Worst appt ever!!! Advice please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I had an appt at 3:45 and have been miserable ever since!! First I get some good news....I'm 2 cent/70% effaced/-1 station....last appt was the same except I was -3 station. No change in dilation and effacement is good for me cause I started to dilate at 33 weeks and doubled by 35 so I was so scared I was going to deliver early.

Anyway, as I'm putting my clothes on I was telling dh that I forgot to ask about my GBS results and that it was probably - since they didn't mention it. Well, get to the front and pick up my pink card along with a rx for antibiotics!! I was like....what is this for? Of course the recep wasn't sure so I look at dh an dwas like oh no! maybe it was + I'm gonna go ask the dr. Well, I go to the back and ask him and he says "yeah your test came back + so I want you to take that and we also do the IV at delivery" so I ask a couple of questions and take my sad little self back to the front to meet dh. (I want everyone to understand that I have known my dr for over 11 years, I don't think he was being unprofessional I just think he seriously isn't concerned???)

As soon as I get to the car I grab dh's blackberry and start to google GBS.........oh lordy...what was that for??? I have been crying ever since! I didn't go to school, I don't want to talk on the phone with anyone cause it just brings me to tears, I just came home and fell asleep till about 10 minutes ago! Why is this happening to me? Have you guys read the horrible things that can happen? My baby can DIE!! Where did I go wrong??? I know it's not an STD and that I'm just a carrier but shit! I find out on my 4th child??? I read that it can be passed to the baby at delivery.....should I ask for a c-section??? The thought of that just gives me chills but I would put my feelings and wants aside and do ANYTHING for my baby to be healthy!!!

Please tell me she's gonna be ok. Tell me that the "American Pregnancy Association" is over reacting!!! I'm ready to lose my mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 12:13 AM

Not to make light of your feelings....but, it really will be okay. A lot of women (incl. myself) were/are GBS+. I had the antibiotics during my scheduled induction (I'm very prone to high blood pressure issues) and it was really no big deal. I think some of the other mommas on the board will give you some more natural ways to help combat this. Try not to lose any sleep over this. Once again, chances are high that everything will be okay.
#3 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 12:23 AM

I would search here for more info. Its really no where near as scary as they make it out to be. Most other countries don't even test for it! and their babies aren't dying off in droves

take some deep breathes, a nice warm bath and stay away from google!

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#4 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 12:26 AM

Not in your DDC, but I had to reply. Your baby is going to be just fine! I tested + for GBS with my son. When my water broke, I just went in right away and was on the IV drip until he was born. I was disappointed to have to be attached to an IV and not be able to move around as freely, but it wasn't the end of the world.

I know someone who tested positive with her first baby and negative with her second, so she was able to have a home birth the second time around. It is possible to test positive at some times and not others, which could be why this is the first time you knew you were a carrier.

I think if your doc was not worried it is a good thing! He probably sees positive GBS tests all the time, prescribes the abx to make sure the baby is safe, and everything is fine. I know my doctor did not make a big deal out of it either. There was no concern about it at the delivery; it was never even mentioned after I got the abx.

Personally, I would way rather do the abx and deliver vaginally than deal with the possible complications/infection/prolonged recovery of a C-section.

Mommy to a boy (6), girls (4&2), and our baby boy (8 months)

Missing Ashlyn 10/18/06 and Brennan 10/18/10
#5 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 12:29 AM

*there there*

Breathe in, breathe out.

GBS is actually one of those critters that are naturally/commonly in our lower digestive systems. Testing positive DOES NOT mean you have a GBS infection. It just means the bacteria was present in either your vaginal opening or your anus (not all HCPs do the anal swab).

Risks from GBS colonization (what the test shows) are really pretty low. This is one of those things that most other countries don't test for routinely, unless you fall into one of the "high risk" categories.

The concern, and potential risk to baby, is when the colonization turns into infection AND if it spreads to baby through birth. HOWEVER, even that is not a death sentence!

Do a little more research (lots of threads here on MDC) and figure out the preferred option for your family. Some people have more concerns about the effects of the abx. Some people don't test for it at all, instead monitoring for signs of infection during labor. Many people and reports say that taking the oral abx doesn't do much good - GBS colonization and infection can come and go quickly... you may be positive now, and be negative at the time of labor. Likewise, you could have been negative now, but been positive at labor. There are some natural remedy protocols you could try, and then retest, if you wanted (garlic suppository and/or hibiclense wash). Even if a woman has tested positive, she may not get to the hospital in time for the recommended dosage of IV abx. Hospitals will then keep/monitor mom and baby longer. Some will push to give baby routine abx.

What's right for you depends on where you stand with respect to medical intervention and whatnot.

That said... GBS colonization is NOT an indication to schedule a c-section. C-section risks are WAY worse/higher!

(ps. I tested GBS positive for my first birth - baby and I were both fine - no infection. I did get IV abx. The worst part about the + result was that I had to go in to the hospital earlier than I would have liked. And it put a shorter timetable on how long I'd be "allowed" to go after my water broke... and my water breaking is how my labor "started". Then again, I've learned a lot since then.)
#6 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 AM

Your feelings are understandable considering your doctor didn't give you any information other than here's an Rx. I tested + with my first preg and had the IV during labor. I'm allergic to penicillin, so I had a different kind that only has to go in every 8 hrs instead of 4, so I only needed one dose. I'm going to test again this preg, but am not planning on taking abx orally or with an IV in labor. In much of Europe they do an antimicrobial wash vaginally every few hours during labor and have amazing results. It's called Hibacleanse and is available here as well. Not that the hospital probably has any intention of deviating from standard procedure, just to let you know that GBS isn't necessarily dangerous to you or your baby. And you certainly shouldn't feel bad for having it! It's very common. I think about 30% of women are carriers.
#7 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone so much! The more responses i read, the better I start to feel I still wish everything was negative but atleast I'll have an easier time sleeping at night! The dr gave me the rx for antibiotics but said that he will also have the IV one as well....which SUCKS, but whatever!

I got so caught up in the results and all the stupid research that I haven't thought of anything else...then I went to pop the first pill and remembered the horrendous YEAST INFECTION I had in Jan due to antibiotics for my sinus infection!!! OMG!! Will it ever end??? Should I go buy some probiotics or something???
#8 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 02:02 AM

BTW, a negative test doesn't even mean that you are neg at the time of delivery! So, its all kind crazy. You should not feel at all bad about the GBS.

Can you get back in touch with your dr? You need to do a little more research and ask him more questions about how he handles it and what the protocols at the hospital will be (might determine how you want to proceed).

I was GBS+ with my son. Nobody ever mentioned anything at all about oral abx. I was supposed to get the two IV doses during labor but... my labor was too quick and I didn't get them "in time". So, guess what? No big deal. They monitored my baby for a couple of days (and roomed us in together). NOW, some hospitals will do prophylactic ABX on the newborn while they wait for cultures to come back if you don't get the IV in time to satisfy their protocols. I would find out what the policy is b/c that would really suck. If that is the case you'd want to make sure you go in early enough to get the IV at least 4 hours before you give birth (not like you can really know for sure, but don't wait forever). You can probably decline the ABX for baby anyway if it comes to that, and ask them to monitor and only treat if there are signs of infection.

And the IV during labor isn't continuous- or shouldn't have to be. You get the dose and then they can just cap it off and you can do whatever you want.

This time I am going to test but don't plan to do ABX in labor unless other things happen (very prolonged time between water breaking and delivery, for example, or high fever during labor). But I am doing a HB so they will "let" me do that.

dissertating mom to three

#9 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Mommy View Post
Thanks everyone so much! The more responses i read, the better I start to feel I still wish everything was negative but atleast I'll have an easier time sleeping at night! The dr gave me the rx for antibiotics but said that he will also have the IV one as well....which SUCKS, but whatever!

I got so caught up in the results and all the stupid research that I haven't thought of anything else...then I went to pop the first pill and remembered the horrendous YEAST INFECTION I had in Jan due to antibiotics for my sinus infection!!! OMG!! Will it ever end??? Should I go buy some probiotics or something???
probiotics won't hurt, so might as well go for it. Also, my cousin is a mw and when I mentioned all the huge risk factors I had read/heard about in association with GBS she kinda rolled her eyes...I mean, they still do the abx, but I think she feels like it gets really blown out of proportion. There's a lady at my DH's work who developed a GBS infection AFTER her test and baby was infected and the child was fine...just had to do ABX, unfortunately.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#10 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 10:21 AM

yup, i wouldn't worry about it. i was gbs + with DD and honestly, i don't even remember if i did abx. i know for dang sure i didn't have an IV at the birth. i think we just watched out for signs of anything wrong after she was born.

try to relax and definitely do some probiotics!
#11 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 01:21 PM

I just couldn't read this and not give you a great big

I have heard it can change from preg to preg and even at different times in one preg if the results show up + or -

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#12 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much! I need all the hugs I can get! I've had so much positive feedback from the mommas here and at another site I hang out in and it has really helped

Again, thanks to everyone!!!
#13 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 02:38 PM

I know how frustrating any news that has to do with your baby can be. I was GBS + last pregnancy and went in when my water broke, had antibiotics IV -2 before birth and one after. (hep lock so I could move and get in the tub without being hooked up.) It wasn't bad for me. Baby was just fine. Now with that said I think that that may have been the cause of my chronic yeast infections over the last 4 years....so this time I am doing garlic suppositories vaginally and probiotic capsules vaginally before the test in hopes that I test neg. Another poster said it changes, and it does you might be pos at time of test and neg at time of birth...every women has the bacteria in their vagina but some just have more at certain times which is why the medical field has their concerns. So alot of moms will test pos, then do the things I mentioned above and test again in a week and test neg...allowing them not to be labeled. I'm not sure if your OB would be open to this or not. Some women refuse the antibiotics even when pos. So you do have some optoins. I have no idea what I'll decide to do if I'm Pos. I'm glad your getting lots of good feedback to help you feel better. If you do the antibiotics but want to hellp prevent yeast, take baking soda sitz bath every day (which will also help with softening the perenium), don't use anything with fragrance, take 4-6 probiotic capsules a day and cut out sweets. I also use Tea Tree Oil suppositorys (cut in half) vaginally if I feel any symptoms coming on...I'm not sure if you can do this right after birth, but I've been given the okay during pregnancy and it has kept my yeast at bay. This may help you keep the yeast at bay. Good luck mama and try not to worry about it, pray instead!
#14 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 02:54 PM

From my reading on the subject, if we were to never test for it and never treat it when babies do develop the infections, only 1 in 5000 babies would actually die from a GBS infection. Deep breath mama, the infection itself may be somewhat common, but death and serious complications are extremely rare
#15 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Peeking in from May. My mw with my last pregnancy had me take an abx in the 3rd tri, too b/c I was gbs+ and they thought I would go fast when labor hit. It did. They got one dose in me, but DD was born maybe 1 hour after we got to the hospital so it wasn't effective according to their terms. That might be why he's suggesting abx now?

With that said, she was my 4th, too and I'd never tested gbs+ before. DD was born and she was fine. They even let us go home within 24 hours despite not getting the dosage via iv in time.

Google can be a powerful tool...in a good way and in a bad way. (((Hugs)))

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#16 of 16 Old 03-17-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondimpression View Post
From my reading on the subject, if we were to never test for it and never treat it when babies do develop the infections, only 1 in 5000 babies would actually die from a GBS infection. Deep breath mama, the infection itself may be somewhat common, but death and serious complications are extremely rare
Just curious... does this mean 1 in 5000 babies from the general population, or 1 out of every 5000 babies who get a GBS infection?

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page