heat rash? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone else dealing with this? g has had it since she was 6 weeks (shes 10 now), and every time i think its going away it comes back. im almost ready to take her in for a 2nd opinion. it looks like little bumps or zits all over her chest, shoulders, back of her neck, face, and a few scattered on her arms. blah!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#2 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 12:50 PM

eden usually gets them on her face when she's really hot and they're just as you described, but they usually go away pretty quick. any way the bumps are more hormone-related from breast milk?

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#3 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 12:57 PM

yeah, we live in India and my son has been getting the rash since he was born...it goes away only to come back and I've tried the Indian remedy of applying the talcum powder (nothing), Thai remedy of applying the turmeric juice (slight, minuscule improvement, not worth the yellow stains), the cream for burns which I normally use for diaper rash (improvement but comes back as soon as I stop applying)

Therefore, I stopped bothering, and he doesn't seem to be bothered either....guess it looks worse then it really is:
#4 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

yeah i thought about it being from the breastmilk.i did take out regular milk for about a week to see if it would help with her spitting up, and that corresponds with the rash lightening up for a bit (but not completely). it doesn't go away fast, it goes away gradually. and then comes back gradually over the course of a day or so. its spossed to cool down here pretty soon so maybe that will help. ive had her in just a diaper trying to keep her cool. it isnt THAT hot here, but when we nurse or i hold her she gets hot and sweaty, so i think that may be the cause.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#5 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Mine had exactly what you describe, which everybody around me said was heat rash. It has gotten better this week, but I'm not sure whether it's because his baby acne also cleared up or because we got an air conditioner (so he's coming home to a cool house after hot outings).

I'm with you on keeping them in dipes only when it's warm. This LO hates to be even a little too hot!

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#6 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 02:26 PM

i recommended this to someone else, but it was a life saver a couple of weeks ago when it was in the 90s here and dd was MISERABLE...nurse in a cool shower. It's very calming for the lo. Just make sure water isn't pooling in the ear and keep a tight hold on a limb (not just squeezing against the body).

#7 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
i recommended this to someone else, but it was a life saver a couple of weeks ago when it was in the 90s here and dd was MISERABLE...nurse in a cool shower. It's very calming for the lo. Just make sure water isn't pooling in the ear and keep a tight hold on a limb (not just squeezing against the body).
ooh thats a good idea. ill remember that for when it gets hotter out here. i dont think it helps either that dd2 is chubby and sweats like crazy. i have to wipe off under her baby boobies and in between her chin and thigh rolls . lol.

#8 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 02:56 PM

We have this, too, though it's been better in recent days. When Z gets hot and bothered (because he wants food) it's most noticeable.

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
#9 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 03:11 PM

FWIW-I thought Miss K had heat rash and she ended up being allergic to my laundry detergent...I started washing all of my clothes in her detergent and it was gone in a couple of days. Also, the doctor told me that spots on her skin was contact dermititis, meaning she was touching what she was allergic too and it wasn't something I was eating.

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#10 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 04:09 PM

N has small bumps on her face and upper chest, I just thought it was baby acne?. Sometimes when in the wrap they get more pronounced. Maybe a heat thing? The brightness goes away but she still has the bumps. Doesn't seem to bother her so I havn't done anything...how can you tell between baby acne and heat rash?
#11 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmomma76 View Post
FWIW-I thought Miss K had heat rash and she ended up being allergic to my laundry detergent...I started washing all of my clothes in her detergent and it was gone in a couple of days. Also, the doctor told me that spots on her skin was contact dermititis, meaning she was touching what she was allergic too and it wasn't something I was eating.
hmm ill have to keep track of which detergent i use vs what the rash is doing. i do laundry at my moms, and have one kind there, or at my grandparents and use theirs which is another brand.

#12 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky leeuhhh View Post
ooh thats a good idea. ill remember that for when it gets hotter out here. i dont think it helps either that dd2 is chubby and sweats like crazy. i have to wipe off under her baby boobies and in between her chin and thigh rolls . lol.
! baby boobies good job with the milk, leah!

#13 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

lol yep she is seriously chubby wubby. i looked for her armpit today for a few minutes and couldnt find a fold i could say was for sure an armpit.

#14 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 05:36 PM

So now I'm thinking it is a heat rash on LO face and upper chest from wearing her in the wrap, sometimes we are skin to skin and sweat. Should I do anything?
#15 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
So now I'm thinking it is a heat rash on LO face and upper chest from wearing her in the wrap, sometimes we are skin to skin and sweat. Should I do anything?
if its not bothering her i wouldn't worry about it. i realized that the side of her face that breaks out the worst is always the one she sleeps on the night before. well, now she moves her head from side to side throughout the night and at nap times, so she's super broken out on both sides. doh!

#16 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 10:44 PM

Make sure the carseat isn't hot. I also just let her hang out in a diaper during the day at home.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page