the birth plan- any last minute advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-18-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So i have my 36 week appointment tomorrow and I am supposed to bring in my birth plan to go over it- this is what I have put together (some bits, pieces and segments may have been pulled from other birth plans posted on mothering btw). However, it is a page and a half long. I am wondering if anything seems really unnecessary or worse, if I have left anything really important out.

My OB's are great- it's four female OBs and a CNM who fall far more towards the midwifery model of care- very low intervention and 4 out of the 5 of them have done natural childbirth themselves. So some of this I feel like I shouldn't even include but then again, if something were to be assumed different because it wasn't on my birth plan I would be a little :.
So any advice/opinions would be welcome!

Birth Preferences for Dazedstella

Due Date: April 16, 2009
Patient of

Labor Support: Jeremy (fiancé) and Lynne (mother)
My fiancé, Jeremy, and I are excited to be sharing the birth of our first child with you. Though we are fully aware that situations may arise during labor and delivery which will require our preferences for this experience to go unmet, we have created this birth plan in hopes of being as involved and informed as possible while maintaining a pleasant atmosphere for everyone. Listed below are our desires for the various stages of this experience. Thank you for all of your assistance, patience, expertise and support.

Labor
I expect that doctors and hospital staff will discuss all procedures with me before they are performed.
I would like to be free to walk, change positions and use the bathroom/shower/tub as desired.
I prefer to eat and drink throughout labor, as desired.
Please do not administer an IV or heparin lock unless there is a clear medical indication for use.
I would like a quiet, soothing environment during labor/birth, with dim lights and minimal interruptions.
I would like to play my own music.
Please limit the number of vaginal exams.
As long as my baby is doing well, I prefer that fetal heart tones be monitored intermittently with an external monitor or doppler, even if the membranes have ruptured.
Please do not permit observers such as interns, students or unnecessary staff into the room without my permission.
If necessary, I would like to try alternative means of labor augmentation, like walking or nipple stimulation, before pitocin or artificial rupture of membranes is attempted.

Anesthesia/Pain Medication
Please do not offer anesthesia/analgesia unless I ask for it.
If I ask for pain relief, please feel free to offer non medical choices for coping and/or remind me how close I am to the birth.

Cesarean Section Delivery
If a cesarean delivery is medically indicated:
I would like Jeremy to be present during the surgery.
If possible, I would like to breastfeed my baby immediately after the birth.
If conditions permit, my baby should be given to Jeremy immediately after the birth.
If the baby must be taken somewhere for medical treatment then Jeremy should remain with the baby at all times.

Perineal Care
I would rather tear than have an episiotomy unless it is medically indicated.
If possible I would like hot compresses and oil used to help prepare my perineum to stretch.
If it is necessary to stitch the perineum please use a local anesthetic.

Delivery
Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming my baby is not in distress, I would like to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase and to follow my own pushing instincts.
I would like the freedom to push and deliver in any position I like.
I would like to follow my own pushing instincts except during crowning where guidance to avoid tearing is appreciated.

Immediately after the birth
Please place my baby on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
I would like to breastfeed my baby immediately.
Jeremy would like the option to cut the cord after it has stopped pulsating completely.
I prefer to wait for spontaneous delivery of the placenta and do not want a routine injection of pitocin.

Newborn Care
I would like to hold my baby skin-to-skin during the first hours to help regulate baby's body temperature.
I would like to hold my baby through delivery of the placenta and any repair procedures as well as evaluation of the baby.
I would like to waive the administration of eye antibiotics.
No Hep B vaccination

Postpartum Care
I would prefer not to be catheterized until I've had some private time to attempt urination on my own.
If available, I would prefer a private room.
I would like to have my baby room-in with me at all times.
Assuming I feel up to it and my baby is healthy, I would like to be released from the hospital as soon as possible following the birth.
I would like permission for access to my chart and my baby's chart.

Breastfeeding
I plan to breastfeed and want to nurse immediately following the birth.
Please do not give my baby any supplements- including formula, sugar water artificial nipples or pacifiers without first informing me of the reason(s) and seeking my consent.
I would like to meet with the staff lactation consultant.

-M-, mama to G 4/09joy.gif

#2 of 4 Old 03-18-2009, 04:31 PM

Do you want to watch the birth? (i.e. mirror?)
Do you want to touch the baby's head as it crowns?
Do you want to know your progress if they check you?
Do you specifically NOT want them to count during pushing? (I always say so, just in case... I hate the counting thing!)
Do you want your placenta? Do you want to see it?
Circumcision? (or are you having a girl?)
For c-section - do you want to request double layer sutures? Do you want to have the option of not being strapped down? Do you wear glasses/contacts? (you'll want to request to keep them and have them on to see the baby)
Do you want to decline Cytotec/Misoprostil altogether?

I would also take out all of the instances of the phrases: "please" and "if possible" and "permissions to."

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#3 of 4 Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well done!
I see you've included the few that I left out, such as keeping baby with you while you deliver the placenta. It is unnecessary to cut baby's cord right away(wish I'd known that the first time around). At dd2's birth, I held her while I delivered the placenta and we kept her attached to it for at least 20 minutes.

FYI - if there is some hospital policy against eating & drinking, I highly recommend having your partner/doula pack food to give you as you need it. I was starving and only allowed to suck on ice chips at my hospital birth.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#4 of 4 Old 03-18-2009, 07:17 PM

sounds good!

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page