat! I never had anyone do that with my first pregnancy. Baby has been head down and with its back along my right side for at least 2 months now- I think longer. Hiccups are ALWAYS in the same spot. Anyway, maybe thats part of why I look smaller this time? Baby isn't sticking OUT as far.

dissertating mom to three

#152 of 170 Old 03-13-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=emmaegbert;13359084]Something so nice about the HB midwives is that they seem to do more by feel than the hospital-based CNMs (and I've never seen an OB so don't know about that...). And, they say they can hear where the placenta is on the fetoscope. QUOTE]

Not all Hospital CNMs are different from HB midwives... we just had our appointment this morning and the midwives have always only checked position by feeling...today DD (4) got to feel where the baby's head and knee were...she was so excited about the head being down (we've talked about this) she said "She's ready to come out now!". Well getting ready...but we still have 4-6 weeks to go!
#153 of 170 Old 03-13-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbanmama View Post
We have absolutely no money, I have no insurance, yet was denied for state medical assistance. How will I pay the midwife? I'm concerned.
Can you work out payment plan with the mw? Mine just wanted an explanation and an effort, thats it. When times were tough, we paid our mw $30 a month. We JUST paid off DD:
Maybe voice some of your concerns to her, they are also a great networking tool, maybe you could find a new bed or work for DH or maybe trade with the mw!

wife. dd1 : dd2
#154 of 170 Old 03-13-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
Something so nice about the HB midwives is that they seem to do more by feel than the hospital-based CNMs (and I've never seen an OB so don't know about that...). And, they say they can hear where the placenta is on the fetoscope. Anyway, many weeks ago one of them helped us (DH and me) to feel the head (which was down). That was neat! I never had anyone do that with my first pregnancy. Baby has been head down and with its back along my right side for at least 2 months now- I think longer. Hiccups are ALWAYS in the same spot. Anyway, maybe thats part of why I look smaller this time? Baby isn't sticking OUT as far.
My BC/Hospital MW did that in January...and has helped me find the head every time since...but I think ours are special . Actually, it probably depends on the person. My baby is in exactly that same position and I think that definitely makes me look smaller than someone who is posterior...plus I have a wide torso/ribcage for her to hide in. Congrats on passing your exam!!::

herbanmama on the finiance issue...we're okay for a couple of months and then

Yay, Nancy!! Glad baby is head down! Very cool.

fairymom, hope cx let up until it's really time...would be hard to get anything done...Same to you, MelW--take it easy.

I'm hungry these days, mostly in the AM...in the PM right before bed I get some indigestion, but nothing super serious. God, I just hope the chiro can do something about my fingers :. They are totally distracting me...the right ones are numb and now my left wrist has decided to start popping all the time. annoying.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#155 of 170 Old 03-13-2009, 03:40 PM

Last time I went to the OB, he told me I was right on about the baby's placement...of course I didn't remind him he had told me head down last time, and the only other big round thing to poke would be the rear!! But oh well! This babe has been head for as long as I could tell, with it's rear along my left side, kicking into the center of my belly, where the placenta is (it's anterior) I don't remember anyone ever telling me before so I just asked this time around...but I haven't felt hiccups yet...hmmm...

We have discussions about money...a lot, my dh is self employed contractor too...and there isn't much work...thankfully, he finally started doing something else in December to help pay the bills(along with the contractor jobs)...I think he liked it better when he could take it easy in the winter months, but is feeling pressure from being a dad and didn't want to do that now...makes me happy!!! I was feeling a bit resentful about it, because one reason we put off having a baby for a few years was financial, then decided to just go for it, now he is sooo worried it drives me nuts sometimes...

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#156 of 170 Old 03-13-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Dawn View Post
I don't care if I have a Pisces or an Aries. I just want to not be pg anymore.
Amen Sista!!! I couldn't agree more!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbanmama View Post
On a lighter note, I have almost completely purchase all items on my birth kit list.
Ok...you'll be my inspiration to get my stuff wrapped up! I just hate pestering hubby to get this done too...he's got the whole household on his shoulders right now...but at 37 weeks, it's really time to have all of that stuff prepared! But my water birth pool got delivered yesterday. Yippie! I'm tempted to set it up in the living room, put the kids in swimsuits and play in the pool all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
And, they say they can hear where the placenta is on the fetoscope.
My placenta is anterior so it's on the front, so my mw has had a hard time finding the heartbeat through the entire pregnancy. Luckily, she's been doing midwifery for over 20 years...so I know I'm in expert hands. Although, there is a slightly higher chance of the baby coming out sunny-side-up because they like to face their placenta at the start of labor. AND two of my three children have been delivered in non-normal positions. DS came out sideways (with the help of forceps...ouch!) and DD#2 came out elbow first...double ouch! My babies are so naughty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
I'm hungry these days, mostly in the AM...in the PM right before bed I get some indigestion, but nothing super serious.
Me too!!! And when I'm hungry in the morning, I'm hungry for a real meal...so I'll usually eat up the dinner left-overs, or have a steak or yesterday I had a huge bowl of left-over chicken noodle soup and two pieces of buttered bread for breakfast. But then I'm not so hungry in the evenings and usually have heartburn instead. Weird!
#157 of 170 Old 03-13-2009, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
I just hope the chiro can do something about my fingers :. They are totally distracting me...the right ones are numb and now my left wrist has decided to start popping all the time. annoying.
I am really starting to get grossed out by my "sausage fingers". I've been lucky when it comes to swelling for the most part, but lately I really feel that I have sausage fingers!!!! I don't like the looks or the way they feel.

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#158 of 170 Old 03-13-2009, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
Can you work out payment plan with the mw? Mine just wanted an explanation and an effort, thats it. When times were tough, we paid our mw $30 a month. We JUST paid off DD:
Maybe voice some of your concerns to her, they are also a great networking tool, maybe you could find a new bed or work for DH or maybe trade with the mw!

I second talking to them... alot of times they can work something out. Here there is a HB midwife who sees clients that don't have insurance and have difficulty paying, but I think they then have to give birth at the county hospital with an OB there. I'd think there would have to be someone who can help you.
#159 of 170 Old 03-13-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraphappy-Red View Post

My placenta is anterior so it's on the front, so my mw has had a hard time finding the heartbeat through the entire pregnancy. Luckily, she's been doing midwifery for over 20 years...so I know I'm in expert hands. Although, there is a slightly higher chance of the baby coming out sunny-side-up because they like to face their placenta at the start of labor. AND two of my three children have been delivered in non-normal positions. DS came out sideways (with the help of forceps...ouch!) and DD#2 came out elbow first...double ouch! My babies are so naughty!
My placenta is anterior too I'm hoping it doesn't cause me problems. DD came out with her fist next to her head and that tore me pretty bad...but that was easly dealt with I don't want any other problems during delivery.
#160 of 170 Old 03-13-2009, 05:33 PM

Oh, I should have been clear that I was just talking about the couple of CNMs that I've seen... not characterized them all... it just was so fun to have the chance for some guidance on what the heck I am feeling in there.

Overall its just been really nice to have the care of the HB MW (who also has 20 years of experience!) and her assistant, they are so calm and supportive, and I've been through a lot of stress this pregnancy like breaking my teeth, getting a gd diagnosis, having to pass my quals, etc (and ladies, I hear you on the financial pressures! I am a student and my husband works as a theatrical prop fabricator- and has been laid off for up to 4 months- and in San Diego there aren't THAT many places he can go work! especially if he wants to get paid for it!)

#161 of 170 Old 03-13-2009, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I had an appt. with my reproductive psychiatrist this morning which was so uplifting. I do a lot of negative self-talk and she's been really helpful at getting me out of that rut. I've been feeling guilty about taking time to myself lately and she totally reassured me that I need to do that, especially at this point in a pregnancy

So, I'm allowing myself to relax guilt-free today. Ahhhh.....

(although I had another diet pepsi today and I'm' feel guilty about that. No more, I promise)

i'm still getting tons of contractions, but nothing regular.

this weekend should be fun... St Patrick's Day Parade is Sunday!! Hopefull the rain will hold off. What are your fun plans for the weekend??
#162 of 170 Old 03-13-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreen View Post
This can be so hard...I feel guilty when dh is working and feel like I should be cleaning all the tme...but today I decided to take it easy and just relax and only do a few things

Quote:
this weekend should be fun... St Patrick's Day Parade is Sunday!! Hopefull the rain will hold off. What are your fun plans for the weekend??
not much: this is our first weekend w/o plans in 2 months and I NEED it! I think I'll do some baking...I've got a lot of eggs to use up.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#163 of 170 Old 03-13-2009, 08:22 PM

emmaegbert~ Congrats on passing your quals ::

We've had a not-so-great week of financial news, too. A former colleague of my husband's won some kind of arbitration and is now going to be teaching the extra class that my husband was going to have over the summer. Then the rejection letters for grants and awards came in the mail (not money we were counting on, but that would have been amazing). So now I'll hope for tax returns. I have to admit to having an amazing history of financial luck- I never count on anything until it comes and with my husband doing freelance work we often get happy surprises in the mail

My father-in-law and his girlfriend are visiting this weekend- we're having dinner with them this evening, and they're going to take my daughter out for a couple of hours tomorrow. Other than that, I'm just planning a lot of resting and a little nesting. Oh, and a community garden meeting on Sunday where I'll get to unveil our cool new website

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#164 of 170 Old 03-14-2009, 09:38 AM

Emma, congrats on passing your quals! That's an amazing accomplishment, especially at this stage in pregnancy. Hooray!!

I can hardly keep up with y'all these days! So many new posts everyday!

I am doing OK. My MW told me on Wedndesday I have trace ketones in my urine, so she's pushing me on protein protein protein. : I went and bought some protein powder to make a smoothie with and have been trying to be more conscious about it, but gah. What am I supposed to eat red meat at every meal? Annoying.

This weekend we're buying mattresses for the baby room bed (where I'll be sleeping with baby for the foreseeable future) and then Jason and I are going on a date! : A friend of ours gave us a gift certificate to a nice restaurant and offered to have Brynn over so we can go enjoy ourselves. I'm really excited!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#165 of 170 Old 03-14-2009, 12:04 PM

My midwife is pushing me on the protein diet too. She said to eat ONLY protein this weekend. How??

I'm finally at 36 weeks and MW says that I can stop worrying about trying to stop labor (I had been having lots of BHC and was taking cramp bark (barf) to slow them down), so that made me feel so much better. I had been freaking out about having the baby too soon, but if she thinks he's big enough and that he'll be alright if he comes now, I think I'm ready for it to happen.

I have been eating constantly... I get hungry every hour and a half or so. I'm sick of eating!
#166 of 170 Old 03-14-2009, 12:45 PM

Amy and Laurilj, I'm a vegetarian on a pretty darn low-carb diet to control GD (which is working). I hear you about the protein, protein, protein. But for me its no mammals, fish, or birds either. I am eating 6x per day in a planned-out way, rather than 3 meals and then snacking to hunger. So I eat approximately every 3 hours (like: 6, 9, 12, 3, 6, 9). Every time I eat I include some protein and fat. Snacks include one fruit, and meals contain almost no carbs except what occurs in veggies or beans. I am eating TONS of vegetables, usually a sizable serving at all 3 meals. I've lost about 12 lbs and I am currently only 10lbs up from my pre-preg weight, so all that fat and constant eating is not packing on the lbs. (I wouldn't say that is a good goal for anyone pregnant to have, but just that it did NOT make me gain weight faster, and I feel like I am constantly eating and all that crazy pregnancy hunger has just totally disappeared.)

I don't know how strict your MWs really want you to be, but I eat a lot of nuts, seeds, cheese, eggs, quinoa (v. high protein grain also cooks up in 15 minutes), hummos, seitan, tofu, tempeh, beans (check protein/carb content b/c beans vary a lot), cottage cheese, peanut butter. Anyway, just to say that it doesn't have to be meat meat meat. You can add chopped nuts or toasted seeds to many things and its quite yummy. I know a lot of people are worked up about soy- I am conscious of it and don't eat more than one serving per day of it, but I don't stress it too much b/c there are phytoestrogens in lots of foods and I think as varied a diet as possible is probably more important for health.

#167 of 170 Old 03-14-2009, 12:59 PM

Hello mamas!

Well last night I had a really great date w/dh- we figure it'll be the last before lo gets here! I got to eat Chinese food (not something I can do regularily becuase of GD- too ify on carbs). Yummy.

Those who were told to eat lots of protien- were you told just red meat or protien in general. I ask because w/the GD its all about protien and limited carbs. And there are a lot of things that are good sources of protien- not just redmeat. Shrimp actually and of course beans/legumes. And cheese. GL!
#168 of 170 Old 03-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:

It is going to get REALLY hard to do things guilt-free after the baby is born, believe me. You have to remember that a healthy mom is WAY better for your baby and that a pedicure or a coffee out with friends or even a NAP guilt-free is going to be the best thing to keep you sane.

And you guys can all use the preg as an excuse too for not cleaning, right? Ill say, "no, I didnt get laundry done today, sorry. I was too busy creating a circulatory system/growing tiny fingernails/fattening up this baby/etc." What is ANYONE going to say to that?!

wife. dd1 : dd2
#169 of 170 Old 03-14-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
Those who were told to eat lots of protien- were you told just red meat or protien in general. GL!
No, I was just being dramatic. I don't eat seafood (gross!) but I do eat cheese, nuts, quinoa & legumes. I mean, really, I'll be fine...it just makes eating a chore - even more than it usually is. Sigh. Woe is me! (I'm just feeling sorry for myself.)

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#170 of 170 Old 03-14-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
It is going to get REALLY hard to do things guilt-free after the baby is born, believe me. You have to remember that a healthy mom is WAY better for your baby and that a pedicure or a coffee out with friends or even a NAP guilt-free is going to be the best thing to keep you sane.
Softball is what keeps me sane. I'm bringing the goo-goo, though, since Danny will be there to watch it while I play. Some good fresh air does us all good and it'll be nice to get the baby used to people. Woot!

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page