PP Weekly Thread 5/3 - 5/9 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 142 Old 05-08-2009, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sasharna and Peony, thank you for sharing that info on the bleeding naval. So its really nothing to worry about, I'm relieved. Imagine that! A mom of 5 and I STILL experience something new with each kid.

I hate it when people ask, "Is this your last one?" MIL even asked (after dd#1 was born) what birth control I was using. : My dad's side of the family is the opposite. They think I'm having 7.
#122 of 142 Old 05-08-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
For a girl, have sex BEFORE you ovulate so all the male seeds die off while the female seeds are still awaiting an egg to fertilize. Charting makes great practice at getting to know when you might ovulate.
nak. this is how it went for us. dd conceived 4 days before O. i thought we'd miss it that month because dh would be out of town during O. lol. i was happily surprised!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#123 of 142 Old 05-08-2009, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherweh View Post
Infection in the folds of his armpits! I lifted them up and there was pus! I bathed him last just two days ago and noticed that they were kind of raw looking (they have been just sort of red and painful looking since birth) but I've been washing them with baby soap (Method squeaky green baby clean) and water every 3 days or so when I bathe him and I think I put diaper cream on them one time.

I put Neosporin on them, but any advice? Sigh. It isn't like an adult, where you can just let them air out or something, he always holds his arms in and he has a good deal of chub and little fat folds.
My MW had me apply a solution of distilled water w/ drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract to dd's diaper area when she had yeast as an infant. Because I was nursing her, MW instructed me to drink the solution and take acidophilis pills as well as limit my sugar intake.
During my last pregnancy, I had yeast growth in my armpits several times and the GSE solution cleared it up right away. My toothpaste contains GSE, and claims that it inhibits the formation of sugar acids, or something like that. That would explain why yeast doesn't like it.

HTH!
ETA: Recommended dosage from NutriBiotic GSE website:
Internal Use
Note: Never use GSE full strength, may cause irritation.
Orally. Suggested Use: 5 to 15 drops mixed in 5 ounces of water or juice, 2 to 5 times daily, with or without meals. (Or, take one-two NutriBiotic CapsulesPlus® or one-two NutriBiotic® tablets 1 to 5 times daily). Children(under 10 years): 1 to 6 drops mixed in 5 ounces juice, 2 to 3 times daily. Do not use full strength in mouth.

Dental Rinse. For Healthy Gums and Fresh Breath: Stir 3 drops of NutriBiotic into 2 oz. or more of water. Vigorously swish a small amount of the water for 10 seconds or more, 1 to 2 times daily. Also works as an additive for Waterpik® type units. Add 3 to 4 drops to the water reservoir. Always dilute.

Throat Gargle. Stir 3 drops of NutriBiotic into a small(3 ounces or so) glass of water. Gargle several times. Use as often as needed. Always dilute.

Ear Rinse. Thoroughly mix 3 to 6 drops of NutriBiotic into one ounce of glycerin or alcohol. Apply 1 to 2 drops of this solution in affected ear 1 to 2 times daily. Use as often as needed. Do not use full strength in ears.

Nasal rinse. Mix 1 drop NutriBiotic with 2 ounces of water. With your head tilted back, fill each nostril with a full eye-dropper of the mixed solution. Swing head forward and down(head is now upside down) to force the solution up into nasal passages. Return head to the normal upright position and allow nasal passages to drain. Do not inhale through the nose during this process. Always dilute.

Vaginal Rinse. Mix 5 to 10 drops of NutriBiotic in 6 to 8 ounces of water. Douche once daily for one week. Douche more often if desired. Always dilute

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#124 of 142 Old 05-09-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanders4 View Post
Good luck Kate!! When does DH go back to work?
Thanks...we survived. Nathan goes back next thursday. he's dreading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy11 View Post
Well, cord thing fell off yesterday and we now have an official preference for the bottle.
well, ya do what ya gotta ! good luck with the pumping!

Quote:
Her naval was bleeding yesterday. Cord fell off at day 4 but when opening the naval you can see what looks like fresh umbilical with three dried up veins. The inner circumference is sticky so I seal it. Its wasn't much blood. This morning, her onsis had a lot more blood on it. No blood now. This is really strange.

Has anyone delt with such a thing? Should I be worried? My inner gut says not to worry.
i think as long as you don't have sweeling, you're good.

Quote:

For a girl, have sex BEFORE you ovulate so all the male seeds die off while the female seeds are still awaiting an egg to fertilize. Charting makes great practice at getting to know when you might ovulate.
this is how we got our girl (not on purpose). we dtd the day before O and dh was too tired the day of. I was so mad b/c i thought for sure it was a no-go. but we got our baby. :

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#125 of 142 Old 05-09-2009, 07:25 AM

pak

Since we're bottle fed now, I tried the pacifier. Z can't be fooled. No food comes out... PTUEY!!

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
#126 of 142 Old 05-09-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
I'm in the opposite boat, I want another baby because I want a girl...I just always thought I'd be the mother of a girl...so it's hard to let that dream go. So when ppl ask if we'll try for a girl next time...honestly its a yes I would be so happy if I had another boy, don't get me wrong...but I always invisioned myself with a daughter. And we were going to be done with 2 kids, and I have opened the conversation with dh about *maybe* having a third. We'd be done at three kids though...5 boys later, I'm not going to keep getting pregnant just for a girl, I'm going to have my 'girl dream' go pretty soon. Dh thinks I should let it go now, but it really feels like mourning the loss of a daughter...maybe thats silly

Not silly at all. A friend of mine is pg right now with her 3rd, they are really, really hoping for a girl after two boys as well. I think my irritation with the boy/girl comments is because my girls are always standing right there, and this person is going on and on about how wonderful little boys are, my hubby must be so thrilled to have his "little man", and surely we are done having children now that we have our boy. I'm just standing there thinking, "uh, what about my girls", it's happened in one form or another every time we've been out.

Quote:
pak

Since we're bottle fed now, I tried the pacifier. Z can't be fooled. No food comes out... PTUEY!!
Have you tried the Soothie brand pacifier? I've had some pumping moms tell me that because it's shaped more like a bottle nipple then other binkies that their babe will take it.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#127 of 142 Old 05-09-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
I think my irritation with the boy/girl comments is because my girls are always standing right there, and this person is going on and on about how wonderful little boys are, my hubby must be so thrilled to have his "little man", and surely we are done having children now that we have our boy. I'm just standing there thinking, "uh, what about my girls", it's happened in one form or another every time we've been out.
Well, I only have two but felt like this a bit too. I secretly really DID want a daughter (which is what I have) but didn't find out in advance, and people would always ask in front of my son whether I was "hoping for" a girl or a boy. How weird. I never wanted to answer, first of all out of respect for my then-unborn child, because of course I would have been delighted either way, and then also I didn't want to say anything about it in front of my son, in case he either took it as some sort of reflection upon himself. People also asked HIM what he wanted the baby to be and I would try to remind them that we don't get to choose! (even for those of you for whom charting works... there is still some room for surprise). I am dreading the slew of comments about aren't I "so glad" to have a girl.

I am sure I've let things slip out like that without thinking to other people. I just try to have my own answers ready so that my kids don't hear *me* agreeing with weird thoughtless comments.

dissertating mom to three

#128 of 142 Old 05-09-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
Have you tried the Soothie brand pacifier? I've had some pumping moms tell me that because it's shaped more like a bottle nipple then other binkies that their babe will take it.
No, but I'm not desperate yet...
When he's hungry, there's probably nothing that will satiate him short of the real thing. :-/

#129 of 142 Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
Thanks...we survived. Nathan goes back next thursday. he's dreading it.
Glad you survived!!!! Isn't it nice having him around? I love that my DH is unemployed right now!!!!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#130 of 142 Old 05-10-2009, 12:33 AM

fruitful womb--on the cord-exact same thing happened here. We happened to be at the doctor, and their poking on it made it bleed a lot more than I was comfortable with, but the doctor said it was fine, fell off the next day. Then it did have that 'new cord' look to it, and I called and they said it was fine, and she has the cutest little belly button now...no worries!

Working with Miss K was great!! She took her morning nap (well she usually sleeps most of the morning!) and was fabulous. Though I am still sad about having to go back next week. I can't figure out how I got everything done before...

On the girl/boy thing. Everyone asked me what I wanted (and I had one of each) I think it doesn't matter how many kids you have or their gender, people just ask. And most people don't think about it bothering the kids standing right there....

Well, she scared the crap out of me last night. And reiterated my choice of sleeping with her on me in the recliner for now. With her reflux, she was 'choking' on stuff coming up in her throat, and I can sit her up and it comes out or if its a small amount, she swallows it. But she makes barely any noise when it happens. Last night, I was nursing her, she fell asleep, I sat her up to burp her, and she started the little choke so I leaned her over a bit and I swear the milk just started flowing out of her mouth and nose. It stopped for a second and she wasn't breathing, and then started again. It stopped and this time she gasped for air, and coughed a bit. I swear it had to have been 2 ounces of milk. And she made almost NO NOISE. It didn't come out with force or anything, I just had her leaned over and it was pouring out. I was freaking out inside and trying not to since dd was right there. She really made almost no noise, and had I not been holding her, I'm afraid I would not have heard her. Scares me now just thinking about it. I have been feeling guilty about still being in the recliner, and she's almost 6 weeks, but I don't care anymore. This is where we'll be for a while. Maybe co sleep in a month or 2, doc said the reflux will probably go away after 3 months old, so maybe then, but I don't want to even lay flat with her right now. Am I overprotective?????

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#131 of 142 Old 05-10-2009, 01:46 AM

GM76, you are not overprotective. Mine had reflux and she still has a bit, though mercifully it seems to be subsiding just like our ped (wonderful man) said. I cannot lie flat with baby, or rather, could not, either, though now I can. However, I definitely could hear her breathe and her breathing change even in her cradle when it was right next to the bed, FYI. Of course if you want to hold her in the recliner by all means do, just to let you know that you probably could get a reflux bed and lay down near her.

Though, if you would not be able to sleep while doing that because you'd be too worried about the reflux, there's really no point. Mine would puke out just as I moved her, but also with no noise, and I don't think it's like it wouldn't have come out had I not moved her. It just triggered the vomit and she would do it anyway. So you may not have caught her choking, you know?

I am trying to be comforting, not dismissive, so please just ignore me if I sound like an arrogant donkey.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#132 of 142 Old 05-10-2009, 02:51 AM

aaaaahhh...baby won't.stop.eating! all day. almost no napping. I'm so sore and tired. anyone else? she's 4 weeks now. I think she napped a total of like 2 hours tops today and when sh wasn't sleeping she was (is, nak) eating. this is where ppd starts. i can't do anything

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#133 of 142 Old 05-10-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
aaaaahhh...baby won't.stop.eating! all day. almost no napping. I'm so sore and tired. anyone else? she's 4 weeks now. I think she napped a total of like 2 hours tops today and when sh wasn't sleeping she was (is, nak) eating. this is where ppd starts. i can't do anything
Kate,

I'm up too. Piper wants to party. She was up last night from 2 - 5 am. At it again.
#134 of 142 Old 05-10-2009, 06:39 AM

I always feel like I'm feeding. Some nights we have that three hour stretch of eat fuss eat fuss. He does sleep, though, I just never seem to be able to take advantage of it.

Go Z Go

PAK

#135 of 142 Old 05-10-2009, 10:52 AM

Happy Mother's Day!

: : : :

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#136 of 142 Old 05-10-2009, 01:09 PM

bak

#137 of 142 Old 05-10-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I always feel like I'm feeding. Some nights we have that three hour stretch of eat fuss eat fuss. He does sleep, though, I just never seem to be able to take advantage of it.

Go Z Go

PAK
i was just going to post the same things you guys are talking about. im glad im not the only one going through it. i sat on the couch ALL day yesterday feeding gwyn, with her taking maybe an hour long nap at most. today we are going to MIL for mothers day, and i know im going to spend the entire time on their couch feeding g again. and then they are all going to complain because no one can hold her. ugh!

on a lighter note, i got a nursing bra the other day in the mail. o-m-g, this thing makes my breasts POINTY. LOL. its like i have two cannons strapped to my chest! pretty funny. ill be shopping around for a good, more smoothed out bra though for sure

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#138 of 142 Old 05-10-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPai View Post
My MW had me apply a solution of distilled water w/ drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract to dd's diaper area when she had yeast as an infant. Because I was nursing her, MW instructed me to drink the solution and take acidophilis pills as well as limit my sugar intake.
During my last pregnancy, I had yeast growth in my armpits several times and the GSE solution cleared it up right away. My toothpaste contains GSE, and claims that it inhibits the formation of sugar acids, or something like that. That would explain why yeast doesn't like it.
Thank you for the good advice!

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#139 of 142 Old 05-10-2009, 08:24 PM

Happy mother's day everyone!! I hope you guys get some rest soon

I thought I was getting away with just a few food eliminations, but something is still triggering Nora. Her skin is so horrible- baby acne plus eczema plus some swelling/redness underneath. Mostly just her face. I don't know if it's caused by food, or environmental or something else. But I'm trying a total elimination diet for now. Turkey and rice and not much else

I've survived it before, so I'm sure I can do this again. I told my husband that if we had anymore kids I wanted a sperm donor, and not his allergic genes :P

I also finally gave up on "waiting" for a good skin day and took a bunch of photos of Nora. Poor girl didn't have any photos for a couple of weeks. Now they're spotty, but we have some.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#140 of 142 Old 05-10-2009, 09:41 PM

Ds2 has baby acne pretty bad. Ds1 had it too at this age. I never thought to do an elimination diet. Isn't it caused by hormones?
It lasted 3 or 4 weeks with ds1, and then fully cleared up. He does have some sensitivites/allergies (wheat and dairy) but we discovered that around 12 months of age.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#141 of 142 Old 05-10-2009, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
HBAK (hehe holding baby at keyboard) I am right there with you Kate. I asked about this earlier and remember you saying that Eden went through it and it passed - sorry to hear that it's back again. I feel like I just don't make enough milk to satisfy him and debated supplementing tonight just because he seemed so hungry after I fed him. I pumped and my Mom fed him a good 3 ounces and he ate it right up and seemed like he could eat plenty more. I feel you on the can't do anything thing too. Cooper screams when I put him down and it's very hard at times. I wore him around the house the other day and it helped a lot.

Happy Mother's Day everyone !

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#142 of 142 Old 05-11-2009, 03:51 PM

oops wrong post

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page