Your dream afterbirth meal(s) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2009, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since I'm preparing for a homebirth I'd like to collect some recipes for the recovery especially a master meal for just after the birth. I bet this thread would inspire some ideas for those planning hospital births too so please share your plans on how you'll plan those meals for when you return home.

I have no idea when I'll be giving birth: morning noon or night

So, I'll start off with a dinner plan and think of other meals for the right time of the day, later.

Israeli Couscous and Beet Salad

Carne Asada

This might carry over into something like, "Foods That Heal". We all know that food is our best medicine. Just getting it all together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 11:03 PM

I like eggs after I birth. Eggs and sweet, fresh melon (cantaloupe) and lots of juice.

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
Old 03-12-2009, 11:07 PM

Well, just after birth I just eat something light...
then I indulge in my favorite fun foods-- ice cream or a piece of cake or something.
Then I eat soups, salads, and anything else I can find.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 PM

Last time my mws made cheese and crackers but I made DH run to the store and grab spaghettios and chocolate cream pie. I just felt like eating those things!!!

Probably the same thing this time, but Ill have my mom make me a delicious pie!!!:

wife. dd1 : dd2
Old 03-12-2009, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Dawn View Post
I like eggs after I birth. Eggs and sweet, fresh melon (cantaloupe) and lots of juice.
Oh my yes! Fresh fruit!!! Adding that to the list. Its a must for any meal. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:19 AM

Yummy thread! :

The melon sounds great! I'll have to keep one in the refrigerator until the baby comes (eat them as needed and replace them, of course!). I have banana, pumpkin and zucchini breads made and in the freezer - I'll put them in the fridge as soon as I go into labor so they'll be thawed and cold when I want them. I'm taking a few to the hospital, too, for bribing the nurses.

Eggs sound really good. And cranberry or grape juice. I don't drink juice most of the time b/c the sugar isn't good, but after birth is a good excuse to indulge, right?

Who knows, I may send DH to the store or restaurant for something special. It's hard to imagine what I'll be craving at the time.

I have chicken spaghetti and a dorito pie (Mexican dish) in the freezer. And taco soup and lentils. I'm putting enchiladas together tomorrow night. A friend brought over homemade beef stew that was AWESOME last time. Oh, now I'm hungry again. I think little bean is on a growth spurt in there. I need to eat...:

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:27 AM

Im a vegetarian so no meat for me please

Fresh fruit and juice sound delicious! Also the banana bread.

I havent really thought about it, so these are just off the top of my head. I think I could make some smoothies and freeze them.

I would like to have lots of Raisin Bran Crunch, granola and/or cereal bars, yogurt, ice cream. I snack more than what I eat.

Vegetarian chili made in the slow cooker. I need whole wheat bread, I love eating toast with olive oil and a pinch of salt whenever I need to recover from anything.

I cant think of anything else, but from now on I will! (Im from the May ddc, this is an invasion haha)
Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 AM

We don't make meals in advance, no space or time

I loved loved loved eggs in the early pp days with all my kids. I love eggs in general though

while I normally love soup, not a big fan of it pp. I'm a messy eater and I'm always afraid I'm going to spill soup on the baby.

Baked beans are good, easy, lots of energy and I know I need the fiber after birth

burritos are awesome too, another energy packed food that is easy to eat. Actually I might see if I can make up a tray and freeze them one-by-one they won't take up too much freezer space then......
I like the ones from the vegiterian times cookbooks, my meat-loving dh does too

I do have to say that I have loved a ham sandwich after every kid

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 03-13-2009, 12:39 AM

Champagne, mimosas (fresh squeezed OJ please!) and strawberries. That's on my husband's list of things to have ready for the birth.

Or sushi!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:39 AM

Definitely Champagne (the one thing we already have ready ) and I think fresh pineapple. Hmm...I have 3 dozen eggs in the fridge so I think I need to do some baking. I got 2 dozen from WIC and then my friend brought over a dozen duck eggs from her farm. I just haven't felt like eating eggs plain...but I rarely do. Anyone know if Quiche freezes well?

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:40 AM

Vegetarians here too!

I already know I'm going to have LOTS of orange juice and unsweetened pineapple juice on hand - I just can't get enough of it! I've been thinking watermelon too. Back when I ran, there was nothing better than a watermelon after a hard workout. I imagine I'll feel the same way after unmedicated childbirth! We'll definitely have some yogurt, granola and other 'quick-but-healthy' type snacks around as well. I'm hoping to freeze some lasagna, goulash and other meals to have in the days/weeks after the little guy makes his appearance.

As for an actual right-after-birth meal, the cookbook "Veganomicon" has a recipe for Pineapple Cashew Quinoa. It is AMAZING! So refreshing. The quinoa is cooked in pineapple juice and a little low-sodium soy sauce. The stir-fry has fresh pineapple, fresh basil, fresh mint, peas and red peppers. I've had it with raw cashews and I've also made it with those fake chicken strips (not breaded) - both delicious and so high in protein! My thought is that during labor, I will do all the chopping prep work - I find chopping veggies very relaxing. Once that's done, it's sort of throw it in the pan and let it cook and it tastes even better reheated so even if it doens't get eaten right away, it will be great!

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

Old 03-13-2009, 01:42 AM

Afterbirth meal. After birth meal. TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS!!! :
Old 03-13-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by because why not? View Post
I was thinking that myself

Old 03-13-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Totally! I was expecting to find recipes for cooking the placenta in this thread.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbass View Post
Yummy thread! :

The melon sounds great! I'll have to keep one in the refrigerator until the baby comes (eat them as needed and replace them, of course!). I have banana, pumpkin and zucchini breads made and in the freezer - I'll put them in the fridge as soon as I go into labor so they'll be thawed and cold when I want them. I'm taking a few to the hospital, too, for bribing the nurses.

Eggs sound really good. And cranberry or grape juice. I don't drink juice most of the time b/c the sugar isn't good, but after birth is a good excuse to indulge, right?

Who knows, I may send DH to the store or restaurant for something special. It's hard to imagine what I'll be craving at the time.

I have chicken spaghetti and a dorito pie (Mexican dish) in the freezer. And taco soup and lentils. I'm putting enchiladas together tomorrow night. A friend brought over homemade beef stew that was AWESOME last time. Oh, now I'm hungry again. I think little bean is on a growth spurt in there. I need to eat...:
Are you near Sacramento cause Ill come share that food with you too! YUMMM!!!!!!

wife. dd1 : dd2
Old 03-13-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OMGosh! You are so right!

In any case, if someone has a delicious 'placenta' prep idea. By all means please share :!

I can totally see what you're referring to. Now I gotta get all careful about my grammar.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:51 AM

hmm i have no clue what i'll be in the mood from but will send dh out to get it!

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

Old 03-13-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial View Post
I do have to say that I have loved a ham sandwich after every kid
Had my first in the hospital, and I was SO HUNGRY after the birth (12 hours, all day, no food of course) but the kitchen was closed, they kept telling me. ARGH! Finally, a nurse found me a ham and cheese sandwich on white bread. Nothing on it - no mustard, no mayo, just bread, cheese and ham. I washed it down with tap water and thought it was the BEST tasting sandwich EVER, I was so starving!!

My parents came and took my ex-DH and my best friend out to dinner after they left the hospital, ordered appetizers of mozzarella sticks, and my husband ate so many, my dad would always say, "Boy he LOVES cheese sticks!" and no matter how I tried to explain, ex-DH was just hungry, he hadn't eaten for 12 hours, he would have eaten anything you put in front of him - my dad wouldn't listen. Still insisted my ex LOVED mozzarella sticks.

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
Old 03-13-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
Are you near Sacramento cause Ill come share that food with you too! YUMMM!!!!!!
No, I'm in Texas. Sorry! You're welcome to come share anyway!

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
OMGosh! You are so right!

In any case, if someone has a delicious 'placenta' prep idea. By all means please share :!

I can totally see what you're referring to. Now I gotta get all careful about my grammar.
I'm actually having my placenta put into capsules to take as vitamins. It's supposed to really help with PPD (among other things) and with my sister's history I'm taking all procautions I can! I couldn't eat it but taking the capsules will be fine for me.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
I'm actually having my placenta put into capsules to take as vitamins. It's supposed to really help with PPD (among other things) and with my sister's history I'm taking all procautions I can! I couldn't eat it but taking the capsules will be fine for me.
I'm really wanting to do this and have been thinking about it a lot this week. Are you ordering the DIY kit from placentabenefits.info or having someone locally do it? I saw pictures on a blog where she just put it in a blender and then used a food dehydrator, but a local MW said that you're supposed to carefully drain all the blood out of the veins and that it's very time consuming. I don't think I could do it myself and DH is supportive, but not interested in doing it. How do I ask a good friend to grind up my organ? I'm thinking maybe I'll just hire someone.

Just curious what others are doing, if you're planning on encapsulating or ingesting your placenta in any way.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too! LOL Placenta recipes!

Anyway, I don't know what I will want to eat after. birth. I just know that I'm going to have lots of food stocked and I live close to a grocery store if I need to send dh or my mom in. I just know that after I give birth, I am always STARVING. or a least I feel like it!

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
Old 03-13-2009, 11:38 PM
jmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyfire View Post
I'm really wanting to do this and have been thinking about it a lot this week. Are you ordering the DIY kit from placentabenefits.info or having someone locally do it? I saw pictures on a blog where she just put it in a blender and then used a food dehydrator, but a local MW said that you're supposed to carefully drain all the blood out of the veins and that it's very time consuming. I don't think I could do it myself and DH is supportive, but not interested in doing it. How do I ask a good friend to grind up my organ? I'm thinking maybe I'll just hire someone.

Just curious what others are doing, if you're planning on encapsulating or ingesting your placenta in any way.
I'm planning on encapsulating. My mws have offered to steam and dehydrate the placenta before they leave after the baby's born. Then when they come back the next day they'll show me how to grind it up (I plan on using my coffee grinder). Mw is then going to lend me her encapsulater so dh and I (and my mom, any friends that stop by, etc..) can get it put in the capsules. The mws offered to make me a placenta smoothie right after the birth too - we'll see how appealing that sounds at the time.

As for regular food -- we ordered pizza after dd's birth -- will probably just do that again. I'm all about easy.

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
Old 03-17-2009, 07:44 PM

My friend made Curried Lentil and Sweet Potato soup for me after my miscarriage- its vegetarian and healthy, but also thick and filling. She had chopped cilantro in lime and plain yogurt to put on top, whcih was great- I like to serve it on rice too...

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy...g/recipes/5077

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Old 03-18-2009, 12:49 PM

I'm going to make and freeze a pound cake as the baby's "birthday cake"- that will be high on my list of things to eat after birth! And lasagna, and orange juice! Last time I ate yogurt, which was good.

Not going to be eating the placenta (although I wouldn't be opposed to taking a bite if I'm bleeding too much, last time I did), but I am planning to make prints. I think that will be fun and I hope they turn out really well! Anybody done this before?

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:00 PM

I made some zuchinni bread the other day and froze it...plan on taking some with us to the bc and if I'm lucky getting some after baby is born (dh likes zuchinni bread a lot, so I might have to threaten him to get a peice )

Old 03-18-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
I made some zuchinni bread the other day and froze it...plan on taking some with us to the bc and if I'm lucky getting some after baby is born (dh likes zuchinni bread a lot, so I might have to threaten him to get a peice )
Oh yeah, zucchini bread (and banana bread) are yummo. Baked goods are nice to have on hand, then DH can just throw me a slab without having to actually prepare anything, so I know it will be to my taste.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Old 03-18-2009, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After my previous 2 births, I had a strong craving for a big bowl of oatmeal with milk & raisins. I ate it often when the girls were infants, too. I assumed it was because oatmeal is a comfort food and my girls were born in the fall & winter, but I recently learned that oatmeal is good for milk production, so maybe that is why.
In any case, I will be sure to have it available again this time!

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 

User Tag List