Weekly Chat 3.15 - 3.21 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 161 Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
emma - thanks for the tips! I did this last night but the lanolin looked a little gloppy. I saw a video on line that said put a little eucalan in to keep it from glopping and I might try that.

nancy--could be a hand, or lo could be pogo-ing off your ribs

PicklinQueen - ugh. that totally sucks. Take it easy. Take a nap and eat some ice cream. Then get the pictures done...for posterity. Just my opinion.

fairymom- saw your post in diaper making...I don't know the answer. I would guess if you're going to make actual diapers out of wool that you'd want a layer of something else in between baby's skin and the wool...unless it's incredibly soft wool.

Michelle - This one startles at sneezes occasionally, but that's about it.

in other news, the co-sleeper wasn't too inconvenient to crawl around at night time. I only have to scoot down a few extra inches to swing my legs over the side, so all is well. Except that I totally over did it yesterday putting the thing together and my hips hurt again last night. But, I'll be going into the chiro on Tuesday again, so that should help.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#122 of 161 Old 03-20-2009, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't know how I got out of it for so long, but I just joined the sore hips club. I mean I've been sleeping strictly on my sides for months now (with the ocassionaly half back half side that I manage to conjour up) and just recently I have started waking up with sore hips and now know what you are all referring to. Ah, the joys just get so much more joyful hehe . We are almost done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm having an "I'm super excited" day today at that thought. Early, on time, or late, this baby will be here before I know it!!!! :::::

Yes notice the emphasis on the big champagne glass that I am so looking forward to when baby arrives!!!!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#123 of 161 Old 03-20-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanders4 View Post
I don't know how I got out of it for so long, but I just joined the sore hips club. I mean I've been sleeping strictly on my sides for months now (with the ocassionaly half back half side that I manage to conjour up) and just recently I have started waking up with sore hips and now know what you are all referring to. Ah, the joys just get so much more joyful hehe . We are almost done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm having an "I'm super excited" day today at that thought. Early, on time, or late, this baby will be here before I know it!!!! ::::::ch ampagne

Yes notice the emphasis on the big champagne glass that I am so looking forward to when baby arrives!!!!
I already packed the champagne in my bag for the birth center .

#124 of 161 Old 03-20-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
I saw that on the what's in your bag or list thread! DH stopped drinking a few weeks ago and will not touch a drink until this baby arrives and wants to wait for the champagne .

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
#125 of 161 Old 03-20-2009, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanders4 View Post
I saw that on the what's in your bag or list thread! DH stopped drinking a few weeks ago and will not touch a drink until this baby arrives and wants to wait for the champagne .
Good for him!!

#126 of 161 Old 03-20-2009, 01:42 PM

Peanut hasn't hit my ribs once-- its legs kick into my right side. And, I think it's a little lower than usual, as I haven't had any heartburn in almost a week.

I wish I could just look at it all the time. Guessing is frustrating!

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
#127 of 161 Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

My friend who is due the day before me had her baby this morning. Now I'm really getting squirrely!! ::

#128 of 161 Old 03-20-2009, 02:03 PM

baby startals if I do a big burt or fart but not a normal/small one

I think I'm ready to be done, this baby needs to hurry it up

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#129 of 161 Old 03-20-2009, 02:51 PM

Hips hurt here too. I have to sleep on my back to give them a rest, which is not comfortable for my perm arched back.

Fairymom, I wouldn't imagine you'd want the diaper actually made out of wool unless you are making liners not made out of wool. Doesn't wool make moisture wick away? So you'd need an absorbent layer, then the wool I would guess.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#130 of 161 Old 03-20-2009, 03:31 PM

I have a friend from college (we only keep in touch through facebook though sadly) who was due the same day as me and she had her baby on Wednesday. Another girl I know from High School was due on March 28th and she had her baby today. I know between stories like this and our DDC about to explode with birth stories I am going to get more and more antsy til its my turn. Patience, Michelle, patience!!!!

#131 of 161 Old 03-20-2009, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Joining the exhausted club. I'm trying to force myself off the couch right now but it's not working that well. I haven't loaded the dishwasher in days, forget about laundry or picking up anything. I haven't had a free afternoon or morning all week, just tiny snips of time where I have to rest so I can prepare for the next event, appointment, interview. This weekend and all next week is exactly the same. I have to do a trail run of the birth pool, and I have no idea where I'm going to squeeze that into the schedule.

My friends are throwing me a party tomorrow night so I'm excited about that, I might fall asleep with two hours of pampering though.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#132 of 161 Old 03-20-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
love your priorities! (I've already got mine ready to go too... just haven't packed that bag yet!)

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#133 of 161 Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 PM

Had my 36 wk appt today- no GBS test w/them till 37 wks so no swab, also have to wait till then to see if anything is going on down there! Finally back to my pre-pg weight so no more -s for me. May actually gain a few before babe gets here! The BBP US went well got an 8/8- yeah I don't really know what that means either. I guess water looks good, placenta good, baby's got strong lungs, and weighs (give or take a whole lb) 7 lbs 10 oz.That's up 3 lbs in three weeks. I don't feel he is really that big though- just really long. He's really low too.

I've developed a really bad cough that hurts the few stomach muscles I have left on top. Used to fear coughing earlier in the pg (water broke while coughing w/ds4) but strangly hope it'll do the same this time now that I'm so close- but hate the pain it brings.

Thanks for the info on wool.

I hope to start seeing lots of babes on here real soon!
#134 of 161 Old 03-20-2009, 11:13 PM

I am so irritated and cranky lately! but to top it all off DD is so defiant. DD will be 4 in a few weeks and I'm not sure if it's age or knowing baby is coming or what but she has never acted this way so many days in a row. She has really been an easy child... We have our moments but usually our love and logic ways get us through it and it is short lived. now it seems like there is NOTHING I can do. She is batteling EVERYTHING! I'm so scared with thinking about having two now! I know I"m probably just freaking out cause I"m so tired today and we did alot of running around. here's praying tomorrow is better....

ETA: We saw my friends new 4 day old baby today...I held that newborn and can't wait to have mine....I know it's only 3-5 weeks away but it feels like it's going to take forever!
#135 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Shineliketheson It will get better. I'm sure this will be a tough transition for her, but things will smooth out.

fairymom - yay for 8/8 : I don't know what it means, either, but it sounds like a good score!! That's like an A++. You must have a little brainy baby

I'm tired...I keep getting these low down sharp pains...kinda under my belly. Very annoying.

#136 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 12:30 AM

I got a bunch of "to do" list stuff accomplished today, though am dragging my heels on some of it. And had a lovely emotional pregnant meltdown/argument with my husband, who has been in a funk for days. This evening was better- I put the dinner I had made in the fridge for tomorrow, and we went out to an indian buffet :

ShineliketheSon, I think kids at this age are so aware that things are changing and can be totally overwhelmed by it. I see major changes in my daughter moment to moment (and especially on days when I'm tired and emotional, too). I hope it gets better for you guys

My husband had a staff meeting this afternoon, and got a gift card to Babies 'R Us from his co-workers. Not sure what we'll spend it on, but I'm sure we can find something. I was browsing carseats online for when baby outgrows the bucket...

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#137 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
My friend who is due the day before me had her baby this morning. Now I'm really getting squirrely!! ::
Full moon's coming April 9...

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#138 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
I had a bottle of champagne for after the birth with #1 and I luuurve champagne and the weirdest thing was, I was on such an enormous high we didn't open that bottle for two months. And even then, I didn't really want it, I just was leaving the country and didn't want to "waste" it. What a disappointment, but on the other hand, it gives you an idea of how wonderful a natural birth can be...

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#139 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

The champagne (in my case) is more for everyone else...I may have a sip, but don't want baby's first bf to be alcoholic . Plus, after the exertion of birth and not having alcohol for 10 months, I imagine it would be a little strong...when I was about 5 months along we went to a bar to see a friend do belly dancing and I ordered ginger ale. They apparently made the stuff with bitters, which has a minuscule amount of alcohol in it and I could totally detect the stuff...I sent the drink back because it was giving me that 'warm & fuzzy' feeling. So, I certainly will not be over indulging.

#140 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 06:15 AM

Mimosa.

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
#141 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the hugs and comments. It really means alot! I know this is tough transition time, I just didn't expect it to come till after baby was born and I didn't expect it to be this dramatic, but she has been an only child for 4 years and an easy one! We are blessed.

I reread some of our love and logic stuff last night and realized we've never actually had a bedtime routine...she's always just gone down well. This has been one of our battles this last week...so I made a betime routine that starts earlier and has lots of time with mommy and daddy interaction as well as a bath and reading more books and lots more choices so hopefully that will help calm her before bed. Then we are switching to letting her read books in her bed till she falls asleep...you can't force a child to sleep so why try.

We'll see how this works tonight. DH and I have been so tired lately we had done bedtime later and later and expected her to do it on her own as she knows how but she's still at that age she wants our involvment and we should have been there with her. She's only 4 but sometimes I think she's 6.

We are changing naptime to rest time so hopefully when baby is born she will at least have some quiet down time in her room alone. (we had been taking naps together and I rub her back...may be part of why she can't get to sleep at night by herself)

So I felt better last night with at least having some sort of a plan to attack this, then maybe once we get the sleeping/rest thing down the days will be smoother....we'll see.

I can only do so much and the rest I'll have to pray God will give me the patience to handle it!
#142 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

mmmmmmmmmm

#143 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 07:42 PM

ShineliketheSun, I think 4 is a tough age actually, with our son its been very much more emotional than was 2 or 3. I'd hardly describe my son as "easy" (he's extremely high energy-- a LOT of fun, and really smart, but a handful!) but the emotional stuff really ramped up around when he turned 4. And, yes, I could call it "defiant" (though I try hard not to label... my DH though, he'd definitely be ready to describe our son as that lately!).

He's calming down some, and I'm learning to not get as involved- to let him have the emotions without getting all wrapped up in it myself, if that makes sense. Its hard. He's also DEFINITELY going through a bunch of anticipation of the baby (gotten much clingier to me, well, interspersed with wanting to do the opposite of whatever I ask, and also getting very physical with me- wanting to pretend to nurse, wanting to touch and climb all over me, etc, and, ugh, he's big). Funny though, I did here him exclaim in a very exasperated voice to his friend yesterday, "I am just so FRUST-ER-ATED".

At our house bedtime is pretty easy and we have about a 1/2-hour "routine" that is very consistant (though that could change w/ a baby...I really hope that I can put baby down a bit earlier and still do the same bedtime with DS). Nap is really hard for him to settle down- he needs me there with him, I hop we can work this out. I've been really needing a nap myself, so its not too bad, but infants can be such mercurial nappers.

Hmm, in other news we went to a little "Holi" celebration in our neighborhood (we aren't Indian but some of our friends are). It was pretty tame as Holi goes from what our friends say (I had no idea what to expect!) but my son and I got "colors" all over our faces and hair, and some of them aren't washing out too well, so not only am I this giant pregnant woman but I have pink and yellow stains on my skin!

dissertating mom to three

#144 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 08:22 PM

I got a lot of organizing and preparing for the baby done today (37 weeks I started moving furniture at 7:30 this morning, much to my husband's dismay.

My daughter and I also planted some spring crops in the garden. We're a bit early on some, but I wanted to try even if it means replanting later. We also have some lovely miniature irises and crocuses blooming- they're the bulbs she chose and planted in the fall that I said would bloom near when the baby comes :

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#145 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

cute, Mel...nice idea with the flowers.

Well, instead of worrying about making a bunch of mix cds for labor, our roommate is going to lend us his iPOD shuffle...we just bought a $12 set of speakers for it and we're set!! :

#146 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

btw, anypone else having a really noisy stomach lately? I'm getting lots of weird rumbles and gurgles..........

#147 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
cute, Mel...nice idea with the flowers.

Well, instead of worrying about making a bunch of mix cds for labor, our roommate is going to lend us his iPOD shuffle...we just bought a $12 set of speakers for it and we're set!! :
That's what we're planning to use... kinda. Since I have an iPod shuffle, a long time ago I made 2 very large playlists. I essentially went through my entire iTunes library and pulled my favorites into 2 lists, one of up tempo songs and one of down tempo songs and then there is a master list that combines them. The master list is like 800 songs or so. It took a fair amount of time to do initially, but now when I add music to my library I just add the songs to one of those lists. Anyway, with my shuffle, I can have it randomly fill itself with songs from one of the 2 lists (or the master) so I get a different mix each time (since I think the shuffle holds 150-200 songs). Also, I find that I often just put the master list on shuffle from my laptop (which is what we'll do at the birth center, with a little set of portable speakers). It's nice because, while I like smaller playlists, I find I get bored of them quickly and with the huge playlist on shuffle, I don't know what's coming next, but I know I'll probably like it . And, if I'm not in the mood for that particular song, there's always the next track button.

I am working on crossing the last few "need to get X done before the baby comes" things off my list. I finally put together my application to transfer my nursing license from CA to WA. This involved taking a online class on HIV/AIDS (7 credit hours, as required by WA state), which I'm now done with. All I need to do at this point is call NY state (where my original license was issued) and find out where I send the paper form that WA state requires them to fill out to verify that at some point I actually passed the NCLEX (nursing boards) and met the requirements to be licensed. Of course, there is an online system that about 2/3 of the states use to verify this information electronically, but NY state (and CA, for that matter) isn't one of them . For as much as we all complain about how unreliable technology can be, this is one situation where I'd rather not have to rely on a actual person to fill out a form for me. Oh well.

Oh.. and I was going to ask, about the colostrum, am I the only one who CAN'T hand express any? Really, I have a teeny-tiny amount of "crust" on my nipples (really, only noticeable if I look for it), and hand expressing results in nothing at all coming out and I have no leaking at all. Should I be worried?
#148 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 10:30 PM

[QUOTE=emmaegbert;13408048]ShineliketheSun, I think 4 is a tough age actually, with our son its been very much more emotional than was 2 or 3. I'd hardly describe my son as "easy" (he's extremely high energy-- a LOT of fun, and really smart, but a handful!) but the emotional stuff really ramped up around when he turned 4. And, yes, I could call it "defiant" (though I try hard not to label... my DH though, he'd definitely be ready to describe our son as that lately!).
QUOTE]

Thanks for your comments. As much as I wouldn't wish any hardship on anyone it is comforting to know we aren't the only ones going through this. DD is definatly more emotional which is causing the defiance. I"m not labeling her, just her behavior. She is a sweethearted girl and even through our struggles today, hearing her play, talking about Jesus and praying for her mommy and daddy tonight reminds me that the most important thing in life she is understanding. We changed our routine today and had many "quiet times" in her room, however I think after a few days of sticking to our guns, it'll be less...this has shown true in the past. Right now she is in bed looking at her few books with her lamp on and will hopefully fall asleep in the next 30 min without problems.

The naps together were really nice, but I it eventually trickled into the betime battle as she wanted me to lay with her and rub her back...I"m not going back down that road...I think she may be at the age she's giving up her naps...though we will always do a rest time of books/quiet play in her room to give us at least an hour break during the day.

So things were tough today but it's looking up, I was glad to have a plan today and was glad to keep my emotions under control...though I did cry by myself a few times. DH is sick today so has been in bed all day, that made it extra hard. But at least the weather was nice so the open windows helped boost me and I got stuff done as I had to keep busy.

wobblykate:it's funny you ask about the stomach noises...DD just said as we were reading books "I think your food is digesting!".
#149 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
I got a lot of organizing and preparing for the baby done today (37 weeks I started moving furniture at 7:30 this morning, much to my husband's dismay.

My daughter and I also planted some spring crops in the garden. We're a bit early on some, but I wanted to try even if it means replanting later. We also have some lovely miniature irises and crocuses blooming- they're the bulbs she chose and planted in the fall that I said would bloom near when the baby comes :
Yay, Mel! I'm glad that you're finally term and allowed to get your heavy organizing done! And that's lovely about the flowers .
#150 of 161 Old 03-21-2009, 10:39 PM

baby is moving like crazy tonight...maybe cause I did so much today that now that I'm finally sitting down she's wanting to move...hopefully she'll settle down by betime! though I must admit I am relishing in these last few weeks of movement as I don't plan to ever feel it again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page