Tummy Time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 06-12-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so how much of this do you all do? When do you pick lo up if s/he fusses? I've been letting Eden play on her back with her play gym, which she loves. She'll play for like 30 minutes at a time...then before she gets bored/fussy, I flip her onto her stomach. She's generally content for about 1 minute. Then she starts to fuss. I generally will let her fuss a couple of minutes (as long as she doesn't get truly upset/distressed) and then pick her up. I hate letting her fuss, but it's when she's a little frustrated that she does things like try to turn over, move, etc....anyway, just wondering what you all do....

Mama to one little blur, watching everything move too fast. Eden 4/10/2009.
#2 of 28 Old 06-12-2009, 03:03 PM

I don't do "tummy time" really. Babywearing counts as tummy time, as they build neck and upper trunk muscles in looking around. Ben naps on his tummy so he also gets some time then. I have tried playtime on his tummy a couple times, but he freaks out, so I don't bother with it.

Liam was able to roll from belly to back by 2 months, so he wouldn't stay on his tummy even when I tried tummy time. So I just don't worry about it.

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#3 of 28 Old 06-12-2009, 03:17 PM

:-D I just wrote the same post on another forum today
I wear Joyce almost all the time and when she is not on me, she is on the couch, on her back, looking at her mobile she just loves ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euN--...eature=channel ). I see american websites speaking all the time about tummy time and I was a little bit worried but, well, when she's on the bed (or on us) on her tummy, she clearly shows she knows how to use her legs to go wherever she wants too and when I try to put her on her tummy on the couch (or on the bed if it's not sleeping time) she REALLY doesn't like it...
So... Well, I listen to her
#4 of 28 Old 06-12-2009, 03:25 PM

Racie said what I was going to say, babywearing is the same thing. They have to push "tummy time" in this country b/c so many babies are going from container to container and its important to mix it up.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#5 of 28 Old 06-12-2009, 03:26 PM

i practice rollovers with Z.
i tuck one arm in and coach him to roll.
i help him roll sometimes, as he does get frustrated.
he does it other times and loves the "yaaaaay!" part.
this lasts maybe 5 minutes.

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
#6 of 28 Old 06-12-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racie0417 View Post
I don't do "tummy time" really. Babywearing counts as tummy time, as they build neck and upper trunk muscles in looking around.
So I just don't worry about it.
Interesting...I was wondering about this as LO really does have good head neck control and is always using her arms to look around in the wrap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liseux View Post
Racie said what I was going to say, babywearing is the same thing. They have to push "tummy time" in this country b/c so many babies are going from container to container and its important to mix it up.
That makes sense! I was going to push it more but now I won't worry!

We only do 5 min of tummy time a day so far and learned that she can roll over pretty quickly sometimes. Last night at 8:30 when DD1 was in bed, DH had her on the floor on the play mat on tummy and she lifted her head so high and for so long and actually smiled. DH really played with her for a while, that was the first time. And she slept great, maybe she needed a new face and to be worn out.
#7 of 28 Old 06-12-2009, 04:39 PM

it doesnt really work here cause when i put her on her belly she either sucks on the floor or falls instantly asleep. she gets plenty of playtime with us so im not worried.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#8 of 28 Old 06-12-2009, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky leeuhhh View Post
it doesnt really work here cause when i put her on her belly she either sucks on the floor or falls instantly asleep. she gets plenty of playtime with us so im not worried.
hahaa! i put dd on a play mat, otherwise she would do just that.

good feedback on tummy time...now I don't have to feel guilty that she doesn't do it every day. She spends plenty of time in the mei tai and on our chests. She can hold her head up quite well, but I thought there was some other important brain development issue at hand.

#9 of 28 Old 06-12-2009, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've never done tummy time or coached them to do anything. They eventually figure it out, and honestly they are much easier before they get mobile and can reach things. :

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#10 of 28 Old 06-12-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racie0417 View Post
I don't do "tummy time" really. Babywearing counts as tummy time, as they build neck and upper trunk muscles in looking around.
ditto this

never did tummy time with ds1 and he crawled at 7 months, walked at 9 months.

tummy time was invented because of all the bouncy chair, carseat and not in arms times, and back to sleep program started.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#11 of 28 Old 06-12-2009, 09:43 PM

like they all said. babywearing is great. sometimes I put Phoebe down on her tummy but if she's not loving it, I pick her up or flip her over.

I got this big speech from a very trusted friend who is a pediatric physical therapist and feldenkrais practitioner back when DS was about 4 mos old about how the floor or our arms are where babies belong. so, that is what I guiltlessly did after that and for better or worse I have an extremely physical, coordinated son. Its my plan with Phoebe too. She's only just lately willing to play on her back for a bit on a blanket- I'll take it. And she has GREAT head control in the wrap/sling, so that doesn't worry me.

It was funny with DS I remember the ped saying "I can tell he gets lots of tummy time" and I looked quizzical and she rephrased it, "I can tell he doesn't spend a lot of time in a seat". I asked why and she said he had a round head and such a strong neck.

dissertating mom to three

#12 of 28 Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 PM

he constantly held and in sling so if it counts he gets tons!

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#13 of 28 Old 06-15-2009, 02:42 AM

Wow! Lots of info in this thread that I didn't know before. Glad you all posted! I've not done tummy time with either of my kids but they've spent plenty of time on me.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#14 of 28 Old 06-15-2009, 12:24 PM

fail

#15 of 28 Old 06-15-2009, 12:25 PM

Awww... he's adorable!

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#16 of 28 Old 06-15-2009, 01:46 PM

so cute!!!

Timmy does not enjoy tummy time, but spends most of his time in the sling or sleeping on our chests. I didn't really do it with my other kids.
#17 of 28 Old 06-16-2009, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy11 View Post

at least he's not crying! he is awesome, nancy

#18 of 28 Old 06-16-2009, 05:12 PM

Vincent actually seems to LIKE tummy time which is bizarre to me. I also sometimes put him on his tummy across my tummy and he likes that. He has one of those silly "surfboard tummy time" mats that someone gave us. He seems to actually like doing it. But his neck is crazy strong, so it doesn't seem too hard for him to hold it up.

I see no signs he is trying to roll over at all though. He seems more mellow than DD (who was crawling well at 4 months).

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#19 of 28 Old 06-17-2009, 10:37 AM

i've put her on her tummy a few times and she doesn't really get annoyed per se, but she just kinda gives up. she holds her head up for a while, looks around, moves her feet and butt, moves her arms, and then just sorta slowly drifts downward until she's just lying there in defeat. still not pissed off, just...zoning out. it kinda creeps me out a bit actually. she just seems so resigned to it. like "well, i had a good run. might as well just lie here."

: maybe i'm projecting?
#20 of 28 Old 06-17-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncaMama View Post
i've put her on her tummy a few times and she doesn't really get annoyed per se, but she just kinda gives up. she holds her head up for a while, looks around, moves her feet and butt, moves her arms, and then just sorta slowly drifts downward until she's just lying there in defeat. still not pissed off, just...zoning out. it kinda creeps me out a bit actually. she just seems so resigned to it. like "well, i had a good run. might as well just lie here."

: maybe i'm projecting?
she's probably thinking "I know my mom's a softie, so if i look pathetic enough she'll pick me up" who wants to waste all those good calories screaming....or she could be one of those kids who's going to really like sleeping on her tummy.

#21 of 28 Old 06-17-2009, 02:20 PM

Well, Miss K doesn't seem to like tummy time, but I haven't put her on her tummy much. I do put her on my tummy, tummy to tummy, and she lifts her head up some, mostly she straightens her legs and lifts her behind up!! LOL We'll see about some more tummy time, but she doesn't spend much time not on me or someone else, and just sitting anywhere, she prefers to be touching me, and will accept someone else sometimes, but only tolerates her bouncy or swing only for a few minutes at a time, like 10 max.

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#22 of 28 Old 06-17-2009, 03:00 PM

I don't think it's a big deal unless they get no opportunity to exercise their abs, back and neck from anything else. I only do it once in a while cuz it's fun to watch him try to roll over. More often than not, I'm holding him up on his legs to stand. He absolutley loves doing that and pretty much hates "tummy time." Zack also likes to sit up, which is also good practice. Anything that gets them off their heads and using their muscles is good, IMO.

After all, he's an athlete in training! (watch, in the end he will hate sports like his dad and i will cry)

#23 of 28 Old 06-29-2009, 10:49 AM

I just started cloth diapering and maybe I'm folding them wrong, but they stick out so much that when I try tummy time now DSs little legs and feet don't even touch the ground. He sort of balances on the CD like a teeter-totter. Sigh. I wonder it these big ol diapers will delay rolling over and crawling and whatnot.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#24 of 28 Old 06-30-2009, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

do you already have him in big prefolds? eden has infant size (they go up to about 15 lbs). green edge. If you can't get those, experiment with some different folds. But it shouldn't delay anything. kids can get past most any obstacle.

Try folding down in back instead of front, or turning the diaper 90 degrees and folding in the sides with colored edges. Or try the twist fold. GL!

#25 of 28 Old 06-30-2009, 08:55 AM

Someone at a party this weekend was talking to me about how tummy time, and crawling too, must be relatively recent developments in human history, because it's only been the past couple hundred years or so that there have been clean, not-rough surfaces to put baby down on.

unschooling in nyc

#26 of 28 Old 07-02-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
do you already have him in big prefolds? eden has infant size (they go up to about 15 lbs). green edge. If you can't get those, experiment with some different folds. But it shouldn't delay anything. kids can get past most any obstacle.

Try folding down in back instead of front, or turning the diaper 90 degrees and folding in the sides with colored edges. Or try the twist fold. GL!
Ooooohhhh...twist fold is new to me! I'm a-gonna try it! I'm interested in learning some new and better folds actually, mine suck and I usually just end up doing a straight-up trifold, which tends to leak.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#27 of 28 Old 07-02-2009, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherweh View Post
Ooooohhhh...twist fold is new to me! I'm a-gonna try it! I'm interested in learning some new and better folds actually, mine suck and I usually just end up doing a straight-up trifold, which tends to leak.
i'm finding the jelly roll to be thebest for dd right now!

#28 of 28 Old 07-03-2009, 10:32 AM

I met an 8 month old yesterday who can sit up when you put her in the seated position, but can't roll either way nor get herself in to that position. I am inspired for more floor time now....

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page