Chat Monday June 1st -Sun 7th - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MelW, thats hilarious. I've definitely had people not notice the baby when she is in a wrap, though they've never actually said anything about it like that!

I get so many positive comments from total strangers when I am babywearing Phoebe. All sorts of people just come up and smile and say how peaceful and happy the baby looks, and people have asked me questions along the line of "what do you call that thing that the baby is in?" Also, so far I've only gotten smiles and positive comments when I NIP. (FTR I never got a negative comment when doing it w/ my son either).

Got Phoebe's birth certificate yesterday, she's official! I had to go appear in person with the baby at a special "out of hospital interview room" at the county health services complex. Our midwife made the appointment and met us there, and she can sign all the paperwork and the BC for us. The only part that was anything like an "interview" was when the lady asked if I was married to my husband (no proof required). But it still took about 45 minutes, plus I was almost a half-hour early so I was there for a long time. Wow. Now there are hoops I have to jump through to get a SSN- apparently a signed letter from the MW is no longer sufficient "identification" for the baby- and you need to have two forms of ID. A bill with her name can count, but she hasn't racked up any bills yet. We might do a passport first and then the SSN. (we do live 18 miles from the international border, so its worth having a passport!) Wow. Giving *birth* at home is so convenient, but this stuff afterwards is a PITA. Not that I'd trade them but there you go.

I can't believe that baby is 5 weeks already, that the magic 6-week mark is just around the corner. Wow. I am still exhausted, and my house is a pigsty, I'm back to my pre-preg weight but I feel huge and floppy, my son is frequently driving me crazy, and my social life is nonexistent (though I am trying: going to go see a friend for lunch today and planning to take the kids to a neighbor's informal party and short film showing on Friday). But, I know it will all get better soon, and when I think about how I felt 1 week PP or something, I realize that its a big improvement.

dissertating mom to three

#62 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have to go in and get Julian's BC, I got his SS card last wek and his name was wrong. They left off my last name, all the kids have both our last names. : I'm sure that means the BC is wrong as well. All 3 of my kids have had their BC messed up in some way or other. DD2's was the worst, it took months to get it corrected. I'm so not looking forward to that.

I'm dreading this afternoon. I have an appointment with a child physiologist for my 6y, she isn't coming to this first appointment. DH can't handle all the of the kids alone and my mom is out of town so I have to take the baby with me. I'm dreading the reaction, sigh. This is a new one so I don't know him but DD1's previous physiologist would not be pleased with me bringing another child to an appointment to discuss one child. There is only two in town so isn't not like I have many to choose from, I don't want to get started off on the wrong foot. Hopefully he will understand that Julian is only 5 weeks old.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#63 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Peony-surely he will understand, my ds' psychologist doesn't mind. I always bring dd2 with me.

That's awesome that some wonderful person here was able to pump and share that with Lindsey. This board has given me so much this time around. I really don't know how I did it before without this support. I feel like I love you guys like family and I've never even met you.

dd2 went to dr yesterday, she is 7 pounds 15 ounces now. dr is on board with my delayed vax schedule, and nurse said her daughter was doing the same thing, so that made me very happy. She was grumpy last night, but seems better today. dr said to give her the zantac earlier in the evening, instead of waiting 12 hours and see if that helps. so we are trying it, last night wasn't a good trial though....

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#64 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liseux View Post

Running...Unless I'm being chased it will never happen . My method of exercise is putting the lo on and walking up a really big hill. I prefer the mei tai b/c I can keep the weight centered and closer, but right now I'm just starting out & use a wrap. I put on 55 lbs and have 20 more to go. It did take all of 9 months to get big so I know its a process. Of course I do wish I looked better for summer! I think this pregnancy was the last straw for my legs, they look tragic!
Sorry about the bad outing!
I feel the same about running! I'm hoping going up and down the stairs of my 4 level split house all day with a 10 lb baby attatched to me will be enough excercise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka mommy View Post
I wanted to 2nd liseux. I love this board and this ddc. Its a rad group of women and its been nice to have a place to share and come to. I also have to say it gave me the opportunity to meet one of our own who is local to me. And hopefully i've made another much needed mommy friend who is accepting of my life and parenting! I got to meet Lindsay and she is just as cool and awesome in real life as she is here. She just exudes happiness and peace. And i was totally blown away by her warmth and openess in a moment when i know i personally would be anything but that! She gave me a huge gift of helping me to find much needed closure with my surrogacy so i have to say a public thank you and point out that she is an amazing person and someone i truly look up to!

Love you all, keep up the great work mommas!
So glad you two connected! It is amazing that God can use something one mom doesn't need to fulfill a need for another mom. When do I get to meet someone on this board???? Anyone in Iowa????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
I had Nora in the wrap yesterday in a store, and the saleswoman just saw me from the side and saw her head covered by the wrap and said "I thought you had the biggest breasts I had ever seen on a small woman- then I realized it was the baby's head"
I've had people just talk to me normal and then a light bulb goes off adn they say" oh I just thought that was a differnt kind of shirt, I didn't know there was a baby in there."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FischK View Post
DS woke up at 2.30 am again. Then fed for 2 hours and fell asleep right next to me. Of course, he woke up as soon as I tried to get into a more comfortable position. Stayed awake for another 3 hours, fed again, and then went to sleep on DH. Total sleep for me: 4 hours, so this will be a cranky day, especially since I have to go in to see my counselor during my nap time.
I got about 4 hours of not deep sleep too! LO had tummy issues last night, probably from the garlic butter I ate with my pizza at lunch. Should have known better. She finally went to sleep around 1am and then squirmed most of the night. So far I'm doing well, but we'll see what happens at crash time (2pm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmomma76 View Post
This board has given me so much this time around. I really don't know how I did it before without this support. I feel like I love you guys like family and I've never even met you.
I totatlly AGREE!!!!

Peony-I hope your appt goes well!

LO really only sleeps well in the wrap...she fusses a bit then out like a light! At least I don't have to carry her in arms all day long, that's when I got so depressed with DD1. LOVE babywearing! Just ordered a kozy mei tai and am waiting for my gauze wrap to come.

I'm actually packing up baby clothes LO outgrows to give to SIL, we are certain our family is complete. I'm keeping a few outfits and a KL0 dipe for sentamential value!

ETA: Fairymom...so happy for you that you got $$ closure!!!! Can't wait to here what new dipes you get! Lovin our BG for this age!
#65 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 01:57 PM

My sis loaned me a maya wrap, but lo likes to sit up, can you do that in a maya? Do I need to keep wearing the Bjorn? I thought she'd be more comfy in the wrap, and it's more comfy for me, less bulky, but she didn't seem more comfy and I had her sitting up in it holding her with one arm in the store yesterday. I got lots of compliments on it, and one lady probably in her 50's? said she used a wrap like that for her kids 15 years ago! And I don't really live in a progressive, crunchy town. We have a college, and those people are kind of crunchy, but the locals....(I am a local, but obviously, not....)

You guys ever do something you feel guilty as a parent about??? Very guilty and can't seem to let it go? I am there. I'm already being treated for PPD, and I wonder if that's it...

#66 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 02:06 PM

oh yes i've done stuff i've felt guilty about! I'm sure it'll happen again.

Leaving in a bit to go make tiles of the kids hands/feet for gufts. the place is closing so i'll have to see what has been marked down.

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#67 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
Got Phoebe's birth certificate yesterday, she's official! I had to go appear in person with the baby at a special "out of hospital interview room" at the county health services complex. Our midwife made the appointment and met us there, and she can sign all the paperwork and the BC for us. The only part that was anything like an "interview" was when the lady asked if I was married to my husband (no proof required). But it still took about 45 minutes, plus I was almost a half-hour early so I was there for a long time. Wow. Now there are hoops I have to jump through to get a SSN- apparently a signed letter from the MW is no longer sufficient "identification" for the baby- and you need to have two forms of ID. A bill with her name can count, but she hasn't racked up any bills yet. We might do a passport first and then the SSN. (we do live 18 miles from the international border, so its worth having a passport!) Wow. Giving *birth* at home is so convenient, but this stuff afterwards is a PITA. Not that I'd trade them but there you go.
Wow! Here we just fill out a form and have it notarized and mail it in. There is a box to check for a SSN, and they mail you a card. That sounds like a huge hassle to me... too bad you had to do all that!

We went out last night and it went really smoothly... M was a pretty content little baby and although she did want to eat when I wanted to eat, I managed to get her settled and in the sling so I had one free hand to snag onion petals with. (Chose not to risk eating my pasta... didn't want to drop a big forkful on her or the sling!)

Have any of you taken little ones to movies? We've never taken DS to a movie theater, but there are a few fun kid movies out now that we want to see. My main worry is, do they even let you take babies in a movie theater? M is a pretty laid back baby, and would probably be fine and not fuss much, especially since in a dark theater I could just nurse nonstop comfortably. I just worry we're going to plan a whole outing and then be told we can't have her there...

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#68 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 02:13 PM

i think they do allow lo in movies. seems like i've done it before. i am thinking of an afternoon movie too. i bet they sleep through the whole thing.

#69 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 02:31 PM

Re: the maya wrap--you can have them sitting up tummy to tummy in it. Zolowear has some good videos of how to do this.

I regularly only get 4 hours of sleep--by the time LO falls asleep, I only have about 4-5 hours until my 21 month old will wake up.

After several bad days in a row, LO is taking a nap in the pack-n-play. Of course, now the 21 month old won't nap.

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#70 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 03:00 PM

yes, they do allow babies in theaters!

#71 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 03:35 PM

the theatre in my hometown actually had a "crying room" where moms could watch a movie in a sound-proof room with glass front. it was a very old theatre, i wish the idea had caught on....I'm imagining big, cooshy nursing chairs and bottled water and footstools...we'd probably all fall asleep .

well, eden is grasping toys now...i'm imagining my time with dangly earrings coming to an end!

my clothes line fell over in the storm last night...with clothes on it . guess i will have to cement it in.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#72 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
the theatre in my hometown actually had a "crying room" where moms could watch a movie in a sound-proof room with glass front. it was a very old theatre, i wish the idea had caught on....I'm imagining big, cooshy nursing chairs and bottled water and footstools...we'd probably all fall asleep .

well, eden is grasping toys now...i'm imagining my time with dangly earrings coming to an end!
\
nak

my parents' church has the same room...sans cush chairs. i used it for nursing

yeah... i'm rethinking my want for more holes in my ears

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#73 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 04:54 PM

Shine- thank you and yes it feels good to be done w/all that. I did find some mitherease fitteds at once upon a child today ofr $4.50/ea- got 6. My mom and I have plans to make some on Saturday. I have to go get fabric and really don't know what to get!

And I think i may be the closest to you being in Minneapolis.

Ive had 2 of my DCs' BC come out wrong. And it doesn't match their ss cards- didn't realize it mattered that much till I had to get dd15's replacement ss card (she's getting her 1st job this summer!) The ss cards have the correct names!

DDC friends like fam- I feel the same and its funny its given me a new view on DS's online frineds.He has frineds on Xbox live and they make plans to play toegether at certain times and he takes it really hard when he can't stick to the plan and play w/them. I finally realized why the "obession" is so strong- (I thought it was all about the games) these are HIS freinds like you all are mine (even if I have never met you) and I wolud hate it too if I was unable to be here to see how everyone was doing! These are real relationships- even if not in RL. DH still doesn't get it! I am a little jealous of ds because they actually get to talk to each other and hear each others voices.
#74 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Check out the series of smiles I caught on camera today
So adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
oh yeah...Eden's 12 lbs today : (okay, 11lbs 15.6 oz or something like that. close enough!) She 7.5 weeks and absolutely brilliant and beautiful, but hey, I may be biased
Yay Eden! And whether you're biased or not, I agree that Eden is a gorgeous baby. She's probably brilliant too, I just haven't seen her in person. I can't wait for River's cardiologist appt next week so I can find out how much she weighs now. She's got to be getting close to 12 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liseux View Post
Its my turn to give love to this ddc

I don't post as much as many of you, but I love this ddc. We are all different and yet everybody is so supportive of each other. Some of us need c sections and some UC'd, there are many other differences too & I love that we all respect each other and there is just such a cool bunch of women here. This was my 3rd pregnancy after loss, but the first time I was brave enough to join a ddc & I'm glad I did. Its so nice to be in the same boat with a new baby with so many mamas!
I : our DDC too. Why don't all of you live right by me so we can hang out all the time? Anybody live in Colorado?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2be_k View Post
My LO's funniest moments are while in a deep sleep - he'll stretch out real big and let out the LOUDEST fart! hilarious I say....
River does this too, except for her it's usually right after she wakes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka mommy View Post
I got to meet Lindsay and she is just as cool and awesome in real life as she is here. She just exudes happiness and peace. And i was totally blown away by her warmth and openess in a moment when i know i personally would be anything but that! She gave me a huge gift of helping me to find much needed closure with my surrogacy so i have to say a public thank you and point out that she is an amazing person and someone i truly look up to!

Love you all, keep up the great work mommas!
Maybe we can start a Lindsay fan club. I hope that maybe when I grow up I can be as optimistic and cheerful as Lindsay!

Quote:
You guys ever do something you feel guilty as a parent about??? Very guilty and can't seem to let it go? I am there. I'm already being treated for PPD, and I wonder if that's it...
The other night, DH and I got River to fall asleep in her bouncy chair so we could get some much-needed couple time snuggling on the couch and watching DVDs. We kept the "Calming Vibrations" turned on so she would stay asleep as long as possible. When she finally woke up and I picked her up, I realized her diaper had leaked all over her so that she was wet all the way up her back and her bouncy chair was even soaked. Then we decided to give her a bath and she got so cold while we got it ready that her arms turned purple. Then I realized I'd forgotten to give her her medicine and her vitamin D that day. Then I felt like the most neglectful mom ever. : So yeah, I think guilt is part of the motherhood package. Just remember that depression will make you hang onto it longer than you would otherwise and will make you think you're worse than you are. "Don't believe everything you think" is my motto.

I'm going to try to get out of the house with LO today. Yesterday I took her to the library and she started howling. Hopefully I'll have better luck today. I just have got to get out and do something. This has been a totally crappy week. I just found out that my smart, successful, wonderful, kind older brother is in rehab for addiction to prescription narcotics. It looks like it will turn out to be a very positive thing for him in the long run. My heart just hurts for him and his wife and kids because they are having to go through such tough times.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#75 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 PM

I totally agree. You women in this DDC are awesome, and I am glad to have met all of you.
Quote:
Yes. I feel guilty as a parent, too, and it is very hard to let go. I not only feel guilty about not being able to console my son at all times and about having to interrupt his feedings to improve his latch, but I also feel guilty about having PPD, and about not being as fun and happy as I should be when I'm around my son (and DH). Stupid vicious circle. Rationally I know that this is not helpful, but I have to remind myself several times a day of this.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#76 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
DDC friends like fam- I feel the same and its funny its given me a new view on DS's online frineds.He has frineds on Xbox live and they make plans to play toegether at certain times and he takes it really hard when he can't stick to the plan and play w/them. I finally realized why the "obession" is so strong- (I thought it was all about the games) these are HIS freinds like you all are mine (even if I have never met you) and I wolud hate it too if I was unable to be here to see how everyone was doing! These are real relationships- even if not in RL. DH still doesn't get it! I am a little jealous of ds because they actually get to talk to each other and hear each others voices.
We do this, too, only it's Warcraft. We play twice a week. Sometimes one-handed...

We can easily set up a free voice chat server. All you need is the headset.

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
#77 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I love this DDC as well . This site has been such a huge part of my life for the past 10 months!

We are back from visiting the in-laws. It's nice to be home, but we live with my parents right now and I could really use some just us time, sigh. We are getting settled into our "own place" downstairs and I'm looking forward to being settled!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#78 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 10:25 PM

i too love this ddc - i just saw there is only march then us at the top of the ddc's, makes me sad to think we won't have our own board on here
facebook or life with babe so wont be the same

#79 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 PM

I have a lot of funny moments from nursing laying down at night....

I'll wake up either

a - a huge wet spot on the sheets from leaking
b - with Parker fallen off my breast with his mouth open, like he's *drunk*
c - Parker laying his head on my breast like a pillow
d - all of the above

but it's all worth it for the 3-4am feeding!

We went to the PED today and got our first shots (at 10am)... hib and PCV7.... he screeched from both injections and as soon as the nurse left the room I stayed for about 15 minutes to nurse him and then he was fine. He was okay until about 3-4pm when his fever started up and he just kept whimpering

I just wanted to cry with him.... he nursed a lot more and slept a good stretch. By the time DH got home he woke up again in the same distress... fever and whimpering/crying. It's just breaking both our hearts. I gave him a dose of tylenol as per the ped. instructions and a lukewarm bath. Some more nursing and now he's in bed.
If I didn't have to go back to work the end of the month and put him in daycare, I'd totally consider no vax! UGH
In any case - he's 10lb 11oz and 23.5 inches.... growing well. The ped commented how easygoing he was as he was turning him over to check his back and see how he did with some tummy time.

I hope the little guy feels better tomorrow....

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#80 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph12334 View Post
i too love this ddc - i just saw there is only march then us at the top of the ddc's, makes me sad to think we won't have our own board on here
facebook or life with babe so wont be the same
Me too. I Love you guys.

You are all so amazing!

I feel bad for not contributing more of my :

Been a little stressed out and busy. Dh got laid off and we're seeking assistance. I have to figure out how to get a vax exempt form or they will deny us temporary assistance for not having our kids fully vaxed. I need to find that form tonight. We have an appointment with a caseworker tomorrow. Don't worry, dh starts a new job on the 15th. He really lucked out. His company laid off 12 people including him due to the resession.
#81 of 154 Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2be_k View Post
I have a lot of funny moments from nursing laying down at night....

I'll wake up either

a - a huge wet spot on the sheets from leaking
b - with Parker fallen off my breast with his mouth open, like he's *drunk*
c - Parker laying his head on my breast like a pillow
d - all of the above

but it's all worth it for the 3-4am feeding!

We went to the PED today and got our first shots (at 10am)... hib and PCV7.... he screeched from both injections and as soon as the nurse left the room I stayed for about 15 minutes to nurse him and then he was fine. He was okay until about 3-4pm when his fever started up and he just kept whimpering

I just wanted to cry with him.... he nursed a lot more and slept a good stretch. By the time DH got home he woke up again in the same distress... fever and whimpering/crying. It's just breaking both our hearts. I gave him a dose of tylenol as per the ped. instructions and a lukewarm bath. Some more nursing and now he's in bed.
If I didn't have to go back to work the end of the month and put him in daycare, I'd totally consider no vax! UGH
In any case - he's 10lb 11oz and 23.5 inches.... growing well. The ped commented how easygoing he was as he was turning him over to check his back and see how he did with some tummy time.

I hope the little guy feels better tomorrow....

Hope your little guy feels better soon. I've heard of parents giving tylenol an hr before vaxing. They say it seems to help. That must've been awful to witness.
#82 of 154 Old 06-04-2009, 02:59 AM

A fan club? You guys are so sweet!!! Im not lying when I say I started crying reading all of the nice things said about me in this thread (and over ALL the threads!) I completely agree that this DDC rocks. I told DH we were going to plan a road trip and meet all of you! Meeting Jenelle was better than I could have expected and the situation surrounding our meeting was CRAZY too! Its nice to meet people who you KNOW share youre same type of ideals. (and who have ridiculously cute kids!) It was REALLY nice to meet someone IRL who already knows everything about me too!

mel - Happy belated bday!!!!

emmaegbert - Its SO funny how with the HB, you have to do all the ss card and bc yourself and with the hospital they do it for you! I laughed when they brought me a temp bc in the hospital! And I cant believe Im almost 5 weeks PP either. I think I might have to start exercising and eating better soon!

Who was the mama that sat on her baby a few months ago? I was thinking about that today and cracking up!!!!

Fairymom - I didnt see the thread before it was taken down, but I think you got your $$ back?! yes!!!

nancy - how did the softball go this week? Also, lil Z is getting formula and BM right? Did he have a problem with the combo when you started? S is going to need the combo but I was worried how it would go.

bodhi - Youre in CO? Is that where that GORGEOUS pic of your lo and DH is (on your blog)? The landscape is so beautiful!!

fruitful - Is the assistance youre getting state funded? Could you say you are non-vax for "religious reasons"? I doubt they are legally allowed to ask for religious "proof" right?

I miss having time to answer every single person!!! Im thinking about all of you and reading your blogs and looking at Facebook pictures too!!

They tried adding a fortifier to dd2s BM (to make her gain weight rapidly) but it was WAY to much for her and she threw up at every feeding. Lame. But they took out the fortifier and shes doing fine now! Shes sleeping well and awake for an hour or 2 at a time and is cooing (she doesnt have a voice yet so its very soft). Im spending on average 6 hrs a day there at the hospital and I can now keep up with every single thing the docs talk about. I asked a question the other day and the attending said "Wow Lindsay, that was a really good question! Thats exactly what weve been talking about at our meetings." hehe.

So Im halfway through that Unhealthy Truth book and its good! Its a real eye opener and now Im REALLY committed to giving the fam "clean" food. I say its worth the money especially if you have food allergies or sensitivities.

AND, Dh and I finally DTD last week and it was great! I was right, I was scared for nothing. Then we DTD again and it was still great. Whew!

I better pump and go to bed. Jeez, this pumping stuff is tiring!!! Im still not making much milk but Im getting over that guilt. Im just doing the best I can and thanks to formula, I KNOW shes not going to starve!

Thanks guys for being so supportive and understanding!!!

ps. HUGE thunderstorm went through earlier, it was crazy! 706 lightening strikes in one hour and it POURED for about 10 min.

wife. dd1 : dd2
#83 of 154 Old 06-04-2009, 06:32 AM

Zack has had no issues with eating both BM and formula.
I am still pumping 2 oz about 5-6 times a day.
He'd eat a burger if I gave him one. :P

Pumping is definitely annoying, but whatever works. At least, I'm getting my money's worth out of the machine.

My supply is coming back a little. I was getting only one ounce a few days ago and I doubled it.

Softball is better and better. I'm on two teams. Once a week, Zack comes to the game. Running is still rough, but diving and sliding are pretty much back to normal. And my arm has been fine the whole time. Good exercise: feed and carry Z.

Thanks for asking!
I play again tonight and Z will be there.
I see other people's kids there yelling "Go Mommy!" and I can't wait for that to be me.

#84 of 154 Old 06-04-2009, 11:42 AM

Well, I know how to wear him out now. And, I mean, make him sleepy -- wearing out is easy... he sleeps in the bjorn.

So I noticed that Zack has always enjoyed kicking. Since, you know, as soon as he had legs to kick with. I thought I would hold him up by his arms and get him to stand on his feet and spring around.

He loves it. He stretches his two foot self all the way out and stands all wobbly, but sturdily on his huge feet. He supports his weight with his legs well.

At this point, I switched on some Madonna and danced with him for a song or two. Now he's asleep.

It's nice to do something with him besides feed him.

Oh, and Z appeared bored with my guitar playing. So, either I suck (most likely) or he isn't going to be a musician of any kind.

He seems a little novelty-based, which worries me a little. Things only intrigue him for a short time. Hopefully as he becomes more aware, he'll take more interest in things.

Six weeks old today, and I almost got a giggle out of him while we were dancing. He really seems to like physical activity -- which is also one of my traits.

Let's hope the sun stays out for my game tonight, because I have to bring him with me! :-O

#85 of 154 Old 06-04-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

LO slept good last night. Therefor I did too! She fell asleep around 10, we went to bed around 11 and I was actually able to lay her down in the side car crib for 2 hours! DH and I cuddled and fell asleep. I should have fooled around for his sake, but I didn't want to waste the good sleep time. Then was right next to me the rest of the night.

Speaking of feeling guilty, Those who cosleep are you concerned about this? I stumbled onto this one day and I've had a hard time letting it go as LO is usually smooshed against my body at night...when I move, she scooches closer... AFter reading this I've woken up mutliple times throughtout the night in a mini panic checking her and schooting her away from me and making sure she is on her back...We both sleep so good when I don't worry about this stuff!

WH A T I S R E - B R E A T H I NG ? (from firstcandle)
As human beings, when we exhale we exhale carbon dioxide. This exhaled air is very low in oxygen. When babies sleep on their tummy, or there is soft bedding or other items in their sleep area, this exhaled air can build up around their head and face. Instead of breathing fresh air, the baby “re-breathes” his exhaled air....

They are saying that a baby born with a defect in their brainstem wouldn't move when this happens, but there is no way to know which babies have this defect.
#86 of 154 Old 06-04-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
My sis loaned me a maya wrap, but lo likes to sit up, can you do that in a maya?
yes! You can face baby towards you, center her head on you chest, and sort of cross her legs, then really tighten the wrap so she feels secure to you, and pull the fabric up so its not too gathered, so its supports her whole back and even the back of her head. I do like the criss-cross style wraps for an upright carry (i now have both a Moby and a Hug-a-bub, both given to me) but the sling is so simple, easy to put on, convenient, and good for a loooong time (for a hip or back carry later when you have a toddler!)

So annoyed with DH today. He left in a snit and a hurry this morning, mad at me b/c I said he has to stop at the bank and cash some savings bonds (seriously we can't pay the rent this month otherwise, which is a whole other story of woe). The breakfast dishes are piled up everywhere, counters all dirty still from yesterday, beds unmade, and his wet towel and dirty laundry are laying around. I mean, how the heck am I supposed to get any of my own work done like this, since I am apparently not only the mom of an infant and a preschooler, but of a 33-year-old as well?? (need I mention that I do all the cooking and laundry, in addition to almost all the childcare? I mean, I am sort of on "maternity leave" at the moment but I am theoretically also a full-time graduate student).

Sorry for the vent! I'm just so annoyed and better to say it here than out loud to my son who doesn't need to hear me down-talk his dad.

I do things I feel guitly about frequently. Not so much to baby (yet) but to my older DS. I think its important for all of us to be gentle and forgiving to ourselves. We love our kids and do our best to take care of them, and nobody is perfect. Its perfectly fine to be human and make mistakes or do things imperfectly. Everybody does.

I think I am going to take the kids to my parents summer house in upstate NY for a lot of August. I truly have a lot of work to do and I can't see how else I will do it. Despite my vent above I feel bad about leaving DH for almost a month, and having him miss out on that time with his kids, esp the baby who is changing so fast. But he can't take a vacation and I really need to rewrite a major paper by september, as well as do my research prospectus and some grant applications. We're going to a wedding in Rhode Island in the middle of august so I'd drive across and we'll meet up for a long weekend or whatever time he can grab there and the kids could at least see him a bit. I just don't know what else to do- I don't want to put baby in childcare yet and I don't have the money to pay for childcare for even one kid, let alone 2.

#87 of 154 Old 06-04-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
So Im halfway through that Unhealthy Truth book and its good! Its a real eye opener and now Im REALLY committed to giving the fam "clean" food. I say its worth the money especially if you have food allergies or sensitivities.
I'm feeling similarly, reading Good Calories, Bad Calories. Every evening I find myself explaining to DP what I learned that day while reading it. It's kind of strange for me because I grew up as someone who trusted authority... not quite blindly, but almost. The past few years have been a big revelation for me, finding out we're not as protected as I'd always assumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
Speaking of feeling guilty, Those who cosleep are you concerned about this? I stumbled onto this one day and I've had a hard time letting it go as LO is usually smooshed against my body at night...when I move, she scooches closer... AFter reading this I've woken up mutliple times throughtout the night in a mini panic checking her and schooting her away from me and making sure she is on her back...We both sleep so good when I don't worry about this stuff!
I'm paranoid about my ring sling after reading a thread about a baby who died in one... I think from rebreathing. I'm forever jiggling the sling when he's asleep, putting my finger in his mouth to get a little reaction, triple-checking that his chin hasn't tilted down too far.

Does LO squish her face right up against you? That would be scary. Mine is always right next to me on his side, but not in a worrisome way.

---

My baby is seven weeks old now, I think. I have a hard time keeping track of the weeks. Each day he is engaging us more. I love it when he plays the tongue game, where he sticks it out and smiles with delight when we copy him. My firstborn took more of an interest in gadgets and machines more often than he looked at people, so it's still new to me to have a baby who is so enthralled with my face.

I've finally been able to ease off the block feeding without getting the green poopies back. :

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#88 of 154 Old 06-04-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy11 View Post
Well, I know how to wear him out now. And, I mean, make him sleepy -- wearing out is easy... he sleeps in the bjorn.

So I noticed that Zack has always enjoyed kicking. Since, you know, as soon as he had legs to kick with. I thought I would hold him up by his arms and get him to stand on his feet and spring around.

He loves it. He stretches his two foot self all the way out and stands all wobbly, but sturdily on his huge feet. He supports his weight with his legs well.
My son was just like this. (And he also has huge feet, really gigantic!) I actually used to worry it might be bad for his legs to stand up like that, but he liked it so much! I checked with my friend who is a very holistic pediatric PT, and he said as long as I'm not "parking" him in that position there is no harm in it. (He told me that strong and active kids can apparently actually injure themselves in bouncers and exersaucers b/c they bounce and turn so vigorously). Anyway he's really active and coordinated now, in hindsight I can see that his physical giftedness was obvious from the get-go. (I think its inevitable that he will end up a jock, bit the other day he told me that when he is a bigger boy he wants to do hockey, circus, baseball, and ballet. So we'll see.)

And, lol, don't worry about attention span. Its a few years before it will get much longer. You will benefit greatly from distractibility of your LO when you need to do the "bait and switch" move to keep him away from dangerous/fragile/objectionable items. Outta sight outta mind is pretty useful for a while there. Doesn't work forever though.

#89 of 154 Old 06-04-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasharna View Post
I'm paranoid about my ring sling after reading a thread about a baby who died in one... I think from rebreathing. I'm forever jiggling the sling when he's asleep, putting my finger in his mouth to get a little reaction, triple-checking that his chin hasn't tilted down too far.

Does LO squish her face right up against you? That would be scary. Mine is always right next to me on his side, but not in a worrisome way.
Great! didn't even think about rebreathing in the wrap and LO is always in the wrap with head covered alot, though I do check her often as she's right there!

Sometimes she is squished right against me, but able to breath, but probably rebreathing...UGH There is never a right answer...cosleep unsafe, sleeping alone unsafe and noone sleeps! AHHHHHHH!

ETA: tHe problem is that our bed is a pillow top, soft...so she kinda rolls into me. I think it's time to get a new mattress, $$ are tight but I've wanted a new one for my back and it'd be safer for babe...now just to convince DH.
#90 of 154 Old 06-04-2009, 12:53 PM

Haha. So... Five minutes after my post, Z woke up screaming for food (shocker). Now he's squiggling around on a play mat that has dangly things, making noises. It's hard to say, but I think he likes the mirror in there. I can never tell what he's looking at.

Heh, his arms and legs are just going nonstop. Yay for firing neurons!
At least, he isn't crying... yet... >.<

I sleep with him on my pillow top sometimes. He's on his back and likes it alot. Who wouldn't?! Nice and soft. It's not frequent, but we nap there together sometimes. He's very comfy in his crib at night, so this usually happens in the morning.

I tried putting Zack in a sling once, and I assume a wrap would be the same -- he was so mashed in there. He could hardly breathe from being smushed and he just kept making little noises as if to say, "This... isn't... working..." So I carry him in the Bjorn and I just got an Ergo for when he's a little bigger, although I have the infant insert. He likes facing front in the Bjorn, but he usually falls asleep. His neck isn't too bad facing front, he tilts his head back onto my chest sometimes. Most often, we have him tummy to tummy.

Aaaaanyway, I'm rambling. :-P

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page