PP Mamas, how are we doing? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-23-2009, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eden had her 2 wk ped check-up yesterday (at 12 days old)! She weighs 9 lbs 8 oz!! That's half a pound over her birth weight, which means she's gained 1 lb 2 oz in 10 days, b/c at day 2 she had lost 10 oz. : Go Boob Juice!!

Anyone else facing the co-sleeping dilemma? We had p;anned to put baby in an arm's reach when we got home from the bc, but I just couldn't have her that far away and she seemed to hate it. The nurses/mws at the bc are all supportive of co-sleeping and have evidence/science to back up the benefits, while our pediatrician has evidence and science backing up his point of view, that babies are safest and parents are sanest with baby in a bassinet or crib next to the bed. Then there are the ramifications for future sleeping arrangements...do I really want baby in bed with us 6 months or 1 year (or 2 or 3) down the road? Not really. Am I setting her up for failure at sleeping on her own? And then I think she's only 13 days old and she needs my comfort and presence And it's so much easier to nurse her in bed....

I guess I'm just wondering what your sleeping arrangements are now that baby's actually here...best laid plans, kwim?

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 04:22 PM

Wow that's awesome she is gaining so well. It always made me feel good to hear this.

Here's my input on sleeping just do what your instincts tell you for your baby, every baby is different. With my first he slept in bed with us in the early weeks and then was in a bassinet, he started sleeping through the night at 11 weeks and never night nursed after that unless he was ill. We made the decision to move him to a crib in his own room. This worked for him and us. My dd was totally different she started out sleeping with us and then at 6 months she was getting too playful at night in bed so we put her in a crib in our room. This lasted until she was 2 when she mostly night weaned and we moved him into the room with her brother. She was a completely different baby and I just followed my instincts. The funny thing with dd was I was the one that was wanting her out of our room, my dh kept dragging his feet about it, she's totally a daddy's girl! Our new little guy is in bed with us as of right now and we will see how it goes, he sleeps really well right now snuggled up next to me and I'm just enjoying this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
Eden had her 2 wk ped check-up yesterday (at 12 days old)! She weighs 9 lbs 8 oz!! That's half a pound over her birth weight, which means she's gained 1 lb 2 oz in 10 days, b/c at day 2 she had lost 10 oz. : Go Boob Juice!!

Anyone else facing the co-sleeping dilemma? We had p;anned to put baby in an arm's reach when we got home from the bc, but I just couldn't have her that far away and she seemed to hate it. The nurses/mws at the bc are all supportive of co-sleeping and have evidence/science to back up the benefits, while our pediatrician has evidence and science backing up his point of view, that babies are safest and parents are sanest with baby in a bassinet or crib next to the bed. Then there are the ramifications for future sleeping arrangements...do I really want baby in bed with us 6 months or 1 year (or 2 or 3) down the road? Not really. Am I setting her up for failure at sleeping on her own? And then I think she's only 13 days old and she needs my comfort and presence And it's so much easier to nurse her in bed....

I guess I'm just wondering what your sleeping arrangements are now that baby's actually here...best laid plans, kwim?

Michelle : wife to wonderful hubby mama to Jude (10/03) Annika (4/06)
Zane (3/09): : : :
Old 04-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
: Yeah! Noah weighed 9 lbs. 11 ozs. at birth and weighed 11 lbs. 5.5 ozs. at 2wks and 1 day! :

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:22 PM

Kate, one thing I have learned from having ds1 is just stay in the moment and parent for the 'now' and not necessarily for what will happen in X amount of months or years. You'll cross that bridge soon enough.
Even though I co-slept with my own mom and grama, I was pretty freaked at co-sleeping with ds1. I went with so little sleep in the first 6 weeks just because I 'had' to get him back in the bassinette. He wouldn't sleep more then 20 minutes while not touching someone, so you can imagine how little sleep I got in that time. I also did some unsafe co-sleeping practices (sleeping on couch with babe) which I didn't know about at the time but did it for sanity. Little did I know that having baby sleep on me in bed was much safer then on the couch
So now I follow the philosophy that everyone in the family should sleep where EVERYONE gets the most sleep. This can change from night to night and it might be ideal for one family and not another. Presently ds1 is sleeping in is own bed in his own room with dh, and I am sleeping in our queen with ds2. We do have a co-sleeper but ds2 has never actually slept 'in' it, I just use it for extra blankets and my snack.

I wouldn't worry about bad habits. In fact I look at co-sleeping as good sleeping habits, as you are following your instincts and your babies needs. And who really wants to sleep alone? I know I'd rather sleep beside someone.
And you'll hear 'bad habits' about all sorts of things here on MDC, breastfeeding past 6 months, babywearing, comfort nursing, nursing to sleep, not doing time outs, or spanking etc.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 04-23-2009, 08:09 PM

So...my LO is rolling over already. He definitely prefers his stomach and will head that way whenever possible. I have to watch where I set him down!

Anyone else lose a ton of weight already? Maybe it's just my anemia and my body being a bit icky...but I've lost 30 of the 55lbs I gained. Of course, I think most of that 55 was water weight because my feet and ankles were ALWAYS puffy!

On co-sleeping: It's easier for me Yes, he likes it too...when DH was visiting we discovered that a lot of his nighttime fussing was just being alone in the bassinet. Touching him and talking to him put him right back to sleep most of the time. So, when he sleeps, he sleeps better next to me for right now. DH wondered if we were spoiling him...but I really don't care right now. I love having my baby right there where I can see him AND it makes night feedings and changes a lot easier because I don't have to get up and down out of bed. (My body reacted badly to this the first couple of nights...it increased my PP bleeding when it had started to go down) I'm just enjoying the baby moments right now! Hopefully in a few weeks we'll both feel better about sleeping "apart" (next to the bed) but for right now I'm trusting my gut. My inlaws have said "Once you start him sleeping with you you'll never get him out" and I just don't see it... I'm sure when he's 15 he'll want his own bed

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 04-23-2009, 08:49 PM

Hi Ladies, my little guy is one week old today. This C section is a little more painful to recover from than my last. Ramsay is doing fantastic, back to birth weight and eating often.

About co sleeping, I have a lot of feelings about it, based on facts, but I am not very articulate right now.I look at it like something that every mammal does & worldwide, most humans do it. Its just here in the US that we make it harder on ourselves with cribs and stuff. I do think some babies come out preferring their own space & thats OK, but most of the time our instincts are telling us to stay close to baby at night & we get wrong advice from family & from peds.

The AAP is opposed but read the studies, most were funded by crib companies.

I also rely on cosleeping as part of the plan of ecological breastfeeding, which helps me keep my cycles away longer, although I know it doesn't work for everyone! For me it makes a good form of b.c.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
Old 04-23-2009, 09:13 PM

i'm a pretty staunch supporter of co-sleeping. it seems completely unnatural to ask anybody to sleep alone unless they seem to or say that they prefer it. in so many other cultures it's unheard of to sleep alone.

so my default is co-sleeping, UNLESS it seems to NOT be preferred by any of the people involved. obviously, listening to our children's and partners' cues is priority number 1. but all things being equal, it makes sense for families to share sleep. it's such a vulnerable time and such a perfect time for closeness.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 PM

Re: Co-sleeping, we did not in the beginning, at least not all night, but that didn't stop me from having a toddler in my bed. In my experience, just not having an infant in your bed does not mean not having a toddler in your bed. Mine came in when she started teething at 13 months, because I could NOT deal with getting up every hour. It also does not mean baby will "learn" to sleep in the cradle or crib. What will happen, if baby needs you, will be a crying baby or a mom sitting in a rocking chair holding baby.

I'm not pro-co-sleeping- whatever you want. But your doctor is unloading mythical sleeping stories on you.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 04-23-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:

doesnt it feel good to know baby is growing so well because of you? i was so proud when i heard how much gwyn was gaining. lol. as far as the co sleeping goes, i started off with the idea that she would be in the co sleeper, just because our bed is pretty small. well, since then i have made room for her because she just does not sleep as well unless she is next to me. and i need my sleep! she has her own corner of the bed, and i feel that she is quite safe there. when she wakes up all i have to do is stroke her hair and hold her little hand and she goes back to sleep (unless she is hungry, lol). the co sleeper makes a very handy changing table though! in the hospital, the midwife was very supportive of cosleeping, which i thought was great. especially because dh heard her explain the benefits, and he was always anti- cosleeping. as far as the baby wanting to sleep in your bed as it grows, i would say yes- most kids want to sleep with their parents. most of my friends who are not into cosleeping still have their kids trying to climb into bed with them late at night. just go with your gut and do what will work for your family. my 5 yo dd recently asked me to get her her own bed, and i was surprised at how sad it made me. so she will be getting a big girl bed when we move into our new place . oh well!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbass View Post
: Yeah! Noah weighed 9 lbs. 11 ozs. at birth and weighed 11 lbs. 5.5 ozs. at 2wks and 1 day! :
wow! awesome!

Thanks for all the great replies on co-sleeping. I think I might see if baby will take a nap in th co-sleeper now and then, but otherwise focus on making my bed as safe as possible.

In other news I found a big old crack in the underside of my nipple today which likely explains a lot of my pain. I went in to see the lc and she gave me some soothies and suggested feeding in the football hold to try and change the latch positioning. But I'm starting to think i'll need to replace a few feedings a day with pumping..i just can't take it. it's so frustrating because every time dd cries in hunger i'm getting a feeling of dread, which is so unfair to her and really ruins the experience for us both. i was so looking forward to bfing.,

Old 04-23-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
In other news I found a big old crack in the underside of my nipple today which likely explains a lot of my pain. I went in to see the lc and she gave me some soothies and suggested feeding in the football hold to try and change the latch positioning. But I'm starting to think i'll need to replace a few feedings a day with pumping..i just can't take it. it's so frustrating because every time dd cries in hunger i'm getting a feeling of dread, which is so unfair to her and really ruins the experience for us both. i was so looking forward to bfing.,
Aww, Mama, I'm sorry! That's rough. Can you alternate pumping and BFing? Like, BF on the side that isn't cracked and then offer a bottle for the side that is until it heals?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 04-24-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Aww, Mama, I'm sorry! That's rough. Can you alternate pumping and BFing? Like, BF on the side that isn't cracked and then offer a bottle for the side that is until it heals?
I really don't want to give her a bottle for a couple more weeks. I'll just use what I pump as freezer supply. I think I can still stomach a few feedings a day, but I'm just hoping that healing the crack will solve some issues. I know this will increase my supply, but I just have to hope it will all work out.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My inlaws have said "Once you start him sleeping with you you'll never get him out" and I just don't see it... I'm sure when he's 15 he'll want his own bed
laughup

I'm so going to say that to DH the next time he harps on me about pushing DS into the bassinet when he obviously needs the closeness of his parents.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:01 AM

Kate, ow ow ow

I had a split nipple with ds1, so I soooo know how awful it is. I changed to a football hold and it worked wonders.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 04-24-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:

Anyone else lose a ton of weight already? Maybe it's just my anemia and my body being a bit icky...but I've lost 30 of the 55lbs I gained. Of course, I think most of that 55 was water weight because my feet and ankles were ALWAYS puffy!
FOR SURE! I was a little depressed when I came home from the hospital, as I had only lost 8lbs after the birth... after 3 weeks (now) I've lost 30 pounds and have 30 left to lose! Of the 60 I gained... a lot of it was definitely water, I closely resembled the stay-puff marshmallow man in the final days of my pg (add in the 3 bags of fluid pumped in me through IV in the hospital - GULP!)

I'm looking forward to what my body does in the next month....

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

Old 04-24-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
wow! awesome!

Thanks for all the great replies on co-sleeping. I think I might see if baby will take a nap in th co-sleeper now and then, but otherwise focus on making my bed as safe as possible.

Kate - I was in tears for the first 2 weeks (in toe-curling, cringing pain, complete with blisters all over my nipples and a crack on my right side) when Parker would latch and nurse. It would continue to hurt through most of the feeding. It wore me down (physically AND emotionally) and I thought I MUST be doing something wrong for it to hurt so bad... and how long can I continue to do this for? Looking back now... here's what helped/worked (I'm no pro... but his is just what I experienced)
• slather on nipple cream (lansinoh or I use earth mama angel baby nipple butter) after every feeding
• switch up positions when feeding (I found the clutch/football hold to help get a good look at the latch) it took me a bit longer to get comfortable with the cradle hold
• When I was really hurting - I would take 2 motrin to help with the pain and make it through the next few feedings (sometimes it wouldn't even give me much relief... but I took it anyways)
• I also feel that a lot of relief came with sticking with it (nursing through the pain) and Parker getting through the learning curve. I feel that (baby learning to nurse correctly/effectively) has a much of an impact as does the toughening up of our nipples....lol.

oh... I also have really fabulous wool nursing pads. They keep my boobs warm and comfortable and my nipples totally protected. I couldn't live without them! (they're LANACARE, I think?)

I really couldn't see any light at the end of the tunnel - I almost can't believe I made it through. I even went out to lunch with another mommy friend of mine today and nursed in public for the first time! I was totally liberating.

I hope things get better for you and you feel some relief soon. I also felt the guilt about dreading nursing because of the pain.... it didn't help the situation any...

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

Old 04-24-2009, 03:16 AM

thanks everyone. boy, my easy pregnancy is coming at a cost

Kim, I just bit the bullet and swaddled her up and fed her in the football hold. Hurt like hell, but I really do want to make it through-thanks for sharing your story, it helped me soldier on.

On the weight thing, tho, i was pleasantly surprised to find out today when I went to the LC (no scale at home) that I've lost 30ish of the 40ish pounds I gained...can't recall the exact number, but anyhow, I'm just 10 lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight. Some of my clothes even fit. Anyway, it's not all bad news.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:57 AM

ouch, kate. yeah i had a cracked nipple on the right side with ds. it was so effing excruciating i thought my nipple was gonna fall off. i know how truly awful that is. and the dread - omg the dread. i know that well. the only thing that ever worked for me, like others have said, is pushing through it. the more breaks i gave my boobs, the worse it was when i went back to it. it was a sick, sick joke. at 4mo, after supplementing and giving myself lots of breaks, i finally just threw away the formula and just *did it*. and it was pretty awful but after 5 days, the pain was gone. all gone. and he nursed until he was 5.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:28 AM

I'm in awe at all of you mamas who have remained committed to breastfeeding in spite of cracked nipples and excruciating pain. I had 2-3 days of moderate pain at the beginning and had the thought, "Now I understand why some women give up on breastfeeding." Things are going much better for me now, btw, but I wanted to make sure that you mamas who have had major difficulties or are currently having them realize how amazing you are. What a bunch of great mothers!

Ooh, gotta go, River needs a diaper change.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
Old 04-24-2009, 11:33 AM

As far co-sleeping goes; everyone outgrows the need at different points. IMO co-sleeping now reduces dc nights in mama's bed later on. None of my children have come back to my bed since they left anywhere from a couple of months old to 4years old. Only dd gas come back to my room and that's only been a handful of times so she could sleep with the humidifer

I'm getting night sweats something terrible I think my thermostat is busted too all day I'm going from hot flash to chill. I actually have goose bumps right now and it's not cold in here

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 04-24-2009, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Phew, I missed a lot!!!!

OK, so as far as co-sleeping goes - how do you get passed the fear that you will roll over on baby during your sleep? He has been sleeping in the crib right next to my bed (in a moses basket) and he sleeps fine there, but I have been feeding in bed and I did fall alseep with him in bed him last night. He was fine, but I was so nervous when I woke up. My mom is a nervous nelly about co-sleeping, but did suggest bringing the moses basket into bed with us which I might try tonight. I need advice because I just love snuggling with him in bed and that is where we nurse anyway.

As for nursing - on and off since Cooper has been born we have been having issues feeding on the right side. My milk is definitely in now (yay!! and he has been giving me a hard time about nursing on the right side again. He loves the left side. Pain is not an issue right now, but we are both getting frustrating. I was waiting to get a pump until I knew how breastfeeding was going to go and now that I know that I love it I am sending DH to the store today to get one. I know I need to keep the milk flowing out of both breasts to keep up production. I'm on the fence as to whether or not to introduce the bottle quite yet - I'm holding off as long as possible but plan to try Kate's route and freeze the milk. I do want DH to be able to feed him too so I am looking forward to being able to give him a bottle so that DH can share in that bond, but I'm going to try to hold off.

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
Old 04-24-2009, 03:04 PM

Quick question, someone on here (I could have sworn it was dawncayden) said something about applying nipple cream right from the start and it really helped, does that sound familiar?

I bought some yesterday to throw in the hospital bag and Im wondering, did you put it on before or after nursing babe? Did you start right away as in the first nursing session or wait for milk to come in?

wife. dd1 : dd2
Old 04-24-2009, 03:55 PM

do it right after. its ok for babe to ingest some (lanolin). it'll help w the drying out that naturally happens after babe nurses. and helps avoid your nipple sticking to the bra (ouch). if you go long stretches w/o nursing you can re-apply in the middle too.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2be_k View Post
FOR SURE! I was a little depressed when I came home from the hospital, as I had only lost 8lbs after the birth... after 3 weeks (now) I've lost 30 pounds and have 30 left to lose! Of the 60 I gained... a lot of it was definitely water, I closely resembled the stay-puff marshmallow man in the final days of my pg (add in the 3 bags of fluid pumped in me through IV in the hospital - GULP!)

I'm looking forward to what my body does in the next month....
I was taking a bath just now and realized that my ankles look weird to me... I had forgotten they had so many visible bones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
I'm in awe at all of you mamas who have remained committed to breastfeeding in spite of cracked nipples and excruciating pain. I had 2-3 days of moderate pain at the beginning and had the thought, "Now I understand why some women give up on breastfeeding." Things are going much better for me now, btw, but I wanted to make sure that you mamas who have had major difficulties or are currently having them realize how amazing you are. What a bunch of great mothers!

Ooh, gotta go, River needs a diaper change.
I've said that SO many times since I started. I just keep telling myself "The women on MDC said it gets easier. Just give it a month and you'll be fine. There's a learning curve for everyone involved."

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanders4 View Post
Phew, I missed a lot!!!!

OK, so as far as co-sleeping goes - how do you get passed the fear that you will roll over on baby during your sleep? He has been sleeping in the crib right next to my bed (in a moses basket) and he sleeps fine there, but I have been feeding in bed and I did fall alseep with him in bed him last night. He was fine, but I was so nervous when I woke up. My mom is a nervous nelly about co-sleeping, but did suggest bringing the moses basket into bed with us which I might try tonight. I need advice because I just love snuggling with him in bed and that is where we nurse anyway.
Honestly, I don't worry about rolling over on him. I'm VERY aware of where he is no matter how asleep I may be. The first couple of nights I was more worried about HIM rolling over and suffocating! I have no fears as far as I'm concerned...and I've konked out pretty hard a couple of times.
Usually, your mother instinct will kick in and you'll just KNOW that he's there in bed.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:10 PM

Well, I've only read the last couple pages, but I'll jump in anyway...

Miriam is konked out on my chest... she naps way longer when being held, of course, so I'm looking forward to when I'm more recovered and we can take advantage of the sling for that. With DS I didn't figure out the sling until he was four or five months old, so I'm excited about getting to use it with a newborn this time! We've already pulled it out and I've used it a few times, mostly so I can nurse and eat at the same time! I totally forgot it takes BOTH hands to nurse at first. I'm so used to my one year old, who can just sit on my lap and nurse without any help.

Miriam has a pretty good latch, but I do need to work on it... I'm struggling a little bit with how, because DS never had any problems latching on. I'm glad I read the suggestion of the football hold... that may help. Her problem is shes not flaring her bottom lip correctly, so her top lip is fine but it is pinching a little bit because her mouth isn't opening enough. I'm in deathly fear of becoming sore (two nurslings, one of whom depends on nursing to get to sleep easily), so I'm motivated to work on it for sure.

I'm feeling well. After my last birth I felt like I'd been hit by a train, this time I'm feeling WAY better. Ravenous and fighting dehydration headaches because it seems like I just cannot drink enough no matter what, but not sore from head to toe like last time. My four stitches are also healing better (I'm guessing, they're definitely hurting less) and unlike last time I don't feel them whenever I move. So that is exciting!

As far as sleeping goes... I had a mother of eight tell me, "For the first two weeks, do WHATEVER it takes for everybody to sleep." We're cosleeping right now, in a couple of weeks when I have more energy the plan is for her to start the night in the playpen/bassinet/crib whatever (not sure which yet) and then come join us when she wakes for the first time. DS never slept anywhere but with us, which was fine except that with pregnancy and now a new baby we've had to transition him out, and that was a LOT of work. I don't regret cosleeping with him, but I do want to work harder this time on getting her comfortable with not ALWAYS sleeping in our bed/next to me.

Of course, that is always subject to change.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:43 PM

I'm 1 week pp today! I am SO IN LOVE with this little guy. He is the cutest thing I've ever seen. For some reason, bonding happened right away this time around and overall I just feel so much more positive about everything.

How are you recovering?

Pretty good, I had a 2nd degree tear (power pushed at that last moment) with a few stitches but it feels like its healing OK. HOT baths with epsom salt are helping. Healing is WAY better and easier this time than the first time around with the episiotomy. I think a large part of this better healing is actually mental, just due to feeling better about the birth.

How is your new LO?

Perfect, beautiful, funny. He s so good-natured and hardly seems to cry. Again some of this might be due to my having a better feeling about the birth process this time.

How is breastfeeding going?

Sore nips for sure. DS latches pretty good, then the next time it'll be like he's forgotten how and he'll get frustrated and end up screaming and head-butting my breast. I've heard the air between sucks, which I know means latch problem and I've had to make sure and get him fish lips a few times. Much easier than the first time around though.

As an aside, DH wants to be able to feed him and was talking about buying formula- ugh. He's also given him a paci a few times already, which always ends up in a complete fight and me breaking down in tears.

How is the rest of your family doing?

DS #1 is nearly 3 years old now and I am shocked at how much he has grown up and gained independence in the past few weeks. I understand what some of you other mamas were saying about heartbreak. DS is so excited to have a brother, he is so cute and loving and that breaks my heart in and of itself. He is alternating between ignoring me and clinging to daddy, outright saying he doesn't like me , or wanting my attention piteously (usually when I have arms full and can't give it to him). We've had a few nights where he's fallen asleep on the floor before we even realize it or days where we look back and think "What did he eat today?", so its hard balancing life and attention with a newborn and toddler. DH is as cranky as can be, I think he handles sleep deprivation even worse than most, but he is also loving the new baby and time with DS 1 even though his threshold for toddler shenanigans is somewhat diminished.

What else would you like to share?

I labored for 12 hours and had been up quite some time and hadn't eaten for a good long while. After the birth, I was too hyped up on adrenaline to eat or sleep and kind of just kept going on that and coffee for a few days before I hit a wall completely. My immune system just tanked and I got a cold and am fighting symptoms of an ear infection as well. I'm trying to be a good girl now and eat and sleep and take my vitamins and everything so I can produce much milk and get healthy again.

Random thought sticking with me is that I got all the way to 8cm before losing it and demanding an epidural, so I keep wondering if I could have made it and how it might have affected the outcome or birth time or whatever- things we'll never know and too late to change. I guess I am feeling a bit of a failure for that, but overall happy with my birth experience and honestly I was so deliriously happy when the epidural kicked in.

Oh and I got DS in the sling today! He hated the cradle-carry but liked the hold where he was facing me on my chest. He seems to enjoy being outside and the weather has been great.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Old 04-24-2009, 06:47 PM

I've been trying to get to posting after a couple of attempts today. I've been thinking about you Kate- I think if your nipples are cracked and you're still having lots of pain with latching it's worth trying to find another LC or LLL leader to have a look at your latch. Sometimes a different person's "trick" will help with the latch to not do further damage and get a comfortable latch. Even with very damaged nipples you can have comfortable feeds if you can find a way for baby to latch really well that doesn't put pressure on the crack.

I have had clients that I have been able to help fix their latch problems and they could feed comfortably. Other times I have referred to an LC or breastfeeding clinic, and had someone else find a solution for them. I encourage all of my clients to keep trying until they find someone that helps for them. You may have to filter out different people's opinions to find what works for you and your baby, but I think that generally a second opinion is helpful

Also for anyone pumping/resting a nipple- cup feeding a newborn can be a possible alternative to bottle feeding. There is a how-to video here.

We're also a very flexibly sleeping family. Nora spends part of some nights in the bassinette, some in our bed. One night last week Nora started in the bassinette, joined me in bed, Neela woke up and I went to her bed while Nora slept with Matt, Matt came to get me to feed Nora, I went back to bed with Nora and Matt. Neela then woke up again (she had a cold), she came to our bed and Matt left to sleep in her bed while I stayed in bed with the girls. It was a particularly disrupted night because of colds, but we're pretty "go with the flow".

This thread is getting long- should we go to weekly postpartum chats?

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 04-24-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
I was thinking the same thing...

Everyone is talking about the bottom lip being flared during latch... am I the only one with HUGE breasts that has trouble finding his bottom lip?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanders4 View Post
Phew, I missed a lot!!!!

As for nursing - on and off since Cooper has been born we have been having issues feeding on the right side. My milk is definitely in now (yay!! and he has been giving me a hard time about nursing on the right side again. He loves the left side. Pain is not an issue right now, but we are both getting frustrating. I was waiting to get a pump until I knew how breastfeeding was going to go and now that I know that I love it I am sending DH to the store today to get one. I know I need to keep the milk flowing out of both breasts to keep up production. I'm on the fence as to whether or not to introduce the bottle quite yet - I'm holding off as long as possible but plan to try Kate's route and freeze the milk. I do want DH to be able to feed him too so I am looking forward to being able to give him a bottle so that DH can share in that bond, but I'm going to try to hold off.
are you feeding in cradle hold? Eden preferred the right side the first couple of days. the lc recommended tricking her for awhile by feeding on the left breast in football hold, so that their heads arent changing position/.

on the co-sleeping, i don't worry about rolling over on her, just about the firmness of the mattress and other environmental factors.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
I've been trying to get to posting after a couple of attempts today. I've been thinking about you Kate- I think if your nipples are cracked and you're still having lots of pain with latching it's worth trying to find another LC or LLL leader to have a look at your latch. Sometimes a different person's "trick" will help with the latch to not do further damage and get a comfortable latch. Even with very damaged nipples you can have comfortable feeds if you can find a way for baby to latch really well that doesn't put pressure on the crack.

I have had clients that I have been able to help fix their latch problems and they could feed comfortably. Other times I have referred to an LC or breastfeeding clinic, and had someone else find a solution for them. I encourage all of my clients to keep trying until they find someone that helps for them. You may have to filter out different people's opinions to find what works for you and your baby, but I think that generally a second opinion is helpful

Also for anyone pumping/resting a nipple- cup feeding a newborn can be a possible alternative to bottle feeding. There is a how-to video here.

We're also a very flexibly sleeping family. Nora spends part of some nights in the bassinette, some in our bed. One night last week Nora started in the bassinette, joined me in bed, Neela woke up and I went to her bed while Nora slept with Matt, Matt came to get me to feed Nora, I went back to bed with Nora and Matt. Neela then woke up again (she had a cold), she came to our bed and Matt left to sleep in her bed while I stayed in bed with the girls. It was a particularly disrupted night because of colds, but we're pretty "go with the flow".

Weekly sounds like a good idea...most of us will be pp soon, if not already.

On the LC, I usually see a different one every time...I've seen three different ladies. I think the football hold and the soothies are helping.

Quote:
Everyone is talking about the bottom lip being flared during latch... am I the only one with HUGE breasts that has trouble finding his bottom lip?
I have small to medium breasts and it's still hard to see. I usually have to dig around.

User Tag List