THE exercise accountability thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 06-22-2009, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we just joined the YMCA around the corner from our house. I'm optimistic. Only $50 per month for the whole family and free childcare (which looked nice). I ran into a friend from the park there and she said her son loves the childcare and she "lives there." So that was a nice endorsement.

DD is already signed up for swim lessons starting July 13. Planning to go for our first family swim there today after DD gets up from nap.

Also hoping DD can get into the karate class. (The swim lessons and karate cost extra, but not too much). karate is $35/month with 2 classes a week. Swim lessons were $52 for 8 classes. The karate class is for 5 and up, but we were told we could talk to the instructor and see if they would allow her to try. DD is very verbal and has a good attention span. I think she could handle it, and very much wants to try karate. If it didn't work out, that would be fine too. I just don't see her being a problem child running around and not paying attention. She's a pretty focused kid when she's into something.

They have a full schedule of group exercise classes that are included, and nice machines and such. I hope it works out!
XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#32 of 59 Old 06-23-2009, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I walked 3 + miles today!!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#33 of 59 Old 06-23-2009, 11:00 PM

Good luck, Beth- the Y sounds great!

I did a ton of walking yesterday with Nora in carrier and Neela in the stroller. It's pretty good exercise up the hills!

No run for me today, though, since I have mastitis and think that the running bra would be bad news. Spent most of the day topless in bed nursing.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#34 of 59 Old 06-24-2009, 12:19 AM

I did some more biking yesterday and swam for 30 minutes today. This thread keeps me going, but DH's reminders and an informal exercise challenge with a good friend in the midwest provide additional motivation. If I can keep this up, I will be more in shape than I've been in several years. :

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#35 of 59 Old 06-24-2009, 02:46 AM

we went swimming at the Y yesterday and Milena had a blast. I find taking a 2 month old to the pool a bit of an exercise in frustration, but Vincent didn't really fuss. Its just not that fun to try and hold such a young baby in the pool, mess with swim diaper, and so forth. My bathing suit has stiff breast cups and nursing in it is ridiculous. I put a towel over his head and pulled the strap down and tried to hold the breast cup down, but it was a nutty scenario for sure. We were not very "discreet" wrestling under a towel for 10 mins.

I went today to work out and took both the kids to childcare. It worked out great! Milena loved the childcare and Vincent slept most of the time. I did 30 mins on the treadmill. 1 mile light jog and 1 mile fast walk. When I picked the kids up, Milena wasn't yet ready to go. :. Vincent had just been put into a swing and looked content enough. The childcare lady said he fussed a bit when he first woke up so she moved him to the swing.

Am going back tomorrow morning and considering attempting to take them both swimming by myself after the workout. Is that nuts? Milena has a floatation suit.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#36 of 59 Old 06-28-2009, 10:31 AM

I managed to "catch up" with the running program with runs on Thursday morning and Friday evening. I'll do another today and be back on track with my running partner for Tuesday.

Nora has been less happy with the stroller this week, so I ran after she fell asleep Friday evening so I could do it without stopping to entertain, etc. I'm trying to time runs for when she's tired and can have a nap in there instead of getting bored looking at black for 30 minutes.

#37 of 59 Old 06-28-2009, 09:42 PM

YAY! 'm acutally joining you all! I borrowed a Wii and Wii fit from a friend and startind my "training" today. I did 20min. It is sooo fun and I worked up a sweat. I plan to do at least 20 min a day this week then go to 40 min a day next week. I want to loose 20 lbs by end of Sept...when I have to give the Wii back! I love how the Wii tracks everything for you. I was thankfully just overweight and not obese! Though my Wii age was 37 and I'm only 28...YIKES!
#38 of 59 Old 06-29-2009, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

ok, well, I started the thread...then lo got sick, and i haven't been able to put her down for 10 days. any time i had without her in my arms was spent trying to do laundry or catch up on work. didn't even get my house cleaned up until yesterday. blah. anyway, does walking her around and bouncing her and swinging her side to side in my arms count as exercise?? Otherwise. I'm screwed for the last 10 days and have to start over! LOL

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#39 of 59 Old 07-01-2009, 12:28 PM

15 pounds to go. Softball tomorrow.
Running has been easier. Yay!

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
#40 of 59 Old 07-01-2009, 01:27 PM

I started the couch to 5K program Monday (thanks MelW!!) and walked yesterday. Second run day today...

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
#41 of 59 Old 07-01-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

nak

hark...what's that? mommy's exercising? time to awake...

i got 2 minutes...literally on the wii fit...

will try again after nursing!

#42 of 59 Old 07-02-2009, 10:47 AM

puttin it on hold...sweaty breasts do NOT help with yeast...sigh.
#43 of 59 Old 07-02-2009, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

hmmm, well i ended up managing to get 43 minutes on the wii fit yesterday...that's fit credits for those fellow wii people...broken up over the day and paused in the middle...

I hope to do at least 30 today, but I do have to work today, since I didn't go in yesterday....

#44 of 59 Old 07-02-2009, 02:05 PM

Nora is no longer a stroller fan. She wants to sit up and look out, which is fine for walking, but not for running. I'm about 50/50 on whether she lets me finish a run. I'm learning to time for when she's ready to nap but not overtired, and she'll fall asleep in the stroller. On the weekend I have been doing a run alone.

But we're still making it through the couch to 5K. I'm on week 5 now, with just the third run to go (20 minutes of just running!) :

#45 of 59 Old 07-02-2009, 03:45 PM

I'm doing so badly with this- cannot find time and energy. I am home FT w/ my 4yo son and baby, wearing baby 6-12 hours a day, and frequently walking w ds- 1/2-mile to 2 miles every other day or so. So I am guessing my back/abs are in decent shape (under that layer of mush...). But... last night I was so tired that I was dizzy! Alas. I'd love to discover 30 minutes a day to exercise but not there yet. Baby is only just now 2 months- in about a month from now we'll be staying with my folks for 4 weeks so I will use that time to start the couch-to-5K when I have a little more help w. the kids (DH is out of the house from 7:30A-6:30P). I'm going to try and get about 15 minutes of yoga in today just to stretch my back and strengthen my arms- if I could even do that regularly I am sure I'd feel better!

At least my weight seems stable and I think I am losing about a half a pound a week. I'd like to see it more like 1-2 lbs a week, but I'll take it. At least I am not gaining weight PP like last time.

dissertating mom to three

#46 of 59 Old 07-02-2009, 07:35 PM

I wanted to weigh myself at the doctor's today out of curiousity, but couldn't figure out how to do it logistically. So me+clothes and shoes+baby+ergo is 139lbs. I figure I must be around 125, which is my pre-pregnant weight.

My body is still pretty different of course- bigger breasts and I think my butt padding has moved down to my thighs

#47 of 59 Old 07-02-2009, 08:28 PM

Congrats, Mel!

I stalled my weight loss again with weekend cheating (preg weight is gone but still have about 18 lbs 'til my preferred weight). I do best on low carb, no grain eating. Especially lately it seems like my body wants to hoard away every bit of grain or sugar I eat, stored as fat. It's so hard to say, "No, Dad, please do not take me to a fancy Japanese steak house." It took me five days to make up for the obscene amount of weight I miraculously managed to gain from that meal with rice, some cookies, and a little bit of candy on Saturday. But I've made up my mind not to go out like that again. When Dad comes to visit next week, I will cook for him.

Formal exercise has not gone well. I can't bring myself to go out alone after that one day when the baby cried and DP could not comfort him. So we got the EA Sports Active game for the Wii! I'm excited. I've also been doing a lot of heavy work around the house, esp. yesterday.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#48 of 59 Old 07-06-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
puttin it on hold...sweaty breasts do NOT help with yeast...sigh.
decided to start again...did 20 min wii fit (total, I walk in place between games) yesterday and today as well as crunches and stretching...gotta get these 20lbs gone by end sept!

plus I feel better.
#49 of 59 Old 07-06-2009, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

This baby does not want to be put down! AT ALL. I get breaks long enough to work (mom has been sick, so I have taken her to work every day for a week) and no break to exercise. I did do the step on the wii fit while holding her the other day...it was gentler since I was holding her, so not sure how effective it was, but it was something. BLAH.

#50 of 59 Old 07-06-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmomma76 View Post
This baby does not want to be put down! AT ALL. I get breaks long enough to work (mom has been sick, so I have taken her to work every day for a week) and no break to exercise. I did do the step on the wii fit while holding her the other day...it was gentler since I was holding her, so not sure how effective it was, but it was something. BLAH.
Cooper does not like to be put down either so I did the Wii fit step with him in the bjorn. It had the best support for him while I did it.

I'm on week 2 of the couch to 5k!! I did the first run of week two today!

#51 of 59 Old 07-06-2009, 03:16 PM

My games keep getting rained out. I'm hoping for two this week! Meanwhile, my back is feeling the pain of carrying around my 15-pound monster. >.<

#52 of 59 Old 07-07-2009, 04:15 PM

Week 6 of the couch to 5K started today. On Saturday I did the 20 min run, which was two loops of the path around the lake where I run ::

I've figured out how to get Nora to not freak out in the stroller now- I leave when she's tired, do a warm up walk with her sitting up so she can see, then once she falls asleep lower the stroller so she's lying flat and do my run. I'm looking forward to her being able to sit up for a run safely in a few months, because I think she'll like it

#53 of 59 Old 07-07-2009, 06:18 PM

Good job everyone...sorry to the mamas who are having a hard time keeping it going! Routine is not my friend! I have gotten 3 days in so far...Wii fit hula hoopin (really works those thighs and abs!) and steppin as well as a few yoga poses, stretching and crunches. N sleeps just long enough to get about 30 min in and then she's been pretty good about laying on the changing mat on the floor naked while I shower.
#54 of 59 Old 07-08-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

I hope to get myself in gear this week more...my professional cheerleader cousing with 2 kids is visiting...she brought her centerfold calendar picture for her mother...BLAH....

#55 of 59 Old 07-08-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmomma76 View Post
I hope to get myself in gear this week more...my professional cheerleader cousing with 2 kids is visiting...she brought her centerfold calendar picture for her mother...BLAH....
how nice of her...

no wii today, went to beach instead but got a walk round few blocks tonite, cool out put N in moby, forgot how much I like it, will keep it for cool days and fall/winter!
#56 of 59 Old 07-09-2009, 12:06 AM

Ive been parking on the 4th floor of the hospital parking garage and taking the stairs. That is literally the only exercise Im doing. I REALLY want to work out too, maybe Ill head to the Y on Friday. I would love to do an hour on the elliptical!

wife. dd1 : dd2
#57 of 59 Old 07-10-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
Routine is not my friend!
BLAH. I cannot get this in. I make sure I have at least a babywearing walk everyday with DS, but its really hardly ANYTHING.

When I get to visit my parents (in about 3 1/2 weeks) I plan to start the couch-to-5K program, and on the non-running days to do 15-20 minutes of yoga. I hope I can get into a routine w/ more adult help around, and then keep it going when I get home. Baby just won't let me do much these days, and she and DS both throw a fit if I try to go out to an evening class. Even though DH is willing, I just can't leave them when they are both sobbing. And the little brats know it!

dissertating mom to three

#58 of 59 Old 07-10-2009, 04:28 PM

lol @ the centerfold story!

Well, EA Sports Active is great. DP and I are doing the 30 day challenge. I haven't gotten such a good workout since high school. We've both kicked another couple pounds since starting and already I feel like I have more endurance. It also helps that I don't have to leave the baby in order to get some exercise (beyond wearing him, I mean). A couple times I've just kept him nearby in his bouncy chair and paused the game whenever he fusses for me.

I'm really happy and just can't say enough good things about this game.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#59 of 59 Old 07-10-2009, 11:21 PM

Did DDR for 45 minutes and it kicked my butt. I played softball weds and thurs nights, too.

Running, however, makes my pelvis hurt like it used to when I had that monster kid inside me pressing on it. Well, not quite as bad, but certainly reminiscent. I'm not liking that. It'll go away I guess...

I have another 15 pounds to go from the 50 I gained before I can be myself again. I might be able to get into my jeans in 10 pounds. I think it's going to take a long time, but I expect to get into my ski clothes this winter. That's my realistic goal and they were perfect fits for me at my old size (6). It's all in my butt and thighs right now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page