Mothering Forum banner

Daily Chat ~ April 4th

2K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  EdnaMarie 
#1 ·
Good morning ladies. I completely missed yesterday's thread so I hope everyone is doing OK.

My happy news for the day is that I get to have a pregnancy massage this morning, AND I actually slept pretty well last night!
I am so glad it's Saturday!! Also in the good news column: I've decided Monday is going to for sure be my last day at work (yay!), though I'll probably do a little work from home if the babe isn't here by Tuesday/Wednesday. AND my stupid MIL, who was supposed to arrive today, won't be here til Monday! Woot!

Hey, I thought this would be kind of fun...I went to our roll-call page so we could see who all's due date is today. Some of the babies are here already!

HAPPY DUE DATE, MAMAS!!!!!

April 4th
username: buckeye_mama
baby number: 2
username: dex_millie
baby number: 2
username: doglady
baby number: 1
gender: Want it to be a surprise, but not sure if I'll be able to hold out!

username: Elroebot
due date: 4/4 (wouldn't you know it, 4 was always my lucky number!)
baby number: 1!

username: KnitLady
baby number: 1 m/c and 1 DS
username: lj2blessed
baby number: our first!

user name: Munkeesmama
baby number: 4
gender: (for now anyways, subject to change at a moment's notice.)

username: scraphappy-Red
baby number: #4 (but 6th pregnancy overall 2x )
See less See more
#2 ·
Oh, I forgot to say, I have been having dreams every night for the past few nights about losing my mucous plug. I swear, I'm just about wiping myself raw the past couple of days hoping to find *some* evidence that it's coming out!!
:

#3 ·
was having a few contractions last night but it wasn't anything - boo!
Ah well.
Taking my dd for an easter egg hunt and we have to be there at 10 so it's getting up early and everything for us - dh better get in the shower or i'll yell at him.

#4 ·
I am due a week from today, and so far I've just had some cramping on and off. I'm thinking it's probably the baby's head engaging. So I think I have at least another week to go since I've had no other signs!

#7 ·
I slept quite well, except for a brief interlude in the wee hours of the morning. But I got to hear the birds singing and that made up for it. Then slept until 10. Now getting ready for a late breakfast before going in to work. Luckily this is the last Saturday I am doing this for a while.

#8 ·
Yesterday I lost bits of blood-tinged mucous through the day, and was very crampy all afternoon. My sister was leaving town for her boyfriend's sister's wedding and was due to get on a ferry at 3. So I called her to give her a heads-up- we had a back-up childcare plan, and I just wanted to let her know that things might happen while she was away. So she cancelled her plans and stayed in town
: I love my sister! Now here's hoping I'm not the one who cried wolf...

I had a beer before bed and things settled down. I slept amazingly for five hours, and then was woken by Neela yelling. She has gasteroenteritis, and my husband and I spent several hours dealing with puke and poop
Luckily the homebirth supplies come in handy- we had electrolyte drinks well stocked and lots of extra towels, waterproof pads and other stuff easily on hand.

So... this seems to have knocked out whatever early labour I may have been in. Now I'm on laundry duty. The silver lining is that by round three she finally learned how to puke in a bucket, so her bed and the couch were hit, but our bed was spared
Mel, ever the optimist

#12 ·
DH is working today, which is good because he'll be taking time off after baby's arrival, but it really doesn't feel like a Saturday.
Sad.

I think I'm going to make a pound cake today. I found a great sale on butter a week ago and stocked up, and then our family sent us home with three dozen eggs and four gallons of milk (they farm, and it is spring, so the time of plenty!), so it seems like a good time. Plus I LOVE poundcake and want to freeze one for after baby.
: After DS was born someone gave us a poundcake, and I kept it in the freezer and would just slice off a big hunk and eat it half frozen with a big glass of milk. A great (if maybe not ideal healthwise...) fast snack for that first period when all the help leaves and you don't have things together enough (or the energy) to make 'real food.'

I hung the diapers on the line today. DS enjoyed that- I had him on my back in the mai tai, so he just hung out. He loves being outside! Then since we were outside already and it was so pretty, I picked a bunch of daffodils and dandelions and put them in the kitchen windowsill. They look so cheerful! Hopefully they'll encourage me to finish off the rest of the dishes that I've been procrastinating on!

I found a semi dressy maternity outfit from last time that I haven't worn yet. (It isn't easy to nurse in, so I hadn't unpacked it, but DS is nursing way less so it will work now.) I'm not wild about lavender jumpers usually, or enormous coordinating sweaters, but at this point, I was so thrilled to find that I had a "new" outfit to wear to church tomorrow that it didn't even matter. Hopefully it will help compensate for having to deal with the (well-intentioned, kind, excited-for-baby) people who say things like, "So, no baby yet?"

"Uh, yeah, actually, we did have the baby, but we left it home with a sitter."
(PLEASE! People, it is totally obvious I haven't had the baby yet! I know it is only small talk but still!)

#13 ·
I have a massage gift certificate to use, too. My midwife gave it to me two weeks ago, and it's time to schedule that massage!! I woke up at 4:30 and finally took a bath around 6 so I could get back to sleep.
I think I may have slept in today if it hadn't been for the neighborhood dog who woke me up digging through a garbage bag I left on my back deck ...

There is a parade going on right now, and I'm sure it's beautiful - part of the Azalea Festival. Is it terrible that I don't want to go?

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Oh, I forgot to say, I have been having dreams every night for the past few nights about losing my mucous plug. I swear, I'm just about wiping myself raw the past couple of days hoping to find *some* evidence that it's coming out!!
:
i had a very realistic dream last night about my water breaking...very disappointing
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peony View Post
I slept ok last night as well.
:.
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Yesterday I lost bits of blood-tinged mucous through the day, and was very crampy all afternoon. My sister was leaving town for her boyfriend's sister's wedding and was due to get on a ferry at 3. So I called her to give her a heads-up- we had a back-up childcare plan, and I just wanted to let her know that things might happen while she was away. So she cancelled her plans and stayed in town

I had a beer before bed and things settled down. I slept amazingly for five hours, and then was woken by Neela yelling. She has gasteroenteritis, and my husband and I spent several hours dealing with puke and poop
Luckily the homebirth supplies come in handy- we had electrolyte drinks well stocked and lots of extra towels, waterproof pads and other stuff easily on hand.

So... this seems to have knocked out whatever early labour I may have been in. Now I'm on laundry duty. The silver lining is that by round three she finally learned how to puke in a bucket, so her bed and the couch were hit, but our bed was spared
Mel, ever the optimist

yay for bloody mucous and puke in a bucket
:
: (don't hear that every day). Hope the labor picks up again.

I had cereal for breakfast and I'm hungry again.
:

#15 ·
I was wrong about the bucket- it's still "hit and miss". So far our bed is still okay, but I think it's the only puke-free zone in the house.

I just made a run for more electrolyte drinks, gingerale and emergen-C. Here's hoping I don't catch it too (or if I do that it triggers the labour and birth!).

It's 9:45 and I'm already bored. Our plan for the day is to let Neela watch as many movies as she wants, and try to keep her in one place with a bucket nearby. Maybe I'll knit something for the baby...

#16 ·
Quote:

I was wrong about the bucket- it's still "hit and miss". So far our bed is still okay, but I think it's the only puke-free zone in the house.

I just made a run for more electrolyte drinks, gingerale and emergen-C. Here's hoping I don't catch it too (or if I do that it triggers the labour and birth!).

It's 9:45 and I'm already bored. Our plan for the day is to let Neela watch as many movies as she wants, and try to keep her in one place with a bucket nearby. Maybe I'll knit something for the baby...
sounds pretty miserable...good luck

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nancy11 View Post
<< me, too!

Congrats! And I hope your cat feels better soon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnatty View Post

I think I'm going to make a pound cake today. I found a great sale on butter a week ago and stocked up, and then our family sent us home with three dozen eggs and four gallons of milk (they farm, and it is spring, so the time of plenty!), so it seems like a good time. Plus I LOVE poundcake and want to freeze one for after baby.
: After DS was born someone gave us a poundcake, and I kept it in the freezer and would just slice off a big hunk and eat it half frozen with a big glass of milk. A great (if maybe not ideal healthwise...) fast snack for that first period when all the help leaves and you don't have things together enough (or the energy) to make 'real food.'
Poundcake sound awsome. I want some too.

I changed my plans, and I am now helping DH drywall the new office, an important step in getting the old office ready for the baby. For the last month, I've let DH strip the three layers of wallpaper and knock the plaster off the walls by himself, but I'm getting too impatient to let him finish the drywall by himself. And surprisingly, it is actually fun to do some remodeling for a change. Now, I'm taking a break while DH is picking up some lunch. So hungry.

#19 ·
OMG, stomach viruses are so miserable. I am so thankful that dd has good control of her vomiting now and will wait for a bowl or toilet to throw up. I can't tell you how many times in the past I had to wash puke out of her (formerly long) hair in the middle of the night. She has had many stomach viruses. I really hope you don't get it, MelW!

I'd love some pound cake, too!

#20 ·
38 weeks today

I'm totally exhausted. Went to an easter egg hunt and then a home and leisure show. Got a free mini massage, eh...she wasn't that great though.

Last night had a bunch of fresh pineapple. Now I so want more! I heard you have to eat the core part to get the good stuff that some say helps ripens you, but that's ok, because the core hard part is my favorite part.

Still having some contractions here and there...no normal pattern or nothing. I told baby he's welcome to come out now and we're all excited to meet him. I took a bath last night and it was SO SO nice and relaxing! I think I'll have to take another one tonight!

Got news from my mom that grandpa passed away. he was pretty old and had servere dimentia (totally spelled wrong i'm sure). He's been in hopsice care for about a year so it wasn't a surprise or anything. Even before that I wouldn't see him a lot at all and even when i did he had no clue who i was. Knew I was one of my mom's kids, but never could remember my name, even when I was little. I'm more of a feeling of sad for my mom. She's visited once a week (or more) since he went into assisted living over 5 years ago and recently had been going every day. It's been tough on her since the other sister and brother were NO help at all! Oh and I can't go to the funeral or anything. It'd be an hour or a little more away and I have quick labor so totally out of the question.

I need to go take a nap now

#21 ·
i keep having gobs and gobs and gobs of mucus but no blood. it's so annoying. i also have such extreeeeme pressure in my crotch it's unreal. and contractions.

GAH!!

i'm 39w1d today.

throughout this whole pregnancy, any time someone has asked me what date i think she'll be born i've always just instinctually said 4/4. which is today.

and there are no major signs of impending labor. *sigh*

#22 ·
DD had her sibiling class today at the hospital. It was good and cute! She enjoyed learning about baby and saw the maternity ward and a baby through the nursery glass. The teacher asked the kids how they keep their bodies healthy (leading up to how to keep baby healthy) and DD said "I get adjusted" it was sooo cute, I love that she knows how much the chiro helps her! Then we went to her ballet class...Okay better get on with our day, DH is antsy as it's yucky outside and he has no projects.

I was hoping baby was going to come this weekend but I'm only having cramping so...probably not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FischK View Post
Btw, I am at 37 weeks today. Finally full-term!
I hit full term on Thursday!!! It's a relief as now I know my midwives can deliver with no hesitations from the overseeing docs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnatty View Post
DH is working today, which is good because he'll be taking time off after baby's arrival, but it really doesn't feel like a Saturday.
Sad.

I hung the diapers on the line today. DS enjoyed that- I had him on my back in the mai tai, so he just hung out. He loves being outside! Then since we were outside already and it was so pretty, I picked a bunch of daffodils and dandelions and put them in the kitchen windowsill. They look so cheerful!
My Dh will be working tomorrow for a few hours
oh well, at least I"ll have some scrapbooking time at the coffee house if DD cooperates!

Oh how lucky for you to be outside. It is crummy here in Iowa, well just windy and chilly and snow is expected tomorrow...I need spring to come SOON!!!!

Quote:

Yeah for a caring sister! They don't always come like that so you should feel blessed. HOpe this is your time!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Good morning ladies. I completely missed yesterday's thread so I hope everyone is doing OK.

My happy news for the day is that I get to have a pregnancy massage this morning, AND I actually slept pretty well last night!
I am so glad it's Saturday!! Also in the good news column: I've decided Monday is going to for sure be my last day at work (yay!), though I'll probably do a little work from home if the babe isn't here by Tuesday/Wednesday. AND my stupid MIL, who was supposed to arrive today, won't be here til Monday! Woot!
yeah for the pregnancy massage...I so wanted someone to give me a GC for this but noone did...they even had chances for my birthday and christmas. Oh well maybe after babies born I'll give myself a gift of massage. Enjoy AMY!!!!

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by IncaMama View Post
i keep having gobs and gobs and gobs of mucus but no blood. it's so annoying. i also have such extreeeeme pressure in my crotch it's unreal. and contractions.
I didn't see any blood before I went into labor, so don't get too down about it.

I'm in the hospital with Mathias again.... He has RSV.

#24 ·
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Matias! I'm sending lots of healing energy your way and hoping he's breathing easily and home again soon!!

nancy and FischK, congrats on reaching full term! Any time now, babies

Murph, sorry about your grandpa. With dementia I feel like you mourn twice- when you first "lose" the person to dementia and again when they die. I hope your mom can find the support she needs

Neela can't keep anything down for long. She's still peeing a little, so not totally dehydrated, but she looks like crap. I might try to get some colostrum into her to see if that helps. She just weaned a couple of months ago, so I'm sure she remembers how. And who knows...could help bring back those contractions, too

#25 ·
Not sure if it's almost time or not... But I was sitting at my computer and all of a sudden felt wetness down there... It started about 45 minutes ago and has come and gone with small amounts of clear watery fluid. I'm assuming this is my water breaking? Man I feel dumb.
smartycat and I joked that I probably wouldn't know I was in labor until his head was halfway out and now I'm wondering it this might be the case.
She just left for work about an hour or so ago, and it takes about 30 minutes for her to get home. I don't want it to be a false alarm or anything but if it's time, she should probably head home sometime in the next couple hours, right? Earlier this morning, I was having a lot of back-to-back contractions. They weren't painful or really any different than those of the past few days so I didn't think too much of them. In the past hour I've had maybe one more contraction.

If this is it, I just can't wait to meet our son!!!
:

ok, going back to read the posts here now.

#26 ·
Yay, Quasar! How exciting! I hope things get going for you today!

Mel, same for you - that's great about your mucous plug, but crapola timing with Neela being sick.
I hope she is feeling better soon and you can get on with your birthin' business.

I have had the BEST day. I had my massage this morning, which was wonderful (so wonderful!) but the really awesome part was meeting the massage therapist. She's this older woman (mid-50s maybe) who was just incredibly wise and interesting to talk to, so we actually spent more time talking than massaging. She seemed kind of like Peggy O'Mara, actually, and we talked about what it's like being a mom in this generation, being a woman, how isolated we all are without "villages," etc, and she talked about how she really wants to get connected with the current generation of mothers (like our crowd) so that she can she her wisdom and nurturing. She's someone I definitely want to stay in touch with. It was great.

After that I went and had lunch *by myself* at one of my favorite mediterranean restaurants, and had flafel (
) and then a big fat brownie. Ahhhh, heaven, I tell you. Now I feel totally rested and restored and READY FOR BIRTH!

Ya hear that, Baby?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.