measuring 35.5? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-18-2009, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok this is just sort of a general question that i should have asked the mw today, but didn't think to till id already gone out the door. how does the measurement work per week? this week (im 36 weeks) i was measuring 35.5, and she measured me twice to "make sure it was right". is that measurement off for someone who's 36 weeks along? lol. she didnt seem really concerned, and im sure if it was really something to worry about she would have said so. are you measured at like 1 cm per week? or inch or whatever unit of measurement they use- LOL.

everything else was great. she finally felt the baby's head which she said had been buried down there before and hard to feel. we were joking that the baby didn't have a head for a few weeks there. argh, and after thinking that i had my insurance thing mostly worked out (they were going to cover all but the first two months), the mw isn't sure because something happened with my carrier's contract not too long ago that could affect the gov medicaid type deal that we're using (like my technical terminology?). so now im being back to being worried that this wont be covered. so annoying! she is spossed to call me asap and let me know what she finds out from dshs. worst case scenario is that ill have to pay for the entire pg up until this point, and give birth in a hospital instead of at home : . granted ive heard the hospital is at least natural birth friendly and i'd have a midwife. it would still be a big deal to me. im just trying not to think about it!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#2 of 7 Old 03-18-2009, 09:32 PM

Hi! I can't imagine why she would have thought twice about your measurement. Usually we use how many weeks you are as a guideline to how many cm you should be, but not everyone is exactly 36cm at 36 weeks. Being .5 off is totally a non-issue. Plus or minus 3-4 cm is still within normal limits, especially if you had good interval growth (fundus grew from one appt to the next). I have always measured small, really small for dates. Usually 3-4cm under, for example, I am 35 weeks now and am measuring 32. But I was 28.5 last visit, so it shows the baby is growing, and therefore not concerning. I would totally not worry about it, especially with only .5 of a cm!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#3 of 7 Old 03-19-2009, 12:03 AM

I could see her re-measuring if it was a big change from a previous measurement... say you were a couple of centimeters "ahead" at a previous visit and are now much less, or vice versa.

And the palpation can give a sense of context to the measurement- like if the baby's head has engaged, how much fluid there is, general size of the baby, etc.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#4 of 7 Old 03-19-2009, 12:41 AM
jmo

I wouldn't worry at all. My mw said it was a plus or minus 4cm anyway -- a pretty huge margin of error, really. With my dd I was always measuring several cm ahead of my weeks (34cm at 31wks, etc..). With this babe I'm similar to you - 1 to .5 cm less than my wks. Definitely not cause for concern.

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
#5 of 7 Old 03-19-2009, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

ok, whew. i wasnt too worried, mostly just wondering how they measured it. i hadn't really ever thought of it before. glad to have the info now!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#6 of 7 Old 03-19-2009, 02:41 AM

Oh, I'm always "small" by that and mine measured twice because the baby moved during the measurement! No big deal, not at all, and I think 35.5 is totally normal.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#7 of 7 Old 03-19-2009, 03:05 AM

I've been a couple of cm off this whole pregnancy. It can also change depending on baby's position. Not to worry about! I hope everything works out with your insurance! That is not a fun thing to have to worry about.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page