Chat Monday June 1st -Sun 7th - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 154 Old 06-05-2009, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
AFWife- No vaxing here as well. None of my kids are except one disaster vax with DD1 that caused an adverse reaction had lead me on the non-vaxing path. I can't blame all her problems on the DTaP, but I know it certainly didn't help because she was always different after it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
Same here. We are not vaxing with her till at least a year if at all. DD1 has all hers but not sure if we are doing the boosters in a year or not.
Peony: I'm sorry about your DD! Just another reason I get really mad at vax companies...

Shine: Ugh, have you had everyone tell you "It's easier to do it when they're babies" yet? We've talked about waiting until he's two and everyone keeps saying that it's really hard on a two year old to get vaxed. It annoys me to no end.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#122 of 154 Old 06-05-2009, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Peony: I'm sorry about your DD! Just another reason I get really mad at vax companies...

Shine: Ugh, have you had everyone tell you "It's easier to do it when they're babies" yet? We've talked about waiting until he's two and everyone keeps saying that it's really hard on a two year old to get vaxed. It annoys me to no end.
I've heard it said to others...but I generally don't bring that up often, I just say we are delaying and that usually ends it. I just want to be sure her body is ready for them, a full year of good breastmilk should help! If we do it at all.
#123 of 154 Old 06-05-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
Fairymom- DS birthday is November so he's a similar age to yours. He's a really "spirited" kid- GREAT but just not easy, yk? Of course we wouldn't have him any other way, but still I am hoping the LO is more easygoing. I am definitely not looking forward to 13 though sometimes I tell myself perhaps he's getting it out of his system early and the teen years won't be as tumultuous? Anyway, please don't disabuse me of this notion, though I am well aware that this is probably not how it works.
Will not burst your bubble at all! My ds4 is very "spirited" too! Never had any of the others like this.DS14 was an "easy" kid-played by himself quietly for hours from the age of 2 till ahh about 8 then complete turn around! Now he's on meds for ADHD and has problems just being still. I hope and pray ds4 is getting it out now too!

I am thinking of delaying vaxs for Caleb till later. Not sure how later maybe just till 6 mnths.All my others are vaxed but something is just telling me to wait w/him.I had my tetnes(sp) booster at my pp visit and 2 weeks later STILL have discoloration around the site and it was painful for a week. :

Kate- Caleb's 8 weeks today too! Yeah for April 10th! 2 months so soon!

(Sorry I dont know how to multi quote!)
#124 of 154 Old 06-05-2009, 07:35 PM

Happy 8 weeks, Caleb!:: That's my bro's name, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Nora hates the hot weather, and has had a mini-nursing strike. I think that cuddling is just too hot! She's had two "real" nursing sessions since yesterday evening- otherwise I'm dream feeding her. Last night she got too awake at 4 am and refused to nurse- I finally took her for a walk outside to cool down and fall asleep, then fed her once she was sleeping Hopefully this resolves soon- it's cooler today and she nursed while awake an hour ago. It seems crazy to give a screaming baby a pacifier, then feed her once she's asleep.
Eden hates the heat, too. Try nursing in a cool shower

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#125 of 154 Old 06-05-2009, 08:31 PM

Yay! I had my 6 week check up today and am healing well from the C section & ready to party! I worried alot about this appt. b/c I prefer to have one of the female docs in the practice for the pelvic exam, but they want you to see the OB who delivered you. Knowing I needed a C I picked the guy in the practice who is known to be an awesome surgeon & he also delivered my 2 yr old. (I got him by chance last time & he did an incredible job, no scar tissue at all) I wasn't looking forward to the exam with him though, but now we know each other well & the whole appt was awesome. He made me feel like a strong & healthy woman who built a fabulous strong little guy & it left me feeling positive about the whole experience.

AFWife, we don't vax either, at all. I have a great family practice doc who is OK with it & we revisit the issue from time to time. I mentioned on the 2 wk visit thread that I read about anthroposophic medicine in an old issue of Mothering & it influenced me to not vax. But...I don't think its a simple thing at all & I can see both sides.

more later, I have a fussy guy in my arms...

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#126 of 154 Old 06-05-2009, 09:34 PM

River is also 8 weeks old today! I didn't realize we had quite so many 4/10 babies.

Liseux, I'm glad your appt went well! :

DH went in to his office to work for most of the day today. As I've mentioned in other threads, he's a professor, so he has a lot of freedom in setting his own schedule because he's not teaching this summer. He's been working at home a lot instead of going to the office. Today is the longest he's left us alone so far, and it actually wasn't bad. River was fussy until about 4, when I finally took her into the bedroom and nursed her down for a nap. The nursing put us both to sleep.

Gotta go throw something together for dinner. Probably hummus wraps with lettuce in spinach-herb tortillas. :

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#127 of 154 Old 06-05-2009, 09:45 PM

happy 8 weeks river!!!!:::

4/10 rocks

eden just tried to grab my water glass....time to start paying attention!

#128 of 154 Old 06-05-2009, 10:20 PM

I got woke up this morning with little hands grabbing at my face...it was awesome!

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#129 of 154 Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmomma76 View Post
I got woke up this morning with little hands grabbing at my face...it was awesome!
ouch! i don't know about your lo, but no matter what i do, her fingernails are like razor blades! she's always digging them into my boob or grabbing my lip! ouch!

#130 of 154 Old 06-05-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
ouch! i don't know about your lo, but no matter what i do, her fingernails are like razor blades! she's always digging them into my boob or grabbing my lip! ouch!
we call them "baby wolverines"

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#131 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 12:38 AM

yup - i call them his claws - and call him little bear

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#132 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 12:40 AM

i just call him "stinky"

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
#133 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Phew I didn't check in yesterday and feel like I missed a lot! Happy 8 weeks to all of our 8 week old babies! Cooper will be 7 weeks tomorrow. It's hard to believe!

I am going to start running soon. I have a jogging stroller but heard not to use it until LO is 6 months. I took him on a pretty fast walk in his carseat/stroller combo and it worked well. When I want to really run I'll leave him home with DH or my Mom.

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#134 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 04:32 AM

I'm running about a half mile a day and then I'm doing a program called P90X and I'm on day 5. I'm contemplating entering a 5K on 4th of July, so debating on if i want to start training for that as well!

AFWife, we don't vax. My 1st dd had a severe reaction to the Hep B vax that almost killed her and it damaged her immune system so severely she cannot receive anymore vaccines. We have not done any on dd#2 and don't think we will.

Tonight I'm having a rough time. Don't know if it is just post partum hormones coming down from me officially being done pumping (still letdown and leak maybe once every few days) or if it's the reality that my dh is gone and I'm doing this alone for 8 months. It could also be my thyroid as it tends to get over active after I give birth.

Today was a whirlwind day with a field trip for my dd#2 and working out and running errands and making sure to send off dh's package. Then I came home and instead of relaxing, I cleaned the entire patio, organized it and then proceeded to clean the entire house from top to bottom (thankfully its small) and give the dog a bath (he was playing in the mud). Now its past midnight and I can't seem to shut it off. Could be the caffeine I had at 2 pm, but it really is feeling like i did when I was diagnosed with Graves. Who knows . . . I also got a letter from dh and it was thoroughly depressing and broke my heart to read how hard he's having it.

Sorry to be such a downer. Tomorrow it will be better. Just in a funk and not sure why.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#135 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka mommy View Post
Tonight I'm having a rough time. Don't know if it is just post partum hormones coming down from me officially being done pumping (still letdown and leak maybe once every few days) or if it's the reality that my dh is gone and I'm doing this alone for 8 months. It could also be my thyroid as it tends to get over active after I give birth.

Today was a whirlwind day with a field trip for my dd#2 and working out and running errands and making sure to send off dh's package. Then I came home and instead of relaxing, I cleaned the entire patio, organized it and then proceeded to clean the entire house from top to bottom (thankfully its small) and give the dog a bath (he was playing in the mud). Now its past midnight and I can't seem to shut it off. Could be the caffeine I had at 2 pm, but it really is feeling like i did when I was diagnosed with Graves. Who knows . . . I also got a letter from dh and it was thoroughly depressing and broke my heart to read how hard he's having it.

Sorry to be such a downer. Tomorrow it will be better. Just in a funk and not sure why.

Happily NAK!!! Nora is willingly nursing again since last night! I'm washing diapers today, and there are way less than usual- I think we only had six wet diapers yesterday. She saved herself from her first doctor's visit- yesterday evening I had decided to take her to a walk-in clinic if she didn't start nursing by morning. Then an hour later she fed while she was awake.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#136 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Is anyone else in this DDC not vaxing?
We haven't been. My 14 month old is going to get his first shot, the tetanus, soon. That is the only one that we're sure we're giving. (We live in a rural area where rusty nails/barbed wire are all over!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Guess what I saw today? A woman biking while breastfeeding her baby in an ergo. My first thought was "so impressive- wish I could be that hands free". Second thought was of course "holy cr@p, how dangerous! On the road, no helmets for either of them!".
Oh my goodness! My reaction was the same as yours... wow! then, wait... that sounds stupid!

Off to go garage saling, with two babies and no DH (he is working today ). Hope I have no diaper blowouts, nursing marathons, or other mishaps!

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#137 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 02:05 PM

okay so on the jogging stroller topic. It makes sense to me not to bounce them all around when they are so young, but I'm talking like jogging and brisk walking, not any serious running. But do you all think that lying flat in a pram-type thing is better, or being in a carseat, rather than in an actual jogging stroller? Or really just waiting? Ugh. I so want to get in shape and I just don't know how else I can do it. Like I said before, walking never did it for me before and I walk a lot. Also, there is no way my 4yo will fit in any stroller, nor would I want him in a stroller, so my plan depended on him being able to ride along with his bike or scooter.

i guess we can do like "power walks" with baby in the sling a couple times a week but I am just so skeptical that this will do much for me.

dissertating mom to three

#138 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 02:18 PM

don't jogging strollers have shocks?
I really don't think it would hurt the baby.
It would be bumpy, maybe, and cause discomfort...
or they might like the vibrations and sleep right through it.

The latter would be likely here.

#139 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 02:35 PM

She does dig in to my boobs with her little fingernails, and my chest, but she was just batting at my face, not digging, so it didn't hurt! It was just sweet.

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#140 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 03:05 PM

There is a blurb on jogging with infants here. I think it covers the issues of head/neck support quite well. Nora loves the jiggling/bumping and goes right to sleep in the stroller.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#141 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 05:31 PM

I am ALWAYS hungry lately. I know it's the constant BFing. (I read it burns an average of 500 calories a day...I don't have the energy to work out long enough to burn that many calories) The thing is, food can get a bit sparce toward the end of the week here...especially considering I can't have dairy. I'm craving red meat and seafood too. Iron needs I guess.

DH comes home in 3.5 days! Ugh, this has been the longest week EVER!

DS is sleeping better lately. He takes pretty good naps (his diaper wakes him up) and he sleeps good jags at night. Usually he'll sleep 3 hours or so at a time. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

My supply is great. I'm going to pump some in the next couple of days so that DH can feed DS a couple of times when he gets here. I figure it will help build their relationship.

My parents are incorrigible per usual. Ugh, you'd think I was still a teenager or something.

#142 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 06:01 PM

nak

AFWife, great news about your DH coming back.

About strollers: I also read about the 6-months minimum age, but I wonder if that also applies to jogging strollers with infant seat attachment.

On a relasted issue: Just read that babies under 1 should not be transported on bike either in a seat or a trailer. Is this for real? I was hoping to bike a lot this summer since the weather and landscape is perfect here.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#143 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am ALWAYS hungry lately. I know it's the constant BFing. (I read it burns an average of 500 calories a day...I don't have the energy to work out long enough to burn that many calories) The thing is, food can get a bit sparce toward the end of the week here...especially considering I can't have dairy. I'm craving red meat and seafood too. Iron needs I guess.

DH comes home in 3.5 days! Ugh, this has been the longest week EVER!
Yeah on DH coming home soon!!!!! I'm alwasy hungry too and food gets low here just cause I hate shopping for groceries!

Well we rearranged our bed situation and now have a full and twin on the floor next to eachother, one very large bed. They are all firm and DH even layed LO on there for a nap this morning and it worked! I'm hoping we'll all sleep good tonight, I don't sleep well without DH.

Redid our wills yesterday, feel so good to have that done. This is the first time I've felt the most comfortable about who we picked as gaurdians. These two families will stay on there forever! We've redone our will 3 times with changing guardians, family just doesn't work for us. So glad to know our girls will be well taken care of as close to our parenting as we can get!
#144 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 07:28 PM

The thing with bikes has a lot to do with neck support.
Bumps, or other impacts, could injure them.
I would gauge my own situation and determine this myself.
I plan to get a wee ride seat, but I don't know when I'll use it.

#145 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 09:09 AM

Made 1/2 a dipe and a sling yesterday! : Still gotta finish the dipe today but loving the sling.It may become my new favorite- but love my wrap too so torn on which to use more.Wrap is more time consuming to put on but feels real secure to have him in and he loves being upright. Sling is so comfy and easy to put on/off even when he's sleeping in it. (sorry just thinking out loud)
#146 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 11:27 AM

my kid is two feet tall.
we have one of those well-hanging measurer things... two feet is the first notch!
insanity.

the grabbing has begun. still subtle. i fear for my hair...

#147 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 01:02 PM

I had SO many tears yesterday! Seems like I cried all day, sad AND happy tears! (mostly happy)
This is just such a crazy journey were on.
Several of the nurses got off shift last night and came in to say goodbye to Sophia, her nurse for the night told me that Sophia has brought so much joy into her life the past couple nights, that her "personality" is just so sweet. Sophia is extremely popular already!

I better be off to the hospital, I hope everyone has a great day and Im thinking of all your problems and triumphs!!!:

MIL called this morning at 8:01am "Its after 8, youre probably at the hospital". Im not sure how many times Ive told her I actually let myself SLEEP a little on the weekends but she never remembers. When she comes to see the baby, she makes it a social call, staying for hours, wanting to go out for lunch, doesnt understand when I dont go back to the hospital with her and dh(after already being there for 5 hrs)etc.
I like the people that see the baby, then leave. My life is dd1, dd2, pumping, drinking water, DH. Thats it. The one time I went and ate lunch with her, she kept sighing when I had to get home to pump, like i was ruining her fun day out. And she lives 40 min away and comes 3 times a week, its not like she has to drive hrs to get here.
Can you tell my MIL is driving me CRAZY?!:

wife. dd1 : dd2
#148 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
I had SO many tears yesterday! Seems like I cried all day, sad AND happy tears! (mostly happy)
This is just such a crazy journey were on.

Can you tell my MIL is driving me CRAZY?!:
YOu are so strong!!! Crazy journey but strong mama!

As for the MIL, just keep your prioritys no matter what anyone says/does...you'll never get this time back and it's not worth missing a chance to pump mama's milk for your DD2 for someone else!!!

Well the bed situation worked wonderfully!!!! LO slept from 11-6 and only squirmed here and there but I was able to roll away from her most of the night without her following. From 6-9 LO slept hard (on tummy but we were only dozing next to her) So that was really nice.Dh and I even got a little cuddle time this morning. DD1 watched cartoons in our room and we all just hung out in our family bed on the floor!

Oh and our facebook...is it the one that says March and April DDC? There are like 113 memebers on that one...seeems odd that there would be that many when we only have a group of about 30 on here??? Am I on the wrong one, I'm so new to this stuff!
#149 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 02:51 PM

no, early on we decided there were so many dual members that we would invite march, too. there's a thread that says who everyone is. and there's a whole lot of members in our ddc, but not all active . I'll have to find you on there!

#150 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy11 View Post
the grabbing has begun. still subtle. i fear for my hair...
This is one of the things that helped me resist the temptation to start growing my hair out. It's going to be hard enough keeping her from yanking my glasses off my face all the time. River isn't grabbing yet, but she is sticking her fist in her mouth more, and often when she's nursing she'll just open one hand and lay it gently against mine. So sweet!

Lindsay, I sympathize with you on the MIL thing. DH is leaving next Sunday and will be gone for two weeks for work. MIL will be here with me for the first week, then my best friend is coming. : MIL was also here with me for three weeks after River was born, and we got a lot closer then and I so much appreciate that she came to take care of us...but she still drives me nuts sometimes. Basically she is like this: and I am a total introvert. Oh well, I plan to just keep reminding myself that she adores our little girl and will be a wonderful grandmother for her. That helps me forgive a lot of minor annoyances.

Shine, I'm glad you got a bed situation figured out that works for all of you. That will make life so much easier, especially since you won't be worrying about LO's safety with your firmer mattress.

This morning I got up and did some gardening. My lettuces are thriving, my carrot seeds germinated so well that I had to do some aggressive thinning, and best of all, my potatoes are starting to come up! : I like growing weird varieties of potatoes. This year I'm doing purple Peruvian fingerlings and cranberry reds. So I had a great gardening session, then when I went back into the house, I found DH and the baby snuggled up in bed together. It was the cutest, sweetest thing ever. I : my little family.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page