Dressing LO for weather - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2009, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know we are all from differnet climates...but I've always had a hard time dressing my children!

How do you dress LO at night onsie, sleeper both? and daytime? Do you put on a newborn hat (not sun hat) when windy out even if it's warm? What about in evening when it's buggy but a bit warm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 PM

I usually make sure that DS wears one more layer than I, esp. when we go outside. In the last few days when it was in the low 50s that meant he would wear a long-sleeve undershirt, a long-sleeved onesie, long pants, woolen socks or thin socks and shoes, a wool cardigan, and an infant hat.

When it was around 80, though, he wore a short sleeved onesie and a hat.

At night, he wears an long-sleeve undershirt, a sleeper with foots, a sleepsack, and a hat. He's wrapped in a swaddling blanket and sometimes we add an extra blanket (under 50 F). Once it gets warmer, he will wear less.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

Old 06-11-2009, 07:54 PM

At night, LO wears just a sleeper or a onsie and sleep sack. It is hot here, and we keep our a/c set to 75 degrees.

When ODS was a newborn, it was cooler at night, and he wore a onsie with a sleeper on top of that, and then was swaddled.

LO tends to wear just a onsie and socks during the day, but he is worn most of the day. I don't tend to put a hat on him unless we are in the sun.

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
Old 06-11-2009, 08:17 PM
LL7

Ryan wears a onesie during the day and a footsie or gown at night. He's also swaddled and has a blanket on while he sleeps... we keep the A/C down pretty low.

I've never been sure about when to put socks or caps on my baby so he's pretty much never worn either. All our newborn caps were too small - big head - and most of the socks were too small cause his feet are gigantic. Should he be wearing socks during the day? We're usually inside with the A/C on, but it's not cold. It's really hot outside. 100 degrees today!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurilj View Post
Should he be wearing socks during the day? We're usually inside with the A/C on, but it's not cold. It's really hot outside. 100 degrees today!
We don't have central heat and refuse to start the wood stove when it's above 45 during the day. Inside temperature on cold summer days is around 60, and that is why DS is wearing woolen socks. If it were above 70 I would not bother with socks either.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
I know we are all from differnet climates...but I've always had a hard time dressing my children!

How do you dress LO at night onsie, sleeper both? and daytime? Do you put on a newborn hat (not sun hat) when windy out even if it's warm? What about in evening when it's buggy but a bit warm?
well it's been pretty muggy here in general...when it's under 75, I dress her in 'spring' clothes, long sleeve t or outfit of some sort, socks, hat, sweater if necessary. Onesie under if outfit calls for it. I often will take off a layer if I'm going to wear her b/c she gets overheated. If it's warmer, Short sleeves, shorts/skirt, sun hat. Usually socks and little crib shoes to keep the socks on. She can be boiling and her feet will be cold.

At night, if it's hot (no a/c) she just sleeps in a diaper, socks and a swaddling blanket. If it's at all chilly, a sleeper w/socks or footies and a swaddling blanket.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:34 PM

How do you dress LO at night onsie, sleeper both?
Whatever allows easy diaper access... usually a long sleeve or short sleeve T. Socks if cold. And a blanket. (no swaddle for Houdini)

and daytime?
Same unless we go out. Then I stick on an "outfit."

Do you put on a newborn hat (not sun hat) when windy out even if it's warm?
No. Wind makes him stir. It's still a new sensation. I think he likes it.

What about in evening when it's buggy but a bit warm?
A baseball cap.

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
Old 06-11-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy11 View Post
Whatever allows easy diaper access... usually a long sleeve or short sleeve T. Socks if cold. And a blanket. (no swaddle for Houdini)

and daytime?
Same unless we go out. Then I stick on an "outfit."

No. Wind makes him stir. It's still a new sensation. I think he likes it.

A baseball cap.
i stick her in a plastic climate-controlled bubble. j/k plastic is poison

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Wow, we don't put any where near that many clothes on Ray. Most days he wears a short sleeved onesie and socks or a footed sleeper. No extra undershirts. I don't think he has worn a hat since he came home from the hospital. At night, he sleeps in just a diaper but we co-sleep with one of us holding him so we get pretty warm at night. The house is slightly cool with the a/c on but mostly socks seem to keep him warm. We don't go outside with him a lot but mostly just bring a blanket to wrap around him if we feel he is too cool.

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:22 AM

all g wears is a diaper. its been warm here tho, and you can read my thread below to hear about our rash issues, lol. i put a shirt on her if we go out, and she wears a sunhat in the sun. at night its the same. i mean without the hat because there's no sun at night .

wanted to add when it cools off she will be in babylegs and a dipe with a t shirt and socks, or longies and a t shirt and socks.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
Old 06-12-2009, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

THanks everyone! Forgot about babylegs, will have to get those out!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:30 PM

Daytime - if hot, onesie or t-shirt and diaper (barefeet) if we go out I either put him as is in carrier or if in carseat I'll throw a light blanket over, and sunhat if in sun.
If cold, just a sleeper, no hat so far.

Night time, sleeper and light blanket over.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 06-13-2009, 07:02 PM

Just a onesie, but we cosleep so he stays plenty warm.

and daytime?
Either a onesie and pants or a onepiece outfit. I am not a fan of constantly pulling shirts down from up under his arm pits. I keep a sweatshirt in my diaper bag incase we go somewhere thats really cranking the A/C.

Nope, he doesn't like hats and I hate picking them up when they fall off.

Whatever will keep those arms and legs covered.

I also keep a recieving blanket handy if he gets too warm, that way I can strip him down to his diaper and still have some skin/sun protection
Old 06-14-2009, 01:36 AM

At night-onsie or light sleeper...and she still sweats..she sleeps on me, and I am usually comfortable, and she's sweating...haven't figured that out yet...

Daytime, if we are going somewhere I know is cool, I put onsie and pants and socks on her, if we will be outside, I put only a onsie or a dress on her...

No hat, she hates things on her head. Cries over hats, blankets, hooded towels, etc...

I have citronilla bracelets I put on my ankle or someplace close but far enough from her to scare away the bugs, but not get on her,,, i also keep her covered...

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :

User Tag List