Weekly Chat: 3-22 to 3-29 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2009, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, here's the article :http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,1578820.story

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
Done!! Okay, now you'll know how crazy I really am. So, don't forget everyone, we also have a fb group for after babies come...April MDC mommies is what it's called.

I had some lazy time this weekend, too...mostly on Saturday. I've been talking to DH, though...we need to try to get to bed at the normal time on weekends...not only does having a late schedule mess him up for returning to work on Monday, but I'm afraid that we're going to be exhausted if baby decides to come on a Saturday morning and we've been up all Friday night...(okay, I rarely make it up too late, but much later than weekdays.)
who's running the group? I just requested to join... how fun!!!!

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

Old 03-23-2009, 03:37 PM

Ooh fb group is such a good idea .

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
Old 03-23-2009, 04:15 PM

Facebook group? That is a good idea!

How are you all? I still can't seem to make it on there that much but have just accepted as the way things are. I'm just too busy, it's always something.

I think I am getting sick again! Oh no.: I have been sick so much this pregnancy with colds and respiratory stuff. I guess I can't complain, as I have no back pain, morning sickness ever, sciatica, constipation, swelling, or other typical pregnancy complaints- I'm just a germ magnet all of a sudden. Gah.

Shower was this past weekend and was very pleasant and low-key. My friends and MIL planned it and it was so mellow and the food was delicious. All the people I really wanted there were there.

I want to have a big sister initiation ceremony for my dd. I want her to feel a part of this - my husband is her step-father and she's so used to being my one and only. I'd like to get a small group of women together to honor her. She's in that awkward tween stage anyway and I think it would be really special.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanders4 View Post
I have a question that hopefully we can discuss here so I can discuss it with all of you Mamas. Has anyone heard of the recent ban on dropside cribs???? Of course ours is dropside and I am all worried now. What does everyone think?
I'm not even going to read the article as we are going to use our drop side crib we used with DD. The thing is though, that DH left it down once when DD was about 8mo. She could have fell out! But I noticed it while she was sleeping...I freaked out and we tied the bumper to the top all the way around the crib so you could no longer drop the side and it made for a good use of the bumper as it was up away from breathing and climbing and looked decorative. This is what we will do with this baby too. So that's my opinion if that is what the story is about...
Old 03-23-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Ooh fb group is such a good idea .
I don't fb so may end up missing you all...but I'll still be on MDC often I'm sure in the homeschooling/cloth diapering/breastfeeding forums...
Old 03-23-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
I'm not even going to read the article as we are going to use our drop side crib we used with DD. The thing is though, that DH left it down once when DD was about 8mo. She could have fell out! But I noticed it while she was sleeping...I freaked out and we tied the bumper to the top all the way around the crib so you could no longer drop the side and it made for a good use of the bumper as it was up away from breathing and climbing and looked decorative. This is what we will do with this baby too. So that's my opinion if that is what the story is about...
Yeah the story is bascially about drop side not being safe and we will secure ours so that the side can't come down too. That should solve the safety issue.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah the story is bascially about drop side not being safe and we will secure ours so that the side can't come down too. That should solve the safety issue.
Thanks for the link Michelle....

funny, when I picked the babies crib, I was bummed that it didn't have a drop side (it's a mini rocking crib, our house is super small) - I guess now that's the best thing that could have happened.

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

Old 03-23-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2be_k View Post
Thanks for the link Michelle....

funny, when I picked the babies crib, I was bummed that it didn't have a drop side (it's a mini rocking crib, our house is super small) - I guess now that's the best thing that could have happened.
See that!!!! It worked out for the better for sure! DH is going to screw the dropside in place so we will not be having a dropside afterall, but I feel MUCH better this way. I'm short though so it might be interesting when we lower the crib when baby is able to stand up (before that point obviously). I'm sure I'll work it out!

Old 03-23-2009, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Hi all! I hope your weekend was great I'm so excited about all the babies arriving!

I just got back from my m/w's. She wasn't totally sure that his head is down She said either he has a really bony bum, or his bum is down and his feet and head are up. I could totally feel what she was talking about and it sure felt like a head up under my ribs. So, I'm going for an u/s soon, I'm just waiting for the phone call with time/day. I sure hope it's just a bony bum... what curve ball that would be!! Egads!

I finally re-potted all the indoor plants... I knew it would bug me while sitting nursing this baby and looking at all the plants stagnant in their old soil, lol. I also washed all the curtains, got dh to remove all the mold buildup around our windows (ew!) and rushed around the city to ds' hockey tournament.

The closer I get to being 'due' the more anxious I am about getting my school done and over with. Yikes! I've just got one major paper left to write, but I also have to fit in 1+ books/week for class, which doesn't end until April 8.

herbanmama - I hope the sickness stays away!!

kate and MI Dawn... our co-sleeper was a major pita, too! I think that's why we never actually took it down after ds2
Old 03-23-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbanmama View Post
Facebook group? That is a good idea!

How are you all? I still can't seem to make it on there that much but have just accepted as the way things are. I'm just too busy, it's always something.

I think I am getting sick again! Oh no.: I have been sick so much this pregnancy with colds and respiratory stuff. I guess I can't complain, as I have no back pain, morning sickness ever, sciatica, constipation, swelling, or other typical pregnancy complaints- I'm just a germ magnet all of a sudden. Gah.

Shower was this past weekend and was very pleasant and low-key. My friends and MIL planned it and it was so mellow and the food was delicious. All the people I really wanted there were there.

I want to have a big sister initiation ceremony for my dd. I want her to feel a part of this - my husband is her step-father and she's so used to being my one and only. I'd like to get a small group of women together to honor her. She's in that awkward tween stage anyway and I think it would be really special.

I think a big sister initiation ceremony for your DD sounds PERFECT!!!! I bet she will love that!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:08 PM

I'm not sure what to do about the drop side thing...we'll see what dh's track record is like when she's tiny and can't roll out...if he leaves the side down, then I'll screw it in. I'm not trying to point fingers at DH, except that he has 'follow-thru' issues. Like he never, ever, ever closes a cupboard or a drawer. I think putting the side of the crib up is in the same category. Maybe I just won't teach him how to put it down .

On the co-sleeper side, Dawn, that was exactly the part that gave me h-e-double-hockey-sticks. ARGH. That's why I said buttons and tabs aren't the same thing. I was reading the f*ing instructions and it said push in the buttons and I had fixated on the tabs on the sides and I just sat there torquing on them....but nothing would happen. That's when I realized there was a part on the side that said "press here". Oops. At least we know if we use it in the play yard (notice they call it 'play yard' not 'play pen'...little bit of spin there) that the side isn't falling down easily!

herins started the FB group. Thanks, herins!!

lilgreen - : hoping for a bony butt!!

herbanmama - stay well! Vitamin C, STAT!! GL!

Oh...went to the midwife and got to have a great conversation with my cousin, the one who's : delivering baby. So, everything's good and baby looks healthy and happy. She estimated that baby's around 7 lbs right now!! Just right. She's very low, resting right on my pubic bone (which she's done the whole time), but not dropped yet. Which I was pretty sure of. Anyhow, just sharin'.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:30 PM

So how are you supposed to put the baby in if the side doesn't drop? Even with our mattress on the highest lvl I can't lay a baby down without the side down

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 03-23-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial View Post
So how are you supposed to put the baby in if the side doesn't drop? Even with our mattress on the highest lvl I can't lay a baby down without the side down
The article said they're encouraging the kind that fold down the first six inches or so, as opposed to the kind where the whole side drops. Supposedly, those type of fold down sides are more stable.

They had these at the daycare I used to work at...the only catch was that you had to remember to drop the side down before rocking baby to sleep, or you were in trouble, because they were a two-handed operation. I suppose someone will invent a one-handed version now, if they haven't already.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
fyi - I just requested to join the fb group.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Michelle, I'm so totally right there with you....I've got 1.5 weeks left to the EDD and not only am I getting antsy, but it's getting to the point where I can't call anyone without them asking if I'm in labor...my facebook is constantly got someone asking if the baby's here, yet, etc. I can't imagine how bad it's gonna get when I go over (cause I think I will).
Yeah, it was SOOO incredibly annoying to me last time around. I went 8 days over with Brynn and I just stopped answering my phone about 2 days after my due date. Like, what, I'm going to forget to tell everyone I had the baby!?? :

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbanmama View Post
I have quite a few good friends who now have daughters who are big sisters, so we are planning a sister ceremony for all of them in May. I'm so excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreen View Post
I sure hope it's just a bony bum... what curve ball that would be!! Egads!
Oh man! Hoping for a bony bum for you! Let us know how it goes; I'll be thinking about you!

I got the very last of my homebirth supplies today...so I guess I'm officially ready! Hear that, Baby??

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Happy birthday, Nancy! I hope you have a great day!

lilgreen, good luck with the ultrasound- sending lots of bony butt vibes your way!

herbanmama, the big sister ceremony sounds like a great idea!

I spent the morning with my daughter and my 95 year old grandmother. The combination of the two is exhausting, since their needs are so different. Climbing stairs while trying to hold a steady arm for grandma, hold Neela's hand and pretending that I'm not having a contraction is rather tiring! As are finding ways to help a three year old burn off energy on a rainy day and not wear out grandma. So Neela is now watching a DVD while I recover :

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm in with the poster who's hubby only ever sees them sitting. I have 50 million appointments I'm trying to wrap up before baby comes, when I am home, it's for an hour here or there and I can't do anything but sit so I can rest for wrangling 2 children out of the house again. I've *only* driven 100 miles today for various appointments and I'm actually feeling pretty good at the moment but if I do too much then I'll be on the couch by 6pm and not able to get off again so I'm conserving energy.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:07 PM

I think I have all my HB supplies together except for a hot water bottle. Go figure. Those pink rubbery ones? Those are apparently hard to find?? There is a "holistic" pharmacy in walking distance, where I am going to go pick up some homeopathic arnica (that is the other thing I don't have) and maybe they'll sell one, otherwise I guess I'll get on the phone before I waste any more gas going to stores looking for it.

This is uncharacteristic of me- supplies gathered a whole week ahead of my home visit! (well, I haven't tested the pool out yet or posted phone numbers, that stuff). I am usually such a last-minute gal. It must be because I am shirking all my other deadlines... I shopped for HB supplies instead...

dissertating mom to three

Old 03-23-2009, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Emma, Amazon has a whole bunch of them. Do you still have time to order?

Oh yeah - I guess I forgot - I have all of my HB supplies except the tub. I'm going to pick one up on Thursday from my friend.

Mel, sounds totally exhausting. Even moreso because I'm exhausted and grouchy myself.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Thank you! So far, so good!

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
Old 03-23-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Happy Birthday, Nancy!!!:

Saw that over in dex_millie's thread . Hope it's a good one!
Thank you!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

lilgreen, good luck with the ultrasound- sending lots of bony butt vibes your way!

herbanmama, the big sister ceremony sounds like a great idea!

I spent the morning with my daughter and my 95 year old grandmother. The combination of the two is exhausting, since their needs are so different. Climbing stairs while trying to hold a steady arm for grandma, hold Neela's hand and pretending that I'm not having a contraction is rather tiring! As are finding ways to help a three year old burn off energy on a rainy day and not wear out grandma. So Neela is now watching a DVD while I recover :
No reason for the bag...sounds like a good use of DVD time. Relax.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:03 PM

Oh...I'm making a Thai Coconut Milk Custard right now. I'm not really into custards but I'm going to a potluck and I have a bunch of duck eggs from my friend's farm to use up and this recipe uses 5 eggs! Plus coconut milk and brown sugar....but I couldn't leave it that bland so I added jasmine rice, dried coconut, orange zest, fresh ginger, vanilla, cinnamon and almond slices. Ought to cover the egg taste .

which reminds me I need to get some cheap rice (not organic jasmine) to make a rice sock for birth.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Oh...I'm making a Thai Coconut Milk Custard right now. I'm not really into custards but I'm going to a potluck and I have a bunch of duck eggs from my friend's farm to use up and this recipe uses 5 eggs! Plus coconut milk and brown sugar....but I couldn't leave it that bland so I added jasmine rice, dried coconut, orange zest, fresh ginger, vanilla, cinnamon and almond slices. Ought to cover the egg taste .

which reminds me I need to get some cheap rice (not organic jasmine) to make a rice sock for birth.
rice sock? what's that?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
The article said they're encouraging the kind that fold down the first six inches or so, as opposed to the kind where the whole side drops. Supposedly, those type of fold down sides are more stable.

They had these at the daycare I used to work at...the only catch was that you had to remember to drop the side down before rocking baby to sleep, or you were in trouble, because they were a two-handed operation. I suppose someone will invent a one-handed version now, if they haven't already.
yeah but what about short people? The twins have been out of the crib for a few months now but when they were still in it I would have to swing them over and drop. That was with the side down! The mattress was in the lowest position because they were two. There was no way I was getting them out of the crib with a side up, heck I was lucky enough to be able to get them out with the side down

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 03-23-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial View Post
yeah but what about short people? The twins have been out of the crib for a few months now but when they were still in it I would have to swing them over and drop. That was with the side down! The mattress was in the lowest position because they were two. There was no way I was getting them out of the crib with a side up, heck I was lucky enough to be able to get them out with the side down
maybe a bench or large step stool (not too tall maybe the same kind of stool a child would use for brushing their teeth) for "ahem" vertically challenged parents to make it easier to get the child over the rail.... but then you still have to lower them down all the way into the crib.... and then there's that silly fact that you may fall while standing on the stool... oh jeez! I'm at a loss!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 PM

Boy, we are chatty this week!

Quote:
So, I've been warned, but I feel that I wasn't prepared for this UNCERTAINTY, lol. Its so awkward being in this time of wait with no idea when this baby will arrive!!!!!!!!! Who knew that 3 or 4 weeks could CRAWL by so slowly!
I am right there with you, Michelle! We need a smilie that is tapping it's foot and checking it's watch . I know a lot of moms feel this way, but it seems like he's never coming out!

Shines-- I'm glad you had such a nice shower! I was totally the same way before mine-- a little impatient to make sure I had everything I needed. The day after the shower, I went and ordered/ picked up everything I didn't get that was needed. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how is your sister doing?

Nancy-- :Happy Birthday!!!:

lilgreen-- for a long time (until my 36wk appt?) they could tell the baby was vertical, but couldn't tell whether he was heads up or down. Finally my MW did a vaginal exam at 36weeks and said she could tell that the head was down, the next step would have been an U/S. Good luck and keep us posted!

Quote:
: That sounds yummy!

As for me...

I get why the industry would agree to just stop making drop side cribs-- less moving parts for them, less liability, OH and everyone who has one will be pressured to ditch it and buy a new crib! Win, win, and win! The other answer would have been to stop using such cheaply manufactured parts and find a more reliable design. We are currently sidecarring the crib, so the drop side is off anyway. Not sure what we'll do if and when we decide to use the crib not in a sidecar.

Oh... and thank you for the hand expression advice much to my embarrassment I was doing it wrong and when I do it the way they show it in The Baby Book, there is some colostrum in there .
Old 03-24-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievium View Post
Nancy-- :Happy Birthday!!!:
Thank you!

I ate too many cupcakes and I really do look terrible after having gained so much weight. I don't know how I'll ever get to be skinny again. I just feel guilty not eating with this kid inside of me.

It depresses me.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I understand about the weight gain. This is the most I've ever gained in a pg, 40 lbs by 36 weeks, which isn't that much, but I'm normally a very small person. This extra weight has not been kind on my joints, especially my knees, going and down the stairs is killing me. I'll slowly lose it, bfing burns a ton of calories, but I'm dreading this summer. Trying to squeeze into shorts and bathing suits, fun.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

User Tag List