Runny/Stuffy Nose--no other symptoms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-11-2009, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little guy has had a runny and stuffy nose (how can he have both you ask? good question!) with no other symptoms for almost 2 weeks now. His snot is as clear as water, and he isn't any more fussy than normal. He just sounds kind of snorty/piggy when he nurses. lol

Anyone else's little one have this? It is dry and windy here lately--could it be from that?? Surely he couldn't have allergies this young, right?? Any ideas to get rid of the sniffles??

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
#2 of 7 Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyem View Post
My little guy has had a runny and stuffy nose (how can he have both you ask? good question!) with no other symptoms for almost 2 weeks now. His snot is as clear as water, and he isn't any more fussy than normal. He just sounds kind of snorty/piggy when he nurses. lol

Anyone else's little one have this? It is dry and windy here lately--could it be from that?? Surely he couldn't have allergies this young, right?? Any ideas to get rid of the sniffles??

my little guy has been a little stuffy since week 2 - we just use saline drops and it seems to help our Ped also recommended a humidifier.

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#3 of 7 Old 06-12-2009, 05:16 PM

can you suck the gunk out? I'd say that if he doesn't have any other symptoms he's probably fine. It may just be his reaction to environmental allergens/dust, etc. I second the idea of saline...and would suggest getting a nose-sucker to clean him out afterward.

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#4 of 7 Old 06-14-2009, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I've been sitting in the bathroom with him with the shower steaming up the place and then sucking his nose out. It seems to help alot immediately, but we can't hang out in the bathroom all day lol, so I'm trying to figure out what is causing it. I'm leaning towards the dust idea. It is SO windy here the last couple of weeks...

Thanks!

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
#5 of 7 Old 06-14-2009, 10:40 AM

Quinn's is the same way. Like clock work at 4 am each morning she starts sounding stuffy, grunty, etc... I've been using some saline drops and a nose sucker. Sometime I get stuff beside the saline out, other times nothing but saline. She hates it but she always sounds better.

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#6 of 7 Old 06-14-2009, 10:07 PM

Same here! Wierd!

My midwife suggested elevating the head of the bed... I put books under one side of the basinette. Keep meaning to put some phone books under the head of our bed, too, since she is in bed with us all night.

We also got a vaporizer. It makes the room nice and humid. We've been running it at night.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#7 of 7 Old 06-17-2009, 02:53 PM

We're having the same issue here. Doc said it could be reflux related OR "babies catch just about everything they come in contact with now. It could be a series of colds"

Basically we put drops of breastmilk up his nose (usually a drop here and there while he nurses to loosen the gunk) and then suck it out.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page