Weekly Chat: 3-22 to 3-29 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I'm going to try to keep up this week! I am so excited that our babes are starting to make their debuts. :

Brynn and I are on spring break this week (I work at her school, so we both have the week off - yay!) and I am really looking forward to the down-time. I'm going to finish a few little nesting projects, get a prenatal massage, and just enjoy the beautiful weather. I've also decided that if I don't have the baby by the 10th, I'm going to start my maternity leave as of the following Monday. It's been getting harder and harder to get myself to work and actually have the focus and energy to get anything done, so I know the two weeks after spring break are going to be tough.

But wow, less than 3 weeks now til my due date!

Happy first week of spring to everyone!! :

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#2 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 AM

Happy first spring to you too Amy!

Speaking of massage, have you heard of the mayan uterine massage... Great for prolapse pervention.

Anyone here ever tried the Ultimate Meal? I sought after a protein supplement and ended up buying this. If its not good for pregnancy for some reason I'll give it to DH. This morning we both had a glass. There are some ingredients I'm weary of, like the ginko...

Just wondering if anyone could either caution me or say they've used it and its a good protein supplement.
#3 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had my blessingway last night, my 2y is obsessed with the flower they drew on my belly. My big plans for today is to do a trial run with the birth pool, and the girls are excited to go swimming in it after we get it filled up, at least all that water will be put to good use! If I can just get through this week, then life should calm down and then I'll be ok with going into labor at anytime.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sorry to be naive, but what's a blessingway?

Yay for spring time! I'm so excited that our babies are starting to make their appearances . Less than 3 weeks to my due date as well. I decided that its going to fly by and I'm so excited!!!! Every day longer the baby is in me is one day longer that he gets even stronger and one day more that I get him to myself . This is what I'm telling myself when I get impatient and it's true!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#5 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Michelle, a blessingway is a ceremony to honor the mother on her journey of pregnancy and birth. Friends come to offer their love and support, and there are many different rituals that may be included. If you want to see mine, and/or two of my good friends' who have had them recently, you can check my blog.

Here's mine.

This is Leslie's.

This is Jessica's.

#6 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 12:08 PM

Happy Spring! I still can't believe that the babies are all so close to being born :

I had a very busy day nesting and planting and generally being active, and planned a last minute date with my husband. We went to a movie- we saw Duplicity. I remembered how uncomfortable movie theatres are at full term from last pregnancy, so I brought my pillow with me

Today is another errand day for us- I need to buy groceries, do some laundry, and some last-minute shopping for baby. I keep going back to my post in the "to do" list thread and editing, and I seem to add almost as much as I cross off!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#7 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mel, I just saw your new signature quote from Neela. She is so fantastic!! :

#8 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 12:31 PM

Yeah Spring! I can't believe we're all so close and some of us already have baby's!!!!

I spent the day yesterday at an outlet mall with my sis...it was a blast, but I am tired, and I HAVE to get my to do list done today! I found some good deals on summer clothes for my kids, and got a little sleeper for next christmas for this baby, but I couldn't buy any baby stuff...I couldn't find anything GN that I had to have, so I skipped it all...now I have to go back...lol

Should be good to get it all accomplished then I won't have to worry about it all the time. I'm curious, those of you with older children, when are you installing the carseat? I keep thinking I should, but then my other kids have to squish for that much longer???

Oh, on the older kids 'defiance' my ds is 11, and we have talked and talked about the changes that are coming, but assured him over and over that we will love him just the same or even more if that's possible, etc...he says to me Friday, it's ok mom, I know that baby's needs will always come first...ACK...not at all what I was trying to say and explains a bit why he has been so 'moody' lately...we talked some more and I think he feels better and understands, we'll see when he comes home from his dad's Tuesday...

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#9 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 01:48 PM

Carseat installation, if we were having a hospital birth, I'd have it installed now, but since we are having baby at home, we'll just install it the first time we need it.

Expressing colostrum, are you sure you've got the right spot to pinch? I remember pinching too high on my breast and the MW had to show me where.

Ds is sick and coughing all night I never realized the difficulties with laying next to ds while trying not to move so I'd wake him but being soooo uncomfortable in a position for more then 30 minutes. You start to negotiate what is more important, you being comfortable or ds sleeping

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#10 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 01:50 PM

Oh and has anyone else not been sick their whole pregnancy? I was the same way when pregnant with ds until I was 39 weeks, then I got sick.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#11 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 02:56 PM

I've been sick through this pregnancy- several daycare colds that Neela brought home in the first and second trimester. There was a big cold in her daycare last week that I luckily managed to avoid (so far, but she's completely better).

I haven't installed the carseat, but want to do a trial run with the car seat and Neela's seat just to see how everything fits best. But I can't see making getting her buckled in more difficult than it already is with my belly, so I don't think we'll leave it in, unless we just leave the base in.

Neela is pretty fantastic : We saw some jet trails this morning, and she said "Look- the sun wrote a note for us! It says 'I'm going to California'". Then we remembered how we were in California at this time last year, and she asked "Did we fly to California?" I reminded her that we drove, and she told me "Oh, the sun is smarter than us. It's flying to California.".

(Now off to deal with Neela, who is trying to pick the lock on my filing cabinet with a paperclip. Where do kids learn these tricks?)

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#12 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 03:25 PM

Emma...To continue our chat...I, and others, have unknowingly labled DD as an easy child...which I think is why this transition is so hard for us. It's so out of the ordinary for her. Of course we always have our typical child moments but generally they were easy to get through. So I too have to start looking at her differently, just on the opposite of your situation! Kids all have their ups and downs just like we do...

Edna: I'm sorry your going through it too. Sometimes I think it's easier when you can reason with an older child, but then othertimes it's harder cause they can negotiate back.

Goodmama: With your 11 year old...Sounds like it never gets eaiser it just changes.

Hugs to all of us adding more children into the mix! Though I am glad DD won't be an only child especially with us homeschooling!

The new bedtime routine worked well last night. And so far today has been a much better day. We'll see how nap goes, but I feel more confident in my parenting today.

I met with my doula yesterday and was excited to hear her say I can start dong some natural inducers at 37weeks. That means only 2 more weeks! So I'm going to plan to walk walk walk, drink my red rasp leaf tea, do a few accupuncture, have sex, and possibly take evening primprose. Hopefully by week 38 baby will be ready!
#13 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 03:27 PM

Is there a Chrisitan based blessingway? Just curious as to what it would entail...
#14 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 04:10 PM

Peony - Are you going to post pics of your blessingway?
Amy - You and your friends had beautiful blessinways! What a great group of friends to pamper and take care of you!

Dawn - my dd is sick too and I understand the sleep situation, the worst part is when she coughs in my face in the night when im trying to sleep around her and my hips hurt! Ive had 1 LARGE cold that turned into an asthma thing that I got when I was 3 months and then a regular 4 or 5 day cold at about 7 months. Im 35 weeks almost and Im SURE dd is going to pass this one onto me too!

Mel - Neelas little sayings are SOOOO cute!!

Shine - A couple years ago when dd1 was 4, my friend mentioned having a schedule and it seriously turned my world upside down!! Putting her to bed early and doing a routine was something I honestly didnt even think about. There were a few troubled nights at first but after getting into the habit, dd got WAY more sleep and I even got some alone time at night. I made a list of things to do and posted it on her door. She had 30 min to Brush/floss, pjs, read a book/listen to music/talk (but in bed) for 10 or 15 min and if she dawdles, that took away foom her reading time so she was always on schedule!!! Now she is a 7 yr old who does all of those things without being asked!! Good luck!!

I have figured out that my MIL is throwing me a surprise shower today. (didnt tell anyone I knew though) I REALLY hate surprises and Im SO tired but Im gonna grin and bear it. Itll be fun seeing all the extended fam on DHs side but I just REALLY hate surprise parties. (especially when I feel like a medium sized orca and my skin looks terrible!

Im just feeling blah and Im ready to not be preg anymore. I still have to wait to use the natural inducers and DH is out of town next weekend so I really have to wait. Im just achy and sleepy and I feel sick when I eat and when I dont eat.

Our radiator had a crack in it and my BFFs boyfriend came to the rescue and replaced it yesterday for CHEAP. The estimate was 330 without labor and he did it for 170 with labor AND he did it on his day off! Im just so thankful for him!!!
Actually, Im feeling really weepy lately and feeling REALLY thankful for everything we have and everyone we have in our lives! :

wife. dd1 : dd2
#15 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
Is there a Chrisitan based blessingway? Just curious as to what it would entail...
I've never been to a blessingway, but I'm a Christian and I really liked the shower I was given last time for my first. Most of the ladies that came were family and Christian friends. As they came in, there was a picture frame with a wide mat out and a pen for them to write a blessing for the baby and sign their name. It turned out beautifully and I'm sure DS will treasure it! I wish I had something like that for this one. Also, after the gifts and refreshments, we all stood in a circle and anyone that wanted to prayed for me and my baby and our family. I also asked prayer for a friend of an aquaintance who was having her baby that morning but delivering a stillborn that had been diagnosed with Trisomy 18. It was a beautiful time of prayer and I'll always remember that part of my shower as the highlight!

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
#16 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 04:28 PM

Ok, so why would I be so hot, then freezing like I have a fever, but I don't seem to have a fever???

I have gotten a lot done today, but now I have to run to town because I don't have all I need to make my bread dang it...

#17 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's actually a native American custom traditionally, but I think when you plan a blessingway, it's all about what would feel good to you! There are more "traditional" rituals, but I think whatever is meaningful to you is what it's all about. I'm just really not into the whole baby shower thing, so this was much more meaningful and joyful for me.

Well today I finished up on some of my nesting projects - I moved my bathroom stuff fully into what had been mainly Brynn's bathroom, which is on the side of the house with the baby bedroom, but it's where I've always showered anyway. I cleaned out under all three sinks (two in the master bath, which Jason pretty much has to himself now, and one in Brynn's bathroom) and thought, wow, I really must be nesting if I'm down on my knees decluttering the under-sink space! But it felt SOOO GOOD to do it, and know I have two fantastically organized and cleaned bathrooms. Woo!

I also went through and finished with the details of organizing my homebirth stuff in the way that my MW has indicated, so that's another big accomplishment. I mapped directions to the hospital in case we end up transferring, and put that along with the "when to call me" instructions on the refrigerator. I think the only thing left in that department is to write a birth plan, also in case of transfer.

I was also finally able to put the baby's clothes away; we didn't have a dresser for his room, so I just got two of those Sterilite drawer things that most people use for the garage or pantry or whatever - but they're perfect for keeping bitty baby clothes organized inside of the closet. And it also made me realize we have A LOT of baby clothes (I have awesome friends who have given us tons of hand-me-downs) but only two newborn/0-3 sleepers, so I need to head to the consignment store to get some of those.

So I'm feeling on top of things today!

As far as installing the carseat, I'm waiting til the baby comes too. Brynn is in the middle right now and it makes me so fricking nervous to have to put each carseat by a door - so I'm not going to do it til I have to! But that reminds me, I need to get it out of the basement and wash the cover again. It's been in storage/basement for like 2 years now.

Lindsay, good luck with your surprise shower!

#18 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 07:21 PM

Yesterday was eventful and disappointing. We were finally able to set up Aidan's big boy bed after getting the last essential- the guard rail. The rail ended up costing $140 because it was the only kind that works with a platform bed and doesn't need a box spring. My husband and a good friend of ours spent 2 hours putting the bed together and I started crying when I saw it. I hate it! I then went onto Kijiji and found a lady selling a bed and 2 chests of drawers for $300. I contacted her, told her my 39 week pregnant sob story and she offered to have her husband deliver. Aidan is currently napping on his gorgeous new bed and I feel like the world is a great place again. I'm also excited that he only tried to get out of bed once and seemed to realize quickly that it is time to nap. Yaaaaayyyy. I can finally bring up the baby clothes because we have drawers to put them in! My hubby also mentioned that one of the chests is the perfect height for a change table, so we're set.

Now that the viruses are out of the house, I'm back to being okay with being pregnant and excited about the upcoming birth.

Oh yeah, I bought seeds for my garden. We now have a forecast of 3 days of snow. Yeah, Canada.
#19 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
Oh and has anyone else not been sick their whole pregnancy? I was the same way when pregnant with ds until I was 39 weeks, then I got sick.
no sickness here
:

I try not to talk or think about it though... like I'll be jinxed and then I'll get sick.

I've had a slightly stuffy nose since the first trimester... but that just makes me snore at night, and has never really progressed into anything.

Hoping I won't get sick right before the birth... that would S. U. C. K.

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#20 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 08:42 PM

Wth??? AM I ON IGNORE MODE???
#21 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 09:34 PM

Sounds like everyone's getting a lot done!! I just lanolized my puddle pads...well I hope I did. They're so big, I didn't want to dunk them in water and have to try and wring them out, so I made some lanolin spray...I melted some lansinoh and eucalan with hot water (the eucalan seemed to do the trick with keeping the lanolin from clumping, I just hope it's not to diluted), then added some cold water to make it tepid...I hung up the wool pads and sprayed the heck out of them...they're pretty saturated and I decided to just leave them outside to dry. We'll see.

Everyone that's having a tough day

Lindsay - At least now you can show up at your surprise party well turned-out. I don't mind surprises, myself, but right now I'd probably show up looking like heck if I didn't know. GL!!

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#22 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post

Shine - A couple years ago when dd1 was 4, my friend mentioned having a schedule and it seriously turned my world upside down!! Putting her to bed early and doing a routine was something I honestly didnt even think about. There were a few troubled nights at first but after getting into the habit, dd got WAY more sleep and I even got some alone time at night. I made a list of things to do and posted it on her door. She had 30 min to Brush/floss, pjs, read a book/listen to music/talk (but in bed) for 10 or 15 min and if she dawdles, that took away foom her reading time so she was always on schedule!!! Now she is a 7 yr old who does all of those things without being asked!! Good luck!!
:

I know that this routine will help alot... I didn't think about having a list for her...we took pics of her getting ready one day so we could put it into a chart showing what she needed to do before we leave the house...and then couldn't get the camera to download it...now we have a new computer so I'm going to do this tomorrow for leaving the house and betime/restime. Thanks for the reminder!!!
#23 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 09:45 PM

I can't believe its only Sunday and I already posted on here once and now feel like I can't catch up!!!!

More s to those having a rough weekend. DH, the dogs and I went on a 4 mile walk today and it literally left my body so sore!!!! I am not used to feeling sore after going on a nice walk!!!! I told DH while we were walking that as worth it as this has been and as much as I love this baby, its things like this that make me really ready for my body back. It gets tiring being sore and achy all the time.

I think we all deserve a round of applause (and a lot more of course) . I was just thinking about how I probably started feeling the aches and pains gradually since around 30 weeks and I think we are all doing great!!!! As my mom always tells me, its not easy making a human being . Let's all remember how special this all is. DH was sweet - he was organizing the house and I was taking a nap and thanked him and told him I was sorry I wasn't helping. His response was that even though it may not look like it I'm doing work .

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
#24 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanders4 View Post
His response was that even though it may not look like it I'm doing work .

Oh that is soooo sweet!!!! My Dh is good to me, and does alot around the house but I'm not sure he really understands how hard pregnancy is on your body. He still gets irritated when I sit around and don't get things done around the house. He was sick all weekend and it is so frustrating to me that he can lock himself in the bedroom and sleep all day long without interruption yet when I'm sick or pregnancy uncomfortable I'm still "mom on call". It made for a sucky weekend especially since I had to deal with DDs defiance and stick to my guns on discipline all by myself.... I obviously cried a few times this weekend...but I know it could be worse.
#25 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Oh that is soooo sweet!!!! My Dh is good to me, and does alot around the house but I'm not sure he really understands how hard pregnancy is on your body. He still gets irritated when I sit around and don't get things done around the house. He was sick all weekend and it is so frustrating to me that he can lock himself in the bedroom and sleep all day long without interruption yet when I'm sick or pregnancy uncomfortable I'm still "mom on call". It made for a sucky weekend especially since I had to deal with DDs defiance and stick to my guns on discipline all by myself.... I obviously cried a few times this weekend...but I know it could be worse.
I'm sorry Shine . I have to say that I'm very lucky with my DH. I know that he doesn't really understand what I'm going through, but he really tries.

#26 of 189 Old 03-22-2009, 10:47 PM

s shine-my dh tries too, but he doesn't get it either, he doesn't understand why I don't just stop when I don't feel well, ummm because if I don't no one will....

#27 of 189 Old 03-23-2009, 01:15 AM

I wish I were able, myself, to follow a timed routine. We have a routine but not a schedule, per se. I should try but even when I set one, life always seems to get in the way. I will start making cookies at 4 p.m. and there it goes!

No aches or pains but I realized at my last visit I am already due on 6 April which is two weeks away! Aaaaaahhhhh!

FW-
"As the names suggest, THE ULTIMATE MEAL® and MEALBAR® are the finest, most potent and complete sources of nourishment available anywhere at any price."

I guess my brain pretty much shuts off when products make claims like that. Or rather, it screams, SCAM, then closes. If you need additional protein, and cannot get it by eating more meat, nuts, and dairy (assuming you want protein and not iron), I would go for protein powder in a form recommended by your midwife, and putting that into a shake with fresh yoghurt and fruit.

Ultimately, no pun intended, it is a pre-processed food which never matches up to the real thing.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#28 of 189 Old 03-23-2009, 01:53 AM

Ignore mode?! Whats that?! Testing testing!!

#29 of 189 Old 03-23-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
Happy first spring to you too Amy!

Speaking of massage, have you heard of the mayan uterine massage... Great for prolapse pervention.

I havent hard of it but I looked it up and I couldnt find a specific set of instructions for it, only training locations, is it something you have to find a trained person to do?

#30 of 189 Old 03-23-2009, 01:56 AM

damn.

Around 7 I started having intense contractions a few minutes apart... some friends had brought dinner over since I'm on bedrest, and after we ate I felt like I was going into labor. They left pretty soon after those contractions started and I felt like I was going to throw up. I sat in the bathroom for a while and gagged a little bit, but nothing came up. I got a burst of energy and started to think that maybe my labor was starting. I laid down in bed to relax, and my mom called. I didn't want to tell her just in case it wasn't real labor (she'd have gotten in her car immediately and started the drive here) so I pretended I wasn't having contractions... they totally slowed down, and ever since then, they've been irregular and very mild. No baby tonight I guess

I'm so ready!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page