Weekly Chat: *March 8-March 14... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well it's 3:24am and I'm up so might as well start the new weekly chat and I can ask my question about the reason I'm up... I just figured out when I got up to go potty that my throat and stomach issue is not from being sick last week or the weather but acid reflux.: I've never had this before...I have read it's totally normal for preggos in third tri to get this. Any advice on natural rememdies. Tonight I will take a tums, drink some water and try to elevate my upper body some, but want to know other things (don't want to take too many tums!) I didn't have all these issues with my first pregnancy, this little gal is giving me everything under the sun! THanks and hope you all are sleeping well!!!!
#2 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 07:18 AM

Me, too... never had it before until lame-o pregnancy. Now I get it frequently. Basically, I just walk around a little and use gravity and drink some milk. I can usually get back to sleep relatively quickly -- but sometimes not. I try to stay propped up in bed a little, too.

I was sleeping well until it was time to feed the cats and the time chnage screwed everything up. Bleh.

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
#3 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 09:52 AM

I've read here a lot that papya enzyme works well for heart burn- maybe it works the same on acid reflux. I'm not sure because I haven't tired it. Maybe someone else will have a view for you. I actually slept pretty well last night for the 1st time in over a week. Still kind of out of it this am though. My cup of coffee hasn't has time to kick in yet.
#4 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 09:56 AM

I'm not thrilled about the time change either. It's going to be tough to get Brynn out of bed in time for us to get to school this week, I'm afraid. :

Lindsay, your post from last week's chat about people touching your tummy made me laugh. Surprisingly, that's the one thing I have actually never had to deal with in either of my pregnancies! Well, I do have a couple of friends who always ask to rub the belly when they see me, but I don't mind them doing it.

It's so pretty here this weekend!! DH and Brynn were outside all day yesterday, and are out already this morning, getting the garden going. I just love that we can actually be outside without getting frostbite!

Yesterday I had my baby shower, and it was nice and low-key, and we had the BEST. CAKE. EVER. My blessingway is on the 20th, which is what I am really looking forward to!

I know there is a whole thread about this already but I am having such a hard time getting anything done. I have so much clutter in what is now Brynn's closet that I want to try to sort out, but I swear I am just such a slug that I can't bring myself to do it! I feel like putting it all in garbage bags and just taking it to the Goodwill. Which I might do. I wish I had a clone of un-pregnant me to do all of the lifting and going down to the basement 50 times!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#5 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 10:40 AM

i get it horribly too and found to make it vanish at least for a few hours i WARM milk, i read about milk too but that just made it worse, i warm up some milk and put some sugar in it and after i drink it all is well!
#6 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Time change, blah. : I always complain that it had to of been created by someone who didn't have to deal in the after effects in children. It took me two months last time to get Gabrielle adjusted, and now back to square one again.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 01:39 PM

I forgot how uncomfortable this month was going to be. : I know it's nature's way of getting me used to not sleeping much, but jeeeeez... between the peeing and the rolling from one aching hip to the other... I think I'm just way too old for this!

Oh and I've been waiting for the new "True Fit" car seat to come out. They said end of Feb, beginning of March... but has it come out yet? Does anyone know or have you heard anything? I've googled but haven't found anything yet... *sigh* ETA: Is this it? The new one?

Last 2 wk MW appt wed, and then we go to every week. On one hand, I can't wait to not be pg anymore (oh my aching back! lol) and on the other, I still have a million things to do. I keep checking things off the list... and then I keep adding things to it!

And I'm stilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll waiting for DH to line the horse trough. His list is 10x longer than mine, and he's checked off maybe 2 things. *sigh* Why are men so damned unproductive??

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#8 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Dawn View Post
I forgot how uncomfortable this month was going to be. : I know it's nature's way of getting me used to not sleeping much, but jeeeeez... between the peeing and the rolling from one aching hip to the other... I think I'm just way too old for this!
oh god, groan...last night was the worst night for hip pain EVER. (and back pain and peeing...argh And then I couldn't figure out how I managed to sleep in until 9, but I realized it's because it's really 8 and I'm very tired.

Quote:
Last 2 wk MW appt wed, and then we go to every week. On one hand, I can't wait to not be pg anymore (oh my aching back! lol) and on the other, I still have a million things to do. I keep checking things off the list... and then I keep adding things to it!
I'm right there with you...I keep thinking of things I want to make or something I forgot....

Quote:
And I'm stilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll waiting for DH to line the horse trough. His list is 10x longer than mine, and he's checked off maybe 2 things. *sigh* Why are men so damned unproductive??
He still thinks he has all the time in the world, I'm sure.........they certainly have their own pace, don't they?

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#9 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Time change...thanks for reminding me
what time is it now? 10:09 that is so strange to loose an hour when you forget.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#10 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
Time change...thanks for reminding me
what time is it now? 10:09 that is so strange to loose an hour when you forget.
If you find it, let me know...'cause I'd like it back. hehe

#11 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
I know there is a whole thread about this already but I am having such a hard time getting anything done. I have so much clutter in what is now Brynn's closet that I want to try to sort out, but I swear I am just such a slug that I can't bring myself to do it! I feel like putting it all in garbage bags and just taking it to the Goodwill. Which I might do. I wish I had a clone of un-pregnant me to do all of the lifting and going down to the basement 50 times!
I'll make you a deal, Amy- you can take my contractions for a while and I'll come over and clean your house. Then you can lie around at my place while I clean up here, too.

I'm supposed to be getting more rest, but I want to vacuum! I keep "catching myself" starting to do too much, and get penalized by my uterus I hope that this energy lasts until I hit 37 weeks and clear for a homebirth, because I'm have some serious deep cleaning that I want to do!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#12 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice about my acid reflux. I ended up drinking lots of water and working on the computer so I was upright for an hour then went back to bed with my pillows stacked up. It took a while to fall back asleep and it was hard to wake up with the hour change but I've been okay today. I've been eating small meals all day as we are supposed to do anyway. And drinking lots of water and not laying down after I eat. My throat allready feels better.

Oh just bought 3 newborn bitty bun CD online, I love my dipes...can't wait to get them!

I put 3 med FB and a large Blueberry on craigslist so hopefully those sell so I can buy a few more newborn...

It is a gloomy gloomy weekend here. Not good for DH and my moods! :
#13 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 05:22 PM

I'm so tired today. DH is actually home and wants to get out of the house. I managed to drag myself to the grocery store this morning since i can finally wear some shoes on my foot again. Just that made me so tired and I came home and took a nap with DD2, now I don't want to move again.

#14 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:

Im the same way with dds room, it it FULL of stuff and I just cant seem to get the energy to go through it and make it ready for her sister!

wife. dd1 : dd2
#15 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Oh and I've been waiting for the new "True Fit" car seat to come out. They said end of Feb, beginning of March... but has it come out yet? Does anyone know or have you heard anything? I've googled but haven't found anything yet... *sigh* ETA: Is this it? The new one?
Hmmm, I heard that it was later now, maybe April and after, but it could be anyone's guess. That sounds like it on that site, but I've yet to hear about it actually being available on the car seat boards I visit, they'd definitely be talking about it.

#16 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 08:10 PM

As a long time reflux sufferer, I, personally am beyond natural measures and take a prescription med for it. Although, even with the prescription, now that I'm in my third trimester, having a little person push up on my stomach is still causing reflux. I take Tums when I need it (I find the smooth dissolve Tums leave a less awful aftertaste in my mouth in the morning than the regular tums) and that seems to be keeping the reflux in check for now. A "natural" solution that does seem to help is elevate your head and to lay on your right side. Anatomically, your esophagus goes straight down and into your stomach curves to the right drains into your duodenum on your right side. Laying on the right side seems to help keep the acid down into the stomach and allows it to move more easily toward the duodenum/ small intestine. Anecdotally, on bad nights, I can immediately feel more reflux when I roll on to my left side. Anyway, just a little thing to try along with other measures to help.

In other news: Does pushing a box spring up the stairs yourself and staying up until two AM two nights in a row assembling bookshelves just to get the blankety-blank house in order count as nesting ?

Okay... in my defense, my dad and his wife were coming up here for dinner last night for the first time and to celebrate his birthday and I wanted the house to be not the perpetual pit of chaos is has been since we moved in.

Oh... and I forgot to give my happy update from last week's midwife appointment-- they could finally tell that the baby is in fact heads down, so yay! My midwife did the external palpation to feel baby's position and said she *thought* he was head down, but would be able to confirm it if I was okay doing a vaginal exam (the other option was a U/S). Since we were doing the GBS swab anyway, I said to go ahead and do a vaginal exam. She did and immediately said-- "that is definitely a bony little head I'm feeling!"

I can't believe I'll be 37 weeks in 2 days! I am definitely at the "Anytime you want to come after Tuesday is fine with me!" stage. I mean, I am having a baby shower next Saturday, so after that would probably be the best, but the hip and pelvic pain (especially the last three days when I have been tornado-ing around the house trying to get it organized and cleaned up) have been awful. And, after the two nights of assembling bookshelves (doesn't ANY furniture come in one piece anymore?!) I've been having carpal tunnel problems on and off (fingers going numb). Speaking of which, I should probably stop typing .
#17 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 08:45 PM

still in back pain yuck over here. I'm going to try and go to work tomorrow though. Not really sure WHAT I am thinking but if its too much I'll just leave early. Being home alone all week made for a loooong and lonely week

I read somewhere that while milk does relieve the symptoms of heartburn/acid reflux it actually makes it worse in the long run. Apprently the milk does soothe but it causes your stomache to create more acid. I wish I had the resourse still but it was on my old computer.
Bread-y food helps me and the paypa enzymes but tums work so much better and faster It depends on how bad my reflux is on what I take.

My BH seem to be picking up. I'm starting to seriously think this may be a before the dd baby. Of course now that I said that it'll be a 42-weeker

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#18 of 170 Old 03-08-2009, 10:14 PM

I have less than two weeks left until c-section. This has helped to get the nesting underway. I've cleaned our room and vacuumed in there - including the blinds. I've also begun on the kids' room and have gotten their too small clothes out of there and will be putting those away and getting out the 18 mo and the 3t's. My mom broght our newborn boy clothes from her house, I hope I have the nb girl clothes here somewhere. So, I've got to get those ready. I've had two days of a bit of unproductivity. However, after reading all of your posts this week, I think that it is sufficiently inspiring for me to get back to work. I have made a list of to-dos that I'm proud of myself for.

My mom is here again to help me with my nesting and with my toddlers. We're supposed to be sewing diapers beginning today, but the kids are wearing her out. We'll see what happens.

I hope we all get a lot accomplished this week!
#19 of 170 Old 03-09-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievium View Post
I can't believe I'll be 37 weeks in 2 days! I am definitely at the "Anytime you want to come after Tuesday is fine with me!" stage. I mean, I am having a baby shower next Saturday, so after that would probably be the best, but the hip and pelvic pain (especially the last three days when I have been tornado-ing around the house trying to get it organized and cleaned up) have been awful. And, after the two nights of assembling bookshelves (doesn't ANY furniture come in one piece anymore?!) I've been having carpal tunnel problems on and off (fingers going numb). Speaking of which, I should probably stop typing .
: I could have written most of that! I'm 37 weeks on Thursday, although I'm hoping for 38-40 weeks...still need to do the taxes. The fingers numb thing is getting old. I'm going to call the chiro tonight and leave a message about getting an appointment.

Here's most of the reason for my back pain--nursery. I didn't push a box spring up the stairs, but I did try to put the bottom of my crib in myself...it didn't work and just left scratches. Even the instruction said it takes two people, but you know how it goes...you just feel like it has to be done NOW.

#20 of 170 Old 03-09-2009, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievium View Post
As a long time reflux sufferer, I, personally am beyond natural measures and take a prescription med for it. Although, even with the prescription, now that I'm in my third trimester, having a little person push up on my stomach is still causing reflux. I take Tums when I need it (I find the smooth dissolve Tums leave a less awful aftertaste in my mouth in the morning than the regular tums) and that seems to be keeping the reflux in check for now. A "natural" solution that does seem to help is elevate your head and to lay on your right side. Anatomically, your esophagus goes straight down and into your stomach curves to the right drains into your duodenum on your right side. Laying on the right side seems to help keep the acid down into the stomach and allows it to move more easily toward the duodenum/ small intestine. Anecdotally, on bad nights, I can immediately feel more reflux when I roll on to my left side. Anyway, just a little thing to try along with other measures to help.
Thanks for the advice and everyone else! I felt so much better today with eating smaller meals and drinking alot of water so we'll see how I sleep tonight.

Baby is moving sooo much! It just amazes me. DD sat feeling her for a good 15 min today just giggling. I LOVE IT! But still ready for her to come in 6 weeks!

I got alot done yesterday...I finally forced myself to get motivated, it was a rainy day and we NEEDED an activity. We hung up all the decor in room... I washed the swing, carseat and bouncer... I ordered a vinyle bible verse to put above the crib...I cleaned out the closet that used to be our catch all closet and moved it all in the basement. So now baby's room is done! I just have to wash the cloth diapers one of these days, but I'm waiting till I get all the used ones so I can wash them together. Funny thing is I took DD up to nap time and walked her right into the baby's room (she hasn't been in that room for months)...she looked at me and said mom you forgot! It was cute! I feel so much better it's all starting to come togehter.
#21 of 170 Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 AM

I really wish I knew what parts I am feeling wiggling around in here. I have my "positioning" scan on Friday and I just wish I could be more confident. I always feel hiccups down low, but there's so much poking and squirming that I just can't tell if this round thing up top is a head or a butt -- or neither! Aggravating!

Everything has gone super-well up to this point. I'd like to assume that everything is perfect, but I'm sure there will have to be at least one interesting snafu someplace. This is MY life, after all!

Always something to worry about! Meh.

#22 of 170 Old 03-09-2009, 08:36 AM

I'm sooo tired this morning. I had insomnia from around 3:30 until sometime after 6:00 (and of course needed to get up by 7:00) so I feel totally wiped out.

In other fabulous news, my stretch marks have arrived.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#23 of 170 Old 03-09-2009, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about the stretch marks, Amy . I had the worst night's sleep last night too. I just couldn't fall asleep and tossed and turned a lot. I do think the time changes is affecting me a little (DH couldn't sleep either) and I'm sure its the whole I'm in my 9th month of pregnancy thing as well. I have been telling people lately that I think I'm to the point where I'm ready to be done! Then I remember how everyone says it ony gets worse from here on out and I'm like yes, its all making sense now! I'm just ready to meet this little guy and get back to being "me". Anyone else there yet??

I have bad heartburn as well and I've had it throughout this whole pregnancy on and off. One of the times I woke up last night it was from heartburn. I was trying very hard to not take anything for it and try to help it naturally (almonds seem to work well) but I'm to the point where I usually pop one tums when I get it (sometimes two if its bad). I figure if I went this long w/o it its ok to take some now (doctor says its fine).

I had my small intimate shower with friends yesterday and it was soooooo nice!!

Oh, and in other news, it was near 60 degrees all weekend and I was able to bust out the flip flops (oh how my feet needed the fresh air) and today I woke up to snow/sleet! You have gotta love New England .

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#24 of 170 Old 03-09-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
Here's most of the reason for my back pain--nursery. I didn't push a box spring up the stairs, but I did try to put the bottom of my crib in myself...it didn't work and just left scratches. Even the instruction said it takes two people, but you know how it goes...you just feel like it has to be done NOW.
Ouch... but gorgeous nursery, Kate! You did a fantastic job (and no, I can't tell about the curtains. ) Hubbie still has his tools stored in our nursery. And hasn't fixed the little tent thing I bought for the baby the kids played in and broke, so that's still in the crib. And the co-sleeper and little pack n play are still in there, too. I imagine the car seat will get stored there until we need it.

I should clear it out and take some pictures, but I'm feeling soooo physically lazy. Mentally, my brain's going a mile a minute, but just no energy to carry through with all the lists, I'm afraid!

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#25 of 170 Old 03-09-2009, 11:58 AM

I have 15 lists! I keep losing one, starting a new one, find the old one, going oh I forgot that on this list! ACK. I feel like I have tons to do, and yet I am ready for babe, after 37 weeks of course.

I should take pics of our nursery too...except dh doesn't like the border I got if it's a boy, so I haven't finished it yet...I thought it was fine but he doesn't. There is also nothing on the walls yet. I plan to get some stuff, but it depends on the boy/girl thing, and we don't know! So I wait for now...I hope to have an US, but everything is fine and OB says no need to as long as everything is fine, so that's good, but I would like to get it done...BLAH Kate, your nursery is so pretty! I can't tell about the curtains either...we have no curtains...since the ones I got are too 'girly!" Sheesh, that is making me nuts. I wish he'd at least put up the new blinds I bought so no one could see in all the time!! LOL

I slept like poo last night too, but I had had 2 nights of decent sleep before that, so I suppose I can't complain, but I am exhausted today...even snuck some caffeine which I had cut out completely finally. Sheesh. At least I made the coffee half decaf/half regular! My dh couldn't sleep and was up all night on the computer, blah, I think that's part of why I was up, everytime he made some little noise or something I was awake, then my stupid XH new wife texted me at midnight, WTH, it couldn't wait until morning to find out when my DD last tetnas shot was??? She stepped on a nail, but they weren't taking her to ER, so why was it so urgent I needed to check the records at midnight???? Sorry for the vent...I am tired!!!!

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#26 of 170 Old 03-09-2009, 12:34 PM

Sat I went to my parents house (who live in the suburbs) and took off my shoes and stepped in actual grass! Weird feeling. Then on the way home I got a suffocating, oh-my-god I need a house with a yard NOW and some peace and quiet for when this babe comes! (we live in a VERY urban neighborhood) but were just not ready to buy yet and I really dont want to rent again, ugh. : We pay low rent and my parents only live 20 min away so if I want to get away, its close.

The baby has been moving like CRAZY. She is on such a schedule too, Im in disbelief that she is actually acting like a "real" baby now, even with 7 weeks to go. Last night we went to dinner w the in-laws and DH leaned over and whispered "Im SOOO excited to see Sophia, before I was thinking, yeah were having a baby but now I just want to meet her! I cant wait anymore!" Awww. I melted.

This may be tmi but last night DH and I dtd and it felt like my vagina shrunk! It wasnt painful, just...felt like I was too "wide and short" instead of "long and narrow" in there, if that makes sense. I know its fine but it was such a weird sensation!!

#27 of 170 Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmomma76 View Post
I have 15 lists! I keep losing one, starting a new one, find the old one, going oh I forgot that on this list!
Haha!!! My list today includes "find notebook". I got one to keep with me in my purse and its gone, of course!!

#28 of 170 Old 03-09-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I'm sooo tired this morning. I had insomnia from around 3:30 until sometime after 6:00 (and of course needed to get up by 7:00) so I feel totally wiped out.

In other fabulous news, my stretch marks have arrived.
Its ok, my dd brags to everyone when we talk about them. "I did that to my mom cause I was a HUGE baby!" I really dont mind passing the blame to her!!

#29 of 170 Old 03-09-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy11 View Post
I really wish I knew what parts I am feeling wiggling around in here. I have my "positioning" scan on Friday and I just wish I could be more confident. I always feel hiccups down low, but there's so much poking and squirming that I just can't tell if this round thing up top is a head or a butt -- or neither! Aggravating!
Nancy,
Do you get BH at any time, or any tightening of the uterus? Sometimes I get it at night and so I lay on my back and feel around. (Im a big girl, so Im not always 100 percent where things are) But last night it felt like an upside down V at the top of my uterus when i was feeling around, the only conclusion I could come to is that she is sitting cross-legged! It was weird.

#30 of 170 Old 03-09-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
Nancy,
Do you get BH at any time, or any tightening of the uterus? Sometimes I get it at night and so I lay on my back and feel around. (Im a big girl, so Im not always 100 percent where things are) But last night it felt like an upside down V at the top of my uterus when i was feeling around, the only conclusion I could come to is that she is sitting cross-legged! It was weird.
I haven't had a BH, no. It is easy, however to feel shapes. I just can't seem to distinguish them. LIke, I know something is an appendage and i know there's a round thing at the top that when I move it I feel movement down low -- so I'm hoping it's a protruding butt. Yet, it feels like a skull! I feel like I could turn it myself the way it's hanging out in front like this. I can just about feel everything -- it's just so ambiguous and I'm wanting it to be bottom up, which is impacting my perspective. Gah!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page