Weekly Chat 3.15 - 3.21 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
Still, I totally recommend it...even if it's just for the satisfying 'crunchy' feeling you get from the alignment.
Despite my extra 40+ pounds, I just get Dan to lift me up in a bear hug and my entire spine stretches and pops. I gain at least half an inch in height and it feels awesome.

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 03:56 PM

Yeah Kate on the taxes! I HAVE HAVE HAVE to get to that this week...end....

And I went to my OB this morning...heartbeat sounds good, 36 weeks tomorrow, measuring 2 weeks behind again, but no big deal. Did the strep test, will have those results next week I guess. I had about 10 contractions in the hour after he did the strep test today, not painful really, after the first few, but definitely noticable... He gave me labor instructions, and talked to me about that, so for some reason I guess he thinks it will be soon. He's an older doctor...I wonder if he just gets feelings about births? I spent 3 weeks at 2 cm with DD (40 wk + 5 days) and 2 weeks at 3 cm with DS (38 weeks +4 days) so who knows what will happen this time...

I feel antsy to get everything done now....

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 PM

DO you guys like Almond cake? This one is AWESOME!!!! My adjustments are in red.

Mrs Ashers Almond Cake
Ingredients:
2 c. sugar
1-1/2 c. Mazola oil (I used ½ butter and ½ the oil so it was a little crispy on the outside-Lindsay)
4 eggs
1 can almond filling/paste (mix until smooth)
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 c. flour
1 can Milnot (evaporated milk) 12oz ( I used Eagle Brand full fat condensed milk, Milnot has Hydrogenated oil, for all you who avoid it. - Lindsay)
1 tbsp. almond extract

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix sugar, oil, and eggs well.
Add almond paste and mix well.
Mix soda with flour in separate bowl.
Alternate adding flour mixture and Milnot and blending into batter.
Add almond extract.
Bake in tube/bundt pan 1 hour and 15 minutes or in bread pans 45-55 minutes. (baked in a tube pan for 60 min and it was perfect)

wife. dd1 : dd2
Old 03-17-2009, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm tempting baby to come early, it needs to wait until at least 38 weeks. I have all these appointments the next couple weeks regarding DD1 and services, we have having to battle the company that contracts to the school district for things like speech, etc... And she got turned down today for a small, private school that specializes in dyslexic students, she is dyslexic but they don't have any other children her age and don't want to enroll one student for the entire grade. So now I'm left fighting for services and trying to piece things together again for her, sigh. Hence the reason why baby can't come for a while. I need to line out some things first, which of course is like telling it to come out now.

On a happy note though, a mom I don't even know that well offered to throw me a blessingway this weekend. : I'm excited if she can pull it together, she leaves for a long trip next week and by the time she gets back, this baby better not still be inside so it's this weekend or not at all.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:22 AM

Growth spurts hurt.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
DO you guys like Almond cake? This one is AWESOME!!!! My adjustments are in red.
That looks sooo yummy! I want to try it. Can I buy almond paste at any ol' grocery store?

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
Old 03-18-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
I'm tempting baby to come early, it needs to wait until at least 38 weeks. I have all these appointments the next couple weeks regarding DD1 and services, we have having to battle the company that contracts to the school district for things like speech, etc... And she got turned down today for a small, private school that specializes in dyslexic students, she is dyslexic but they don't have any other children her age and don't want to enroll one student for the entire grade. So now I'm left fighting for services and trying to piece things together again for her, sigh. Hence the reason why baby can't come for a while. I need to line out some things first, which of course is like telling it to come out now.
Well crap, that sucks. I have a friend who has a child who needs all of those things and it was a battle for her too, but she won, so keeps your hopes up!! Hopefully things will be resolved soon!

Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasharna View Post
That looks sooo yummy! I want to try it. Can I buy almond paste at any ol' grocery store?
Yes! I found it in the baking isle of Safeway, next to the canned cherry pie fillings. Its kind of expensive ($5 a can) but completely worth it. Im thinking this might be a cake I could make for my mws.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreen View Post
We're now tossing around the name Shea. I love it. Again, dh is luke warm, but after a night of sleeping on it, he still says it's a possibility. He's trying to get over the association to butter. Apparently there's such thing as Shea Butter...? That's what I get for marrying a Home Economics (foods) teacher, lol.
I love Shea. Seamus is always my husband's first suggestion, and we would use the nickname Shea. I still waffle on Seamus- boy names are so hard for us! Waiting to meet the baby to decide...

Had a good midwife appointment yesterday, where I confessed that the weeks of contractions and minor stress over trying to rest and stop them are really wearing me down. I'm over my weekend meltdowns, though, and really looking forward to being 37 weeks on Saturday when I can stop feeling guilty about bringing on contractions

When I peek at my calendar, I'm amazed at how much I have pencilled in for the next month. I keep making plans (though telling everyone that I may have to cancel). I'm glad to keep busy, but I do have a couple of days which would be really inconvenient for baby having. So anyone who "wants" March 31st or April 6th can have them

Peony, I hope your battle for services is a success.

Oh, and I'm getting a haircut today. For the first time by a professional in about two years. (I actually hate getting my hair cut, but have a friend who is a hairdresser and going to help me get over it)

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 AM

I just opened a new jar of peanut butter.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:46 AM

Well, my earlier possible due date is one week from today! My midwife is now thinking that it is the right one, so we are hopefully going to have a baby this week or next week!

EEEEEK! ...lol...

Really it would be fine... there are things I still want to do but nothing that absolutely has to get done.

I still want to clean out our office (total wreck) and put a vinyl mattress protector on the futon, and clean sheets, so that if DS is asleep upstairs I can labor downstairs and hopefully not wake him.

And I want to paint the used dresser we got for the nursery... it is army green, which wouldn't be too bad but whoever painted it did a horrible job. It will be white (Lord willing and the creek don't rise...I mean the baby doesn't come ) very soon!

Kate, I'm so glad your tax situation isn't as bad as you thought it would be. We were kind of dreading taxes, and then when we pulled everything together in turbotax it told us we were getting a refund. We were in shock, but I think that having a dependent really helped us out this year. We also file as self employed, so last year we did owe and it was not very good timing! Having a baby and owing on your taxes at the same time is not too fun.

Well, I'm off to sort through big bags of hand me downs... not sure how much I should keep and store in case baby is a girl... I guess I can get rid of it after birth if we have a boy!

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnatty View Post
Well, my earlier possible due date is one week from today! My midwife is now thinking that it is the right one, so we are hopefully going to have a baby this week or next week!

EEEEEK! ...lol...

Really it would be fine... there are things I still want to do but nothing that absolutely has to get done.

I still want to clean out our office (total wreck) and put a vinyl mattress protector on the futon, and clean sheets, so that if DS is asleep upstairs I can labor downstairs and hopefully not wake him.

And I want to paint the used dresser we got for the nursery... it is army green, which wouldn't be too bad but whoever painted it did a horrible job. It will be white (Lord willing and the creek don't rise...I mean the baby doesn't come ) very soon!

Kate, I'm so glad your tax situation isn't as bad as you thought it would be. We were kind of dreading taxes, and then when we pulled everything together in turbotax it told us we were getting a refund. We were in shock, but I think that having a dependent really helped us out this year. We also file as self employed, so last year we did owe and it was not very good timing! Having a baby and owing on your taxes at the same time is not too fun.

Well, I'm off to sort through big bags of hand me downs... not sure how much I should keep and store in case baby is a girl... I guess I can get rid of it after birth if we have a boy!

Wow, your babies could be exact Irish twins!!!!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
Old 03-18-2009, 12:32 PM

I have an almond cake that I make its almost pound cake like. You throw everything in a food processer and then bake. Its really easy and oh so tasty. I'll try and post that receipe later, its not my receipe it from a cook book

grrrr on the services issues with dd peony. We went through that for way way too long with DS1. I know how hard that can be. He's in a great place now, nothing like how we thought it would end up, I hope something lines up for your daughter.

I had pt for my back aslt night and I don't know if it over corrected, or loosened things too much or ??? but I was in as much or more pain than I was when I first hurt my back Really really bad and dh had therapy last night and mil who normally watches the kids while he goes was sick and had to go to the hospital. Oh it was just awful poor ds1 had to do almost all the work. I managed to cook dinner and then lay on the couch. I ended up having to go lay in bed (our couch in saggy in the middle so not so supportive) almost right after dh put the lo's to bed and 2 doses of the max for my painkillers
It was so bad I was going to call the bc and tell them I couldn't do it anymore and I just wanted to schedule the ERCS of course once the pain came down some and I regained function of my brain I knew what a crappy idea that would be since the c/s recovery was terrible. I have to say though I can understand a lot more why women get the pain meds in labor. You get the pain fear cycle going and you've very quickly lost control

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 03-18-2009, 01:45 PM

Azreal

Nancy11- I love your 1 liners! they mimic what IM feeling!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't check in last night and now there's no way I can catch up! Crazy how fast it happens...

Peony - GL with dd's services and hope that blessing way is fun!!

Lindsay - Stop! you're making me hungry

Azreial - Maybe you'll feel better today? Sometimes it hurts more before it gets better because of swelling...hope that's the case.

MelW - hang in there...just a few more days and you can contract to your heart's content

Gnatty - whoa! Awesome. You are definitely in the 'any day' stage. GL!

Let's see..for me, I made a sling yesterday...the one that someone recommended me in the crafty mamas thread...was that Dawn? Anyway, it was SOOO easy I was shocked. I hope it fits after baby was born...felt a little awkward at first and I was like, crap it's not gonna fit...then I realized it's because I'm already carrying the baby...just not in a sling .

Now I just need to finish the horse mobile I'm making and make my puddle pads and I think that's all the sewing I'm going to worry about.

I just need to finish working out the financial side of things and all will be good.

I think I might just bite the financial bullet and go back to the chiro once more before baby comes...it was worth it and I think another one will only help my labor.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Gnatty - Ooooh! That's so exciting! I'll be checking for your big news every day now!

Peony - Your dd is lucky to have such a proactive mama. Hang in there!

Kate - nice job on the sling, I'm impressed. i wish I could sew. I have a sewing maching and dh taught sewing for a sememster, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Someday....

I laughed about the Shea butter thing. I don't even think dh realizes it's a beauty product, lol. It's been three days now and he told me this morning he really likes the name!!! I so hope this is it. I really like the name, but I'm even more excited about the prospect of not worrying about finding a name anymore, lol. Shea Hayes doesn't sound as good as other names with Hayes, but I figure how often do you really say the whole name together outloud anyways?

Dh is sleeping. It was St Patty's day yesterday and he's on spring break. I woke up at 1:30am to him banging on the door. I opened it and asked him what happened to his housekey that he took. He just reached into his pocket and said, "it's right here." DUH!!! Man, he was out of it. I also noticed he wasn't wearing his new jacket that he had taken with him. Fortunately he knew to sleep on the couch. I was so furious, though, that I couldn't get back to sleep. Now I'm sooooooooo tired. I've got so much work to do before class and my brain is fried. At least he woke up briefly this morning and helped with the boys a bit.

Shea, Shea, Shea.... I love it
Old 03-18-2009, 03:33 PM

Hi Everyone,
Hoping to hear some more birth announcements soon!!!!

I'm 38 weeks today, off to see the midwife soon.

Hopefully the birth tub is coming in soon as well, I'll see her today too.

I'm really hoping to have this baby soon! I'm getting sooooo grouchy. Last night I crawled in bed to let DH handle clean-up and getting kids to bed. I laid in bed and read a book. Then I just got more and more pissed at him...

He's just so freakin' spacey! He spends all dang day at work on the computer and then when he comes home he spaces out on the computer for long periods of time. It was nearly 9 pm, he finally had the kids ready for bed and books and he left them sitting on the couch waiting for him to read to him. I was trying to be patient... watching the clock. The kids were being unbelievably patient... finally after twenty plus minutes of no reading I yelled out to my oldest if dada was even there... passive aggressive, yes... then he got a clue and got his butt off the computer and read to them. Then I get up to tuck them in and there's toys and games all over there floor. I just about lost it but reeled myself in and said something like it looks like you're not ready for bed at all- we need to pick this up. Then after getting them to bed I stomped around and picked up the rest of the house and kitchen DH didn't do.... he loads the dishwasher, doesn't do anything else like wipe the table or counters or sweep the crude off the floor....

Any way, sorry for venting... I'm just big and tired and I want to have this baby already!!!!!! But I'm seriously scared this one is going to stay in until 42 weeks like my daughter and I'm going to go crazy and DH and I are going to fight and be grouchy... ugh.
Well that brought on a BH- more please!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreen View Post
Gnatty - Ooooh! That's so exciting! I'll be checking for your big news every day now!

Peony - Your dd is lucky to have such a proactive mama. Hang in there!

Kate - nice job on the sling, I'm impressed. i wish I could sew. I have a sewing maching and dh taught sewing for a sememster, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Someday....

I laughed about the Shea butter thing. I don't even think dh realizes it's a beauty product, lol. It's been three days now and he told me this morning he really likes the name!!! I so hope this is it. I really like the name, but I'm even more excited about the prospect of not worrying about finding a name anymore, lol. Shea Hayes doesn't sound as good as other names with Hayes, but I figure how often do you really say the whole name together outloud anyways?

Dh is sleeping. It was St Patty's day yesterday and he's on spring break. I woke up at 1:30am to him banging on the door. I opened it and asked him what happened to his housekey that he took. He just reached into his pocket and said, "it's right here." DUH!!! Man, he was out of it. I also noticed he wasn't wearing his new jacket that he had taken with him. Fortunately he knew to sleep on the couch. I was so furious, though, that I couldn't get back to sleep. Now I'm sooooooooo tired. I've got so much work to do before class and my brain is fried. At least he woke up briefly this morning and helped with the boys a bit.

Shea, Shea, Shea.... I love it
Sewing is fun...and easy to become obsessive about.

On the Shea Hayes...it actually crossed my mind yesterday when you broght up Shea that I thought you were the one who wanted Hayes as a middle name (which I love)...it does rather rhyme...you could always make his official name Seamus Hayes and just call him Shea...I like the sound of that.

On the dh front...sigh. Sorry. It's a different story, but my DH is FOREVER leaving coats behind at gigs when he gets drunk (which with free beer is every time, pretty much). Then he doesn't want to go back and get them...and I have to force him to do it...he lost one really cool jacket to an out-of-town gig and refused to call about it:. Whatever.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:49 PM

I'm going to go prune the pricker bushes now so they don't attack me when I mow the lawn this summer.

Speaking of mowing the lawn, how do I mow the lawn and protect the baby's ears while it hangs out in the pack 'n' play outside?

Old 03-18-2009, 04:32 PM

Azriel

Quote:
Let's see..for me, I made a sling yesterday...the one that someone recommended me in the crafty mamas thread...was that Dawn? Anyway, it was SOOO easy I was shocked. I hope it fits after baby was born...felt a little awkward at first and I was like, crap it's not gonna fit...then I realized it's because I'm already carrying the baby...just not in a sling .
Yeah that was me. You can measure the sling across your back to get an idea if it will fit (whether you have a belly or not)

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 03-18-2009, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy11 View Post
I'm going to go prune the pricker bushes now so they don't attack me when I mow the lawn this summer.

Speaking of mowing the lawn, how do I mow the lawn and protect the baby's ears while it hangs out in the pack 'n' play outside?
I would say keep the baby in sight, but not too close to the mower while you're mowing...better yet, give him/her to dh while you mow or visa versa....

Old 03-18-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Found a hole in my rubber glove the hard way today...while dying some t-shirts green :

Too bad it wasn't the thumb, it's the pointer finger...at least the thumb would have been funny

Old 03-18-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Found a hole in my rubber glove the hard way today...while dying some t-shirts green :

Too bad it wasn't the thumb, it's the pointer finger...at least the thumb would have been funny
Fail.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Fail.
Is that like saying "lame" or "that sucks?" Is this new slang I no longer know b/c I'm going to be a mom....am I getting old?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I don't know... my mum used to wear my sister in a sling while she mowed with a ride-on

And peanut butter... I can't believe how much we've eating in the past couple of weeks. If this kid has a peanut allergy I'm going to have major guilt complex. And I'm not talking about allergies anymore, since I've started to freak out about dealing with baby allergies again. It has given me a good reason to be off the hook on pre-cooking and freezing postpartum meals, though...

mom2sol, I hope it happens soon for you!

I'm finally finished my taxes for both countries, and getting returns from both, too ::

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 03-19-2009, 01:17 AM

"Fail" means... you failed. I'm sure I'm older than you -- it's more of a video gaming term that has to do with pressing the wrong buttons and dying, which = fail. I like to apply it to everyday living. It's just in my brain, I guess.

So, since you got green on the wrong finger... fail.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 AM

I am totally out of the loop for this weeks chat, so I'll have to catch up. But I thought I would chime in first since I have had yet another interesting doctor visit.

I had an amnio on tuesday to determine lung maturity on my 37 week old lo. The procedure almost didn't happen since baby is now breach and my placenta covers most of the front of my uterus. But we were able to finally find a site to draw out amniotic fluid. It was cool to see a little bit of what was in there.

I went to see my OB after that appt. about 2 hours later and she told me that the test showed that the lungs are not mature! I was shocked, but more like I just wanted to laugh. At this point, nothing has gone as planned so why would this. I have been telling the baby to give me sure signs if something was wrong or if things needed to change or what ever. My child has informed us that he/she is not ready yet. I'm so happy that we did the test before we did the c-section early. I guess they measure lung maturity by some numbers and mature is about 60 and borderline is 40 -something and my baby has a 29. So we're halfway there. Our c-section is now scheduled for March 31 at 39 weeks exactly. The baby measures now at 7.5 lbs. And is doing well.

So the pregnancy continues...My newest symptoms are fatigue, HUNGER, and frequent peeing. Since I'm going two more weeks maybe that nesting instinct will kick in after all.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:28 AM

okay, the NY Times food section today has a whole article about whoopie pies, and a recipe. now I am thinking that will be my labor project, to make home-made whoopie pies... I do love baking!

Its been more than 7 weeks now since I started a GD diet and I haven't had one sweet baked thing that whole time. (well, really ANY baked or otherwise cooked starchy thing other than these crazy coconut flour concoctions I've been making). I keep contemplating what treats I can have after the baby is born, and there are some intense family discussions going on the topic...

dissertating mom to three

Old 03-19-2009, 03:36 AM

I usually do not do these chats but I'm finally mainly moved, lots of issues with DH remaining but at least he's in basic training right now. I am tired but not too tired. Although I'm drinking too much tea. Finally got settled w/new midwife, and will finish my two reduced payment plans this week. Hoo-rah! Still doing swimming with DD and deciding whether to sign her up for the next session... or maybe just do informal swims with her during the free swims?

I feel like I'm just getting settled in and I only have three weeks left before the EDD. It's so tough! There are so many things on my to-do list... tomorrow I will make some chicken at least. I had a bunch of stuff made and frozen but my husband turned off the freezer. Insert furious smiley here. So, all my soups and stuff are gone. I have spent the last week moving. So I have to do that, as well as taxes. Good news is, we only lost money this year so nothing to pay.

On the other hand I am finally able to look at moving forward and am thinking of what I can do to support myself when the baby comes. I might go back to school... anyway, must wash some diapers!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 AM

I expect only stress to ensue in these final weeks. Wiggle-butt kept me up all night in its new position (more anterior than posterior), with its new size (BIGGER) and with its new dance routine (jig-clogging-breakdance).

I really can't imagine having the issues that many of you have with other children and husbands and all that, and sometimes I feel like I'm a big baby complaining about my discomforts. Please know that I do feel for those who have it tough, although I may not be able to empathize. Hearing all your stories makes me even more certain that one child is PLENTY for me to handle along with everything else in my life. I planned everything I could to attempt a sane transition -- we'll see what happens...

Anyway, <3 to everyone having issues and otherwise. The downhill coast is hopefully right around the corner.

User Tag List