2 month checkup stats anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 77 Old 06-04-2009, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Julian had his 2 month check up today. He got his pentacil (DTaP, HIB, Polio) shot and his first oral rotavirus. Can you believe little man screamed bloody murder while drinking the liquid, but didn't make a peep when he got stuck? He was nursing at the time tho...

He's been a little fussy, and spitting up a TON more than normal tonight. I have given him two doses of tylenol because he has seemed in pain, but that could be from his TOOTH!

Stats:
14 lbs 2 oz
24.5 inches
#2 of 77 Old 06-04-2009, 11:27 AM

Miss K had her 2 month check up on Tuesday.

She was 7 pounds 15 ounces.
20.25 inches.

She got the oral Rotovirus, and gagged and choked the whole time, then threw it up on me an hour later. But hasn't spit up since then. And she got the DTaP shot and screamed. It was awful. We are doing a delayed schedule, the Dr Sears one, so she won't get the other 2 until next month.

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#3 of 77 Old 06-04-2009, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

we're doing the dr sears schedule also, but on his website he says that the pentacil is an acceptible option for parents who want to reduce the number of needle sticks. It has a lower aluminum content than the 3 shots combined also

Did your ped give you any trouble or pushback when you requested this schedule?
#4 of 77 Old 06-04-2009, 12:23 PM

g had her two month on tuesday. she got all her shots and i will not be having that many done at one time again. she was feverish all day, and hardly even woke up to nurse. i was worried about her, but they told me it was normal. blegh. maybe ill check out the dr sears vax schedule. otherwise she was great. shes 14 lbs almost exactly and the ped told me everything looked wonderful. loved her cloth diapers and was happy that i was planning to bf at least a year (actually im hoping to go at least twice that long). oh, and i took her to see a new ped who i had heard wonderful things about. she's awesome! the only ped in this practice though so getting appts wont be as easy. still, im super happy!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#5 of 77 Old 06-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Leah, that sounds awful. I'd have been scared, too. Glad you have a nice pediatrician though.

DS1 had a major developmental regression in toddlerhood immediately after one of his shots (lost his entire vocabulary, among other things) and I'm so worried about taking this baby in for his. I haven't even made a two month appointment because I'm stalling for time, trying to decide what to do.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#6 of 77 Old 06-04-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasharna View Post
Leah, that sounds awful. I'd have been scared, too. Glad you have a nice pediatrician though.

DS1 had a major developmental regression in toddlerhood immediately after one of his shots (lost his entire vocabulary, among other things) and I'm so worried about taking this baby in for his. I haven't even made a two month appointment because I'm stalling for time, trying to decide what to do.
honestly, if it wasnt for dh pressuring me to take her in for the appt, i would have skipped it and moved everything back another two months. dd1 is on the spectrum, which made me more nervous about the shots, even though there was no correlation of her losing skills after her getting her shots. she was always a bit delayed, and there is a heavy family history of autism on her fathers side of the family (and i think some of us on my side are "spectrumy"... including myself). i have a friend though with a son who lost tons of development within 48 hrs of getting his shots, and now has autism. makes you wonder.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#7 of 77 Old 06-04-2009, 04:24 PM

Can someone tell me what Dr. Sears delayed schedule is? I looked at his website and I see him talking about his delayed vax schedule but I can't actually FIND the SCHEDULE??

I'm not sure what I'll be doing but I will either selective/delayed (like my dd) or none at all (like my ds). DS's 2 mo is in a couple weeks and I need a plan.

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
#8 of 77 Old 06-04-2009, 04:44 PM

I cancelled the 2 month appt because i am not ready to do shots. when i mentioned delayed schedule in the hospital, the doc told me id have to find another pediatrician. But then he talked to us and totally convinced dp that he needs the shots and that he really wants this doc. i dont want to do it- my older ds had a terrible reaction at 5 mos and hasnt had any more, and if I could have my way, this babe wouldnt get any. dp is sold tho. i didnt tell him i cancelled the appt and i hope he doesnt ask soon about taking him back to the doctor!

he is darn near 15 lbs, i am sure. and probably 24 inches, maybe not quite.

Mama to 3 boys 

#9 of 77 Old 06-04-2009, 05:41 PM
LL7

I found it here: http://thedailyhammond.blogspot.com/...-schedule.html

I guess Dr Sears wants you to buy his book, I didn't see it on his site either.
#10 of 77 Old 06-04-2009, 05:47 PM

my son's 2 month appt is next week. he won't get any shots. his sister had one. I read more and never did anymore. I'd recommend the book "Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide" by Aviva Jill Romm to all of you (and your husbands). Its a very balanced book that both me and my best friend (who selectively and delayed vaxes) liked. If your husband won't read, then I think they get no say in the decision honestly.

Any pediatrician that makes threats of dropping you from their practice is completely unethical IMO. If I knew my pediatrician did that, I'd drop them first (even if I vaxed on schedule) simply on principle.

One of our neighbors is expecting and they have a nephew who is on the spectrum (after a very clear vaccine reaction). Their ped said they would be OK unless they chose to do no vaccines in which case they would need to find a new ped because the ped "wouldn't know how to treat them." They came away feeling like that was fair and reasonable. THAT MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. There was no specific vaccine she pushed or felt was key. So if they do polio they are OK? or what? Basically its a scare tactic and it gives you a sneak preview into what you're gonna get at each well child visit (pressure!). How would their child being unvaccinated make them not know how to treat them? Esp. if the vaccine isn't even specified.

My pediatrician is in favor of vaccination, but acknowledges that I'm the parent and I'm ultimately responsible for my children's health. He would never EVER threaten me.

The more I read, the less scared I am about the diseases. The only ones that scare me are pertussis and tetanus. Pertussis can be deadly under the age of 6 months and is still prevalent in society. However, it takes FIVE doses to get 66% effectiveness...which puts you well outside the "danger zone" of 6 months. It is also a highly reactive shot. The acellular pertussis was supposed to be less reactive than the DTP but reports are that it is still having issues. Tetanus is so incredibly rare and no one I know is up to date on their tetanus shot, but no one gets tetanus. And the stats on the tetanus shot are also pretty pitiful. If one of my kids ever gets a deep puncture wound that concerns me, I'll take them to the hospital for the immunoglobulin....which is the only thing that would stop tetanus in a short period of time. Yet, our protocol is giving the vaccine which is not short acting...and still tetanus is as rare as it is. So I'm not losing sleep over that.

FWIW, autism is not even my main motivating factor in making this choice, but rather the documented effects of vaccines on our immune system and health. The vaccine industry does not deny that the shots have increased allergies, asthma, arthritis, and so on. Kids today are just plain SICK. Chronic lifelong illness is not something I want to chance for my children to protect them from mild self limiting childhood diseases that do not scare me.

If you are hesitant, wait. You can't undo them, but you can read more. There is no "scientific reason" for the schedule as it is now. Peds will say this, but I'd ask for what that reason is. The blood brain barrier is not closed until 6 months, so science would seem to dictate that waiting until after 6 months is "scientific" yet they are giving shots for STDs (hep B) to newborns in the hospital. If you choose to wait, make a firm decision that you are not going to be pressured on the spot. I think pretty much all pediatrician offices allow you to come in whenever for "just a shot." You don't have to feel like its now or never. Its not a decision to be pushed into on the fly.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#11 of 77 Old 06-04-2009, 05:56 PM

not to freak anyone out, but I'd be very leery of the newer vaccine they are giving (the oral rotavirus).

you may not be aware, but this vaccine was just approved last year. the one before it killed many babies causing twisting of the intestines (intussusception) and was pulled from the market in 1999.

this article talks about both the old and the new vaccine.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040401966.html

It does say that they've watched for intussusception in the studies and its safe, but I consider all new vaccines to be "experimental" until proven otherwise. The first Rotavirus vaccine was tested and considered safe also, until it killed babies.

They did see increased rates of convulsions and pneumonia related deaths. Other studies done by the manufacturer did not show this.

I don't know about you, but I'd like to see studies NOT done by the manufacturer. KWIM?

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#12 of 77 Old 06-04-2009, 07:02 PM

The delayed/selective section of the vaccine forum has the Sears schedule and some other links.

I'm curious to have Nora weighed again she's gaining weight so much slower than Neela did. Even with cloth diapers a lot of the newborn clothes still fit.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#13 of 77 Old 06-04-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post
FWIW, autism is not even my main motivating factor in making this choice, but rather the documented effects of vaccines on our immune system and health. The vaccine industry does not deny that the shots have increased allergies, asthma, arthritis, and so on. Kids today are just plain SICK. Chronic lifelong illness is not something I want to chance for my children to protect them from mild self limiting childhood diseases that do not scare me.

If you are hesitant, wait. You can't undo them, but you can read more. There is no "scientific reason" for the schedule as it is now. Peds will say this, but I'd ask for what that reason is. The blood brain barrier is not closed until 6 months, so science would seem to dictate that waiting until after 6 months is "scientific" yet they are giving shots for STDs (hep B) to newborns in the hospital. If you choose to wait, make a firm decision that you are not going to be pressured on the spot. I think pretty much all pediatrician offices allow you to come in whenever for "just a shot." You don't have to feel like its now or never. Its not a decision to be pushed into on the fly.

XOXO
B
I agree completely. A long time ago Mothering had an article about anthroposophical (sp?) medicine that convinced me not to vax. It talked about the benefits of an intact immune system. Although I don't vax, I really don't judge people who do, b/c I feel its a VERY difficult choice either way & both options are scary IMO. My boys had pertussis last year and it was a living Nightmare. They are all Ok now, but some of these diseases are still really terrifying. It wasn't even my youngest (under 2) who was sickest, it was my 5 yr old, who got skinnier and skinnier and scared everyone who saw him. But.. that shot is scary too, so I understand the dilemma!

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#14 of 77 Old 06-05-2009, 01:02 AM

At Mathias' 2 month appt last month (May 5th) he was 9lbs and 21inches long. I stood on the scale at my dr's office today (and Mathias is exactly 3 months) and clothed with a wet goodmama on (I changed him when we got back to the car, btw) he weighed 12lbs 8oz. A GM weighs 7oz dry... so he's somewhere between 11.5-12lbs ish.

Bri: mom to K: and M: at 27 weeks and 33 weeks :
#15 of 77 Old 06-05-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esokitty View Post
Did your ped give you any trouble or pushback when you requested this schedule?
No! He said that comes up all of the time, and he really reccommends that kids get their shots on schedule, but respected whatever I wanted to do. The nurse who did the shots told me her daughter was doing the same delayed schedule.

The Dr. Sears schedule is sticky'd in the Vaccine forum.

For me, and this is just my feeling...I feel like if I have the opportunity to vax, and didn't, and then my children got one of the diseases I could have prevented and if affects their quality of life, I will have enormous guilt over that. I would have enormous guilt if a vaccine caused damage too, but I think the weight of not doing something that was reccommended to me would have been more so...just my feelings...

#16 of 77 Old 06-05-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmomma76 View Post
I feel like if I have the opportunity to vax, and didn't, and then my children got one of the diseases I could have prevented and if affects their quality of life, I will have enormous guilt over that.
which diseases are you thinking of here? just curious. I know a lot of parents feel this way, but I honestly don't know which disease they are scared of.

Mumps and rubella are often so benign you don't know you've had them. Measles is not fun but its 2 weeks and then you are immune for life and give that immunity to your baby via breastfeeding. Polio has been eradicated in the western world for over 10 years. Its debatable that the vaccine did anything as the criteria for polio vs. aseptic meninigitis changed at the same time as the vaccine making what qualified as polio much more narrow. Also, something like 90% of polio is so mild you don't know you had it. Diptheria is a disease that is only prevalent in areas with crummy sanitation and lack of access to healthcare. I talked about tetanus and pertussis in a previous post. Chicken pox (we all know) is nothing to worry about, but the vaccine is because no one knows how long it lasts meaning your child could be vulnerable at an older age when CP IS a big deal (adolescence and adulthood).

The other vaccines like HIB and Prevnar have issues associated with them as well. I don't view these as protective since they leave the body more vulnerable to other strains of bacteria. They are also very much experimental at this point in time. Although Prevnar has not been approved to prevent otitis media, it is marketed as such. The trials for prevnar were disturbing to me. Here's just one quote "Prevnar had four times more seizures, four times more gastritis than the control group, significantly more developed asthma, one death in the Prevnar group. Strangely, there were twice as many SIDS in the control group." Most ear infections are caused by viruses, not bacteria. Serotype replacement is very experimental. There are many doctors who believe this vaccine is acting much in the same way as overuse of antibiotics and will backfire on us.

I think most parents would be shocked at how crude a science vaccination is. Many of these were rushed to market during "epidemics" with little or no safety testing. Now the drug companies have no incentive to re-examine their formulation and make them "safer" because they risk not being approved again. One of the famous safety tests is the mouse test. If the mouse grows bigger, the vaccine is safe. How many kids with autism do you know that are big for their age? How in the world can we trust this type of "safety testing"?

Again, I don't want you to feel disrespected as every parent has to make their own decision, but I honestly wonder what disease you think will affect your child's quality of life? Ear infections? Chicken pox? Because that seems to be the only vaccine preventable disease they are at risk for getting. With the exception of tetanus, all of these diseases are self limiting in childhood. Unfortunately, our culture of fear has scared the daylights out of parents. I was surprised when I started researching this issue about how little I knew about VPDs.

XOXO
B

#17 of 77 Old 06-05-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
which diseases are you thinking of here?
Well, a lot of different ones, Measles, Mumps, a lot of things I've read. The instances of side effects or death is low, but could I forgive myself if my child was one of the 'statistics?' I don't think so. It's just me, and how I would feel. I totally respect everyone's decisions.

#18 of 77 Old 06-05-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:

XOXO
B
:

For that exact reason, we're skipping the 2 month. I haven't had enough time to really read into the vaccines (I was leaning towards no vaxs anyhow). And like you said, he can always get them later.

He's a bit over 12lbs right now (was 6lb5oz at birth) and knocking out all the social and physical development milestones
#19 of 77 Old 06-05-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmomma76 View Post
The instances of side effects or death is low, but could I forgive myself if my child was one of the 'statistics?' I don't think so. It's just me, and how I would feel. I totally respect everyone's decisions.
I totally respect your decision too, mama. But also wanted to add that many of the "statistics" are children with compromised immune systems, lack of healthcare, and other disorders. Also, please consider how Chicken Pox is being portrayed now. Was anyone scared of dying from CP when we were kids? No, because there was no vaccine. It was considered a normal PITA of childhood. Now they trot out obscure cases of immune compromised kids who die from CP. In another generation, people will be phobic of CP just like people of our generation view measles.

These decisions aren't easy, for sure, but mostly I think its because the information/scare tactics out there are so hard to piece apart fact from fiction and hype. Again, I wanna give props to the Aviva Romm book, because she does such a good job of laying out the facts and explaining how our immune system works, how vaccines work, history of vaccines, etc. There are a lot of other books I like, but they are definetly more anti-vaccine. This book is very neutral and should give you more strength of conviction about your decisions in the end (no matter what they are). Information is power and peace of mind.

XOXO
B

#20 of 77 Old 06-06-2009, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Gian had his on Friday. He's 14 lb 7 oz and 23.5" long. He's chirping like a bird, which is so fun to hear!

No shots here. Our pedi is great about it but frowned that I was not giving him vitamin D supplements. I told her we get out regularly - walking - and sitting in the park thanks to his older ds, so, I don't see it as necessary.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#21 of 77 Old 06-08-2009, 01:00 AM

It's so good to read that our babies are growing so well. I was beginning to wonder if my baby was getting too chubby. Last week at her 6 week (late at 7 weeks though) appointment with the midwife she weighed 14 lbs 7 oz and measured 23 inches long. We have an appt with our family doctor this week, so it'll be interesting to see if she gained another pound.
#22 of 77 Old 06-08-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
not to freak anyone out, but I'd be very leery of the newer vaccine they are giving (the oral rotavirus).

you may not be aware, but this vaccine was just approved last year. the one before it killed many babies causing twisting of the intestines (intussusception) and was pulled from the market in 1999.

r. KWIM?

XOXO
B
No- the incidence of intussuception was LOWER among babies that got the first rota shot. It was pulled because of the public relations fiasco and effectiveness issues.

We have our app't on the 16th. I have filled two WHO cards with immunizations, DH 1.5 cards, DD1 is all up to date including OPV, and not a reaction to be heard of, so DD will get the whole shebang, though sadly not OPV since we want Pentacel for fewer shots overall.

Quote:
There is no "scientific reason" for the schedule as it is now
There is. It's based on when the diseases are most likely to have fatal or permanently damaging complications, when babies can get exposed, etc. They didn't just pull it out of their butts.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#23 of 77 Old 06-09-2009, 08:12 PM

I took Nora into work today, and she's 9lb11oz. That's four pounds lighter than her sister at this age, even though Nora was half a pound heavier at birth.

I spent a while chatting with a co-worker about it and looking at growth charts together- I've decided be zen about the differences and trust her to get what she needs (I offer to nurse all the time, and she only nurses when she's ready and hungry). I do have an appointment to see our family doctor next month to talk about allergy issues and get a referral to our ped. immunologist, so I'll weigh her again then to make sure she's still gaining.

She's a lovely *little* girl- it's funny to think that at two months she still weighs much less than many of your babies did at birth!

#24 of 77 Old 06-10-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
There is. It's based on when the diseases are most likely to have fatal or permanently damaging complications, when babies can get exposed, etc. They didn't just pull it out of their butts.
How so? Please tell me more. How is a newborn likely to get Hep B? Even my ped has said it only makes sense from a "public health standpoint" because later in life, they won't be contracting hep B if they engaged in risky behaviors.

Is anyone really at risk for Diptheria? And why MMR so late? Measles is definetly something very risky for newborns. They wouldn't be at risk if we were able to pass immunity through breastmilk. But now, we have babies under 1 year contracting it.

Sorry, but I have done the research and there's no magic reason for the schedule as it stands. They try to cluster them around typical well baby visits and they try to decrease the number of shots by combining them into huge combo shots.

Pertussis is a risk to babies under 6 months, but you need FIVE shots to get 66% effectiveness. You are well out of that age range by then.

What newborn is at risk for tetanus? My son is too small to even touch the dirt with his feet.

Have they considered the blood brain barrier when they did their schedule planning? Or even consulted immunologists and allergists? Paul Offit claims we could get up to 1,000 vaccines in one day with no ill effects. Riiiiiight.

And where did you get your information about the rotarix and intussusception? Public relations fiasco?

I read the Rotarix study and it was compared against a PLACEBO VACCINE. So the control group was not unvaccinated. They were given some other kind of vaccine. I'd like to know what was in it. That is hardly a control group IMO.

Secondly, they did not conclude that the rate of intussusception was lower or negligible. They stated clearly that the confidence interval was wide. This means that the results are essentially unreliable. If you are familiar with statistics, the confidence interval being low means you can't trust your results very much.

I do not believe for a second that the vaccine was pulled because of PR problems if they had the data to support no increase in intussusception. Logic tells you that this would be incredibly stupid for the vaccine industry, because any stoppage in production based on concerns is like admitting a faulty product. Liability city.

In fact, the data seems to point in another direction:
"In September 1999, the FDA announced that 99 cases of intussusception (including two deaths) had been reported in possible association with RotaShield. This is a sharp increase from the 15 that had been reported when the vaccine was halted in July."

Down from 99 to 15 after the vaccine is halted? Hmmm.

New vaccines are experimental, any way you slice it. There are young children in Japan coming down with shingles now as a result of Chicken Pox vaccination. It takes time to see the real effects of a new vaccine. Intussusception or simply serotype replacement aftereffects or an epidemiological shift to more vulnerable populations (i.e. young babies and adults who cannot handle VPDs that are best handled in childhood years). All are consequences we don't see coming until later.

XOXO
B

#25 of 77 Old 06-10-2009, 12:34 PM

Just curious about the Vitamin D issue? Are any of you doing this?

We live in Houston and its sunny as all get out here and we didn't think it was necessary. Then my doctor friend told me that 50% of people living in Hawaii are Vitamin D deficient and he has almost all his patients supplement with it.

DH, DD and I take it. But are we supposed to give it to a newborn? I don't know anything about that really. Never heard it before.

Hmmmm.

XOXO
B

#26 of 77 Old 06-10-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Just curious about the Vitamin D issue? Are any of you doing this?

We live in Houston and its sunny as all get out here and we didn't think it was necessary. Then my doctor friend told me that 50% of people living in Hawaii are Vitamin D deficient and he has almost all his patients supplement with it.

DH, DD and I take it. But are we supposed to give it to a newborn? I don't know anything about that really. Never heard it before.

Hmmmm.

XOXO
B
our ped recommended this, but i'll be damned if i'll give her the stuff they gave us, which had carmel coloring and corn syrup. i mean, seriously, who cares what color it is? carlson's makes baby d drops that are just administered w/ a drop on the nipple. i think they're in a coconut oil base.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#27 of 77 Old 06-10-2009, 07:14 PM

We do vitamin D. They make an even bigger deal about it in Canada, because of decreased sunlight levels. I also use a coconut oil based d-supplement. (Couldn't stomach buying D-Vi-Sol, made by a formula company "for breastfed babies" : ). Studies done on adult women in British Columbia show that most are deficient. Some does transfer in breastmilk, but levels are not reliable/consistent in a "deficient population". If you're in a sunny place and think your levels are good and baby gets some sunlight, this seems less needed. Skin colour matters, too- lighter skin absorbs more vit D from the sun. Dark skinned people living farther North are at higher risk. LLL has good info on their website last time I looked.

I think the chances of my baby getting rickets are very low, but vitamin D seems to be the new wonder-drug- studies associating deficiency with MS, diabetes and more have me convinced that it's worth it.

That said, I stopped it with the elimination diet. I'm going to re-introduce it next week and trial coconut for myself, too. I took vitamin D when pregnant, while breastfeeding and gave it to baby. Sorry I don't have any of the links for this information at my fingertips. I gave Nora 400 IU daily, though I suspect that the recommended dose is going to be increased.

#28 of 77 Old 06-11-2009, 09:59 AM

Caleb had his 2 month yesterday!

11 lbs 11 oz
22.6 inchs long
15.7 inchs head

Dr. said he's is perfectly proportional for height, weight and head size.he was awake the whole time smiling and cooing for everyone! His left testitcal has moved down (hadn't dropped at birth) and you can see it now- so looking like no surgery later- if it hadn't by a year then he would've had to have put into place.

The nurse stayed in the room the whole time just to play with him.Said he was the cutest she'd seen all day! He's a charmer just like his dad (but its cute on him!) wrapping the ladies around his finger already!

No vacs- we're delaying them till 6 months at least. Dr. said she was required by law to tell me these dieases are still out there and I should vac him but was totally cool otherwise. I think she may see this alot more than other drs since the clinic is in Childrens' hospital and a national hospital. But she did say she recommends starting before 6 months, maybe at 4 months- before the older dc go back to school in sept. That's aug- think we will wait at least till 6 months anyways- that'll be oct and the olders will have only been in school a month- feel confident that they won't bring home anything in a month! Still want the time to figure out if we'll do selective vacs and which ones to do also want to look into Dr.Sear's schedule.

But I have to admit this was the first time I left an appt and didn't feel guilty. W/the others I always felt so bad- they were crying so hard because of the shots.He was happy! My dc only go in for well-child checks so they always assiocate the dr w/pain.Oh and a book!
#29 of 77 Old 06-11-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
In fact, the data seems to point in another direction:
"In September 1999, the FDA announced that 99 cases of intussusception (including two deaths) had been reported in possible association with RotaShield. This is a sharp increase from the 15 that had been reported when the vaccine was halted in July."
Not true. That is not a statement by the FDA. Who said it?

The raw data shows that there were more cases among those who did not get the vaccine.

ETA: Hep B is something you can get from a health-care worker, or a traveler, or in the hospital. DD1 got hep A vaccine as well.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#30 of 77 Old 06-11-2009, 12:22 PM

Oh, and no vit. D here. It's summer! We live in WA State, notoriously sunless, but nobody even suggested it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page