THE exercise accountability thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 06-11-2009, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, you suggested it and I thought it was a good idea, so I started it!

Sunday I decided I was going to do something. And if I can't jog with LO, I will work out at home. My mother got me a WII fit for my birthday, so I have been doing at least 30 'fit credits' every morning since Sunday.

I haven't lost hardly any weight since giving birth, only 8 pounds. So, I am going to get back in shape this way. My short term goal is 20 pounds, long term it's 35 total, so 15 more after that 20. I have to lose the 20 to feel good again.

Who's next to share?

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#2 of 59 Old 06-11-2009, 04:04 PM

Great! When they cut our DDC off let's remember to move this to the weight management forum so we can continue!!!

I gained 30 lbs this pregnancy. I have 10 left to loose for pre pregnancy but then want to loose another 10 to my ideal. I'd like to loose at least the 10 by Sept.

I'm going to start with just walking once a day this week (starting today) during the daytime hours with the girls. Then on Monday moving it to twice a day, once in with the girls and then in the evening by myself or with LO in the wrap... Someone had told me to just walk around the block many times and take your cell, DH can call if he needs you for LO and your not far to get home fast. I honestly havn't excercised regularly in years...I hope I can do this. It'll be good for us 3 girls to get outside everyday!
#3 of 59 Old 06-11-2009, 05:06 PM

I'm in! I don't own a scale or have a weight loss goal, but I want to build strength and endurance again. And some better muscle tone, especially in my thighs/abs (see- thinking positively and calling them abs instead of belly )

Right now I'm getting in the daily exercise of carrying a newborn, walks to the park and general fun summer activity. I fit in some exercises on the mat at home when I can, and the occasional dance party here, too And I'm doing the couch to 5K running program- today was the second run of week two.

My short term goal is to be able to run 5K a couple times a week by the end of the summer. I'd like to be able to run 10K once a week by Christmas

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#4 of 59 Old 06-11-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
Someone had told me to just walk around the block many times and take your cell, DH can call if he needs you for LO and your not far to get home fast.
That's what I do! Er... 'til about a week ago. Need to get back on track.

So count me in. The pregnancy weight is technically gone, but I gained 10 lbs immediately before getting pregnant. Plus, I feel my best at about 10 lbs under that. So I'm looking to lose almost 20 lbs.

More than that, I'd just like to build up more strength. Carrying the baby around is more draining for me than it ought to be. I want to feel strong and capable, not winded. I have some underlying health issues, so I'm unsure whether this last goal can be reached... but I'm going to try!

I'll be aiming to get outdoors to do something active every single day, or at least do some DDR indoors if I can't get out.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#5 of 59 Old 06-11-2009, 06:49 PM

Oh me! Although I haven't been on the internet much lately...

I'm 2 days shy of 8 weeks pp.

Gained 35 lbs during my pregnancy--I lost all but 8 lbs within 2 weeks. I've been stuck since then with those 8 lbs! Plus, I was about 10 lbs heavier than I like to be when getting preggo. So, I'd like to lose 18 lbs for my ideal weight.

I eat healthy most of the time. BUT, I have a HUGE appetite. HUGE I'm telling ya. Especially while bfing (which I am). And, I drink TONS of water. I drink from a 48 oz glass container and I fill it 2 times MIN usually 3.

I've always walked a 3.5 mile loop 4-5 days a week with a friend, and we walk FAST. I just started back up with her at 6 week pp so I've been at it for 2 weeks. I also started on June 1st doing my "30 day shred" DVD with Jillian Micheals every other day. It is only 25 min. long and kicking my butt.

Plus, I bw my LO for walks and around the house...

So far, the scale hasn't budged, but I feel better

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
#6 of 59 Old 06-11-2009, 07:43 PM

I'm 5 weeks pp. I gained 70 lbs during my pregnancy. I've lost 30 so far (as of last week). I'd like to lose the remaining 40 plus an additional 15 which I put on while finishing my dissertation last spring. Realistically, it should take a long time to shed those pounds, but I'm hope to lose about 20-30 by the end of the summer.

I am still on pelvic rest and recovering from c-section, so I can't really start exercising until next week assuming I get a green light from OB. However, I've been taking walks every other day and I am back to about 2 1/2 miles. Today, I decided to also start doing yoga at home, primarily to build strength and flexibility.

I hope to start a more intense exercise program next week, spending about one hour five times a week at the gym. Since I am a big fan of cross-training, I'll probably do swimming, running, and pilates for the beginning with some light weight training for strength. Our gym has free childcare in the morning and DH has agreed to take DS for some time every afternoon if necessary.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#7 of 59 Old 06-11-2009, 07:51 PM

Im going to pretend i never saw this thread...

wife. dd1 : dd2
#8 of 59 Old 06-12-2009, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oh no!!!! I started a thread over in weight management/fitness or whatever before I saw this!!!! Oops!!!! I'll have to do a "nevermind" over there and copy and paste what I wrote here I suppose! I used my phone to start it and wasn't able to post the link over here in time I guess!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#9 of 59 Old 06-12-2009, 12:34 AM

Hi Ladies! Let's lose that baby weight! We discussed beginning this thread in our. Weekly chat and since I feel like I "really" started exercising today I figured it is a great day to get this started!

Why don't we all start by putting our ideal weight loss amount (if applicable) and then we can come on here and report what activities we have done and any weight loss, etc.

Ok, I got on the scale this morning and I'm a good 10 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight which is 10 above my ideal weight so I'd like to lose 20 pounds.

I know that my body is probably holding onto some of the fat it developed during pregnancy for breastfeeding, but I at the very least want to try to firm up .

Today I ran (in place with my Wii Fit) for 11 minutes, did about 14 minutes of an aerobics video and then walked (pretty fast and ran a little too) for about 45 minutes. My goal is to at least start most days with my 11 minute "Island Lap" run with Wii Fit and anything extra is bonus. This works for me because I can do it while LO is sleeping or in the swing, etc. I will also try to do a fast walk with LO most days.

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
#10 of 59 Old 06-13-2009, 12:18 AM

nak

How are you all doing?

Last night seeing this thread reminded me to exercise. Went out w/ LO in the sling and walked around for a bit.

Today I walked the mall then took DS1 to the park and played with him. Still have more energy to spend, so I might go out for a walk w/ baby again like last night.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#11 of 59 Old 06-13-2009, 12:30 AM

I had so many things to do in between nursing sessions that I had to skip the exercise. Maybe I can make up for it tomorrow.:

#12 of 59 Old 06-13-2009, 01:48 AM

I did an 18 minute (Wii) run today!!!! Of course I ate horribly today and feel icky :.

#13 of 59 Old 06-14-2009, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

well, guess i never should have started this thread...the last 2 days lo hasn't wanted me to exercise in the mornings and the rest of the day has been too busy...oh well!! i will do twice as much tomorrow...

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#14 of 59 Old 06-14-2009, 12:50 AM

I want to attend the local drop in pilates class on Wednesdays.
I'd like to start running again but I don't know what to do with my super big booblahs

I'd like to go from my presently size 15/16 back down to a 11 like I used to be. 130lbs would be nice again, but I have a long way to go from 195lbs...baby steps

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#15 of 59 Old 06-15-2009, 05:21 PM

yeah I only gained about 17lbs with this pregnancy and have lost 20 since I gave birth

BUT....

I was about 20lbs over the weight at which I started my FIRST pregnancy. Which wasn't small but I'd be pretty happy just to be that size. I think I looked good and felt good then. I've never been a skinny girl.

So I'd like to lose 20lbs. I am doing daily walks with the LO in the wrap, but have to figure out how to do more. Its so hard to fit it in w/ 2 kids and an infant who wants to be worn all the time.

Time to nurse!

dissertating mom to three

#16 of 59 Old 06-15-2009, 05:41 PM

Got my exercise in on Saturday, but Sunday was a bust. Unless dtd counts, lol... but I'm not counting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
So I'd like to lose 20lbs. I am doing daily walks with the LO in the wrap, but have to figure out how to do more. Its so hard to fit it in w/ 2 kids and an infant who wants to be worn all the time.
I know what you mean. LO used to go down reliably around 7 or 8 pm and then I'd go for a jog. Now he doesn't always sleep deeply enough to be laid down alone at that time of day. I wear him on walks, but that's not as satisfying to me as it is when I can really put all my effort into running hard.

Looks like a lot of us are in that 20-lbs-to-go club. I watched some home videos yesterday and saw myself 20 lbs ago. That added to my determination. It was neat to see myself feeling confident in my own skin

With DS1, I dropped about 10 lbs easy as pie when he was around four or five months old (he started to eat larger amounts, I guess). I'm hoping something similar will happen soonish. I'm eating very well right now and I am losing, but sooooo slowly. I'm too impatient for this.

DP is trying to lose as well. It's nice to have company.

#17 of 59 Old 06-15-2009, 06:58 PM

nak

Decided to start the more serious workout 3 days early after looking at pictures from last summer. Went to the gym and exercycled for 30 minutes. I took it easy but at least I feel I'm getting back into a routine.

#18 of 59 Old 06-16-2009, 02:11 AM

a vigorous walk after DS is in bed w/ LO in the wrap isn't a bad idea. I might be able to do a really hard 20-30 minute walk that way, just a couple loops around the neighborhood, and DP would like the alone time too I bet. Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. Its not a run or pilates class or anything, but this girl is only getting bigger and it might help in general getting my metabolism to speed up a bit.

With the gestational diabetes I noticed that an evening walk made worlds of difference in my fasting blood sugar numbers as well as overall blood sugar function. My blood sugar seems totally normal now whenever I do a spot test on it, but I'm guessing the exercise still has similar effects on my metabolism.

#19 of 59 Old 06-16-2009, 04:34 PM

I started week three of the couch to 5K today! Last September my husband and I ran a 14K together, and he said he would do a run with me this summer if I sign us up. So I'm browsing events online

#20 of 59 Old 06-16-2009, 04:56 PM

Woohoo Mel! I'd like to do a race with my hubby too.

I walked yesterday and Sunday and hope to walk today too.

#21 of 59 Old 06-16-2009, 05:05 PM

Glad people are doing well!

I walked around the park with the kids yesterday. Today I have to go early for an activity at my son's school, but there's 20-30 minutes between the end of the activity and when I can actually take him home. I'll probably walk around the park with the baby while I'm waiting. Well... at least, that's the plan so long as nobody chatty decides to hold me hostage in the parking lot. :

#22 of 59 Old 06-16-2009, 05:29 PM

Well I failed this week...unless walking up and down a four level split house with a 10lber strapped to me counts???

It's been raining here and even when not it stops it's too risky to try to walk with a newborn as it's high chance of rain all week!

Wish I had the wii fit...maybe my mom will get tired of hers?
#23 of 59 Old 06-17-2009, 11:56 AM

Went out to a yoga class last night and it was great! Its the first time I've done something like that. There is a nice studio not too far away that has a "community class" once a week- only $5. Its a pretty mellow class, moved slow but still quite strenuous for me (holing those poses for any length of time is really challenging for my core muscles). It felt GREAT on my back.

Going to just try to make sure I get in a good walk today, maybe after DS goes to sleep. I'm also thinking of trying to bust out some of my exercise DVDs and try 20 minute of that at night or during naptime. I don't have much luck with both kids- somebody seems to need my attention or to be held pretty much all day long.

#24 of 59 Old 06-17-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
I started week three of the couch to 5K today! Last September my husband and I ran a 14K together, and he said he would do a run with me this summer if I sign us up. So I'm browsing events online
Thanks again for sharing that link a while back. I decided that I will start this while visiting my parents for the month of August (more help w/ kids) and then see if it feels okay to continue w/ the stroller when I get home- baby will be about 4 mos by then so better able to sit in a stroller. Years and years ago when I used to run for exercise I was so fit and felt so good, and was the thinnest I've ever been. It might have also been that I was 18 years old though! I'm such an old lady compared to that now.

#25 of 59 Old 06-18-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
Thanks again for sharing that link a while back. I decided that I will start this while visiting my parents for the month of August (more help w/ kids) and then see if it feels okay to continue w/ the stroller when I get home- baby will be about 4 mos by then so better able to sit in a stroller. Years and years ago when I used to run for exercise I was so fit and felt so good, and was the thinnest I've ever been. It might have also been that I was 18 years old though! I'm such an old lady compared to that now.
I'm not really I runner, but I play one in my "mama life". I used to swim and bike, and learned to run so I could do a triathlon a few years ago. I'm slooooow, and not really built for running. But since getting out of the house is enough of a challenge some days, I love the ease of running since I can leave right from home. I haven't been to the gym in almost four years now.

Though my oldest HATED the stroller until she was around one. Today was our first fussy run with Nora. I made it about 2/3 of the way through by giving her a pacifier, but after that she was finished. So I carried her home and called it a day. We'll try again on Saturday

#26 of 59 Old 06-20-2009, 06:29 PM

Today, I finally managed to find the time to exercise again. 30 minutes on the bike and 30 minutes weight training. Now, I'm sore.

#27 of 59 Old 06-21-2009, 02:01 AM

Ok so since I reported last I ran with Wii 27 minutes on Weds, 20 minutes on Thurs and some abs, fast walked 2.5 miles yesterday and some abs and walked today.

Keep it up everyone!

#28 of 59 Old 06-21-2009, 08:27 PM

I didn't get to run on Saturday, but did a good walk with baby in carrier and Neela in the stroller (with big hills).

I did the third run of week 3 today- by myself while Nora napped at home!

#29 of 59 Old 06-21-2009, 10:23 PM

I've skipped the past couple days. The last time I went on a walk alone, the baby woke up while I was gone. When I arrived home, DP said the baby had been crying in his arms for over 15 minutes. Baby wasn't hungry or anything... fell right back asleep as soon as I touched him. DP was so frazzled by the crying and trying to comfort the baby, he'd forgotten to call my cell.

I felt bad... really shook up. I will go out again. Just didn't have the heart to try again soon after that.

My weight has kind of plateaued now, too. Kinda discouraging.

On a positive note, I have to say there have been days that I've ended up exercising even when I didn't feel like it, because of this thread.

#30 of 59 Old 06-22-2009, 01:27 PM

I'm doing so badly with my exercise. In my defense DS was extremely sick for a week and Friday was the first day he was better, so I really was stuck at home. The yoga class was great but almost a week ago now- I really am going to have to bust out the exercise DVDs. At least I am not gaining weight (that is what happened to me last time in the first few months) but EW I saw a picture of me in the background of someone else's picture and I look huge. I know it shouldn't be about that (should be about how I feel and my health and all) but I can't help it.

I do wear the girl for at least about 6 hours a day, that's got to be helping my core strength (and she's packing it on- I don't know how much she weighs but will find out tomorrow at our last MW appt. DS was 14lbs by 2 months, so she's probably somewhere close to that). And I take at least one, often 2 daily walks w/ DS to get around the 'hood, but its clearly not enough.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page